or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › OFFICIAL Toshiba firmware update thread: 2.0 and or CD is here!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL Toshiba firmware update thread: 2.0 and or CD is here! - Page 108

post #3211 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post

Thanks for the info, my box is downloading now.

Other than via the HD-A1 Internet Port.

Has anyone found a disk image to download yet?
post #3212 of 3260
I just updated my XA1 to 2.1 a half hour ago.

The player is still slow as molasses...too early to provide any real assessment, but seems fine so far. Playing Troy right now.
post #3213 of 3260
After the update I popped in King Kong in HD.... this is the first time I have tried this one... noticed several starts and stops while I was playing back the sacrifice scene... just tried the one scene.....

Have others had this problem with King Kong?
post #3214 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlK View Post

I just updated my XA1 to 2.1 a half hour ago.

The player is still slow as molasses...too early to provide any real assessment, but seems fine so far. Playing Troy right now.

You obviously haven't used the Samsung BDP1000. Then you'll know what slow is.

The Toshiba is much faster using the controls during playback - only slow on startup.
post #3215 of 3260
Please post when you guys find out anything. Especially regarding better hdcp behavior? I'll be in more of a hurry to drag out my 100' long cat5 cable and update mine if the fixes really seem to work.
post #3216 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

You obviously haven't used the Samsung BDP1000. Then you'll know what slow is.

The Toshiba is much faster using the controls during playback - only slow on startup.

True.
post #3217 of 3260
I have an A1 and I have a hard time saying "only slow on startup". I'm not talking comparatively, just as a general statement on the first models. Not that I don't enjoy mine. Just saying - lets not get crazy here!
post #3218 of 3260
Okay, I updated my A1. Took about 45mins and went smoothly.

Power up, for me, is definitely faster. Its about 15 seconds to the HD-DVD screen and about 30 seconds to the "No Disc" indication in the display. This is almost tolerable .

Loading an HD-DVD disc still takes over a minute, however.
post #3219 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

Okay, I updated my A1. Took about 45mins and went smoothly.

Power up, for me, is definitely faster. Its about 15 seconds to the HD-DVD screen and about 30 seconds to the "No Disc" indication in the display. This is almost tolerable .

Loading an HD-DVD disc still takes over a minute, however.

Yes, power up is a tad bit faster..but not a substantial improvement in my opinion.

A1/XA1 HD DVD disc load times have always been my main gripe...I wish that the product engineers would focus almost entirely on this issue in future updates.

The worst offender I have found yet is "The Thing". It takes close to two minutes to begin playing! Not acceptable by any standard of patience. I also have an A2, and it loads that same disc within a matter of seconds. After initial bootup, the A2 essentially reacts as well as a standard DVD player and is completely stable.

Kudos to Toshiba for impressive product evolution, but it's time to concentrate more so on user friendly response times in the later revisions of G1 player firmware.
post #3220 of 3260
Yeah, if I had to use this as my std DVD player, I would have replaced it with an A2 a long time ago. Luckily, I don't.

I'm afraid, however, that we are stuck with the performance we have on this unit. I'm sure the engineers are concentrating on G3, not G1. Also, it would not surprise me at all if the response times are somewhat hardware related. Remember, they were racing to get this thing to market before the competition. It wouldn't be surprising if corners were cut on the hardware side that just cannot be overcome now.
post #3221 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlK View Post

I agree..heck no, that p.o.s. does not deserve an ac outlet! That Samsung player is complete crap and with its horrid picture quality gave Blu-ray an ugly first impression. I suppose I should thank it for that. Die Beta-ray, die! Fail like all the other Sony conceived formats.

I do own a PS3 and the games are great, but why wear out the drive playing substandard Blu-ray movies? HD DVD is here now and forever.....the officially endorsed successor to DVD.

It's only a matter of time and destiny: Bye bye Blew-ray...please blow away, far far away.

Wow - such hostility about something as simple as a DVD player

I have both the Toshiba A1 and the Samsung BDP10000.
Personally, I could care less which format proves to be the more popular but I could not resist a few words about these 2 players.

The Toshiba A1 I have is a horrid piece of equipment. Everytime I go to put an HDDVD disk in it, I dread it because I know it is going to be a battle before I get to actually wacth a movie.
Wait forever for it to turn on and make darn sure that the TV and the receiver that the HDMI is connected to are on or I get the dreaded STOP message.
Half the time you then have to play the 'power game'

The 'power game' is where you have to reach behind the thing and pull the plug because it won't respond to the remote/front panel and then quickly plug it in and hit the open button.

If you ever switch the Toshiba's signal away on the Receiver or the TV, it goes into STOP mode and you get to start all over. Something I have to constantly warn family members about. Example, you decide to hit the Pause button and switch over to the Sat receiver to check tomorrow's weather report - You lose cause you forgot and the Player is in Stop mode.


My Samsung Blu Ray Player on the other hand is a great piece of HW.
The PQ issue was fixed with a firmware upgrade so that issue is gone plus I get to watch 1080P from it on my 1080P LCD TV.

I have never had to play the 'power game' with the Samsung and if you switch the signal away ,unless you pause it first, all that happens is that you will miss some of the movie because it simply continues to play, as it should.


It has one anoying thing as was pointed out.
There is a rather long delay between the time you hit the button on it's remote till the time the Samsung responds and you can often mess up because you don't think you hit the button so you hit it again - you get the idea.

Guess what - that is something to do with it's remote.
I have (like most people) a universal remote for all my stuff. In my case, I use the MX700 and the response time between a button push and the Samsung responding is as quick as all my devices.

Both of my players are first generation and I went into this expecting flaky equipment but to my surprise, Samsung got it right the first time yet my Toshiba sucks,so I quickly got spoiled.

I said I am format agnostic but because my Blu Ray player works as one would expect from a high end CE device, My Netflix cue always gets the Blu Ray choice first.


I use the Samsung for watching my SD DVD's for the obvious reason.
post #3222 of 3260
You have a defective A1. You should have got it replaced. Sure, it is slow to load a movie, but I have had no problems with mine.
I wish Tosh would give us a trade-in deal for the newer player.
Warren.
post #3223 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Q View Post

Wow - such hostility about something as simple as a DVD player

Oh, I was just having a little fun exercising my freedom of speech.

Quote:


I have both the Toshiba A1 and the Samsung BDP10000.
Personally, I could care less which format proves to be the more popular but I could not resist a few words about these 2 players.

The Toshiba A1 I have is a horrid piece of equipment. Everytime I go to put an HDDVD disk in it, I dread it because I know it is going to be a battle before I get to actually wacth a movie.
Wait forever for it to turn on and make darn sure that the TV and the receiver that the HDMI is connected to are on or I get the dreaded STOP message.
Half the time you then have to play the 'power game'

The 'power game' is where you have to reach behind the thing and pull the plug because it won't respond to the remote/front panel and then quickly plug it in and hit the open button.

What firmware is your unit running? If you have already upgraded to 2.0 or 2.1, and still experience these hdmi issues and lockups...then I would have to agree with "wnielsenbb" in declaring your A1 defective. Seek warranty service asap.



Quote:


If you ever switch the Toshiba's signal away on the Receiver or the TV, it goes into STOP mode and you get to start all over. Something I have to constantly warn family members about. Example, you decide to hit the Pause button and switch over to the Sat receiver to check tomorrow's weather report - You lose cause you forgot and the Player is in Stop mode.

OK, this experience is normal and is for security purposes. When you switch the hdmi signal away from your receiver and/or tv playback is _supposed_ to stop. The hdmi handshake was lost, the player immediately senses that and cuts the data feed. It's simply a mandated aggressive form of copy protection (they thought of everything!). If the Samsung player does not cut the feed after losing the handshake signal, then it is not in total compliance with the hdmi standard.


Quote:


My Samsung Blu Ray Player on the other hand is a great piece of HW.
The PQ issue was fixed with a firmware upgrade so that issue is gone plus I get to watch 1080P from it on my 1080P LCD TV.

I have never had to play the 'power game' with the Samsung and if you switch the signal away ,unless you pause it first, all that happens is that you will miss some of the movie because it simply continues to play, as it should.


It has one anoying thing as was pointed out.
There is a rather long delay between the time you hit the button on it's remote till the time the Samsung responds and you can often mess up because you don't think you hit the button so you hit it again - you get the idea.

Guess what - that is something to do with it's remote.
I have (like most people) a universal remote for all my stuff. In my case, I use the MX700 and the response time between a button push and the Samsung responding is as quick as all my devices.

Both of my players are first generation and I went into this expecting flaky equipment but to my surprise, Samsung got it right the first time yet my Toshiba sucks,so I quickly got spoiled.

I said I am format agnostic but because my Blu Ray player works as one would expect from a high end CE device, My Netflix cue always gets the Blu Ray choice first.


I use the Samsung for watching my SD DVD's for the obvious reason.

The pq issue was never actually fixed, but they found a simple workaround. They simply chose to reduce the intensity of video noise reduction, a visual cheat that fooled most eyes. Samsung never figured out how to fix the actual root of the problem: defective video scaler chips. They merely disguised the stink with more Lysol.

The 1080i/1080p visual quality debate as already been proven null and void. 1080i is 1080p in the form of interlaced fields. Any decent 1080p display will seamlessly convert 1080i to 1080p by combining those fields, resulting in the same exact picture. No resolution is lost, 1920x1080 is all there displayed progressively to your eyes.

Get your A1 repaired so you can begin to enjoy it. HD DVD movies look and sound superior to Blu-ray releases. The A1 will also upscale DVDs to much better quality than the BDP1000.
post #3224 of 3260
Latest firmware (2.1) and there is nothing 'defective' with my A1 other than being a lousy designed PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlK View Post


OK, this experience is normal and is for security purposes. When you switch the hdmi signal away from your receiver and/or tv playback is _supposed_ to stop. The hdmi handshake was lost, the player immediately senses that and cuts the data feed. It's simply a mandated aggressive form of copy protection (they thought of everything!). If the Samsung player does not cut the feed after losing the handshake signal, then it is not in total compliance with the hdmi standard.


BS

Please give me a link in the HDMI spec that describes this security 'feature'

That makes no sense and serves no purpose ,except to annoy the user, to go into STOP mode if the HDMI connection is dropped.


My HDTIVO does not stop the data feed if the HDMI connection is dropped nor does the Samsung
post #3225 of 3260
I have NEVER had to power cycle my A1. That IS a defect.
The HDMI stopping is annoying. Do they newer models do that too? It sucks trying to do an a-b comparison to the dvd player.
Warren.
post #3226 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Q View Post

My HDTIVO does not stop the data feed if the HDMI connection is dropped nor does the Samsung

for what it's worth, the 2nd generation toshiba players don't either.
post #3227 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

I have NEVER had to power cycle my A1. That IS a defect.
The HDMI stopping is annoying. Do they newer models do that too? It sucks trying to do an a-b comparison to the dvd player.
Warren.

HDMI is greatly improved on second generation toshiba players.
post #3228 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by leibniz View Post

for what it's worth, the 2nd generation toshiba players don't either.



But according to the HDMI expert in here, they are SUPPOSED to.
Sounds like your 2nd gen is in violation of that mythical paragraph in the HDMI spec
post #3229 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

I have NEVER had to power cycle my A1. That IS a defect.
Warren.

I was one for the first to buy the A1 and as time went on, it was discovered that it had a lot of wierd flukes. Some fixed by firmware and others by owning newer serial number models.

It is not a defect when others have the same problem either. We call that a design flaw.

The "First looks" thread is loaded with stuff like this:

Quote:


"By the way, don't ever hit the eject button until the disc has come to a stop. It will lock it up every time. "
:
:
:
"It froze and I had to disconnect the power cord to unfreeze"




I did not plan on this turning into a thread about MY experience.
I was simply pointing out to the original poster that I found his amazing level of hate towards Blu Ray a bit over the top because we are talking about entertainment stuff not serious things like the middle east.


I am done discussing MY A1. It is what it is.
post #3230 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Q View Post

Latest firmware (2.1) and there is nothing 'defective' with my A1 other than being a lousy designed PC.

Now THAT is BS, having to play the "power Game" by unplugging it.
You actually believe that is NORMAL behavior, it's NOT defective?
It is, because it shouldn't be happening, but if you feel like bashing Tosh and Singing the praises of the weakest BD player on the market, have at it if it makes ya feel better.

I have NEVER had to unplug my A1 to get it to work, I have NEVER had any kind of Power Issues at all.
I turn it on(I use the open disc button to save time), it loads, and opens...... I insert disc, I go get a drink, and I sit to watch it.

I also don't understand when you say it's "Obvious" why you watch the Samsung for SD's, because there is NOTHING obvious about it, except the fact that you have a defective A1.

Have a good day Joe

m
post #3231 of 3260
Often,people merely skim through messages and never really read them in their entirety so key points stated by the author are missed.
Therefore, the context that it was trying to convey becomes totally incorrect in the readers mind.
That had become obvious in this case so that is why I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Q View Post

I am done discussing MY A1. It is what it is.
post #3232 of 3260
I've discovered an oddity with 2.1 and wonder if anyone else can confirm...

It seems that I cannot get a bitstream audio signal now. If I select a DD+ or DTS track on the disc with my player HDMI audio out set to "auto" My receiver reports its receiving PCM96. With all previous versions of FW this would send a DTS bitstream.

I tried setting it to "bitstream" and it still didn't work. It appeared to be sending a PCM downmix in that scenario. "PCM" setting did the same thing.

The reason I care about this is because I have a Pio 84 that still has the "LFE bug". Now, here's the really weird part - using Riddick as a test disc when I select the DD+ track the receiver reports PCM96 and the sound has anemic bass (expected). But, when I switch to the DTS track on that disc, the receiver still reports PCM96 but the bass comes back to what appears to be proper levels...

How can this be, and can anyone else who has upgraded to 2.1 get a DTS bitstream over HDMI out of their player now?
post #3233 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

The reason I care about this is because I have a Pio 84 that still has the "LFE bug".

I have not tried my HD-A1 since the upgrade. Maybe I'll
play with it tonight.

As for the 84 - Pio has a FW update which fixes that.
post #3234 of 3260
Thanks. I know about the FW upgrade but, as I'm sure you know, it is not a simple procedure for most (having to ship somewhere) and I'm not prepared to rip apart my whole system for a week to get it. If you saw the back of my rack, you might understand .
post #3235 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

Thanks. I know about the FW upgrade but, as I'm sure you know, it is not a simple procedure for most (having to ship somewhere) and I'm not prepared to rip apart my whole system for a week to get it. If you saw the back of my rack, you might understand .

WITHOUT seeing the back of your rack - I do understand
some OWNERS are having difficulty getting the upgrade.
But it does fix some video problems as well.

Maybe by now some local Pio Service facilities can do the
update. I also know Pioneer is working on FIXING this
problem so future updates can be DONE by OWNERS.
post #3236 of 3260
1. I downloaded 2.1 to my HD-A1 last week.

2. Initialized the player.

3. Cleared the persistent memory.


The Results:

NO Blacker than Black. Blacker than Black is still being clipped in my HDMI to HDMI setup.
For you guys with DVI, don't feel bad! I have the same issue with an all HDMI signal path.


My regular configuration:

HD-A1 - HDMI out > HDMI in - Halcro SSP-100 (Scalar Bypassed) - HDMI out > HDMI in - Sim 2 C3X.


I tested the following configuration for shits and giggles:

HD-A1 HDMI out > HDMI in Sim 2 C3X = Still no Blacker then Black


NOTE: All other HDMI devices pass BTB in my setup without issue.


More results:

1. No apparent change in picture quality.

2. HDMI HDCP Handshake seems faster and more reliable.

3. I've never actually timed boot up, but it seems about the same.

4. I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang from Netflix. The disc was dirty and scratched. I did NOT bother with my usual pre HD DVD movie ritual.

The ritual = Clean the HD DVD and polish the scratches before attempting to view.


Straight out of the Netflix envelope, IT PLAYED WITHOUT FREEZING !!!!

Is it a Miracle?


There were some audio dropouts and pixelization but no freeze ups.

I can live with this, but I'll need to watch more movies to see if I just got lucky or if the player is actually more functional.


Typically, the slightest imperfection on the surface of an HD DVD results in a total freeze up and more often than not, several total freeze ups.

After a freeze up, I have to pull the AC plug to reboot the player.


In summation, if the BTB clipping issue is not resolved, this player is still a useless door stop to me, even if playback reliability is indeed improved.
post #3237 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodynamics View Post

1. I downloaded 2.1 to my HD-A1 last week.

2. Initialized the player.

3. Cleared the persistent memory.


The Results:

NO Blacker than Black. Blacker than Black is still being clipped in my HDMI to HDMI setup.
For you guys with DVI, don't feel bad! I have the same issue with an all HDMI signal path.


My regular configuration:

HD-A1 - HDMI out > HDMI in - Halcro SSP-100 (Scalar Bypassed) - HDMI out > HDMI in - Sim 2 C3X.


I tested the following configuration for shits and giggles:

HD-A1 HDMI out > HDMI in Sim 2 C3X = Still no Blacker then Black


NOTE: All other HDMI devices pass BTB in my setup without issue.


More results:

1. No apparent change in picture quality.

2. HDMI HDCP Handshake seems faster and more reliable.

3. I've never actually timed boot up, but it seems about the same.

4. I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang from Netflix. The disc was dirty and scratched. I did NOT bother with my usual pre HD DVD movie ritual.

The ritual = Clean the HD DVD and polish the scratches before attempting to view.


Straight out of the Netflix envelope, IT PLAYED WITHOUT FREEZING !!!!

Is it a Miracle?


There were some audio dropouts and pixelization but no freeze ups.

I can live with this, but I'll need to watch more movies to see if I just got lucky or if the player is actually more functional.


Typically, the slightest imperfection on the surface of an HD DVD results in a total freeze up and more often than not, several total freeze ups.

After a freeze up, I have to pull the AC plug to reboot the player.


In summation, if the BTB clipping issue is not resolved, this player is still a useless door stop to me, even if playback reliability is indeed improved.

No BTB with my A1 either. Its has FW 2.0. I've tried it with 3 different DLP PJs via a straight HDMI connection. But..... its really more of a minor annoyance since you can still calibrate "brightness" easily (at least on any DLP I've seen) even w/o a BTB signal...just turn down the brightness to the point where dithering is eliminated with a 0 ire signal.

Why is your A1 a door stop (not a challenge, just curious of your perspective)?
post #3238 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Johnson View Post

..... its really more of a minor annoyance since you can still calibrate "brightness" easily (at least on any DLP I've seen) even w/o a BTB signal...just turn down the brightness to the point where dithering is eliminated with a 0 ire signal.

Exactly, easily corrected. I never even considered this inconvenience as a notable setback. Calibrate the hdmi input video controls independently...no problem.
post #3239 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Johnson View Post

No BTB with my A1 either. Its has FW 2.0. I've tried it with 3 different DLP PJs via a straight HDMI connection. But..... its really more of a minor annoyance since you can still calibrate "brightness" easily (at least on any DLP I've seen) even w/o a BTB signal...just turn down the brightness to the point where dithering is eliminated with a 0 ire signal.

Why is your A1 a door stop (not a challenge, just curious of your perspective)?

You're absolutely correct! A player with blacker than black clipping can still be properly calibrated in most cases.

I did not elaborate on the issue I am having. The problem for me has always been BTB clipping compounded with black crush. ALL other HDMI video sources I've ever connected to my PJ did not or do not exhibit this behavior. The exception is, with HD DVD the blacks appear much better than with SD DVD. Therefore, the issue may be confined to SD DVD only. I suppose after I receive DVE on HD DVD, this question will be answered.

After calibrating with an HD DVD calibration disc, if the blacks on HD DVD turn out to be normal, I can live with this HD-A1 issue on SD DVD only. I don't use the HD-A1 for SD DVD. A Cary DVD-7 is my sole player for SD DVD. So, I suppose calling my HD-A1 a door stop is an overstatement. On the other hand, if the HD-A1 were my only player for both SD DVD and HD DVD, I'd be really pissed.

I do like the phenomenal picture quality from HD DVD very much. With one questionable piece of equipment after another from Toshiba, my opinion is that PQ is the saving grace of this format.

It's not very enjoyable when multiple freeze ups occur during the course of a movie. I also don't like having to waste my time following a regimen of cleaning and polishing all rental HD DVD's before I can watch them.

I don't have any of these issues with SD DVD rentals played in any other player, even when the discs are in terrible shape.

Since installing firmware 2.1, I've watched one HD DVD from Netflix without cleaning or polishing it beforehand. The disc surface was far from perfect. It was dirty and the surface was covered in scratches. With 2.1, I noticed a big improvement in playback reliability. Instead of freeze ups, there were a few sound dropouts and some pixelization, but the big news is NO FREEZE UPS. I hope this will be the norm. Before 2.1 this was not possible. Maybe Toshiba has finally brought the player up to snuff.

Boot up time has never been an issue for me. I have my remote's macros set to first turn on the HD-A1, then power up the rest of the system. By the time my projector is warmed up, inputs are selected and picture setting memories are recalled, the HD-A1 is ready to go. Firmware will never have a great effect on boot up time, so for anyone hoping to see a change, don't count on it. The only instances where the slow boot times are an issue for me, is in the middle of a movie while trying to reboot after a freeze up. (Issue = my definition = a serious annoyance which might cause me to throw the player out of a window in a fit of rage)

After I get a chance to watch a few more movies with 2.1 installed, I will then know if playback reliability has indeed been improved. I will then have a more favorable opinion of my HD-A1. If it turns out that I just got lucky with the first movie and 2.1 has not improved the freeze ups, then I'll give the player away and give up on HD DVD altogether.

I don't expect any new features to come from firmware upgrades. All I expect from my HD-A1 , is that it simply plays HD DVD's without freezing up and without black crush. If it can someday do that, I will be happy.
post #3240 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodynamics View Post

I don't expect any new features to come from firmware upgrades. All I expect from my HD-A1 , is that it simply plays HD DVD's without freezing up and without black crush. If it can someday do that, I will be happy.

Its still interesting to me that some people have very problematic first gens and others not. I'm in the later camp. My A1 has been very solid. No hard freezes, no HDCP issues, no lip synch problems, etc. Out of about 50 HD-DVDs and a dozen or SD's, it has stop twice - both on very dirty/scratched Netfix HD-DVDs. Neither time did I have to reboot. I was able to recover via chapter skipping. I've never cleaned a disc. I've successfully played the discs that people reported issues with.

I was late to the party.... my A1 is an August 2006 build. I forget what FW came loaded since I immediately flashed to 2.0 when I got it. I wonder if Toshiba made a HW engineering change mid-production resulting in improved reliability for later builds. In the dark old days of early upconverting DVD boxes (e.g. Bravo, Momitsu, etc.). we had lots of load failures, skipping, freezing, etc. We attempted to address these (with varying levels of success) by swapping out the loader, tweeking the power suppply, change cables, etc.. I should open up my A1.... I might just be surprised to find a Sony loader.... wouldn't that be ironic?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › OFFICIAL Toshiba firmware update thread: 2.0 and or CD is here!