or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 480

post #14371 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Mister Softie's experience just flies in the face of that, is all.

Not at all, because he also says this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post

Never got that imaging with vocals floating in center like during audition.

The room has everything to do with it, as it's the only variable in this situation
(Assuming people always audition/judge speakers with the components they own)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post

Good components in a great room trumps great components in a mediocre room.
Great components in a great room trumps all.

I fully agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

Sometimes you just can't have a great room.

That's very true RT.

Those people also hear the improvements from better components, but just won't be hearing the full potential of the system.
The good thing is if you never heard your setup in a great room, you also don't know what you're missing and probably are just happy with the way things are sounding (which is fine ofcourse).

People that say it's just "a belief" really have no clue.
It's physics.
I don't believe any of them have actually heard their system is a great room; otherwise they wouldn't be provoking.
post #14372 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jochenb View Post

Not at all, because he also says this:



The room has everything to do with it, as it's the only variable in this situation
(Assuming people always audition/judge speakers with the components they own)




I fully agree.



That's very true RT.

Those people also hear the improvements from better components, but just won't be hearing the full potential of the system.
The good thing is if you never heard your setup in a great room, you also don't know what you're missing and probably are just happy with the way things are sounding (which is fine ofcourse).

People that say it's just "a belief" really have no clue.
It's physics.
I don't believe any of them have actually heard their system is a great room; otherwise they wouldn't be provoking.

You need to get away from that other forum jochenb; the one where people say treatments are just "a belief". I've never heard anyone in here say that.

CD
post #14373 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvih View Post


Yeah, that's what I was thinking (but forgot to write to my previous reply apparently). However if you're technically limited to 3 pairs that way within the range of a transmitter (which is said to be 50-100m if I recall) it could theoretically lead to problems in the admittedly very unlikely event of more than one owner within that range Also there's the question of how exactly the pairing process is done and therefore how easy it is to pair the speakers to one transmitter instead of another. The manual isn't available on the Dyn website yet so can't look from there.

I'd be willing to bet that if you can't do this right out of the box that Dyn will release different config transmitters and a dedicated center speaker down the road...
post #14374 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rded View Post

Mick,

I don't know if this has been asked here yet but is it possible to integrate the XEO into a multichannel home theater?

Yes! The volume control can be "fixed" so you can use the XEO in a surround system, I think the XEO 3's would be used as rears in quite a few set ups where running wires is just not an option.
post #14375 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvih View Post

Yeah, that's what I was thinking (but forgot to write to my previous reply apparently). However if you're technically limited to 3 pairs that way within the range of a transmitter (which is said to be 50-100m if I recall) it could theoretically lead to problems in the admittedly very unlikely event of more than one owner within that range Also there's the question of how exactly the pairing process is done and therefore how easy it is to pair the speakers to one transmitter instead of another. The manual isn't available on the Dyn website yet so can't look from there.

The transmitters transmit on seperate channels within the 2.4Ghz platform as there are quite a few. The speakers are set to rooms 1,2 or 3 on the speaker so the speaker knows what room it is in and you could put as many speakers in room as you want however within a given room they will all receive the same volume and input. It is within the given room that you can switch volume and inputs, room 1 can listen to something different than room 2 as all of the inputs on the transmitter are live.
post #14376 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

You need to get away from that other forum jochenb; the one where people say treatments are just "a belief". I've never heard anyone in here say that.

CD

Right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

most who believe in placement and treatments

post #14377 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynlunatic View Post

The transmitters transmit on seperate channels within the 2.4Ghz platform as there are quite a few. The speakers are set to rooms 1,2 or 3 on the speaker so the speaker knows what room it is in and you could put as many speakers in room as you want however within a given room they will all receive the same volume and input. It is within the given room that you can switch volume and inputs, room 1 can listen to something different than room 2 as all of the inputs on the transmitter are live.

I'm liking the sound of this more and more. It sounds very flexible, and made for the real world.

Often times...when someone in the "hi-end" tries to think outside the box...they come up with a dud that shows well, but doesn't have any applications in the real world. I'm already thinking of ways XEO would be useful!

CD
post #14378 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jochenb View Post

Right...




Silly; stating there's a group that "believes", is not at all the same as saying treatments are "just a belief". Certainly not that I'm saying that.

I'm on record as pro treatments; how could you not be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

That being said...better is better, and I don't think there's any question that Borderdog's suggestions for placement, treatment, etc...would improve most systems.

I hope to employ them myself someday. (hey...I have all materials and such, but a minor...but painful...procedure has set me back recently).

I just don't agree that systems always have to sound like sh*t, if they're not in a room, stuffed to the gill with bass-traps and OC703. Those lucky enough to have nice, dedicated rooms...where they can do all of that stuff without much issue; I envy their owners.

But I think sometimes they try to tell the rest of us we're listening to tin-sh*t, because we don't. That's no where near saying "treatments are just a figment of your imagination".

CD
post #14379 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Silly; stating there's a group that "believes", is not at all the same as saying treatments are "just a belief". Certainly not that I'm saying that.

I'm on record as pro treatments; how could you not be?

I just don't agree that systems always have to sound like sh*t, if they're not in a room, stuffed to the gill with bass-traps and OC703. Those lucky enough to have nice, dedicated rooms...where they can do all of that stuff without much issue; I envy their owners.

But I think sometimes they try to tell the rest of us we're listening to tin-sh*t, because we don't. That's no where near saying "treatments are just a figment of your imagination".

CD

Are there people in here that say all untreated rooms sound like sh*t?

If so I can understand some people might get irritated.
Some untreated rooms sound great on their own, that's why I always talk about "good/great", "bad" or "average" rooms instead of "treatened vs untreated" ones.

So I do agree with you about that.
post #14380 of 21650
Well, Just joined the Dynaudio Club!!!!

After a lot of research I purchased a set of Contour S3.4's, only 2 years old in Maple and they should arrive Tuesday!!!

Now onto the Intergrated Amp search, being from New Zealand I am considering the Plinius Hautonga (similar in spec to the previous 9200) or in the same price range the NAD M3, both around the $6K NZ Dollars).

Also considering stepping up to the Plinius Hiato or the NAD M2 (around $10K NZ) but may be a bit out of my league at this stage unless I go for someting like the NAD C565BEE CD player in the interim until I can upgrade

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these specific Intergrated's with the Dyn's??

Cheers,

Paul
post #14381 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jochenb View Post

Are there people in here that say all untreated rooms sound like sh*t?

If so I can understand some people might get irritated.
Some untreated rooms sound great on their own, that's why I always talk about "good/great", "bad" or "average" rooms instead of "treatened vs untreated" ones.....

which is what makes sense to talk about. My room is untreated but it really sounds pretty good, and is certainly satisfying to me.
post #14382 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesie101 View Post

Well, Just joined the Dynaudio Club!!!!

After a lot of research I purchased a set of Contour S3.4's, only 2 years old in Maple and they should arrive Tuesday!!!

Now onto the Intergrated Amp search, being from New Zealand I am considering the Plinius Hautonga (similar in spec to the previous 9200) or in the same price range the NAD M3, both around the $6K NZ Dollars).

Also considering stepping up to the Plinius Hiato or the NAD M2 (around $10K NZ) but may be a bit out of my league at this stage unless I go for someting like the NAD C565BEE CD player in the interim until I can upgrade

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these specific Intergrated's with the Dyn's??

Cheers,

Paul

Paul...I had actually always wanted to try an M3. It's sleek-looking, gets great pub...and I've always liked the sound of NAD. NAD Master series has the advanced digital-drive powerplant, and is built like a TANK.

Even though I recently acquired a C-J SS amp that I'm very happy with, at the same time I decided to try an M3 I saw for sale on AG. I thought if it can compete with the new C-J, and my (David) Belles pre-amp...just imagine all the money I'd save on the exchange.

In the end, I did keep my separates...but I thought the M3 sounded very good, with the right system. I have Special 25s...and I would say the M3 is the tiniest bit forward. I also happen to think the 25s are (although others don't agree), so it wasn't a great match.

Before the 25s, I had Contour S1.4s...which I just thought were a knock-out, all-around, sounds good with just about everything type speaker; and I think, by comparison, the M3 would have made a very nice match with that model (my point being, as I think it would with your S3.4s ).

Welcome to the Dyn community!

CD
post #14383 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNVNation View Post

I've had my S1.4's for five weeks now and have about two hundred hours on them. I spent several months demoing an array of competing speaker models from the major players before settling on the Dynaudio's. The trick for me was finding a speaker capable of playing a wide range of musical genre's. One of the most frustrating aspects of speaker performance I found was the inability of the speaker to be enjoyable on a wide range of music, including non audiophile approved electronica and indie stuff. For example, I had high hopes for the B&W PM1 - it looks great and it's received a lot of positive press. Play Diana Krall (yawn) and it sounded detailed and threw a large well delineated soundstage, but switch to something less genteel and it was like nails on a chalk board, unlistenable top end and little low end weight to offset it.

Anyway, finally getting to my point, the Dynaudio S1.4 was (IMO) the only sub $4k speaker that had a chameleon like ability to make almost any genre shine. Granted they will show up recording flaws (somebody needs to find whoever came up with the Waves L1 plug and shoot them) but they are uncanny in their ability to get out of the way and let the artistic intent get through.

Just my 2 cents.

Same can be said for the S3.4...they are notable for their seamlessness and coherence.

And their ability to scale incredibly quickly.
post #14384 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesie101 View Post

Well, Just joined the Dynaudio Club!!!!

After a lot of research I purchased a set of Contour S3.4's, only 2 years old in Maple and they should arrive Tuesday!!!

Now onto the Intergrated Amp search, being from New Zealand I am considering the Plinius Hautonga (similar in spec to the previous 9200) or in the same price range the NAD M3, both around the $6K NZ Dollars).

Also considering stepping up to the Plinius Hiato or the NAD M2 (around $10K NZ) but may be a bit out of my league at this stage unless I go for someting like the NAD C565BEE CD player in the interim until I can upgrade

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these specific Intergrated's with the Dyn's??

Cheers,

Paul

Welcome

I use the NAD M3 and I love it with dynaudio!

It's best that you audition it first, because it's a matter of taste. Some prefer a more agressive forward sound.
post #14385 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

In the end, I did keep my separates...but I thought the M3 sounded very good, with the right system. I have Special 25s...and I would say the M3 is the tiniest bit forward. I also happen to think the 25s are (although others don't agree), so it wasn't a great match.

Before the 25s, I had Contour S1.4s...which I just thought were a knock-out, all-around, sounds good with just about everything type speaker; and I think, by comparison, the M3 would have made a very nice match with that model (my point being, as I think it would with your S3.4s ).

Interesting.
Maybe the match with the 25s indeed isn't that great. I also thought the 25s were somewhat forward sounding. That's something I certainly don't experience with my S1.4s and C1s (at the store) with the M3.

The M3 with contours is indeed an excellent match.
post #14386 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jochenb View Post

Interesting.
Maybe the match with the 25s indeed isn't that great. I also thought the 25s were somewhat forward sounding. That's something I certainly don't experience with my S1.4s and C1s (at the store) with the M3.

The M3 with contours is indeed an excellent match.

I owned the M3 when I had Contour 5.4 and liked it very much. I upgraded to the M2 and it was a world of difference, the sound opened up and the resolution of different sounds was amazing. Every aspect of the sound improved immensely. It was like the M3 was broken.

I subsequently upgraded to the C2 for about two months and then up to the Sapphires (almost two years now).

I have to say that I believe the M2 is in a league of the very high end. It never ceases to amaze me.

And of the course the Sapphires just keep getting better as I do additional upgrades, they really seem to just give more and more as I upgrade.

It is worth noting that I am actually using the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC (MK11) with analog outputs (obviously) into the M2.

By the way all the Dynaudio upgrades were done seamlessly and very cost effectively through Tyler at Next Level Audio

James
post #14387 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by james108 View Post

by the way all the dynaudio upgrades were done seamlessly and very cost effectively through tyler at next level audio

james

+1
post #14388 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post

+1

+2...and I'm a bit of a pain as a customer with my constantly changing mindset. Tyler couldn't be any better to deal with.
post #14389 of 21650
Well how is everyone doing? Hope everyone is enjoy there set ups or are planning something amazing! I know we are celebrating our 10th year... WOW... has it really been 10 years? i remember starting in Fort Myers, Florida with this grand idea of selling the best speakers in the world some day, and me and my Dad decided to go to Indiana CEDIA. There we met the Dynaudio bunch and many of the same companies we have today... now 10 years later we ARE selling the best speakers money can buy.
So now that i am done blabbering on... i can't wait to tell you about how awesome about the C1 MK2 Signatures i have i love, love love them and they just melt in your ears not in your hands (that too, cause the finish is AMAZING~) everyone that hears them is floored and has nothing but praise. I am looking forward to getting Xeos into the showroom soon as well... I would love some input from fellow Dynaudio lovers so i can forward it to him...

A customer is trying to make a decision on switching his current system (i sold him Paradigm Monitor 6 series) which he bought 3 years ago which consists of 3 way floor standers a nice center, and monitor rears with the matching 12" woofer in that series to the Dynaudio IP24 in front for L/R and rear with a sub600 and S CX for center.... what is all your thoughts?
post #14390 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

...A customer is trying to make a decision on switching his current system (i sold him Paradigm Monitor 6 series) which he bought 3 years ago which consists of 3 way floor standers a nice center, and monitor rears with the matching 12" woofer in that series to the Dynaudio IP24 in front for L/R and rear with a sub600 and S CX for center.... what is all your thoughts?

Emm... IP24s to match the S CX... I don't think they match well and I suggest your customer invest on a pair of C1 MK2 or s1.4 as the L/R to match the awesome S CX center. I got a chance to audition the IP24s recently, while they were much better than many in wall speakers, the S CX is overkill for the IP24s and deserves even better L/Rs.
post #14391 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmf View Post

+2...and I'm a bit of a pain as a customer with my constantly changing mindset. Tyler couldn't be any better to deal with.

+3, and I know I'm a huge pain, but Tyler and Mick have lots of patience.
post #14392 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by james108 View Post


I owned the M3 when I had Contour 5.4 and liked it very much. I upgraded to the M2 and it was a world of difference, the sound opened up and the resolution of different sounds was amazing. Every aspect of the sound improved immensely. It was like the M3 was broken.

I subsequently upgraded to the C2 for about two months and then up to the Sapphires (almost two years now).

I have to say that I believe the M2 is in a league of the very high end. It never ceases to amaze me.

And of the course the Sapphires just keep getting better as I do additional upgrades, they really seem to just give more and more as I upgrade.

It is worth noting that I am actually using the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC (MK11) with analog outputs (obviously) into the M2.

By the way all the Dynaudio upgrades were done seamlessly and very cost effectively through Tyler at Next Level Audio

James

Cheers for all the responses guys, very helpful, I had heard great things about the NAD M series but not with Dyn's. Good to know its a great match!!

I am going to try and arrange a listen to both the NAD M2 and the Plinius options as well, will see how I get on.

Cheers,

Paul
post #14393 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesie101 View Post


Cheers for all the responses guys, very helpful, I had heard great things about the NAD M series but not with Dyn's. Good to know its a great match!!

I am going to try and arrange a listen to both the NAD M2 and the Plinius options as well, will see how I get on.

Cheers,

Paul

Sorry, should read that I had heard great things about the NAD M series but I hadn't heard much about it with the Dyn's.

Sounds like it is a great match.

Cheers,
post #14394 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by james108 View Post

I owned the M3 when I had Contour 5.4 and liked it very much. I upgraded to the M2 and it was a world of difference, the sound opened up and the resolution of different sounds was amazing. Every aspect of the sound improved immensely. It was like the M3 was broken.

I subsequently upgraded to the C2 for about two months and then up to the Sapphires (almost two years now).

I have to say that I believe the M2 is in a league of the very high end. It never ceases to amaze me.

And of the course the Sapphires just keep getting better as I do additional upgrades, they really seem to just give more and more as I upgrade.

It is worth noting that I am actually using the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC (MK11) with analog outputs (obviously) into the M2.

By the way all the Dynaudio upgrades were done seamlessly and very cost effectively through Tyler at Next Level Audio

James

I never heard the M2, but I believe it's excellent.

I experienced similar things when I upgraded my DAC. I use a very clinical, all revealing benchmark DAC (which I also use for mixing records), with great result in combination with the M3. Serious upgrade for me.
post #14395 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post

+3, and I know I'm a huge pain, but Tyler and Mick have lots of patience.

+4, although I am located outside US and they didn't have any transaction with me, Tyler and Mick (especially Mick) have been very helpful and patient to assist my once stupid newbie questions that the distributor from my region failed to address.
post #14396 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerstripe View Post

Emm... IP24s to match the S CX... I don't think they match well and I suggest your customer invest on a pair of C1 MK2 or s1.4 as the L/R to match the awesome S CX center. I got a chance to audition the IP24s recently, while they were much better than many in wall speakers, the S CX is overkill for the IP24s and deserves even better L/Rs.

Although I have heard (quite a while ago) an SCX matched with IP17's and it sounded great. I have not heard the IP24s.

I know that the IP17's and the SCX both have the same size of drivers...28 mm and 17cm.

For a home theater application where it was biased towards home theater use and not music and one wanted in wall speakers I think either an IP17 or an IP24 would be terrrific. If I had the chance to have a seperate stereo system with my C4s and one that was purely HT or background music I would consider 4 IP24s up front. Two for the center and a pair for the L/R.
Mike
post #14397 of 21650
when you posted that i thought about the fact i get to go to Florida this week where i have the one customer that has the C4 theater rooom with 4 sub 500's and the other that has Evidence Masters, Evidence Center and C1 MkII for surrounds mmmm i love just being in those rooms

Dynaudio makes the best speakers available for the money i mean how could you not just have a smile listening to them i mean in-wall to floor standing, book shelf to now the Xeo Dynaudio has it all!

Here are some pics


post #14398 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerstripe View Post

+4, although I am located outside US and they didn't have any transaction with me, Tyler and Mick (especially Mick) have been very helpful and patient to assist my once stupid newbie questions that the distributor from my region failed to address.

I don't believe in "stupid newbie questions" we were all that at one time. Getting started and for some of us we still are just getting started and trying to figure out what this is all about what we want and how to get it.
post #14399 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneMike View Post

Although I have heard (quite a while ago) an SCX matched with IP17's and it sounded great. I have not heard the IP24s.

I know that the IP17's and the SCX both have the same size of drivers...28 mm and 17cm.

For a home theater application where it was biased towards home theater use and not music and one wanted in wall speakers I think either an IP17 or an IP24 would be terrrific. If I had the chance to have a seperate stereo system with my C4s and one that was purely HT or background music I would consider 4 IP24s up front. Two for the center and a pair for the L/R.
Mike

Mike I read your old posts on comparing different Dynaudio centers like Contour SCX when I was setting up my HT and it was very informative thank you.

Regarding the IP24s I auditioned, my observation differing from yours may have more to do with the positioning problems (as they were fixed and no toe-in) than the driver size. The IP24s I heard were quite far apart from the SCX and I did hear minor mismatch during pans across them.
post #14400 of 21650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

when you posted that i thought about the fact i get to go to Florida this week where i have the one customer that has the C4 theater rooom with 4 sub 500's and the other that has Evidence Masters, Evidence Center and C1 MkII for surrounds mmmm i love just being in those rooms

The C1 MkII for surrounds, wow! The C1 Signature costs USD10700 here:


Quote:


Dynaudio makes the best speakers available for the money i mean how could you not just have a smile listening to them i mean in-wall to floor standing, book shelf to now the Xeo Dynaudio has it all!

And I wonder why no one posts some photos on the Xeo after the CES show? I haven't been there but I did take a few photos on the Xeo with my 4S last week when I visited my dealer - not good quality photos you know but better than none




New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread