or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 60

post #1771 of 21804
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Hi Matt,

Thanks for that information. I think the Halo would be out of my budget and the Simaudio would be waaaay out of my budget! Hope all is well in SD. You never know the Chargers and the Patriots could meet again in the playoffs. You know who I will be rooting for. Have a Happy New Year!

Take care, Bill

Hopefully Parasound will release a processor in the Classic line with HDMI 1.3 audio processing.

The Chargers are in the playoffs, but in all honestly I dont think they stand a chance against the Patriots. My girlfriend is a Patriots fan, so I typically remain neutral.
post #1772 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

The last figure I saw it was going to be around $10500. At $15000 I doubt it will sell very much. I wish they would look at market trends and release a processor around 5-6K.

That is good news!

I also have the amp upgrade urge. Let me know if you see anything special on the Titan.
post #1773 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Hopefully Parasound will release a processor in the Classic line with HDMI 1.3 audio processing.

The Chargers are in the playoffs, but in all honestly I dont think they stand a chance against the Patriots. My girlfriend is a Patriots fan, so I typically remain neutral.

Matt,

Something in the Classic line would be very interesting.

I would not count the Chargers out, they are a great team that might be peaking at the right time. If they play the Pats again I think it will be a great game! Any team any day, I really believe in that especially in the playoffs.

Bill
post #1774 of 21804
Anyone have opportunity to compare the Focus line to Focal Chorus 800 series? They are in two different shops here in town so I cannot make a fair comparison.
post #1775 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 8 View Post

Anyone have opportunity to compare the Focus line to Focal Chorus 800 series? They are in two different shops here in town so I cannot make a fair comparison.

I actually compared the Focal Chorus 826V against the Dynaudio AUDIENCE 62s. Though they were indeed in diffrent shops, it was easy to tell that the Focals had more bass presence and very pleasant top end.

However, if you give a damn about midrange, the Focals aren't for you. To me, it sounded like the singer was 20' away from the microphone....

For disclosure purposes, I've owned the 707S bookshelf from Focal, and was going to upgrade to the 826Vs, because I had previously enjoyed my bookshelves, but was looking for a bit more presence. That, and the finish on the 826Vs is amazing. However, they still had that midrange "flaw" for me, which is why I went with the Dynaudio.

In reality, the Focus line from Dynaudio would be "better" than the Focal 800 series, as the Focus 220 MRSP is around 3k, and the comparable 3 way equivalent from Focal (826V) is around 2200 (maybe even less).

Only thing that's worth mentionning is that the Dyns are more demading in terms of amplification, the Focals are relatively easy to drive.

Cheers,

Chris
post #1776 of 21804
Thanks for the insight. I am considering the Focal 826 ($2500) with matching center versus the Focus 140 with its matching center. Given room variations and different equipment, it was and is difficult to compare since both sounded good.
post #1777 of 21804
FYI, Stereophile's C1 review is available on its website.
post #1778 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 8 View Post

Thanks for the insight. I am considering the Focal 826 ($2500) with matching center versus the Focus 140 with its matching center. Given room variations and different equipment, it was and is difficult to compare since both sounded good.

I would ask for a in home demo from the dealers.
post #1779 of 21804
Allright, so I've just come back from my local hi-fi shop and have listened to the following:
  • Dynaudio Focus 220
  • Spendor S8e
  • Monitor Audio Gold GS20

The Dyns are the cheapest, the MAs would cost an extra 500, and the Spendor an extra 600... so they're all pretty much in the same range. I currently OWN some Dynaudio Audience 62s, and have enjoyed them very much, but I'm looking to upgrade the dynamics and improve on the mids/highs.

I liked the Dynaudios, but I can't help but agree with some of the reviews I've read online; that they have alot of bass, and they are a little fuzzy. I'm running a Roksan Kandy MkIII Integrated amp, so I don't *think* power is the problem... I had the good sense to bring my existing equipment to try these three speakers out.

It's a done deal that I'll be trading up in February, but I just wanted to see if anybody has any regrets. I know I might not be asking the most unbiased group, but I'd love to hear the negatives and positives now that you've been living with your speakers


On another note, the Spendors and Monitor Audios were also good... I liked the MAs Vocals, and the Spendors seemed pretty much at ease with anything... maybe a little on the polite side, but otherwise excellent.
post #1780 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisII View Post

Allright, so I've just come back from my local hi-fi shop and have listened to the following:
  • Dynaudio Focus 220
  • Spendor S8e
  • Monitor Audio Gold GS20

The Dyns are the cheapest, the MAs would cost an extra 500, and the Spendor an extra 600... so they're all pretty much in the same range. I currently OWN some Dynaudio Audience 62s, and have enjoyed them very much, but I'm looking to upgrade the dynamics and improve on the mids/highs.

I liked the Dynaudios, but I can't help but agree with some of the reviews I've read online; that they have alot of bass, and they are a little fuzzy. I'm running a Roksan Kandy MkIII Integrated amp, so I don't *think* power is the problem... I had the good sense to bring my existing equipment to try these three speakers out.

It's a done deal that I'll be trading up in February, but I just wanted to see if anybody has any regrets. I know I might not be asking the most unbiased group, but I'd love to hear the negatives and positives now that you've been living with your speakers


On another note, the Spendors and Monitor Audios were also good... I liked the MAs Vocals, and the Spendors seemed pretty much at ease with anything... maybe a little on the polite side, but otherwise excellent.

Fuzzy? The 220's have such tremendous presence that such an adjective never comes to mind. The only negative, if a negative at all, is that they don't make a bad recording sound good. Perhaps that's what you mean by fuzzy?

If you will be replacing your 62's I'm not sure the 220's are the right call. Your placement location may be a little tight, considering it's rear-ported. If you can't audtion these in-house let your ears be the judge. If you are looking for improved dynamics and mids/highs the 220's will certainly provide that over your 62's.
post #1781 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post

Fuzzy? The 220's have such tremendous presence that such an adjective never comes to mind. The only negative, if a negative at all, is that they don't make a bad recording sound good. Perhaps that's what you mean by fuzzy?

If you will be replacing your 62's I'm not sure the 220's are the right call. Your placement location may be a little tight, considering it's rear-ported. If you can't audtion these in-house let your ears be the judge. If you are looking for improved dynamics and mids/highs the 220's will certainly provide that over your 62's.

It's just that I found that the Spendors and the Monitor Audios were more transparent in the midrange... truth is, I belive the Dyns have the best tweeter of the lot of them. Maybe I like something that's a little more forward than it should be...
post #1782 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisII View Post

It's just that I found that the Spendors and the Monitor Audios were more transparent in the midrange... truth is, I belive the Dyns have the best tweeter of the lot of them. Maybe I like something that's a little more forward than it should be...

Chris,

In looking at your pictures, you have those Dyn's tucked in pretty good in those spots. You are getting first reflection points of your desk and wall. Is your listening position at the desk, or on the other side of the room?

I would do a in house demo prior to making a decision, as your location of the speaker would have a lot to do with it.

Hope that helps.

Michael

Sitting in the office, while CES is going on in VEGAS.
post #1783 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Chris,

In looking at your pictures, you have those Dyn's tucked in pretty good in those spots. You are getting first reflection points of your desk and wall. Is your listening position at the desk, or on the other side of the room?

I would do a in house demo prior to making a decision, as your location of the speaker would have a lot to do with it.

Hope that helps.

Michael

Sitting in the office, while CES is going on in VEGAS.


Truth is that my new room is much larger, and the speakers have plenty of room to breathe... I'll take updated pictures eventually. They're now well clear of the desk.

I listen to music across the room, in a chair. The room is about 16' x 14', thick carpet, a bit of furniture, but that's it.

I'll head back to the dealer in a couple of weeks, maybe come up with a more structured listening plan (this time I just randomly brought CDs and was listening what I felt like).
post #1784 of 21804
I believe your taste may be for something slightly more forward, as you pointed out. In that case dyn may not be the best fit unless you look to their SE series speakers. I found them to be slightly more forward than the rest of the lineup.
post #1785 of 21804
post #1786 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

I believe your taste may be for something slightly more forward, as you pointed out. In that case dyn may not be the best fit unless you look to their SE series speakers. I found them to be slightly more forward than the rest of the lineup.

I use the Dyn Audience 52SE on Dyn stand4 driven by Denon mono-amps POA-4400. To my ears they are very neutral but also slightly shy in the midrange which can make them sound a bit boring. They don't impress which is good and sometimes bad. With good recordings though and driven loud everything falls into place. Hard to beat at the price by any standards. I do feel Dynaudio speakers require an uneven investment in amplification to get them lively.
post #1787 of 21804
does anyboy have the picture of the DM 2/10 (bookshelf)
The dynaudiousa website does not have it and I also
cant find anything on the internat. I believe this is a new model.

Even with a 10'' woofer it only goes till 40Hz.

Am I better off with the Audience 72 (my budget is not over $2000)
Can the audience72 really go as low as 28HZz as listed in the specs, with
just 2 6.9' woofers. I really doubt if 2 6.9 woofers can go that low.
post #1788 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

does anyboy have the picture of the DM 2/10 (bookshelf)

http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/systems/...ions/dm210.php
post #1789 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

Can the audience72 really go as low as 28HZz as listed in the specs, with
just 2 6.9' woofers. I really doubt if 2 6.9 woofers can go that low.

Believe it.
post #1790 of 21804
Quote:


Even with a 10'' woofer it only goes till 40Hz.

That is quite low and very few monitors can approach it. It's sensitivity makes it an easy load on most any amplifier and it plays loud and clean with authority. This is a fun speaker.

Quote:


Am I better off with the Audience 72

Also, a very nice speaker and one I've enjoyed for many years. It's older brother the Contour 1.8MKII is still one of my all time favorites. The 72 has a lot of it's qualities and authoritative bass is one of them.

Quote:


I really doubt if 2 6.9 woofers can go that low.

You should really have a listen if you have not had the chance yet. These aren't your dads speakers from back in the 80's with huge woofers. It's really quite unnecessary these days.
post #1791 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

does anyboy have the picture of the DM 2/10 (bookshelf)
The dynaudiousa website does not have it and I also
cant find anything on the internat. I believe this is a new model.

Even with a 10'' woofer it only goes till 40Hz.

Am I better off with the Audience 72 (my budget is not over $2000)
Can the audience72 really go as low as 28HZz as listed in the specs, with
just 2 6.9' woofers. I really doubt if 2 6.9 woofers can go that low.

Don't forget that the 40hz spec on the DM2/10 was meaured in our Anechoic chamber and outside of an Anechoic chamber they will perform easily to 32-33hz. The DM series is positioned below the Audience series and while they play bigger and are more fun than comparatively priced Audience bookshelves they lack the refinement and musicality of an Audience speaker. They are deisgned to be a high output big fun speaker.
post #1792 of 21804
Speaking of frequency range, Mick, do you have the frequency range for the Focus 220's when the rear port is plugged?
post #1793 of 21804
Would an upgrade from Audience 52SE to Focus 140 be worthwhile?
I'm wondering if the Focus 140 is less shy with voices which seems a little recessed on the 52SE. I'm just not 100% pleased with the presentation of the 52SE. Especially the midband seems shy and lacking presence.
Or can I better stick with the 52SE and upgrade my mono amps (Denon POA4400 from 1989 (180 W in 8 Ohms)) to for example a Primare I30 (100 W in 8 Ohms)?
post #1794 of 21804
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitmotiv View Post

Would an upgrade from Audience 52SE to Focus 140 be worthwhile?
I'm wondering if the Focus 140 is less shy with voices which seems a little recessed on the 52SE. I'm just not 100% pleased with the presentation of the 52SE. Especially the midband seems shy and lacking presence.
Or can I better stick with the 52SE and upgrade my mono amps (Denon POA4400 from 1989 (180 W in 8 Ohms)) to for example a Primare I30 (100 W in 8 Ohms)?

Denon's old mono amps were actually very nice. Its amazing to think they actually used to be a nice audio company.

Upgrade your speakers first as that will give you more than an amp upgrade.
post #1795 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitmotiv View Post

Would an upgrade from Audience 52SE to Focus 140 be worthwhile? I'm wondering if the Focus 140 is less shy with voices which seems a little recessed on the 52SE.

Focus 140 don't put voices forward. I think You may be disappointed.
post #1796 of 21804
I think anyone who is looking for a more forward presentation in Dynaudio may be better off with another speaker brand. Not that electronics cannot offset it some, however why start with a base that is not suited to your tastes?

My experience is that the SE editions are more forward than their regular counterparts. I found this true in the audience, contour, and special 25's. Still they are not what I would consider forward in the vast speaker world.
post #1797 of 21804
Thanks for the advise. Good to know it's most likely not down to my partenering electronics. I will think twice before selling the 52SE's though, I will surely miss them. Have a good weekend!
Michel
post #1798 of 21804
Out of curiosity, has anyone heard the Dyn's with the new class D amps from Rotel? I.e. the RB-1072 or RMB-1085? I'm finding it harder and harder to find decent furniture with the enormous size of my Parasound 5 channel amp. The size of the Rotel would be perfect, but in essence it would be going from around 300 watts into 4 ohms down to 180 watts with the Rotel. I'm running the Focus 220's, Focus Center, and 52SE surrounds..... Any thoughts?

TIA
post #1799 of 21804
NuForce makes a new multichannel amp that does 300 watts in to 4 ohms and they are pretty darn small! I have not heard the rotel amps on dyn. but I have heard them and the nuforce and I prefer the nuforce.
post #1800 of 21804
This is what I want to use to drive my S5.4, but have not found much about the Dynaudio/McIntosh pairing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread