or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 613

post #18361 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by gn77b View Post

but its a fact of physics that for real bass you need to move a large amount of air, which is proportional to cone excursion times cone area. so you either design a large driver which will be incapable of reproducing anything except bass (because of break-up and the fact that the larger the cone the worst the dispersion is at higher frequencies) or a smaller one with better midrange, but which will also have to move more. making a driver that is able to move by a lot while at the same stay linear is difficult. not necessarily impossible but it will be expensive.

OK, let me try and understand this in laymen's terms? You're saying...a BIG, bass-only driver is limited...because it can only do bass, and isn't really suited to do mid-range, like would be needed for a loudspeaker design (as opposed to sub only). Then you say, smaller drivers are limited...because with their size, the only way they can produce "suitable" amounts of bass, is by "moving a lot" (and I assume you mean, the cone excursion...the amount it travels "in and out"?)

Now, you say those drivers are expensive... because as a driver moves in and out, more and more...to get that good bass; it takes a really well-designed one, to stay linear? You mean expensive, and well-regarded...like Dynaudio drivers? See...Arny seem to indicate, that too much excursion was the sign of a driver's non-linearity, or poor/limited design. You're saying, that in fact...if you want to get a small driver to produce good bass...you have to have a large excursion. You just need to do it well.

Look...now everyone is on Dynaudio's jock; because no one is going to stand there with a straight face, and say Focus 160s belong in a dorm room. Honestly...I take things too far sometimes, but shame on all of you. You knew all I was saying is that was out of line (want to look at the OP?), but you all wanted to argue the science...when "science" was never the issue. In case you don't want to peek back? Here it is OPost

I bolded the rhetoric, said it was garbage (which everyone seems to agree with...now); and I specifically said I'm not listing his handle, and let's not start a war with the guy. Now, use your heads (that's the thing 3 feet above your a**); someone had to go drag him in here, and incite this thing. They're to blame, not me.
post #18362 of 21595
I have no idea if Dynaudio drivers are built well WRT this. I own their speakers, listen to them, like them. it's plausible that they're better than others. what I know is that most people, no matter what speakers they owned, said that subs brought unexpected improvements.
as a side note, I have absolutely no idea who started this, too many long posts to go through. or who brought that guy here.
post #18363 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Are you being serious, or just trying to drag this thing out? Do you mean the post, where he enlightens that..."no bookshelf speaker can have as much bass as a bigger speaker"? See...I can't tell if you guys really think we're that dumb, or if you're just laughing your a**es off. Believe it or not, I sure hope you just like that fact that it seems to get my goat.

And while we're at it...can we drop the "bookshelf" moniker; only an idiot, would sit a speaker like the C1 on a shelf. rolleyes.gif Please...a little respect; it's a stand-mount.

EDIT-gn77b, I don't mean to be a jerk. It's "nice" of you to offer, what you think is a welcome lesson. But sometimes an unsolicited lesson, isn't always welcome. Sorry; despite what some might think...I know enough about "audio", to know bigger drivers move more air than smaller ones.

Drag it out? This thread needs more discussions like this. Why can't we discuss driver technology, the role enclosures play in frequency response, especially in relation to Dynaudio speakers?

Dynaudio drivers are extremely robust, well made, drivers. They have to be, to handle the 1st order crossovers that are used. They have well designed enclosures for the drivers they house.

However, they do have limitations (as all speakers do). Discussing their limitations is an excellent way to learn if certain speakers are right for you as well as trying to implement different techniques to maximize their potential. Learning how/why speakers work will only help you to obtain the best possible sound from them.

This thread is sorely lacking in technical discussions and would serve many who research Dyn speakers a great service....

Or, we could just go on and continue the intellectually stimulating "re-break in" of speakers during different hours of use.....they sound good, no they don't....wait, now they do, but almost sound great....now they don't...

Yeah...lots of good info. there.
post #18364 of 21595
^^^ Well, I couldn't stop ya if I wanted to. Knock yourself out, if the other members are game. For myself...I'm done, and I mean really done.

Between this thread, and the turn Audiogon has taken...I have not nearly the interest for the hobby I used to. I should say, for the gear...because let's face it; this hobby is about music + gear (at least let's hope). Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

I used to really like talking shop, trying new kit, etc. But between the arguments and rip-offs and con-artists, it's lost its shine. Now...I can focus on the music.
post #18365 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post

wantmorehd, if you're in to tubes, primaluna has some nice amps, if you're looking for something that's been reviewed well at a fairly budget price, the HK 990 could be an option. The peachtree nova 125 also has my interest at this point. Good luck in your search!

Not into tubes but will look into the Peachtree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

Naim Nait XS (latest version) has HT bypass, and plenty of grunt to drive your S1.4s. I think the Nait 5i (latest) has HT bypass, but am not sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

The nait 5i does have a htpb

Thanks. I found a used 5i but I'm thinking I'd prefer the XS for some reason. Anybody know how much "better" the XS is over the 5i?
post #18366 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmorehd View Post



Thanks. I found a used 5i but I'm thinking I'd prefer the XS for some reason. Anybody know how much "better" the XS is over the 5i?

I have not heard the 5i, but the XS is very impressive, and easily upgradable with external PSU and/or amp.
post #18367 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmorehd View Post

Not into tubes but will look into the Peachtree.

Thanks. I found a used 5i but I'm thinking I'd prefer the XS for some reason. Anybody know how much "better" the XS is over the 5i?

I have owned the 5i, and I currently have the XS that I use with Excite X12's. At one time I also owned Focus 140's and I had a brief "love affair" with mk1 C1's.

As far as sound quality goes the amps have very similar characteristics with the difference being the 5i seemed to present a slightly more aggressive sound (in a good way). The XS is a little more relaxed presentation IMO. With the XS you also have a few more options as far as being able to add an additional power supply ( which I have never tried), and you have the ability to directly power one of Naim's phono amps (which I do use).

Both amps are very capable and deliver great sound to any if the aforementioned Dyns, with the 5i probably presenting the best value IMO.
post #18368 of 21595
I and others are subscribed to this thread, please keep it about audio.

If you want posts like this to stop, don't reply or contribute to them NO MATTER how much our human animal instincts crave it. Can anyone chime in on my audio related question and get back to what we're here for?

Anyone compare the Usher be-718's to the Dynaudio Focus 160's?
post #18369 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetothevee View Post


Anyone compare the Usher be-718's to the Dynaudio Focus 160's?

No, we only compare Dyn speakers to other Dyn speakers and only ever drive them with Naim gear.

post #18370 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

No, we only compare Dyn speakers to other Dyn speakers and only ever drive them with Naim gear.
Well, Naim for SS of course, and Octave for tubes, and whatever CD has this week. tongue.gif
post #18371 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetothevee View Post

I and others are subscribed to this thread, please keep it about audio.

If you want posts like this to stop, don't reply or contribute to them NO MATTER how much our human animal instincts crave it. Can anyone chime in on my audio related question and get back to what we're here for?

Anyone compare the Usher be-718's to the Dynaudio Focus 160's?

I have heard the BE 718's but never the Focus 160..... I have owned the 140's though so I can give you some insight. When I heard them I thought the Usher's were nice sounding speakers. I liked a lot about them and that appeared more dynamic (at first listen) than the Focus IMHO. I thoguth they were well rounded with all recordings and as a result perhaps less revealing and more forgiving than the Dynaudio's. What has always dranw me to Dynaudio is the WOW factor. And that WOW factor is not always present; when you get a great recording and a great passage that just causes you to forget everything else and pull you in to the music! The Usher's perhaps lacked that IMHO. Ultimately I wound up with the 140's and then moved to the 1.4's. No doubt about it though it is a nice speaker and your ears should do the deciding.

Oh and I do NOT power my Dynaudio's with Naim or the like. I use an Earthquake Cinenova Grande 5 to deliver a lot of power to them and they love it! Capable of 600 watts per channel to drive the 1.4's and Contour SR's. On the used Market these amps can be had for as little as $1,500 and the 3 channel version for even less. Quite a fine sounding amplifier that will drive any dynaudio you want to connect to it. I actually prefer this amp to the Bryston I used before it, as well as the Rotel RB1090/80.
post #18372 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

Well, Naim for SS of course, and Octave for tubes, and whatever CD has this week. tongue.gif

you're batting a thousand this week biggrin.gif
post #18373 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetothevee View Post

I and others are subscribed to this thread, please keep it about audio.
Anyone compare the Usher be-718's to the Dynaudio Focus 160's?

I've heard the Usher and initially I liked it but ultimately I prefer the soft dome presentation of the dyne tweeters, the Beryllium tweeters I've heard from Focal and Usher just have this quality that sounds artificial to me.
post #18374 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post

I've heard the Usher and initially I liked it but ultimately I prefer the soft dome presentation of the dyne tweeters, the Beryllium tweeters I've heard from Focal and Usher just have this quality that sounds artificial to me.

+1
post #18375 of 21595
Dynero, do you happen to have the color version of the pic in your avatar? I know I've bumped into it somewhere on the web before but can't find it again.
post #18376 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by gn77b View Post

Dynero, do you happen to have the color version of the pic in your avatar? I know I've bumped into it somewhere on the web before but can't find it again.

I believe you can find it here

http://forum.audiofil.ro/index.php?topic=1975.60
post #18377 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post

I believe you can find it here

http://forum.audiofil.ro/index.php?topic=1975.60
LOL
thanks
post #18378 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post


Between this thread, and the turn Audiogon has taken...

Can you post some links to posts over at Audiogon that typify what you are talking about?
post #18379 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post

I've heard the Usher and initially I liked it but ultimately I prefer the soft dome presentation of the dyne tweeters, the Beryllium tweeters I've heard from Focal and Usher just have this quality that sounds artificial to me.

Our ears are n total agreement. After 10 years of owning nothing but Dynaudio speakers often times I hear a different speaker and the sparkle or shimmer they present is initially intriguing. After time I always resort back to the soft dome buttery goodness that is the Dynaudio hallmark... Not to say these speakers are BAD or WORSE, they simply don't appeal to me the way Dyn's. do!
post #18380 of 21595
yeah, try to listen to those berillium speakers with a sibilant recording, intriguing my *** biggrin.gif
when I first heard Focals it was at a hi-fi show. I played a Peter Gabriel song from Up album. boy what an experience, I'd rather spend my time listening to angle grinders.
oh and speaking of which, I often hear people saying that the hotel rooms at hi-fi shows don't show a speakers true ability. IMO many listening rooms I've seen are acoustically inferior.
post #18381 of 21595
hi guys

can anybody recommend stands for focus 160's?
I'd prefer to keep it at $250 max

thanks
post #18382 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by prolle View Post

hi guys

can anybody recommend stands for focus 160's?
I'd prefer to keep it at $250 max

thanks
I would give a long look at the Dynaudio Stand3, or the replacement Stand3x
post #18383 of 21595
Thanks for all the thoughts on the Ushers. I have really enjoyed them, but am thinking about the Dyn's that I listened to a couple months ago. I find myself trying to pair other equipment with the Ushers to get that "buttery goodness" that has been mentioned and is how I fell in love with the focus 160's.

I'm new to hi-fi this year so some feedback would be appreciated. Is what I'm describing a sign that I may have chosen the wrong speaker? That if I'm trying to "get" that particular characteristic of sound (buttery goodness from the tweeter), I should start with that speaker and then build the system from that point. Then try to bring out other characteristics with an amp, dac etc.?

Thanks again!
Edited by deetothevee - 1/12/13 at 10:06am
post #18384 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by prolle View Post

hi guys

can anybody recommend stands for focus 160's?
I'd prefer to keep it at $250 max

thanks
I use a pair of vti uf-29 speaker stands which I like a lot and theyre like $120. I bought a $5 pack of quake hold putty from home depot to use to secure the 160s to the stands.
post #18385 of 21595
Evidence Platinum on the dyne website, check it out:D
post #18386 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

Our ears are n total agreement. After 10 years of owning nothing but Dynaudio speakers often times I hear a different speaker and the sparkle or shimmer they present is initially intriguing. After time I always resort back to the soft dome buttery goodness that is the Dynaudio hallmark... Not to say these speakers are BAD or WORSE, they simply don't appeal to me the way Dyn's. do!

Funny thing Dynefan is I've always wondered if in fact the soft dome tweeter had more distortion/breakup or grain than the Beryllium tweeters and it was this distortion that made it sound more organic to my ears biggrin.gif Much like tubes vs solid state, analog vs digital,etc.
post #18387 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by gn77b View Post

yeah, try to listen to those berillium speakers with a sibilant recording, intriguing my *** biggrin.gif
when I first heard Focals it was at a hi-fi show. I played a Peter Gabriel song from Up album. boy what an experience, I'd rather spend my time listening to angle grinders.
oh and speaking of which, I often hear people saying that the hotel rooms at hi-fi shows don't show a speakers true ability. IMO many listening rooms I've seen are acoustically inferior.

LOL have to agree on sibilant recordings and that particular type of driver. I tend to try and AVOID sibilant recordings even with the Dynaudio's just because well, I don't like them. Angle grinders can sound quite nice depending on what you are grinding... smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetothevee View Post

Thanks for all the thoughts on the Ushers. I have really enjoyed them, but am thinking about the Dyn's that I listened to a couple months ago. I find myself trying to pair other equipment with the Ushers to get that "buttery goodness" that has been mentioned and is how I fell in love with the focus 160's.

I'm new to hi-fi this year so some feedback would be appreciated. Is what I'm describing a sign that I may have chosen the wrong speaker? That if I'm trying to "get" that particular characteristic of sound (buttery goodness from the tweeter), I should start with that speaker and then build the system from that point. Then try to bring out other characteristics with an amp, dac etc.?

Thanks again!

For me I always started with speaker and designed from there. The only way for you to know is to get a set in your own room for extended listening. Anytime I was looking to upgrade I always did exactly that. Tried to find a quality used pair and buy smart, that way if they are not a good fit I can resell and not loose too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post

Evidence Platinum on the dyne website, check it out:D

I saw those today and my mouth was agape. I love the all black setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynero View Post

Funny thing Dynefan is I've always wondered if in fact the soft dome tweeter had more distortion/breakup or grain than the Beryllium tweeters and it was this distortion that made it sound more organic to my ears biggrin.gif Much like tubes vs solid state, analog vs digital,etc.

I am not nearly informed enough to know the answer to that, I just know what my ears prefer smile.gif I can tell you that I DO like the Canton tweeter quite a bit and am always looking for an inexpensive pair to have on hand for listening. Anyone else ever own Canton's? I have also toyed with buying Canton drivers and making a pair just for fun...
post #18388 of 21595
Hi to all,

First time poster, I am new in the hi-fi world and on my way to building my first home stereo system along with my OH. After a couple of auditions, we are pretty much set on the Excite X36. They combine both sound and looks for our case!
The next step is to choose a nice amplifier. So far I've heard them with the Rotel RA-12 and the NAD 356BEE. The key difference that I could notice was that the bass was quite "loose" with the NAD, but it was much firmer with Rotel. (NAD is also disqualified by my wife due to its looks smile.gif ) Basically I was quite satisfied with the Rotel during the audition, but I am worried if it is powerful enough to drive the X36.

Do you have any advice to offer? For budget and space reasons I am looking at integrated stereo amps.
Audio source will be a small HTPC I am planning to buy, so optical audio inputs would be nice to have (otherwise I need to get a separate DAC)
Music styles: pop, rock, jazz (and Greek bouzoukia... smile.gif )
Living room size: 3.60m x 4.50m (~11.8ft x 14.5ft) (that will get bigger after a year or so, the speakers will live on much longer!)
Budget wise I can probably go up to €1000.

I am arranging a couple more auditions over the coming weeks, but any advice from the experts is more than welcome!
post #18389 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan View Post

Oh and I do NOT power my Dynaudio's with Naim or the like. I use an Earthquake Cinenova Grande 5 to deliver a lot of power to them and they love it! Capable of 600 watts per channel to drive the 1.4's and Contour SR's. On the used Market these amps can be had for as little as $1,500 and the 3 channel version for even less. Quite a fine sounding amplifier that will drive any dynaudio you want to connect to it. I actually prefer this amp to the Bryston I used before it, as well as the Rotel RB1090/80.

Great looking room, I read the entire thread about your build, nice job. After reading your glowing review for the Earthquake amp I thought I would see if anywhere were available on popular hi-fi buy/sell board here and I found a 3 channel version and then noticed the weight and size of it. HOLY COW! I think it would break my shelf if I could even get it on it. OH well, too bad as the price was right and would have considered buying it.
post #18390 of 21595
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihctr View Post

Hi to all,

First time poster, I am new in the hi-fi world and on my way to building my first home stereo system along with my OH. After a couple of auditions, we are pretty much set on the Excite X36. They combine both sound and looks for our case!
The next step is to choose a nice amplifier. So far I've heard them with the Rotel RA-12 and the NAD 356BEE.
I am arranging a couple more auditions over the coming weeks, but any advice from the experts is more than welcome!

I'd personally go for a little more power than the Rotel unless you plan on keeping the volume at low to moderate levels. Those extra drivers could use the juice, maybe something at >100 watts at 8 ohms/150 at 4 ohms would to me, be the sweet spot for a moderately sized floorstander like the x36.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread