or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 621

post #18601 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyneo View Post

Hello Dynaudio Universe,

Slightly off topic of speakers directly, but I only use this blog for my audio discussion jonesing. ITs all about the music anyway.

I want to share something with you.

I have had this audio affliction since 1976. In the past 5 years I have completely upgraded and rebuilt my system. The last component added was my C-1's and I am very satisfied with them, I am sure you all are glad to know.

Over the years I've had vinyl and went away from it due to convenience, heresy...I know. But anyway, around 3 years ago my family gave me an ipod. I NEVER expected the audio enjoyment that I derived from this little device. All music is apple lossless files. Thanks Steve Jobs!! RIP. Of course it came with the factory head set, which was suprisingly good but definitely not audiofile quality. I very quickly purchased a set of westone three In ear monitors. I simply cannot believe that I am getting a true audifile experience with this setup, but it is VERY satisfying. This paved the way for what is next

Hang in there with me, I will get to the point...

A year ago I was given an apple TV as a gift. It does several things, but it was give to me to help me go where the audio world seems to be going...MUSIC Server. the old school in me resisted. I am a software tech, so I was not against change or the concept of new technoligy, I just didnt think I could reach audio Nirvana based on what I thought i knew.

About a week ago, my curiosity got the best of me and I downloaded a few cd's on to my plain old windows computer. Itunes existed on my computer as my music player. I opened it up, set sharing library on, turned on apple TV and clicked on music to my shared netword (it communicates wirelessly). I do have a DAC, so I had apple tv hooked up via a tos link to the DAC (wyred 4 sound dac2)

Much to my surprise, the sound is far superior to my cd player going through my DAC. I just didnt expect the difference, and of course I am truly shocked in how signficantly better it is!!. It is all across the musical spectrum. I have a pair of vandy 2wq subs, that were set on high volume and an high Q setting which was required before "music server" to acheive realistic bass. I have turned the Q to the lowest setting and may turn the volume down a bit but still tweaking.

MY point: Stop resisting!!! Increased convenience, and better sound quality!!! what more could we ask for.

The cost for going music server:
I already had the computer for other reasons: $0.00
apple TV $100 (a gift)
Dac ($1000, but already had it anyway. you do need a dac)


taaaa daaaaaa!!!!

I have not played any music on my cd player since I started downloading music to my computer.

Have you tried a reclocker? I use Empirical Audio Synchro-mesh (toslink to SPDIF/BNC) between my AppleTV and the dac and the improvement is not subtle.
post #18602 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyneo View Post

Hello Dynaudio Universe,

Slightly off topic of speakers directly, but I only use this blog for my audio discussion jonesing. ITs all about the music anyway.

I want to share something with you.

I have had this audio affliction since 1976. In the past 5 years I have completely upgraded and rebuilt my system. The last component added was my C-1's and I am very satisfied with them, I am sure you all are glad to know.

Over the years I've had vinyl and went away from it due to convenience, heresy...I know. But anyway, around 3 years ago my family gave me an ipod. I NEVER expected the audio enjoyment that I derived from this little device. All music is apple lossless files. Thanks Steve Jobs!! RIP. Of course it came with the factory head set, which was suprisingly good but definitely not audiofile quality. I very quickly purchased a set of westone three In ear monitors. I simply cannot believe that I am getting a true audifile experience with this setup, but it is VERY satisfying. This paved the way for what is next

Hang in there with me, I will get to the point...

A year ago I was given an apple TV as a gift. It does several things, but it was give to me to help me go where the audio world seems to be going...MUSIC Server. the old school in me resisted. I am a software tech, so I was not against change or the concept of new technoligy, I just didnt think I could reach audio Nirvana based on what I thought i knew.

About a week ago, my curiosity got the best of me and I downloaded a few cd's on to my plain old windows computer. Itunes existed on my computer as my music player. I opened it up, set sharing library on, turned on apple TV and clicked on music to my shared netword (it communicates wirelessly). I do have a DAC, so I had apple tv hooked up via a tos link to the DAC (wyred 4 sound dac2)

Much to my surprise, the sound is far superior to my cd player going through my DAC. I just didnt expect the difference, and of course I am truly shocked in how signficantly better it is!!. It is all across the musical spectrum. I have a pair of vandy 2wq subs, that were set on high volume and an high Q setting which was required before "music server" to acheive realistic bass. I have turned the Q to the lowest setting and may turn the volume down a bit but still tweaking.

MY point: Stop resisting!!! Increased convenience, and better sound quality!!! what more could we ask for.

The cost for going music server:
I already had the computer for other reasons: $0.00
apple TV $100 (a gift)
Dac ($1000, but already had it anyway. you do need a dac)


taaaa daaaaaa!!!!

I have not played any music on my cd player since I started downloading music to my computer.

Uh...welcome? Where have ya been? wink.gif
post #18603 of 21804
Is that another component?
post #18604 of 21804
I just got out of the habit sorta. Also after purchasing C-1s, I didnt want to red about the new C-1s. It makes me want to buy them. I gotta stop somewhere, lol.
post #18605 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyneo View Post

I just got out of the habit sorta. Also after purchasing C-1s, I didnt want to red about the new C-1s. It makes me want to buy them. I gotta stop somewhere, lol.

I have no real plans to upgrade anything. However, the other night as my wife and I were listening to Dvorak's 9th, she started talking about what it would cost to upgrade from the Contour S3.4s to a pair of Confidence C2s. eek.gif

Honestly though, I would prefer to upgrade my preamp and phono stage first.
post #18606 of 21804
Some questions for the experts.

Just bought a pair of X12s and will be driving them with Wyred 4 Sound mINT. This for my computer, and will be on a desk, so small in important. Looking for a sub to go with these. The guy at the store said not to go with the Dynaudio Compact 250 (they don't even cary Dynaudio subs). Are they that bad? Looked at the REL T-5 (actually listened with the speakers in the shop). Have very limited space since it will have to go under the desk, really needs to be no wider than 11.5". Also considering the Paradigm Monitor Sub 8 or Monitor Sub 10. Has anyone paired their Dynaudio with a Paradigm Sub? Any other suggestions?

Would you recommend the Dynaudio desk stands (SF1) or there are some small wooden stands that I could use?

I will be picking up the amp and speakers this weekend. Thanks in advance for your replies.
post #18607 of 21804
The Paradigms would be a good match IMO, I've heard these and they are tight and clean sounding. I would also look at Velodyne's Optimum 8 or Minivee

Never heard the Sub250 so I can't comment.

The SF1 would work well, I have these stands and like the fact that they aim the speaker upward.

Other than that, I would recommend something like isoacoustics (short) stand (if you can get over the looks)
post #18608 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf1111 View Post

Some questions for the experts.

Just bought a pair of X12s and will be driving them with Wyred 4 Sound mINT. This for my computer, and will be on a desk, so small in important. Looking for a sub to go with these. The guy at the store said not to go with the Dynaudio Compact 250 (they don't even cary Dynaudio subs). Are they that bad? Looked at the REL T-5 (actually listened with the speakers in the shop). Have very limited space since it will have to go under the desk, really needs to be no wider than 11.5". Also considering the Paradigm Monitor Sub 8 or Monitor Sub 10. Has anyone paired their Dynaudio with a Paradigm Sub? Any other suggestions?

Would you recommend the Dynaudio desk stands (SF1) or there are some small wooden stands that I could use?

I will be picking up the amp and speakers this weekend. Thanks in advance for your replies.

My office system is a SBT->Arcam DAC->Arcam amp->Dynadio Audience 52SE

I have been also thinking about adding a sub. My two channel system has a REL T-7 and that works great. I am considering the REL T-Zero for the office system. I do not use the Dynaudio desk stands. I have the Dynaudio wall mounts instead, although they require drilling out some holes on the back of the speaker.
post #18609 of 21804
Warpdrive thanks for the response. I looked at the Velodyne page and completely missed the Optimum 8. Of course now I have another sub to evaluate.

Wood Tech were the other stands I was looking at http://www.wood-tech.com/content/fgh-8
post #18610 of 21804
Recently had my Audience C120+ blow a tweeter so figured it was time to upgrade. So, did a big shuffle and fixed the tweeter then sold my Audience C120+, Audience 70's and Contour T2.5's. Bought Focus 200C and Focus 220 MkII for home theater and Focus 360 for 2 channel. Still use Audience 42's for surrounds and for a sub using a SVS PB13-Ultra. Really happy with the upgrades, especially the 360. 360 has no much more clarity and depth.
post #18611 of 21804
I suggest checking out SVS and Rhythmik for subs as well.
post #18612 of 21804
btscott thanks for the references, but I need a small sub. Those are just too big.
post #18613 of 21804
No worries... Thought maybe the Rhythmik F12 or SVS SB12-NSD or SB-1000 might work for you. Too big?
post #18614 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf1111 View Post

btscott thanks for the references, but I need a small sub. Those are just too big.
have you considered the hsu research stf-1?
post #18615 of 21804
I know this one is a long shot, but I'll ask anyway. LOL
Tragedy struck as I dropped my Audience 122c! Luckily, I caught it mid flight and averted ANY damage to the speaker cabinet or drivers themselves...The grill....not so much. The speaker hit the edge of my rack/cabinet in such a way that the grill itself sustained no damage except to shear off all four mounting pins into the speaker itself. Does anybody have any idea of how to get the cute little plastic ends out of my speaker? Any idea of how to fix the grill? I thought about magnets from parts express...just need to figure out how to attach the magnets... I can go "sans grill" but prefer not to...Thanks in advance
post #18616 of 21804
Callas01 thanks for the reference, now I have another sub to evaluate.

Thanks to everyone else who has commneted. This has been a bigger challenge than I thought, trying to fit a sub under a desk is a challenge.

So my list so far is REL T-5, Velodyne Optimum 8, Paradigm Monitor Sub 8, and HSU Research stf-1.

Here is a wild thought for desk top speakers has anyone tried the Contour S R's? I haven't picked up my speakers yet, so I was just daydreaming.
post #18617 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravingndrooling View Post

I know this one is a long shot, but I'll ask anyway. LOL
Tragedy struck as I dropped my Audience 122c! Luckily, I caught it mid flight and averted ANY damage to the speaker cabinet or drivers themselves...The grill....not so much. The speaker hit the edge of my rack/cabinet in such a way that the grill itself sustained no damage except to shear off all four mounting pins into the speaker itself. Does anybody have any idea of how to get the cute little plastic ends out of my speaker? Any idea of how to fix the grill? I thought about magnets from parts express...just need to figure out how to attach the magnets... I can go "sans grill" but prefer not to...Thanks in advance
My first thought would be to use either a long but skinny wood or sheet metal screw. You may need to drill a small hole in it so the screw doesn't cause the post to expand. Screw it in a turn or 2 the pull the screw and post out.
Good Luck
post #18618 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post

My first thought would be to use either a long but skinny wood or sheet metal screw. You may need to drill a small hole in it so the screw doesn't cause the post to expand. Screw it in a turn or 2 the pull the screw and post out.
Good Luck

Nice...
I'll give it a try.
post #18619 of 21804







Edited by jaxwired - 2/15/13 at 3:44pm
post #18620 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post

...
New speakers? Sweet! smile.gif
post #18621 of 21804
^^^ WoW! If I had a room like that, mine would have never left! Gorgeous Jax! cool.gif
post #18622 of 21804
One of the nicest rooms I've seen on here. Props for keeping everything so clean!
post #18623 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post


Nice choice Jax biggrin.gif
post #18624 of 21804
looks great jax. congrats
post #18625 of 21804
Congrats on a clean, minimalist setup! BTW, may I ask what amp and speaker wires those are?
post #18626 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Congrats on a clean, minimalist setup! BTW, may I ask what amp and speaker wires those are?

My man Jax will love that; clean and minimalist is what he lives for! wink.gif

Ooh, ooh; Mister Kot-ter! I know the answer...but wouldn't dare steal Jax's thunder, lol.
post #18627 of 21804
First, thanks for all the kind words... smile.gif

Regarding my system:

iTunes streaming lossless files to AirPort Express
Toslink digital out of Airport Express into
Benchmark DAC2 HGC, this acts as DAC and preamp to feed
Bryston 4bsst2 amplifier
Cables are all The Chord Company cables.
Speakers and stand are of course DYNAUDIO biggrin.gif

My system is done other than toying with preamps. There, I said it! And damn it, I'm stcking to it!!! (at least for today!!!) rolleyes.gif
post #18628 of 21804
emotiva makes a reasonably priced, compact sealed sub
post #18629 of 21804
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post

First, thanks for all the kind words... smile.gif

Regarding my system:

iTunes streaming lossless files to AirPort Express
Toslink digital out of Airport Express into
Benchmark DAC2 HGC, this acts as DAC and preamp to feed
Bryston 4bsst2 amplifier
Cables are all The Chord Company cables.
Speakers and stand are of course DYNAUDIO biggrin.gif

My system is done other than toying with preamps. There, I said it! And damn it, I'm stcking to it!!! (at least for today!!!) rolleyes.gif

Awesome system! How does this system compare to your Perrauex/Harbeth SHL5 system?
post #18630 of 21804
The harbeths are superb speakers but they are huge and they do not have the modern vibe I like. They are also a very warm speaker and probably sound best in a room that is more lively than mine. The perreaux is also one of the best amps I've ever owned. It's a steal on the used market (and I'm not just saying that because I have one for sale, lol). I think the bryston is just a bit better of a pairing with dynaudio though and I like the looks a lot better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread