or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 659

post #19741 of 21769
Just got my GIK Tri traps today!

My first impression is that I gained lots of clarity. This weekend I will do the whole fun setup procedure again to see if I need to change my sub crossover/placement and will let you guys know the difference. I still have to do the more important back and front wall treatments to really get improvements on the nulls I experience on my couch.

Here are some pictures:







post #19742 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

The dessert menu from the the 6moons review looks appetizing. smile.gif

"Octave's V80 is characterized by ...

'for tubes' unbelievably well defined, differentiated and extended bass which, due to juiciness and body, turns many transistors into dry food.
a tonal balance set to zero and hence cooler than other valves. I find timbre differentiation well above the norm and ditto for speed and agility.
a generally neutral progression from the midrange through the treble with just a bit of extra energy in the presence region. In lit-up or even hard systems, the V80 won't act as antidote whatsoever.
a realistically broad and deep soundstage on which individual actors are cleanly elucidated, i.e. instruments and voices are embodied and surrounded by air for a very believable rendition.
an exceptionally dynamic behavior particularly fascinating in the micro range of the midband. One remains connected to the music.
a high degree of PRaT. The V80 tracks all music without hesitation."



Maybe, some day!

I hear you, I would love to have a Octave in my system, I only heard them at a dealer once. I would love to have one of these back Musical Fidelity (KW-500) which I think was just as good, this is my system before I had kids. The MF gear just for some reason matches up very well with Dynaudio Speakers. I can't say much for the nice looking CD Player by Consonance as I think they make ok stuff, it just doesn't hold up! I had the casing crack on 2 units. The KW-500 I see has popped up on Audiogon but guy is asking way too much, as I can pick up in good shape for 2K. This would be a step up even from what I am using.


Edited by Garman - 6/26/13 at 12:21pm
post #19743 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Q View Post

Just got my GIK Tri traps today!

My first impression is that I gained lots of clarity. This weekend I will do the whole fun setup procedure again to see if I need to change my sub crossover/placement and will let you guys know the difference. I still have to do the more important back and front wall treatments to really get improvements on the nulls I experience on my couch.

Looks great! I'm not sure I'll be able to do that unless I get a dedicated theater room though.
post #19744 of 21769

Thanks, I hadn't seen these before.
post #19745 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by btscott View Post

Thanks, I hadn't seen these before.

I've actually heard the Emo in-wall speakers, if you're just looking for surround channels, those sound great. They actually sound good enough that I'd be willing to use them in a living room system if I had a separate listening room elsewhere in the home. Worth a look especially with the difference in cost. I can't remember if it was the 8.2 or 6.2 though.. Sorry that I can't be more detailed in that regard. If you're really interested, I can get a more detailed look as they're in my father's home serving surround duty.
post #19746 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Q View Post

Just got my GIK Tri traps today!

Next up, on my list of to-gets; you know...right after "new speakers" redface.gif
post #19747 of 21769
There's some excitement over at Naim. They have revamped the line of NAIT integrated amps. The new SuperNait 2 looks to be a killer box. It loses the DAC (which makes sense to me, given all the digital options at Naim) but everything else about it is much improved.
post #19748 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

There's some excitement over at Naim. They have revamped the line of NAIT integrated amps. The new SuperNait 2 looks to be a killer box. It loses the DAC (which makes sense to me, given all the digital options at Naim) but everything else about it is much improved.

I really want something Naim... but ee gads it's certainly more than I want to pay! Hopefully the new 5si will help the 5i-2 to drop in price.
post #19749 of 21769
post #19750 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post

I really want something Naim... but ee gads it's certainly more than I want to pay! Hopefully the new 5si will help the 5i-2 to drop in price.

Well, there are no less than three NAIT XS for sale on Audiogon now.

When I got back into Naim two years ago, the SuperNait 2 would have been perfect. I am happier I ended up where I am now with a 282/250, but the SuperNait 2 really does look impressive. Add a ND5 XS or a NDX and you have one killer digital system that can drive a vast number of speakers and that will serve an analog front end equally well.
post #19751 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Next up, on my list of to-gets; you know...right after "new speakers" redface.gif

Well you should feel redface.gif as your setup brought back a wonderful nostalgia from 1974 for me when I had my Dynaco A25s.

(not mine but the setup was similar)
post #19752 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post


Well you should feel redface.gif as your setup brought back a wonderful nostalgia from 1974 for me when I had my Dynaco A25s.

(not mine but the setup was similar)

Uh...thanks? eek.gifwink.gif
post #19753 of 21769
i did something I never expected i would do, bought a pair of dynaudio stands...here are the pics. these were bought used and i got a phenominal deal.




post #19754 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

i did something I never expected i would do, bought a pair of dynaudio stands...here are the pics. these were bought used and i got a phenominal deal.

Awesome! I don't for one second regret buying mine!
post #19755 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Next up, on my list of to-gets; you know...right after "new speakers" redface.gif

I thought you already had them boxed redface.gif besides these tri traps I am planning for some of the art traps.

Hmmm new speakers... Dyns right? Wut no??
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post

Also, Roksan Kandy K2, 6 days left, currently at 200gbp ~308USD
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roksan-Kandy-K2-Integrated-Amplifier-New-boxed-Black-5-year-warranty-/300925361159

I can highly recommend this amp. Even for its full retail price it's worth the money. I still have mixed feelings about upgrading my Kandy for something else. I don't really feel its lacking in any kind of way, but I never know until I try.
post #19756 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Uh...thanks? eek.gifwink.gif

Hi CD

In some circles the Harbeth Compact 7 was reminiscent to the Dynaco A25s. wink.gif
post #19757 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

Well, there are no less than three NAIT XS for sale on Audiogon now.

When I got back into Naim two years ago, the SuperNait 2 would have been perfect. I am happier I ended up where I am now with a 282/250, but the SuperNait 2 really does look impressive. Add a ND5 XS or a NDX and you have one killer digital system that can drive a vast number of speakers and that will serve an analog front end equally well.

Looking at the new XS-2 it looks like the guts of the NAP200 has been put into the new design and that the old XS amp section is now in the 5si.
post #19758 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

Looking at the new XS-2 it looks like the guts of the NAP200 has been put into the new design and that the old XS amp section is now in the 5si.

Separates will still be better. A 202/200 will outperform a Nait XS 2 and a 282/250 will outperform a SuperNait. That's to be expected, the 202/200 and 282/250 are far more expensive. But these are great improvements to their line of integrated amps.

If I were starting over, I could easily see getting a SuperNait and one of the digital products, like the ND5 XS I have now. I passed the original SuperNait over because I didn't want the built-in DAC. I think they did the right thing removing it in the SN2.
post #19759 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

i did something I never expected i would do, bought a pair of dynaudio stands...here are the pics. these were bought used and i got a phenominal deal.





Nice! They are really good stands. Worth every penny even at full retail IMO.
post #19760 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

Separates will still be better. A 202/200 will outperform a Nait XS 2 and a 282/250 will outperform a SuperNait. That's to be expected, the 202/200 and 282/250 are far more expensive. But these are great improvements to their line of integrated amps.

If I were starting over, I could easily see getting a SuperNait and one of the digital products, like the ND5 XS I have now. I passed the original SuperNait over because I didn't want the built-in DAC. I think they did the right thing removing it in the SN2.

i realize that the seperates will be better, but the price of admission is not low. I also think with IAs getting better and better.... its a convienent and affordable way to go. I have an offer for a brand new "old" XS-2 that Im considering... I might just jump on it. or save up for the new one... we'll see.
post #19761 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

i realize that the seperates will be better, but the price of admission is not low. I also think with IAs getting better and better.... its a convienent and affordable way to go. I have an offer for a brand new "old" XS-2 that Im considering... I might just jump on it. or save up for the new one... we'll see.


I totally agree. When you are talking separates with brands like Naim, Octave, Simaudio, etc you are playing with the high end of things. Dollar for dollar, these new IAs are really big bang for the buck. I got into Naim separates more by chance than design. If I were starting all over now, I'd be on that new SuperNait 2 in a heartbeat. I think it is going to represent tremendous value in the Naim line...as are the XS2 and 5si.
Edited by RaceTripper - 6/27/13 at 5:11pm
post #19762 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post

Nice! They are really good stands. Worth every penny even at full retail IMO.

thanks jax, the deal was unbelievable.... so i couldnt pass it up. very good stands.
post #19763 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

I totally agree. When you are talking separates with brands like Naim, Octave, Simaudio, etc you are playing with the high end of things. Dollar for dollar, these new IAs are really big bang for the buck. I got into Naim separates more by chance than design. If I were starting all over now, I'd be on that new SuperNait 2 in a heartbeat. I think it is going to represent tremendous value in the Naim line...as are the XS2 and 5si.

I think talking to the wife im gonna get the "old" xs-2, which will be brand new... then later(after i get 260s) I might add a NAP200 and after that a NAC152X or 202.... this would be a 2 yr plan or so. but i might just stay with the xs-2
post #19764 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

I think talking to the wife im gonna get the "old" xs-2, which will be brand new... then later(after i get 260s) I might add a NAP200 and after that a NAC152X or 202.... this would be a 2 yr plan or so. but i might just stay with the xs-2
Good plan.

I started with a UnitQute, added a NAP250, added a NAC 202, and upgraded the 202 to a 282. After getting the 202, I traded-in the Qute for a ND5 XS. That was over the course of about two years.

The Nait XS is a fantastic place to start.
post #19765 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

Good plan.

I started with a UnitQute, added a NAP250, added a NAC 202, and upgraded the 202 to a 282. After getting the 202, I traded-in the Qute for a ND5 XS. That was over the course of about two years.

The Nait XS is a fantastic place to start.

::drool drool:: And the Naim gear looks great to-boot.
post #19766 of 21769
"La Redoute"
Special Twenty Five and Contour 1.3MKII

Spent a couple hours yesterday afternoon having a listen to my Contour 1.3MKIIs in place of the 25s and thought I’d give just a brief recap.
First up was Jennifer Warnes’ “Famous Blue Raincoat” which someone have given me, definitely well recorded but categorically not my cup of tea but I’m sure I’m not in the majority here.
The recording engineers though have done a very good with excellent stage width and the wall of drums on “Bird on a wire” was well placed with body and heft behind Warnes who took centre stage and the Contours clearly showed the syncopation between the studio musicians. Not to go into full detail but each cut was well done.
I also took Talking Heads’ re-mastered “Speaking in Tongues” for a spin, which has even a fuller sound, bass having that “hit you in the chest” effect, the engineers taking advantage of the complete aural spectrum, again offering a broad barrage of sound extending outside the speaker boundaries. David Byrne though was less distinctive in a 3 dimensional space (most likely not a priority in the 1983 recording) compared to Warnes although stage depth was still prominent with regards to the instrumentation.
Last up was John Surman’s “Private City” a meditative mix of solo tracks with a somewhat ambient use synthesized backing, which was well placed behind him.

Well the overall session was musically enjoyable, even with Cohen’s cover songs which were bit too sugar coated for my tastes; all discs were rendered in a cohesive manner as the 1.3MKIIs are very balanced, nothing obtrusively coming to my attention.

Well it came time to put the Special 25s back in place, now the 1.3MKIIs were not optimally placed, but still through my educated ears the differences were striking.
The 25s revealing themselves as a definite a thoroughbred trained to deliver the goods as a high-end speaker, the sound stage opened-up even more, especially the depth of imaging and tiny details, mostly likely due to the Esotar tweeters. And of course the 8” “Evidence” Esotar mid/bass driver, producing better distinctive layers between the bass and drums, overall the whole musical presentation IMO was more refined (real), the 25s disappearing into a deeper and wider sound stage.

But mostly, now that I’ve lived with 25s for a few years and with this afternoons comparison I believe I can understand in an objective way why the 25s are not for everyone. I’ve mentioned this before but the 25s force you into listening to the musical event, sort of like taking the time off to go a concert, which is my personal ideal goal for a stereo system.
The Contours I would call “an all day speaker” and mostly likely indicative to what most experience with Dynaudio, and even though they are not as revealing as the 25s they are very well balanced musically and I did not feel anything was amiss.
Edited by rob80b - 7/1/13 at 11:00am
post #19767 of 21769
Speaking of great music to audition or just to kick back and relax with these wonderful line of speakers from Dynaudio. I would highly recommend "Leonard Cohen" Ten New Songs, one of his finest recored CDs I have in my collection! I wish they had it on SACD. Allison Krauss, basically most of her music and voice are pretty breath taking on these speakers. Please post more....

Rob80b: Right now I am just down to my C1s and Excites in my office. I am also using some PSB Imagine which I can highly recommend to anyone as well, but I will always have a pair of Dynaudios in my house and they have never left my main system. Using C2's as fronts and the SCX Center channel along with Contour SRs for rears.
post #19768 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View PostHi wse, How bad was it, it took 3-4 days for my new XPA-200 to clear, but I can imagine the XPA-1L being Class A what it might be like. Did you leave it on continually for a few days straight, that usually does the trick to burn off most of the burnt residue from the manufacturing process.
All new electronics will smell to one degree or another but if Emotiva are not washing the assembled boards after soldering or doing preliminary burn-in on their amps, which at the price I expect they do not, then it’ll probably be noticeable without even plugging it in, still it’s fairly common, just Goggle “new amp smell”.
But being their first Class "A" amp it just might be a little detail (the smell that is) that they did not take into consideration. rolleyes.gif
Bryston, Classe etc. usually perform a burn-in for 100 hours or so and that usually solves the problem.

Other than the smell how were the XPA-1Ls at driving your speakers as they did catch my interest.

Really nasty, and I am talking for over two weeks, so count me out of Emotivarolleyes.gif 

 

In addition they had lousy customer service, it took a while for me to get anyone on the phone they never respond to emails only after I received the RMA.

 

The amps were still smelling when I sent them back after three week :(  I have never experience this before none of the electronics I ever bought smelled anything! Too be honest, they smelled so bad that I could stay in the room, so I put them in a room with windows open, fans blowing and on for two weeks still smelling like the electronics were burning!

 

I would rather pay a bit more and get good customer service with quality products.

post #19769 of 21769
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Really nasty, and I am talking for over two weeks, so count me out of Emotivarolleyes.gif
 


In addition they had lousy customer service, it took a while for me to get anyone on the phone they never respond to emails only after I received the RMA.


The amps were still smelling when I sent them back after three week frown.gif  I have never experience this before none of the electronics I ever bought smelled anything!
Too be honest, they smelled so bad that I could stay in the room, so I put them in a room with windows open, fans blowing and on for two weeks still smelling like the electronics were burning!

Hi WSE

I have found that with any company "customer service" at times can be hit an miss, but from my experience their CS has been very good even with gear I've purchased second hand.
As for the smell, I agree it's not acceptable, as their product is coming boxed directly from China I would have called and asked to speak to Dan or Lonnie as it's in their best interest to know first hand what shape their product is arriving in to customer. Personally I believe they really are trying their best at manufacturing great product for the best price so I wouldn't right them off just yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I would rather pay a bit more and get good customer service with quality products.

The net is inundated with complaints from purchasers of high end equipment, don't even mention audio gear look at cars!!!!!eek.gif
Edited by rob80b - 6/28/13 at 12:21pm
post #19770 of 21769
Bass - the lower frequencies of the audio spectrum
Base - the bottom of something
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread