or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 661

post #19801 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

NIce. That is a more serious sub than my R-328, although I am happy with what I have. FWIW: I have mine at its lowest setting, 30 Hz. My speakers are rated -3db at 35 Hz.

I don't know if it's more serious. It's quite a bit of a different design, since it uses a huge 4,75 'downfiring' bass reflex port and a paper cone. The model isn't officially listed anymore, but compared to the new subs, it's relatively cheap (I paid 2250 for it). It's also quite large and heavy, which explains it's frequency response. I bought the B1 because I wasn't really sure about going bookshelves or floor standers, so I wanted a sub that could go deep enough to support even the biggest floor standers.
post #19802 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Q View Post

I don't know if it's more serious. It's quite a bit of a different design, since it uses a huge 4,75 'downfiring' bass reflex port and a paper cone. The model isn't officially listed anymore, but compared to the new subs, it's relatively cheap (I paid 2250 for it). It's also quite large and heavy, which explains it's frequency response. I bought the B1 because I wasn't really sure about going bookshelves or floor standers, so I wanted a sub that could go deep enough to support even the biggest floor standers.

My R-328 has a 10" front firing cone and a 12" down-firing passive carbon-fiber radiator with a 350W Class D amp (actually, the 500W amp used in the R528, but throttled to 350W). It is -6 db at 22 Hz. It works really well so far with my S3.4s.
post #19803 of 21596
I was always curious why most REL users appeared to run their mains full-range, now I know!! wink.gif

“RELs are not traditional subwoofers, but true sub-bass systems. A REL is designed to augment the performance of “full range” speaker systems, to provide linear response down to below 12 Hz. Therefore, for the moment, set aside everything you’ve been taught about subwoofers and how they are integrated into a stereo or theatre system. REL’s set-up and positioning differs from other subwoofers. A REL will take advantage of physics and room acoustics to provide deep pressurization as no other sub-woofer can. It’s important that you bring to the set-up process a willingness to do things a little differently in order to obtain these superior results. The end result of your labours will be an utterly seamless integration of true deep bass to a sound system, regardless of the main speaker’s low bass capability.”

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/rel/manuals/b_series_manual.pdf
post #19804 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

I was always curious why most REL users appeared to run their mains full-range, now I know!! wink.gif

If we could all be so lucky.
(I've shown these a few years ago but thought it would be informative)

In my current room I’m plagued by nasty peaks and nulls, with a major suck-out at 50hz (see graph) so I’ve been using a Velodyne SMS-1 in conjunction with the sub, which has really helped. The sub is brought in at 80hz to cover the nulls, and and then the peaks can be lowered with is preferred to boosting the nulls, note the SMS-1 only applies EQ to the sub and not the mains.

Special 25s Full range no sub.

Even with the 25s crossed over the peak remained.

Special 25s 80hz crossover no sub. (ignore the EQ)

My only way to get a smooth bass response was to use the plugs on the 25s.

Special 25s 80hz crossover with plugs installed.

It was then much easier to contour the sub with the SMS-1 for a flat response throughout the room.

25s with sub

I've since done a lot more fine tuning, especially at the crossover point, but I might try some bass traps if I can accommodate them, but as it stands now I'm very content with the present set-up.
Edited by rob80b - 7/3/13 at 1:39pm
post #19805 of 21596
I am over in Europe on business and have been working 15-hour days for around two weeks now, and I have been unable to follow the board much.

I did see new NAIM products. YAY! I am not sure if this helps me with my decision process or not. Has anyone seen USD pricing information on the XS "3" and SN2?

I did step into a very large and high-end audio store ("Profis") in Frankfurt/Main. After talking with a guy for a while, he said he was unimpressed with Dynaudio sales and doubts he'll carry any of the New Excite series. He seemed to be pushing the ELAC brand with models such as the FS 249 as compared to the Focus 260s. Anyone heard ELAC before? He also had high praise for Monitor Audio despite not selling them through his store. He also more or less poo-pooed stand-mounts in general. Yay for German directness. To each his own, right?

callas: I see that you bought stands for your 160s? Why did you buy them if planning to upgrade to the 260s soon?
post #19806 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

I am over in Europe on business and have been working 15-hour days for around two weeks now, and I have been unable to follow the board much.

I did see new NAIM products. YAY! I am not sure if this helps me with my decision process or not. Has anyone seen USD pricing information on the XS "3" and SN2?

I did step into a very large and high-end audio store ("Profis") in Frankfurt/Main. After talking with a guy for a while, he said he was unimpressed with Dynaudio sales and doubts he'll carry any of the New Excite series. He seemed to be pushing the ELAC brand with models such as the FS 249 as compared to the Focus 260s. Anyone heard ELAC before? He also had high praise for Monitor Audio despite not selling them through his store. He also more or less poo-pooed stand-mounts in general. Yay for German directness. To each his own, right?

callas: I see that you bought stands for your 160s? Why did you buy them if planning to upgrade to the 260s soon?

I wish my work would send me to Europe on business... id love to go to Spain.

yeah, Naim has introduced 3 new IAs. The prices are $1800, 2900, 4995, if i recall correctly. Heres what I have learned, the 5si has been upgraded to 60 wpc, the new XS 2 is 70 wpc and the SN still is 80 wpc but doesnt have the dac anymore.

Im actually buying a brand new old XS-2 cause i can get it for a great price, and i plan to keep the 160s for a couple years at least, so I figured it was best to buy the stands.
post #19807 of 21596
So...anyone got 260s yet?
post #19808 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

I wish my work would send me to Europe on business... id love to go to Spain.

yeah, Naim has introduced 3 new IAs. The prices are $1800, 2900, 4995, if i recall correctly. Heres what I have learned, the 5si has been upgraded to 60 wpc, the new XS 2 is 70 wpc and the SN still is 80 wpc but doesnt have the dac anymore.

Im actually buying a brand new old XS-2 cause i can get it for a great price, and i plan to keep the 160s for a couple years at least, so I figured it was best to buy the stands.

Where did you get these as the new prices? Soundorg doesn't show them yet. The new SuperNait 2 is priced less in the UK than the old one with the DAC. I though it would drop here too.
post #19809 of 21596
they were sent to me via email by the dealer im buying the old XS-2..... however i might be wrong on the 5si, it could be $1700 or $1750, when i get a chance ill look it back up and copy and paste it here.
post #19810 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

So...anyone got 260s yet?

gonna take me a year or 2 now
post #19811 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

they were sent to me via email by the dealer im buying the old XS-2..... however i might be wrong on the 5si, it could be $1700 or $1750, when i get a chance ill look it back up and copy and paste it here.

I wonder if the dealer really knows, or is just guessing? My dealer often doesn't know pricing this soon after announcement. It could be months before it's even available.

I think you should get a SuperNait 2 so you can tell me how it is. tongue.gif
post #19812 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

I wonder if the dealer really knows, or is just guessing? My dealer often doesn't know pricing this soon after announcement. It could be months before it's even available.

I think you should get a SuperNait 2 so you can tell me how it is. tongue.gif

well the email i got was an official looking notification/sales introduction with all the details and pricing.... ill copy and paste what i can later.
post #19813 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

well the email i got was an official looking notification/sales introduction with all the details and pricing.... ill copy and paste what i can later.

Fair enough. Prices haven't really changed much then. The SuperNait 2 took a slight (£75) reduction in the UK. Looks like that is not being passed along to U.S. customers. Bastards!
post #19814 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

I've since done a lot more fine tuning, especially at the crossover point, but I might try some bass traps if I can accommodate them, but as it stands now I'm very content with the present set-up.

I think the pro's of bass trapping is that you actually deal with the real problem, but if you have some EQ ing available, I'd say: why not? The biggest con of bass traps is the space they take and their looks. With a dedicated music room, I'd say getting the room fully treated is a no brainer.
post #19815 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Q View Post

I think the pro's of bass trapping is that you actually deal with the real problem, but if you have some EQ ing available, I'd say: why not? The biggest con of bass traps is the space they take and their looks. With a dedicated music room, I'd say getting the room fully treated is a no brainer.

I have a dedicated listening room, but a lot of effort has gone into making it look good and inviting. Bass traps and treatments are not on the agenda.
post #19816 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

I have a dedicated listening room, but a lot of effort has gone into making it look good and inviting. Bass traps and treatments are not on the agenda.

You could cover every thing with nice acoustically transparent fabric and have your room superbly treated!
post #19817 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

You could cover every thing with nice acoustically transparent fabric and have your room superbly treated!

What would I cover with that fabric?

post #19818 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

What would I cover with that fabric?

EVERYTHING
post #19819 of 21596
Hi guys, I thought I'd chime in here with a couple of observations. One, I've had the c4's now for the better part of a year and a half and for the first time in a long time the yearly bug to switch speakers hasn't hit me, the c4's mix of clear midrange, high resolution and superb imaging, not to mention it's visceral bass still continue to make me very happy and the next jump up ( a used Temptation ) still remains a far off dream. Although not as exciting a speaker as the Sapphire, in the long run the ability to play virtually any music and hear deep into the recording has ultimately proved more valuable to me.

In other news, a lightning strike effectively took out my cherished Jeff Rowland Capri the other night but this proved to be a somewhat blessing is disguise because I connected my DAC ( an m2tech young ) directly to the power amplifier with volume control provided by iTunes and the results have been a very pleasant surprise, in short i sensed an improvement in imaging, a de-veiling of the midrange and an increase in dynamics. The itunes>>dac>>power amp configuration sounds superior to the cd player>>preamp>>power amp.

Personally I have no plans of ever going back to using a preamp in my system.
post #19820 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

EVERYTHING

There's no place to coat fabric in my room that wouldn't be silly and ridiculous. It sounds great as it is anyway.
post #19821 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

There's no place to coat fabric in my room that wouldn't be silly and ridiculous. It sounds great as it is anyway.

Hi RaceTripper

Actually looks like you have things nicely balanced out, not over damped and not too lively.
The front wall of LPs is a great inert mass for early reflections and vibrations as is the area rug, sofas work as great bass traps,
having the equipment rack on the side and the two coffee tables in the middle break up standing waves.
How’s the back wall?
post #19822 of 21596
Contour series.

When is the refresh? This year? Next Year? Never?

I'm thinking of selling my S1.4 that I now have had for four years since the current Contour series is now ten years old, so logic dictates that the new version should come out SOON...
Not that I'm tired of the sound or anything, they are just in wrong color for the rest of my setup (bought used).

Anyone know anything?
post #19823 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

Hi RaceTripper

Actually looks like you have things nicely balanced out, not over damped and not too lively.
The front wall of LPs is a great inert mass for early reflections and vibrations as is the area rug, sofas work as great bass traps,
having the equipment rack on the side and the two coffee tables in the middle break up standing waves.
How’s the back wall?

Thanks for the assessment. I think the only possible issue I have is the large framed picture next to the right speaker. We plan to replace that with a stretched-canvas painting.

Back wall as shown. There is a CD shelf to the right of the sofa (where picture cuts off at left).


Edited by RaceTripper - 7/6/13 at 8:48am
post #19824 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkster View Post

Contour series.

When is the refresh? This year? Next Year? Never?

I'm thinking of selling my S1.4 that I now have had for four years since the current Contour series is now ten years old, so logic dictates that the new version should come out SOON...
Not that I'm tired of the sound or anything, they are just in wrong color for the rest of my setup (bought used).

Anyone know anything?

No one knows. I think it's possible the Contour series won't be refreshed but abandoned. Too much overlap.

The Excite series was just revamped, so I wouldn't expect anything before next year.
post #19825 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post

Thanks for the assessment. I think the only possible issue I have is the large framed picture next to the right speaker. We plan to replace that with a stretched-canvas painting.

Back wall as shown. There is a CD shelf to the right of the sofa (where picture cuts off at left).
]

A nice hanging Persian carpet or wall tapestry works great. wink.gif

In my previous house my stereo was in a fairly lively 15’ by 25’ living room and I did use some of my larger paintings, 5’ x 6’
but I actually placed 1” soft foam sheets flush within the frame behind the canvas.
post #19826 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

...
In my previous house my stereo was in a fairly lively 15’ by 25’ living room and I did use some of my larger paintings, 5’ x 6’
but I actually placed 1” soft foam sheets flush within the frame behind the canvas.
Oh, that's a good idea. Thanks.
post #19827 of 21596
While we're on room treatments, here is one I applied a few years ago, doesn't help with bass but if one has a large flat screen TV or a bare wall behind the speakers, treble and imaging can be improved by diffusing secondary early reflections.


10/24/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

More tweaking,

Got around to making a makeshift hanging for the front of the plasma.

This room treatment has exceeded my expectations, as some of you are aware I found an improvement in image, detail and depth by throwing a wool blanket over the TV.

The wall brackets were placed so that the hanging is a few inches from the front of the set so that direct and reflected waves from the front and back waves from the TV are diffused by the material, the improvements in detail and image retention are superb and much better than my initial trials, almost like I have a new system. Even if you do not have a TV to cover up I'm sure most would benefit from a similar treatment to the front wall, the results in my room are quite startling, probably something I should have done a long time ago. I'd say the system improvement has been much greater than any component upgrade, including the move from the Contour 1.3MKIIs to the 25s and only cost a few bucks.




Edited by rob80b - 7/6/13 at 10:00am
post #19828 of 21596
well, if Sound Advise is right, then the following is the pricing for the new Excites:

X14 $1500
X24C $1000
X34 $3400
X38 $4500
post #19829 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

well, if Sound Advise is right, then the following is the pricing for the new Excites:

X14 $1500
X24C $1000
X34 $3400
X38 $4500
That's a pretty huge jump in price. The x36 is around $3600.
post #19830 of 21596
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

well, if Sound Advise is right, then the following is the pricing for the new Excites:

X14 $1500
X24C $1000
X34 $3400
X38 $4500

Who, or what...is a Sound Advise??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread