or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 678

post #20311 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

No one was saying or implying you were, CD.

And, it's not tube watts that are different; watts are watts; looking at them differently isn't relevant. It's the ability to swing current that's relevant. The reason that tube amps of lower power can drive difficult speaker loads effectively is the current output from their transfomers, not because tube watts are *different*.

Umm...sure they are; and thank you for making my case, so convincingly. As you say yourself...tube amps (typically) swing more current. Last time I checked...that's different.

'Philes...or maybe it's just this place; take things wayyy too literally sometimes (and definitely, too seriously). When someone says X gear killed Y gear; I don't think they mean to indicate X $2,000 amp...sounded like an AM transitor, while Y $4,000 amp sounded like a symphony hall. And when I say "you have to look at tube watts differently anyway"...I don't mean put on new glasses; or invent a new f-ing science to analyze it rolleyes.giftongue.gif

I mean...apples to apples...you can't compare the number 50 watts, in a tube unit, to 50 watts in an SS unit; at least in part...if not in WHOLE...because you can expect the tube unit to swing more current, and therefore sound "more powerful". How is that not different? Sheesh; welcome back Stephen! wink.gif
post #20312 of 21649
Octa,
Absolutely agree that tubes sound different, and IMHO, better, on the whole. There are things tubes do that really get music right.

That being said, there are some exceptional solid state products out there that are just as engaging, holographic, musical and sweet as tubes. My Conrad-Johnson Premier 350 was one of them. What an amp! Holy smokes.

Also, DarTZeel, Burmester, EAR, TAD, Esoteric, just to name a few are exceptional sounding solid state products. Pricey, but you get what you pay for in high-end.
post #20313 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

Octa,
Absolutely agree that tubes sound different, and IMHO, better, on the whole. There are things tubes do that really get music right.

That being said, there are some exceptional solid state products out there that are just as engaging, holographic, musical and sweet as tubes. My Conrad-Johnson Premier 350 was one of them. What an amp! Holy smokes.

Also, DarTZeel, Burmester, EAR, TAD, Esoteric, just to name a few are exceptional sounding solid state products. Pricey, but you get what you pay for in high-end.
Agreed - and I will also say I would prefer the higher end SS over tubes. Just can't get anywhere near affording that.
post #20314 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Umm...sure they are; and thank you for making my case, so convincingly. As you say yourself...tube amps (typically) swing more current. Last time I checked...that's different.

'Philes...or maybe it's just this place; take things wayyy too literally sometimes (and definitely, too seriously). When someone says X gear killed Y gear; I don't think they mean to indicate X $2,000 amp...sounded like an AM transitor, while Y $4,000 amp sounded like a symphony hall. And when I say "you have to look at tube watts differently anyway"...I don't mean put on new glasses; or invent a new f-ing science to analyze it rolleyes.giftongue.gif

I mean...apples to apples...you can't compare the number 50 watts, in a tube unit, to 50 watts in an SS unit; at least in part...if not in WHOLE...because you can expect the tube unit to swing more current, and therefore sound "more powerful". How is that not different? Sheesh; welcome back Stephen! wink.gif

I would say that a 50 Watt Class A solid state amplifier can swing as much current as a 50 watt tube amp....quite possibly more, and sound just a luscious. And as I've mentioned some time ago, when it comes down to amps, the circuit topology design is what is the key factor, not whether the output device is SS or tube. Tim de Paravicini says that he can design SS gear so that it is virtually indistinguishable from tube gear with respect to the best qualities of tubes. And he can...I know for a fact because my solid-state EAR 324 phono stage is just as sweet and musical as my tube EAR 384P phono stage, except that is quieter, blacker with respect to noise, more transparent and resolving yet not at all "solid-state" sounding. If I didn't tell you it was SS, there would no way to know from listening to it.
post #20315 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

I would say that a 50 Watt Class A solid state amplifier can swing as much current as a 50 watt tube amp....quite possibly more, and sound just a luscious. And as I've mentioned some time ago, when it comes down to amps, the circuit topology design is what is the key factor, not whether the output device is SS or tube. Tim de Paravicini says that he can design SS gear so that it is virtually indistinguishable from tube gear with respect to the best qualities of tubes. And he can...I know for a fact because my solid-state EAR 324 phono stage is just as sweet and musical as my tube EAR 384P phono stage, except that is quieter, blacker with respect to noise, more transparent and resolving yet not at all "solid-state" sounding. If I didn't tell you it was SS, there would no way to know from listening to it.

You're preaching to the choir PC; I'm the one, rockin' the Cayin 265Ai right now!



40 STRONG watts, of class-A sweetness wink.gif

P.S. Class-A...is also "different" tongue.gif
post #20316 of 21649
Which DACs are sitting there on the left? I think the MyTek is one of them?
post #20317 of 21649
What do you all think of say a TEAC UD-501 DAC + NAIM SuperNait2 combo versus say the April Music Stello Ai500?
post #20318 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

Which DACs are sitting there on the left? I think the MyTek is one of them?

Si; and the DAC showing its ass, is the PS Audio PWD mkII.
post #20319 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Si; and the DAC showing its ass, is the PS Audio PWD mkII.

And which of the two do you prefer?
post #20320 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

And which of the two do you prefer?

GTA, as with a lot of things...it's really a matter of taste; and especially a matter of system matching. The Mytek is Sabre-based; and while I'm a fan of that chip...there's no question it's brighter than the PWD mkII. Now...I haven't found it to be fatiguing, because I'm running the warm-ish class-A Cayin (and the "rich"-sounding Harbeth 7s wink.gif

So...the Mytek is crisp and detailed; and features a TON of tech, at the price, etc. I would call the PWD mkII, more "refined"; I guess what some would call more "analog-like" (I don't have a TT...so I wouldn't know). It's the best DAC I've heard to date; and while I would say the Mytek is fairly different-but-equal...I think head-to-head, the PWD probabaly would win-out, among typical 'philes.

The PWD also has a ton of tech; especially if you use the available Network Bridge, and a media-server like JRiver to serve to it. Great unit...and Paul (McGowan) is a real digital enthusiast, and he's about to take this system...working in conjunction with JRiver...to the next level (DSD, etc).

Why...wanna buy it? wink.gif
post #20321 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

You're preaching to the choir PC; I'm the one, rockin' the Cayin 265Ai right now!



40 STRONG watts, of class-A sweetness wink.gif

P.S. Class-A...is also "different" tongue.gif

Yes, it's a difference of...circuit topology.
post #20322 of 21649
Nah, the PWDII is too rich for my blood. The TEAC UD-501 compares favorably to the MyTek at half the cost, so I have read...and $850 is more palatable.

I would rather consider spending $4900 on the SuperNait2 than $3,995 on a DAC.
post #20323 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

Nah, the PWDII is too rich for my blood. The TEAC UD-501 compares favorably to the MyTek at half the cost, so I have read...and $850 is more palatable.

I would rather consider spending $4900 on the SuperNait2 than $3,995 on a DAC.

Fair enough; but before you turn your nose up at expensive DACs. Keep in mind...there's no getting around the GIGO principle.

Besides; no one, and I mean no one...ever paid $3995 for a PWD mkII...lol wink.gif
post #20324 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

Nah, the PWDII is too rich for my blood. The TEAC UD-501 compares favorably to the MyTek at half the cost, so I have read...and $850 is more palatable.

I would rather consider spending $4900 on the SuperNait2 than $3,995 on a DAC.
you could always look at the NWD for $1k. its one of the 2 units im looking into upgrading to. the other is the eastern electric minimax plus dac. im actually looking more into the ee plus dac the most since it has the ability to play both as a tube product and SS product, uses the famed ess 9018 dac chip, some good stuff for the money, imo.
post #20325 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

you could always look at the NWD for $1k. its one of the 2 units im looking into upgrading to. the other is the eastern electric minimax plus dac. im actually looking more into the ee plus dac the most since it has the ability to play both as a tube product and SS product, uses the famed ess 9018 dac chip, some good stuff for the money, imo.

Callie, we've talked privately right? I've owned both of those DACs.
post #20326 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Callie, we've talked privately right? I've owned both of those DACs.

A little. Can you give me your impressions of both.
post #20327 of 21649
Since DAC tech is far more fast-paced, I just can't fathom spending more than $500-$1000 on one at the moment. The investment should be on the amplification side; something like the NAIM 5si ($1500), XS2 ($3000), SN2 ($5000), etc.

Right now the TEAC UD-501 ($850) and Meridian Director ($600) have piqued my interest.
post #20328 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

Since DAC tech is far more fast-paced, I just can't fathom spending more than $500-$1000 on one at the moment. The investment should be on the amplification side; something like the NAIM 5si ($1500), XS2 ($3000), SN2 ($5000), etc.

Right now the TEAC UD-501 ($850) and Meridian Director ($600) have piqued my interest.

GTA...I both agree some, and disagree some (and then I'll leave it at that). I disagree with your rationale...that you shouldn't spend too much on a DAC, because the technology is rapidly changing. It is; but not on the hardware side...on the software side. And actually, one of the things that the "expensive" DACs are doing (or at least should be), is making themselves very easily...firmware up-gradable (not that "cheaper" DACs can't/aren't; just some of them choose not to).

Where I will agree with you though, is DACs have a real law-of-diminishing-return curve these days. Meaning...it's a glorious time, for inexpensive DACs wink.gif Besides...why does the money you save on a DAC; have to be spent on a Naim amp?? tongue.gif
post #20329 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

GTA...I both agree some, and disagree some (and then I'll leave it at that). I disagree with your rationale...that you shouldn't spend too much on a DAC, because the technology is rapidly changing. It is; but not on the hardware side...on the software side. And actually, one of the things that the "expensive" DACs are doing (or at least should be), is making themselves very easily...firmware up-gradable (not that "cheaper" DACs can't/aren't; just some of them choose not to).

Where I will agree with you though, is DACs have a real law-of-diminishing-return curve these days. Meaning...it's a glorious time, for inexpensive DACs wink.gif Besides...why does the money you save on a DAC; have to be spent on a Naim amp?? tongue.gif

Because I want to roll some Benjamins and snort some pixie dust smile.gif
post #20330 of 21649
have a new addition coming in. should take a week to come in, but will be happy when its here.

post #20331 of 21649
Excite x36 v Focus 160
anybody ever hear these two?

interested in the differences, will be paired with Naim Nait xs
post #20332 of 21649
callas: congrats! w00t! I guess Christmas is coming early?
post #20333 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by prolle View Post

Excite x36 v Focus 160
anybody ever hear these two?

interested in the differences, will be paired with Naim Nait xs

Well, no, I haven't. Last time I visited my local JS Audio dealer in Bethesda, MD, they had both of these on-hand, so if you live nearby...

But I have read from several places that people preferred the X32 over the X36. And if we know that the Xeo5 is based off of the X32, I have done a Focus 160 vs. Xeo5 comparison. I came home with the Focus 160. I just thought everything, including mid-range and bass performance, was better on the Focus stand-mount. I also presently prefer the aesthetics of a stand-mount in my living situation.

FYI, the online dealer, DedicatedAudio.com, is now selling the New Excite series. The new X34 sells for $3400 compared to the X32 for $3000. But there is no substitute for a live audition.

I am very curious how the New Excite X34 ($3400) compares with the Focus 160 ($2900) and the New Excite X38 ($4500) with the Focus 260 ($4900).
post #20334 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by prolle View Post

Excite x36 v Focus 160
anybody ever hear these two?

interested in the differences, will be paired with Naim Nait xs

ive heard the x36 and own the 160s, havent done a side by side, but at one point got to hear the 36s vs the older 220s. they were close, but the 220s still produced a little more detail thru the mids and added bass weight. now the newer focus speakers are more transparent then the older ones, so you should get a clearer view into the music, and what i found going from the x16s to the 160s is that not only was there much improved bass response, more detail and better imaging, but i could get more insite into the recording where and how it was done; adelle sounds like she is singing into a canned microphone, you get a better sense of the ambiance of blues alley when listening to eva cassidy, john mayer where the light is, you could tell the 3 guys on stage with him at the begining acoustic set as their voices became more distinct and seperate from johns. these are albums i have heard numerous times and these things became much more clear to me then with the previous excites.

for sound timbers, id say that i find the excites a little cooler sounding and the focus a little more neutral, slightly tipped up lower trebble as you get from the specials, but not tipped up as the sapphires. however when paired with the xs, which is what i use, the 160s sound very good, they strike a good balance of sound being that the focus is a little more aggressive and the xs a little more laidback, they meet in the middle very well. i find that the xs has much better control then my 5i did with the 160s. the excites have the advantage of the larger cabinet and added drivers so if you listen to organs and some classical that has deep extension the x36s will dig lower into the frequency range, but if you are listening to the 5 string bass and only need to hit that mid-30s range, the 160s can do that very well and i love the bass they can put down, but if you want to get super low in the frequency range at high spls the 160s will probably bottom out before that happens, and that is just physics and the limitations of a monitor. but if you live above 40hz with your music and want improvements of the higher end line, the 160s will be a better speaker overall. IMO.

what kind of music do you like to listen to? how big is your room? what volume do you crank it up to?
post #20335 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

callas: congrats! w00t! I guess Christmas is coming early?

thanks buddy, and yes it did.
post #20336 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

Well, no, I haven't. Last time I visited my local JS Audio dealer in Bethesda, MD, they had both of these on-hand, so if you live nearby...

But I have read from several places that people preferred the X32 over the X36. And if we know that the Xeo5 is based off of the X32, I have done a Focus 160 vs. Xeo5 comparison. I came home with the Focus 160. I just thought everything, including mid-range and bass performance, was better on the Focus stand-mount. I also presently prefer the aesthetics of a stand-mount in my living situation.

FYI, the online dealer, DedicatedAudio.com, is now selling the New Excite series. The new X34 sells for $3400 compared to the X32 for $3000. But there is no substitute for a live audition.

I am very curious how the New Excite X34 ($3400) compares with the Focus 160 ($2900) and the New Excite X38 ($4500) with the Focus 260 ($4900).

talking to my dealer the other day, i know that he has a shipment of speakers coming in soon, and he said the x14 and x34s should be in there as well. im gonna try to audition the x34s and 160s side by side for kicks and giggles.
post #20337 of 21649
Anyone know if the new x14 screws into the stands? I know the focus do not, but hoping the new excites do.
post #20338 of 21649

Anyone interested in a 1 year old mint Rosewood SCX with the Center Base? PM me for details.

post #20339 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

Right now the TEAC UD-501 ($850) and Meridian Director ($600) have piqued my interest.
Marantz has a very interesting DAC which is also network capable and right now is selling for $400. Take a look and see what you think.



http://www.musicdirect.com/p-45607-marantz-na7004-network-enabled-dac.aspx
post #20340 of 21649
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

Marantz has a very interesting DAC which is also network capable and right now is selling for $400. Take a look and see what you think.



http://www.musicdirect.com/p-45607-marantz-na7004-network-enabled-dac.aspx

Thanks for the suggestion!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread