or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 683

post #20461 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

My admittedly...rather biased opinion; is for the Wyred kit. One...I'm a fan of Wyred. No bells and whistles; not even much audiophile street-cred or cache. But...ridiculous watt to dollar ratios; and the best class-D sound, I've heard to date (because the watt : dollar ratio, is meaningless without good sound). Our boy Jax...who we all know, never met kit he wasn't willing to throw over-board in lieu of something new (pot, meet kettle...lol)...has really fallen hard, for Wyred gear. First...he wouldn't release his clutch, on an STi-1000; just like you speak of. He liked it sooo much; he bought a DAC2DSDse, as his DAC/front-end...and mated it with a "special" ST-1000, from EJ. Don't mean to steal his thunder; but he's a guy you should talk to...and I'm sure he'll check in shortly.

As for Naim; look, their fans will have their say here too. But there's really no debate; it's pretty expensive kit, yes? At the very least...let's call the Wyred stuff, a better value. You like value; don't you GTA? wink.gif

Yep, I could not be happier with my wyred4sound setup. Sound is stunning. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Naim is one of the few major players that I haven't owned so I can't comment on the comparison. What I can say is that the wyred4sound dac2 SE (got to be the SE) and the hot off the line ST1000 mkii I currently enjoy is making me more satisfied than any previous system including substantially more expensive gear. I'm not saying there isn't plenty of other great choices, but I am saying for the money I don't know how you can beat it. The DAC2 SE is truly state of the art. The about to be released ST mkii amps have all new input and output stages with the latest gen ICE modules. Plus, of course, you get 1000w into 4 ohms, stable into 2 ohms while running cool In a single small lightweight box. And the new mkiii amps look like a million bucks.



post #20462 of 21661
Ah, so the plot thickens!

I assume the MKII version of the STI-1000 is not yet official? I don't see it on their website....

How would you describe its sound signature?
post #20463 of 21661
Hi Guys,

I'm under the impression that monitors are better at projecting a 3D-sound stage than larger, floorstanding speakers. Is this correct, or is this just an experience I had with a few specific speakers?

Since I'm still in the slow and never ending process of upgrading, I'm intent on selling my Elac fs208 Anniversary Edition and getting a pair of good Dynaudio speakers to replace them. Up until this point, the Contour s3.4 (which I want BADLY!!) are out of my price range (even used). But, concidering my opening statement, it could be that I'm better off with the Contour s1.4 (or something) similar, anyway.

Does anyone have a useful comment or insight on this subject?

I do like well balanced, deep bass (not per se loud and with slam, although that is fun for movies and gaming), but I like an involving 3D, and life-like presentation even better - deep bass helps with that. I have a 25Hz subwoofer that works reasonably well with Audience 122's and small monitors as well (when sealed). I also need to add that I currently use a Rotel RSX-1067 to drive everything.

If Contour s3.4's are not an option price-wise, could a good pair of Audience 72SE's be a good alternative? This, of course, if I decide to go with large speakers.

Thanks a lot, people!
post #20464 of 21661
Get the S1.4 and a subwoofer if you don't have one. The 72SE is not that good. It was my first Dynaudio speaker and I thought that it was vastly overpriced for the sound that it put out. The S1.4 that I have now is a much better speaker.
post #20465 of 21661
Thanks, lulimet.

This morning I auditioned a (seemingly new model??) S1.4 and it sounded pretty darned good indeed! Somehow I'm stuck on the idea of getting towers and I'm wondering if the extra power/pressure/whatever you'll get from a pair of s3.4's is worth the extra investment. I'm willing to save up. But if I can get what I need from a smaller package, I might have a good deal very soon. As soon as I can ditch my current Elac speakers, that is.

I have a subwoofer (Adam Sub10 mkII) and I'm going to try to test drive the set of s1.4's in my home, with my subwoofer.
Edited by jamesblond - 11/12/13 at 6:27am
post #20466 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post

Thanks, lulimet.

This morning I auditioned a (seemingly new model??) S1.4 and it sounded pretty darned good indeed! Somehow I'm stuck on the idea of getting towers and I'm wondering if the extra power/pressure/whatever you'll get from a pair of s3.4's is worth the extra investment. I'm willing to save up. But if I can get what I need from a smaller package, I might have a good deal very soon. As soon as I can ditch my current Elac speakers, that is.

I have a subwoofer (Adam Sub10 mkII) and I'm going to try to test drive the set of s1.4's in my home, with my subwoofer.

If your subwoofer is properly integrated, it can make stand mount speakers sound larger then most floor standers ever will. You do need a very fast subwoofer that can keep up with the main speakers and at the same time is able to completely disappear. From my memory when I auditioned them, the S1.4 goes quite deep.


Anyway:
My W4S STI-1000 just arrived cool.gif

First quick impressions:
- Oh my! its light! Quite a bit lighter then the Roksan! Thats Class D efficiency for you!
- It reveals even more details. The C1's are loving it!
- Just for funs I turned up the volume a bit while playing Felguk's 'Side By Side' and 'oh my', now thats what I call control! The 1140 Watts in 4Ω are no joke. Even with my sub not yet connected the rock solid, skull splitting bass the C1's produce still amaze me. At loud volumes the sound is still crisp a clear.

I'll share some more impressions after listening to it for a while and when I have the sub connected.
post #20467 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post

Thanks, lulimet.

This morning I auditioned a (seemingly new model??) S1.4 and it sounded pretty darned good indeed! Somehow I'm stuck on the idea of getting towers and I'm wondering if the extra power/pressure/whatever you'll get from a pair of s3.4's is worth the extra investment. I'm willing to save up. But if I can get what I need from a smaller package, I might have a good deal very soon. As soon as I can ditch my current Elac speakers, that is.

I have a subwoofer (Adam Sub10 mkII) and I'm going to try to test drive the set of s1.4's in my home, with my subwoofer.

I own the 3.4s for my mains and the 1.4s for my center. Tonally...nearly identical. The 3.4's will allow for more volume capability than the 1.4s....so, they'll go louder and handle dynamic peaks better.

I don't think monitors inherently image better. I think it's more accurate to say: For the same money, you generally get better bang/buck with a monitor, as you don't spend money on cabinet build/design.

As an example, the s3.4 is similar in price to C1's. The C1's have a more expensive tweeter and mid-driver, but cannot go as low or as loud. The 3.4 is more dynamic as well.

Pros and cons of each.
post #20468 of 21661
Mr. Q and JAX: Okay, getting confused here. I know W4S makes the STI-1000 and the ST-1000...but which is getting an MKII version?

I assume Q has the STI-1000 and JAX the ST-1000? The latter he is using the DAC2DSDse as his pre-amp? Whereas Q is using what as a DAC?

I know JAX hasn't compared with NAIM but what about Q? biggrin.gif
post #20469 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

Mr. Q and JAX: Okay, getting confused here. I know W4S makes the STI-1000 and the ST-1000...but which is getting an MKII version?

I assume Q has the STI-1000 and JAX the ST-1000? The latter he is using the DAC2DSDse as his pre-amp? Whereas Q is using what as a DAC?

I know JAX hasn't compared with NAIM but what about Q? biggrin.gif

GTA...Jax has an ST-1000, in mkII guise. I know this isn't exactly your question; but I wonder if the rest of the line is getting an update (anytime in the near future)?

I read a great review, of how W4S mAMPs...pair quite nicely with KEF LS-50s (my newly acquired monitors). But I wonder...at the same price; whether SX-500s or mAMPs are the move (and whether the SX line will get a face-lift any time soon; technically, mkIII...as they've already gone through one revision)
post #20470 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

Mr. Q and JAX: Okay, getting confused here. I know W4S makes the STI-1000 and the ST-1000...but which is getting an MKII version?

I assume Q has the STI-1000 and JAX the ST-1000? The latter he is using the DAC2DSDse as his pre-amp? Whereas Q is using what as a DAC?

I know JAX hasn't compared with NAIM but what about Q? biggrin.gif

Only the power amp line is getting an update to mkii status. Should go on sale officially in the next 4 weeks or so. And yes, I'm using the DAC2dsdSE as my preamp/DAC to feed the ST1000 amp.

No changes to the integrated amp line have been announced at this time. The existing STI1000 is a killer integrated amp already although it doesn't sport the cool new look of my ST 1000 mkii amp.
post #20471 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post

Only the power amp line is getting an update to mkii status. Should go on sale officially in the next 4 weeks or so. And yes, I'm using the DAC2dsdSE as my preamp/DAC to feed the ST1000 amp.

No changes to the integrated amp line have been announced at this time. The existing STI1000 is a killer integrated amp already although it doesn't sport the cool new look of my ST 1000 mkii amp.

Got it. Luck you biggrin.gif

So how do I get you to borrow a NAIM SuperNait2 and do an A-B comparison with the W4S? biggrin.gif
post #20472 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

Mr. Q and JAX: Okay, getting confused here. I know W4S makes the STI-1000 and the ST-1000...but which is getting an MKII version?

I assume Q has the STI-1000 and JAX the ST-1000? The latter he is using the DAC2DSDse as his pre-amp? Whereas Q is using what as a DAC?

I know JAX hasn't compared with NAIM but what about Q? biggrin.gif

I never heard NAIM, but with all the rave going around about them, there must be something good about it. I mainly bought the STI-1000 because it has a good cost / performance, just like my previous amp, the Roksan Kandy K2 (highly recommended for someone searching for a 1K int amp), which I will keep for a second system later on. Also I wanted something Class D for a change and something that is large enough to drive the biggest, most inefficient speakers, because you never know when Dynaudio decides to make that Evidence stand mount speaker.. or when I suddenly have something like a Consequence UE.. hmmm eek.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

GTA...Jax has an ST-1000, in mkII guise. I know this isn't exactly your question; but I wonder if the rest of the line is getting an update (anytime in the near future)?

I read a great review, of how W4S mAMPs...pair quite nicely with KEF LS-50s (my newly acquired monitors). But I wonder...at the same price; whether SX-500s or mAMPs are the move (and whether the SX line will get a face-lift any time soon; technically, mkIII...as they've already gone through one revision)

What are the LS-50s like? I somehow missed them introducing these speakers. Since they are quite small, I thought they could work as some nice computer speakers.
post #20473 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Q View Post

What are the LS-50s like? I somehow missed them introducing these speakers. Since they are quite small, I thought they could work as some nice computer speakers.

OMG; please don't relegate them, to computer-speaker duty Mr. Q! Wayyy too good for that.

Ask anyone who's owned them...or read the reviews; they almost demand, electronics...more costly than themselves. And I'm not normally a guy that violates that rule. Usually, you should...of course...spend more, or at the very least, equal parts...on speakers than gear.

But don't let the price-tag fool you; and don't think "bargain" speakers, therefore necessitate "bargain" electronics. They're new to me...but they give the impression, they have a very high ceiling. Feed them well, and you might be hard-pressed to out-class them. Now...no one is suggesting, they'll replace C2s; lol...there are physical laws at work.

But again..."computer" duty? Hell...I bought them for the Office (which is not a "computer" based system; just smaller, and less-expensive than the Main one), and I'm thinking they deserve the Main room; maybe even in place of my beloved Harbeth 7s eek.gif
post #20474 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

OMG; please don't relegate them, to computer-speaker duty Mr. Q! Wayyy too good for that.

Ask anyone who's owned them...or read the reviews; they almost demand, electronics...more costly than themselves. And I'm not normally a guy that violates that rule. Usually, you should...of course...spend more, or at the very least, equal parts...on speakers than gear.

But don't let the price-tag fool you; and don't think "bargain" speakers, therefore necessitate "bargain" electronics. They're new to me...but they give the impression, they have a very high ceiling. Feed them well, and you might be hard-pressed to out-class them. Now...no one is suggesting, they'll replace C2s; lol...there are physical laws at work.

But again..."computer" duty? Hell...I bought them for the Office (which is not a "computer" based system; just smaller, and less-expensive than the Main one), and I'm thinking they deserve the Main room; maybe even in place of my beloved Harbeth 7s eek.gif

My current setup is both a computer setup and a listening setup, because I am currently limited to one room for everything. Don't get me wrong, I spend a lot of time behind my computer with my other hobby: Drawing digital art. When I move I hope to be able to separate my computer from my listening room, and I am looking for both a lightweight and affordable speaker. I will probably power it with the Roksan which I recently replaced. The Roksan was very capable at driving the C1, so I am sure it will be able to handle the LS50. Maybe I'd add a smaller REL to it to help a bit with the lower frequencies.
post #20475 of 21661
You W4S guys have thrown a wrench into my NAIM pixie dust soup. It would be nice if they officially release the ST-1000 MkII soon. Will there be a Black Friday special? biggrin.gif

It may come down to NAIM X2 + NAIM DAC V1 ($5300) vs. W4S ST-1000 MkII + W4S DAC2DSDse (ca. $4500).

Now how to audition both?
post #20476 of 21661
JAX: What speakers are you running these days? Didn't you ditch the C1s?
post #20477 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

It may come down to NAIM X2 + NAIM DAC V1 ($5300) vs. W4S ST-1000 MkII + W4S DAC2DSDse (ca. $4500).

post #20478 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

You W4S guys have thrown a wrench into my NAIM pixie dust soup. It would be nice if they officially release the ST-1000 MkII soon. Will there be a Black Friday special? biggrin.gif

It may come down to NAIM X2 + NAIM DAC V1 ($5300) vs. W4S ST-1000 MkII + W4S DAC2DSDse (ca. $4500).

Now how to audition both?

Unless you can demo both...or buy one/demo the other if you can't addition both. Come on man....you know this. I owned the Naim xs-2, flatcap power supply, and Naim dac v1 with Sapphires. It was a nice combo, and I wish I had it longer than I did/to this day for my C2s.
Edited by seanmf - 11/14/13 at 2:09pm
post #20479 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

JAX: What speakers are you running these days? Didn't you ditch the C1s?

PMC IB2S

post #20480 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

You W4S guys have thrown a wrench into my NAIM pixie dust soup. It would be nice if they officially release the ST-1000 MkII soon. Will there be a Black Friday special? biggrin.gif

It may come down to NAIM X2 + NAIM DAC V1 ($5300) vs. W4S ST-1000 MkII + W4S DAC2DSDse (ca. $4500).

Now how to audition both?

NAIM has lots of fans and a cult following. In my experience there's usually a good reason for that so I'm sure the NAIM system would be great. As for the wyred system I cannot imagine you being disappointed. The DAC2SE is world class and mates with the wyred amp wonderfully. The sound is so natural and lifelike yet pristinely clean and detailed. I'm thrilled with this setup.
post #20481 of 21661
Ordered a Dynaudio Contour S C Centre speaker to compliment my Sonus Faber Liuto Towers. Can't wait to hear it. Hope it's good.
post #20482 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post


Explain yourself! biggrin.gif
post #20483 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhead View Post

I own the 3.4s for my mains and the 1.4s for my center. Tonally...nearly identical. The 3.4's will allow for more volume capability than the 1.4s....so, they'll go louder and handle dynamic peaks better.

I don't think monitors inherently image better. I think it's more accurate to say: For the same money, you generally get better bang/buck with a monitor, as you don't spend money on cabinet build/design.

As an example, the s3.4 is similar in price to C1's. The C1's have a more expensive tweeter and mid-driver, but cannot go as low or as loud. The 3.4 is more dynamic as well.

Pros and cons of each.
Thanks, good reply.

I've managed to sell my pair of Audience 122's foro a good price. Now I'm hoping to sell my Elac's for around €900,- Then, hopefully next week, I can pick up a pair of S1.4's.

You say they can't go as loud as s3.4's. I don't think that will be a problem since I rarely (if ever) play louder than 95dB. My normal listening levels are about 75 - 80dB. I might crank it a little with movies, but since my priority has shifted to music, I'm guessing I'll be fine with these speakers (:
post #20484 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

Explain yourself! biggrin.gif

I think we all lost our sanity a long time ago when we bought our first set of Dynaudio speakers. I mean, who in their right minds pays so much money for a piece of wood, metal and some synthetic materials?

But I have to admit I am a bit in the same camp when it comes to spending money on gear. I already had a hard time spending 2k on the STI-1000.

Is there really a 'better' when it comes to gear? Sure, when you compare cheap gear with good gear, I'd say there is a notable difference, but when you compare good gear with good gear, is there really a 'better' or is it simply 'different'?

I think that's where you start entering the realm of psychoacoustics. When something is different, we usually take a liking it, but it doesn't mean it's 'better'. It might even be worse, but because of the difference it stands out. You might even be able to climb up the ladder and come back to the same gear you've had before.
post #20485 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post

Thanks, good reply.

I've managed to sell my pair of Audience 122's foro a good price. Now I'm hoping to sell my Elac's for around €900,- Then, hopefully next week, I can pick up a pair of S1.4's.

You say they can't go as loud as s3.4's. I don't think that will be a problem since I rarely (if ever) play louder than 95dB. My normal listening levels are about 75 - 80dB. I might crank it a little with movies, but since my priority has shifted to music, I'm guessing I'll be fine with these speakers (:

I think they'll be plenty loud for you.....especially since you have a sub to handle the low stuff.

I also think you'll enjoy these when properly set up......good luck!
post #20486 of 21661
Hope so! Up until now, I've mostly had big(-ish) speakers. I liked those, because of their dynamic abilities and low-end extension. So I'm really anxious to hear how these tiny (in comparison) S1.4's hold up with loud(er) music and movie sound tracks...

If and when I get them, I'll try to post a picture, proud as I'll probably be biggrin.gif
post #20487 of 21661
Apparently I registered on this site a long time ago, but this may well be my first post.....

I'm a long-time Dynaudio fan - have owned many pairs in the Audience, Contour and Confidence lines, including the C2, C3, C4 and Sapphires. For a variety of reasons, I have moved a lot in the last few years, so models keep coming and going. Until just recently, I was living in a tiny condo and I bought a pair of the Xeo 3's to minimize the footprint.

Recently, though, I moved to a much bigger condo, and best of all, it has a very large LR / DR / Kitchen setup, where I'll be able to place the speakers in a rational position, sit 12-15 feet back from them, and have open air extending many feet behind me from there. The "room" is nominally about 14x29, but it is open to the kitchen and the entryway, so it's really in a space that is about 25x30. The only "problem" is one of the long walls is all floor-to-ceiling windows.

I'm looking for advice on what will sound best in this environment. My wife prefers the look of floor-standers, so despite having read about the C1's a lot, I will likely go for C2's, C4's or the Sapphires. Of course, the Sapphires are no longer available new, so that would be a used purchase. And the Confidence line now has the newer models, which I have never heard and have no local place to demo.

I love all types of music, and I love to play it at whatever volume is appealing, which is often very loud. That said, living in a condo limits the ultimate volume level I can play.

So, I'd like any opinions on:

1. Are the C4's overkill for this room and it being a condo?
2. Do the new versions of the Confidence line outshine the Sapphires?
3. Do the new versions of the Confidence line outshine the original versions enough that it's worth paying for a new pair vs relatively easily being able to find a much cheaper used pair of the originals?
4. Any other observations on the setting I'm describing .

Thanks, Kirk
post #20488 of 21661
Why not consider the Focus 260?

Lots of good deals over on Audiogon for used Contour S3.4 speakers as well...
post #20489 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaske View Post

Apparently I registered on this site a long time ago, but this may well be my first post.....

I'm a long-time Dynaudio fan - have owned many pairs in the Audience, Contour and Confidence lines, including the C2, C3, C4 and Sapphires. For a variety of reasons, I have moved a lot in the last few years, so models keep coming and going. Until just recently, I was living in a tiny condo and I bought a pair of the Xeo 3's to minimize the footprint.

Recently, though, I moved to a much bigger condo, and best of all, it has a very large LR / DR / Kitchen setup, where I'll be able to place the speakers in a rational position, sit 12-15 feet back from them, and have open air extending many feet behind me from there. The "room" is nominally about 14x29, but it is open to the kitchen and the entryway, so it's really in a space that is about 25x30. The only "problem" is one of the long walls is all floor-to-ceiling windows.

I'm looking for advice on what will sound best in this environment. My wife prefers the look of floor-standers, so despite having read about the C1's a lot, I will likely go for C2's, C4's or the Sapphires. Of course, the Sapphires are no longer available new, so that would be a used purchase. And the Confidence line now has the newer models, which I have never heard and have no local place to demo.

I love all types of music, and I love to play it at whatever volume is appealing, which is often very loud. That said, living in a condo limits the ultimate volume level I can play.

So, I'd like any opinions on:

1. Are the C4's overkill for this room and it being a condo?
2. Do the new versions of the Confidence line outshine the Sapphires?
3. Do the new versions of the Confidence line outshine the original versions enough that it's worth paying for a new pair vs relatively easily being able to find a much cheaper used pair of the originals?
4. Any other observations on the setting I'm describing .

Thanks, Kirk

Rhett, who doesnt come on here to often changed out his Sapphires for C4 Sigs and he has seemed to like the change. I believe his room is a little smaller then yours, I forget, and he likes them in his room. Also, for your windows, have you considered eco-friendly Black Out curtians at Walmart? Im lookinh into those for my room as I have windows and a mirrored wall in my room. Im hoping it will cut down on some of the reflections and add some acoustic treatment properties.
post #20490 of 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaske View Post


1. Are the C4's overkill for this room and it being a condo?
2. Do the new versions of the Confidence line outshine the Sapphires?
3. Do the new versions of the Confidence line outshine the original versions enough that it's worth paying for a new pair vs relatively easily being able to find a much cheaper used pair of the originals?
4. Any other observations on the setting I'm describing .

Thanks, Kirk
1 - The C4's should be fine in the new room - C2's would also be very good but the C1's may not be enough.
2 - That depends what you mean by outshine. Sapphires are very punchy and forward. Very aggressive speakers. For some (like me) they can be too much. The Confidence it more refined meaning the bass - mids and highs will be very proportional to each other. In my opinion a more honest balanced sound. After a couple of hrs with the sapphires is all I can take. I can listen to the confidence line forever. AGAIN that's me. Both have their qualities. For short (about an hour) listening session I prefer the sapphires. Any longer and I prefer the confidence.
3 - In my opinion a big difference. The originals sounded better as you turned them up. The originals will go a bit louder. The MKII/Sig series sound a lot better at lower listening levels. At mid level volumes (65 - 75db) they are a lot clearer sounding. From about 85db and up they are about the same. BTW I upgraded from the original C1 to the Signature and had them side by side for a while. So 'in my opinion again' if most of the time you listen at 85db and up the originals are a bargain. But if you mostly listen below 85db the MKII/Sig is a better speaker.
4 - Room treatments?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Dynaudio Owner's Thread