Originally Posted by cswanson
I'm thinking of getting this Phillips 42" LCD from Costco (Austin, TX), and I wanted to get a bit of advice from people. I JUST considered getting a flat panel LCD, so I'm on a learning curve. Any help would be much appreciated and will provide you with good karma ;-)
Have: Nice Sony receiver (DB900 I think)
avg-good Sony DVD player
Time Warner cable box / DVR
- what kind of cable should I get from the cable box / DCR to the TV? Is the
more expensive cables worth it?
- I'm set on the LCD TV, and you all give this one rave reviews. Any other critical
info I should know?
- Any gotchas? Wish-you-hads?
- DO I want a special surge protector on the system?
- Can I install this myself? Or is that a fools errand?
- get regular component cables (5 wires, looks like rcs cables). Its obvious you are not needing 5 million dollar cables seeing your equipment list.
- make sure you download the latest firmware. This machine had a few bugs, but they are now fixed. DEFINITELY worth the money.
- Wish I had your DVR
- yes, but nothing too special, just get one.
- yes, hmmm, maybe I shouldn't answer that one. But seriously, its really not difficult, just read the directions on the connections.