or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Hitachi 57F59A
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hitachi 57F59A

post #1 of 4690
Thread Starter 
i just had a couple of quick questions for you guys. I recently purchased the hitachi 57 inch projection tv. got it for a great price. Anyways i was reading another thread on here about getting better picture qaulity by adjusting the settings from the factory settings. i was just curious if anybody else has this tv and what percentages you are using for contrast, and the other picture quality settings. thanks for any help.
post #2 of 4690
i have this tv. here are my settings off the top of my head that i know. contrast is 40% brightness 48 or 50% color is 43%, color enhancement is standard, black edge enhancement is off, edge enhancement is low. sharpness is around 15%. i also have the virtual hd setting set to 540p and the noise reduction off. try these and see what you think. i get a very good picture overall on these settings for analog cable, digital cable channels and HD LOOKS AWESOME of course. let me know what you think of these if you try them. i got a great deal as well on mine and for the size, price, and picture quality you can't beat it. i forgot to say that if you have cable set you box to 1080i as i have found this give the best picture compared to 480,720 ect..
post #3 of 4690
Good settings
post #4 of 4690
Could I ask a huge favor of you guys? Those of you that have this set, could you post up come digicam pics of it in action? If you could show HD and/or Xbox360 in action that would rock! I'm about |---| this close to pulling the trigger and picking one of these up

Thanks so much!

Matt
post #5 of 4690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattford11 View Post

Could I ask a huge favor of you guys? Those of you that have this set, could you post up come digicam pics of it in action? If you could show HD and/or Xbox360 in action that would rock! I'm about |---| this close to pulling the trigger and picking one of these up

Thanks so much!

Matt

I would but my set washes everything out. even with thebigdaddys settings
post #6 of 4690
post #7 of 4690
here is an hd picture from discovery HD. sorry for some glare i'm not a camera expert so understand the camera picture doesn't do the real tv picture justice. here you go. http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ture0196ih.jpg http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ure0214jo1.jpg
post #8 of 4690
sexy indeed! I pulled the trigger and picked it up for 1318.xx from Circuit City I should have it by the weekend
post #9 of 4690
Thread Starter 
well i changed the settings last night. just note i am just hooked up to regular cable. havn't switched over to digital or hd yet. What a big difference it made. I had to tweek some of the adjustments a little differnt , but overall it's close. for those of you guys thinking of getting one of these, do it. It's worth the $$$.
post #10 of 4690
Getting TV tomorrow. I'll try to post up some pics once I recieve it. I really think this will be a killer set. I'm upgrading from a 30" Sony HD WS CRT - HS-420
post #11 of 4690
I just brought mine home... CC price matched sears online @ 1139 then I got the 10% difference discount... OTD for 1206

now my only problem is that the optical digital output (sux that they did not use coax!) and I now need to make a long run so I will need to buy a long optical cable. crap!


thanks everyone for the info on this and other threads... for 1206 I could not beat it! Especially since I sold my 5 year old SD RPTV for 650!


thebigdaddye,
what are you other settings for color temp and the mode: night/day ?
I looked at 1080i vs 540p and on SD and DVD material could not see a difference (have not tried HD yet) - what is your thought on using 540p?
post #12 of 4690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post

I just brought mine home... CC price matched sears online @ 1139 then I got the 10% difference discount... OTD for 1206

now my only problem is that the optical digital output (sux that they did not use coax!) and I now need to make a long run so I will need to buy a long optical cable. crap!


thanks everyone for the info on this and other threads... for 1206 I could not beat it! Especially since I sold my 5 year old SD RPTV for 650!


thebigdaddye,
what are you other settings for color temp and the mode: night/day ?
I looked at 1080i vs 540p and on SD and DVD material could not see a difference (have not tried HD yet) - what is your thought on using 540p?

the 540p mode is virtual HD for SD content only I prefer 540p personally

And color temp depends on the source but i use standard, and do not use pre set night and day modes because they are both torch modes for the set
post #13 of 4690
My settings for my own house lighting is as follows.

Night (pretty much for 99% of my DVD viewing)

Contrast 40%
Brightness 54%
Color 50%
Sharpness 50%
Color Standard
Black E. low
Edge E. low

During the summer I have my set turn on these settings at 7:30PM Winter months ill change it to 6pm or so.

All connections are into my receiver to my TV via component. Cable Box & DVD at 1080I.
post #14 of 4690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post

I just brought mine home... CC price matched sears online @ 1139 then I got the 10% difference discount... OTD for 1206

now my only problem is that the optical digital output (sux that they did not use coax!) and I now need to make a long run so I will need to buy a long optical cable. crap!


thanks everyone for the info on this and other threads... for 1206 I could not beat it! Especially since I sold my 5 year old SD RPTV for 650!


thebigdaddye,
what are you other settings for color temp and the mode: night/day ?
I looked at 1080i vs 540p and on SD and DVD material could not see a difference (have not tried HD yet) - what is your thought on using 540p?

Found it! Sweet, I ended up getting the set for 1215.00, so i'll PM this and save even more! Thanks!
post #15 of 4690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post

I just brought mine home... CC price matched sears online @ 1139 then I got the 10% difference discount... OTD for 1206


thebigdaddye,
what are you other settings for color temp and the mode: night/day ?
I looked at 1080i vs 540p and on SD and DVD material could not see a difference (have not tried HD yet) - what is your thought on using 540p?

re =other settings my color setting is at standard, the night mode is pretty much the same as day except the brightness is turned down a couple percent to like 45 or 48%. the 540p is for virtual HD setting so standard definition in upconverted to 540p and dvd's are as well. set your dvd player if you have an upconvert one to 1080i. you can probably get away with turning down the contrast a bit as well, i have mine at 40% as this gives me the best overall setting for all content. you could turn it down another 5 to 10% and not lose to much contrast. like i said i like mine on 40%. also what are you using to connect your cable/sat and dvd? if you can use hdmi on dvd if you have one that supports it. enjoy your set i know i do. for the price size and pic quality you can't beat this tv.
post #16 of 4690
I wish one of you had an xbox360, id love to see that before tomorrow ) I'm just way too anxious
post #17 of 4690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattford11 View Post

I wish one of you had an xbox360, id love to see that before tomorrow ) I'm just way too anxious

Like i said before i'd take a pic but i got a lemon and the picture is downright ******

Edit: this is the only decent pic i have of the dash.
LL
post #18 of 4690
thats not so bad, at least from a digital camera point of view I just got my call, 9-11am
post #19 of 4690
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigdaddye View Post

re =other settings my color setting is at standard, the night mode is pretty much the same as day except the brightness is turned down a couple percent to like 45 or 48%. the 540p is for virtual HD setting so standard definition in upconverted to 540p and dvd's are as well. set your dvd player if you have an upconvert one to 1080i. you can probably get away with turning down the contrast a bit as well, i have mine at 40% as this gives me the best overall setting for all content. you could turn it down another 5 to 10% and not lose to much contrast. like i said i like mine on 40%. also what are you using to connect your cable/sat and dvd? if you can use hdmi on dvd if you have one that supports it. enjoy your set i know i do. for the price size and pic quality you can't beat this tv.

My Sources and Connections:
Dishnetwork DVR : S-Video, no other choice until I make the jump to HD on my Dish.
XBOX (DVDs) : Component and since it runs XBOX Media Center (XBMC) it will output movies in 1080i over component.

I do not have anything with HDMI yet, I'll be putting together an HTPC with a videocard that outputs via HDMI once they start showing on the market. Then I will run everything through it and use Descaler to scale everything to 1080i which should kill the internal Hitachi upscaling (though it does a pretty good job).
post #20 of 4690
Oh, does this set sit on casters, so i can roll this tv around if needed?
post #21 of 4690
it has wheels and moves very easy even on carpet. once the guy's from cc brought it inside the door they pushed it the rest of the way.
post #22 of 4690
Sweet! Its funny, i havent even seen the back of the TV so I have no idea what kind of hookups and configuration its in :/ I read what i could off the CC.com site. I think its got more than enough. Although, i thought I heard someone saying something about a coax out!?
post #23 of 4690
does anyone get an enourmous amount of over scan on SD channels? I cant barely see the score of the world cup on SD Espn2?!
post #24 of 4690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattford11 View Post

does anyone get an enourmous amount of over scan on SD channels? I cant barely see the score of the world cup on SD Espn2?!

Yeah i do, i go into the service menu and adjust to see what i need to see, i didnt see anything in there to actually correct overscan itself though all there was was white balanace for the colortemperatures and horizontal and vertical screen positioning.

just incase your wondering, menu-menu-8-select , write down settings before you change them trust me and never click on factory reset i did it went to a green screen and i had to unplug my set and lose my settings lol
post #25 of 4690
thebigdaddye: did you adjust your settings @ all for SD overscan?

Oh, and anyone thats programmed this set with a Comcast remote, how do you change the inputs? :/ the menu comes up, but wont let me hit "select" or ">"
post #26 of 4690
post #27 of 4690

i got excited because i thought CC would beat sears price by %10, but they are only going to do it by $25, i almost had a 57inch....so close but i do not have $175 ******** i say ********

nvm that would be $250 difference after tax 14yr olds only have so much money. I think im just going to exchange my current set for the 51F59 because mines a defective one anyway.
post #28 of 4690

Congrats on your new HDTV. I have to wait until end of August to get mine.
post #29 of 4690

Matt can you take some pics of PGR3 if you have it for me?
post #30 of 4690
sure will bro. Let me go run out for a minute or 30 and i'll post em up
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Hitachi 57F59A