or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Blu Rays at BB. Just picked up mine!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu Rays at BB. Just picked up mine!!! - Page 2  

post #31 of 302
Have you noticed it is two months to the day since HD DVD players were first spotted at Best Buy?
post #32 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zuber
I dread the picture comparison stories that will be written. Both technologies will offer great PQ. There are so many variables that go into PQ, plus a subjective interpretation, that I have little interest in the comparison.

I'm interested in the more objectively measured parameters: price, movie selection, machine stability, machine speed, etc.
dont read, go see the difference .. if there is any :P do u not what want to know what the extra USD500 is spent upon? (other than paying outlets to give priority to BD ofcourse).
post #33 of 302
I hope there is more qty released to non mass market national retailers. If it's similar to hd dvd that would suck. I ordered one from a speciality store for about $850. I gotta give them a call...
post #34 of 302
Hey, phansson, you got your 15 minutes on engadget

Not only that, but there is a comment by a BB guy from the store you bought the player at:

Quote:
hmmm i have a feeling i werk at this store . . . lol as a guy came into our store tonight and bought one that we got in on our truck tonight . . . lol we checked our computer to see what its street date was since i told them that it wasnt out yet and the computer said no hard street date so yeah . . . we sold the freaking thing lol
so yeah i just read the forum that guy posted on and YEAH lol that was the guy that came into our store to buy it . . . we are suposed to get movies in this week . . . hope we do
Small world, huh?
post #35 of 302
Where did the pics go?
post #36 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likvid
Where did the pics go?
Since Engadget linked to this thread...... :eek:
post #37 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy
Since Engadget linked to this thread...... :eek:
What? this thread is fake stolen from Engadget?
post #38 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likvid
Where did the pics go?

Sorry, We Can't Display That Page
This member has exceeded their bandwith for the day. Please check back after 4 am EST to access this page

Hometown Community Guidelines
post #39 of 302
Here's a smaller shot courtesy of engadget via AVS via phansson ;)

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/0...-ray_early.jpg
post #40 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zuber
I dread the picture comparison stories that will be written. Both technologies will offer great PQ. There are so many variables that go into PQ, plus a subjective interpretation, that I have little interest in the comparison.
.
There will be plenty... notice that the OP mentioned a soft upconverted picture when playing SD... and he noticed mosquito noise around the titles as well.

So from an SD perspective, his unit does not play SD as well as Toshiba's HD-DVD unit.

-T
post #41 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone
There will be plenty... notice that the OP mentioned a soft upconverted picture when playing SD... and he noticed mosquito noise around the titles as well.

So from an SD perspective, his unit does not play SD as well as Toshiba's HD-DVD unit.

-T
This is a good point, but only one opinion. Since the Toshiba is so good at upconverting I could care less about this in the Samsung. I just want the HD movies to look great!
post #42 of 302
Output is 1080P60 and / or 1080P24?
post #43 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone
There will be plenty... notice that the OP mentioned a soft upconverted picture when playing SD... and he noticed mosquito noise around the titles as well.

So from an SD perspective, his unit does not play SD as well as Toshiba's HD-DVD unit.

-T
That's one disc from one player. Let's see what others have to report before drawing conclusions.
post #44 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson
First impressions of up conversion. I put in "layer cake" just because I watched it last night and thought I might be able to compare them (watched it last night on my HD DVD player). Up conversion looked a little soft to me. Seemed to have quite a bit of mosquito noise around titles. Could be the disc. I might have to check it out with the HD DVD again.
So is the Samsung's upconversion not as good as the Toshiba's?
post #45 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot
That's one disc from one player. Let's see what others have to report before drawing conclusions.

I would not draw conclusions from one disk either. At least I haven't heard any major issues or show-stoppers from both the first two posters. One seemed like a user error and the other was disk related. Nothing that points to problems with the Samsung so far. No audio drop outs or freezes during play. Also, BD PQ seems at par with HD DVD - isn't that what really matters in the end? SD upconversion (IMHO) is a nice to have....
post #46 of 302
This topic seemed none too impressed with the up conversion, while the other topic says the upconversion was as good, if not better, than the HD-DVD player. Yay for opinions. :)

Quite frankly, I'm surprised neither the HD-DVD players nor this Samsung haven't had even more problems considering all of these boxes are nothing more than Linux PCs for the most part.
post #47 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiresias
This topic seemed none too impressed with the up conversion, while the other topic says the upconversion was as good, if not better, than the HD-DVD player. Yay for opinions. :)

Quite frankly, I'm surprised neither the HD-DVD players nor this Samsung haven't had even more problems considering all of these boxes are nothing more than Linux PCs for the most part.
What would you rather, Windows pcs?
post #48 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by COVERkreator
I hope there is more qty released to non mass market national retailers. If it's similar to hd dvd that would suck. I ordered one from a speciality store for about $850. I gotta give them a call...
Samsung has already said availability would be tight ("thousands" have shipped), and their aim is to have at least 2 decks per (r)etail outlet, but with more outlets covered than Toshiba did out of the gate.

I'm sure CED will have more info for us by Monday. I'll post it. :)
post #49 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcast
What would you rather, Windows pcs?
No, I'm just contrasting to the more "mature" solutions for DVD players that tend to be more specialized embedded systems rather than PC hardware derivatives. Given the processing needed for these new formats I don't know how long it will take to get to the point where it's not just cheaper and easier to basically sell a PC as a player.
post #50 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by amillians
Samsung has already said availability would be tight ("thousands" have shipped), and their aim is to have at least 2 decks per (r)etail outlet, but with more outlets covered than Toshiba did out of the gate.

I'm sure CED will have more info for us by Monday. I'll post it. :)

Specifically...

Quote:
Samsung hopes to avoid the drought of product that Toshiba experienced with its HD DVD player launch back in April. "We'll be in more than 2000 storefronts at launch, and we will have multiple units available at each of these locations," says Sanduski. "Will we sell out? I hope so. We are launching with more storefronts and more quanitity than Toshiba."
I hope "multiple units" means more than two.....
post #51 of 302
Multiple units most definitely means more than one.

So come on, any more thoughts on the player and movies? I want reviews/thoughts! :cool:
post #52 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman
I would not draw conclusions from one disk either. At least I haven't heard any major issues or show-stoppers from both the first two posters. One seemed like a user error and the other was disk related. Nothing that points to problems with the Samsung so far. No audio drop outs or freezes during play. Also, BD PQ seems at par with HD DVD - isn't that what really matters in the end? SD upconversion (IMHO) is a nice to have....
i think you are being VERY kind/gentle here...two players out, one wouldn't start up the first time (user error? can't be much to pushing a power on button :))...the very first BD disk inserted in the very first BD player and it won't play, not at all, just got spit out?

anyhow, we can't draw conclusions until many more get theirs and weigh in with their experiences...this truly is a beta period, for now they will uncover issues that they just couldn't diagnose in their labs...hundres of different types of displays, connected with various different wiring configuration, different components/hdmi repeaters in the loop, etc.

that is why we are early adapters :) (i always thought that people were just mispelling that word but then after a few rounds of early adoption, i realized it was intention ;))
post #53 of 302
We need pics...i know this poster doesn't have any BD discs yet but I would like to see pics of the setup menus, etc. :)
post #54 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussTC3
Multiple units most definitely means more than one.

So come on, any more thoughts on the player and movies? I want reviews/thoughts! :cool:

My local CC is getting exactly one unit shipped to them!
post #55 of 302
Perhaps that is their demo unit. I'm sure they will get more units soon.
post #56 of 302
This thread was very informative, no pics nearly and no verdicts with different discs....

Come one now, we are waiting.
post #57 of 302
I suspect BB doesn't really have a pro-BR bias - they have a pro-profit bias, and whichever format makes the most money for them is where they will "lean." But BB is a mass-market merchandiser that will likely find their J6P customers hesitant to jump on a $1k device when a $500 device next to it does the same thing, and actually has movies to watch.
post #58 of 302
Thread Starter 
Sorry folks, just got to work.

Grubert, I am sure that some heads are rolling at best buy today. I guess I should have purchased both of them.

TheBland, 1080p is an option but I cannot get the player to output it. Could be one of two reasons. Maybe it will only output 1080p with a Blu Ray disc or maybe it will only output when you have a 1080p HDMI source hooked up. I don't know what kind of "handshake" the HDMI makes with the display. I am under the impression that there is information passed back and forth between the output device and the display via the HDMI port.

We will have to wait and see when I acquire at least one Blu Ray disc.
post #59 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison
Now's the time for some of that HD Porn :P
Careful what you wish for...
post #60 of 302
Quote:
So is the Samsung's upconversion not as good as the Toshiba's?
:rolleyes:

This is why AVS is so "newsgroupesque" at times. Let's all agree to raise the bar together.

He made a cursory look at *ONE* upconverted DVD title. Which it doesn't sound like he's watched upconverted on the Tosh player either.

Can we PLEASE avoid the usual AVS mentality of trying to draw "final conclusions" from observations that don't substantiate them?

Let's wait until someone can view the same *multiple* titles upconverted on the Toshiba and the Samsung before drawing any conclusions like this (the Tosh may be better, but we need to wait to find out).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Blu Rays at BB. Just picked up mine!!!