or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread - Page 306

post #9151 of 9409
I guess I'll just leave the BR output at 1080p.
I can't find any older posts whether or not the TV accepts 1080p or not.
I haven't tried any BR disks yet, hopefully tonight.
I also read on this forum of a user dropping the output for Netflix streaming to 720p and it looked better to him--his assumption was that the processor wasn't being overloaded trying to handle the streaming duties and upconverting at the same time.
We'll have to see.
I haven't started my Netflix account yet--looking for a 1 month trial instead of the standard 2 week one.
post #9152 of 9409
I have the 65731 and it accepts 1080P fine through HDMI or DVI.

Once you have the BR player wired to the tv you can tell what type of signal you are receiving when you switch the input over to the player.

There will be a graphic on the upper left of the screen indicating the input parameters that will last about 5 seconds. At least there is on mine.
post #9153 of 9409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_AZ View Post

I guess I'll just leave the BR output at 1080p.
I can't find any older posts whether or not the TV accepts 1080p or not.
I haven't tried any BR disks yet, hopefully tonight.
I also read on this forum of a user dropping the output for Netflix streaming to 720p and it looked better to him--his assumption was that the processor wasn't being overloaded trying to handle the streaming duties and upconverting at the same time.
We'll have to see.
I haven't started my Netflix account yet--looking for a 1 month trial instead of the standard 2 week one.

The TV IS a 1080P TV. That is its native resolution.

Just plug it in and see how it looks...
post #9154 of 9409
Has anyone ever tried installing LED or the like, back lighting with their DLP mitsu. For ambient effect.
post #9155 of 9409
Can anyone help with a strange issue I'm having? I am currently running my cable box and PS3 to my Yamaha receiver with HDMI cables and then from the receiver to my WD-73831 with HDMI as well.

I was troubleshooting an issue I was having so I connected another BD player to the TV with an HDMI cable but nothing will display on the TV. However, it does work if I use a non-HDMI input. I unplugged the HDMI running from the receiver and tried the BD player in both HDMI slots on the TV and still nothing. To me it seems as if the HDMI inputs are only working if they are running from the receiver. I'm thinking its a NetCommand config but I scoured the manual and can't figure out what it could be. Any help would be appreciated.
post #9156 of 9409
Quote:
Originally Posted by aheiser View Post

Too weird! I was just going to make a post on this. I'm connecting a Panasonic BD-60 and it too won't display on my 65831 with HDMI. The TV detects the connection, but the screen stays blue and won't show any signal. It will display if I use component and 1080i, but nothing on HDMI.

Anyone have any ideas?

Check and see if the output on the BD setting is set to HDMI
post #9157 of 9409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinit View Post

Can anyone help with a strange issue I'm having? I am currently running my cable box and PS3 to my Yamaha receiver with HDMI cables and then from the receiver to my WD-73831 with HDMI as well.

I was troubleshooting an issue I was having so I connected another BD player to the TV with an HDMI cable but nothing will display on the TV. However, it does work if I use a non-HDMI input. I unplugged the HDMI running from the receiver and tried the BD player in both HDMI slots on the TV and still nothing. To me it seems as if the HDMI inputs are only working if they are running from the receiver. I'm thinking its a NetCommand config but I scoured the manual and can't figure out what it could be. Any help would be appreciated.

Check and see if the output on the BD setting is set to HDMI
post #9158 of 9409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpped View Post

Check and see if the output on the BD setting is set to HDMI

It is. I moved it from another setup where it was using HDMI just fine. I also tried hooking up my cable box directly to the TV. When I bring up the NetCommand I see the HDMI port number is lit up so it is being recognized but when I select it as an input I just get the generic blue screen. Its like my TV has been locked in to only use HDMI connections through a receiver.
post #9159 of 9409
I dont know if its related. But I had the same type of issue with my Denon receiver and BD player. I posted numerous posts here and called Samsung (BD was one), contacted a AV installer and nothing fixed it.

We ended up concluding that it was most likely a handshake issue and I just run all of my HDMI directly into the TV and run optical audio through the receiver.
post #9160 of 9409
How to d o you disable the iris?
post #9161 of 9409
WD-57831. Recently, the picture on my Mits has been going black for about a second. It occurs every 10-20 seconds. The set doesn't power down, or make any noise and the picture is great otherwise. No lights on the unit flash. I just replaced the lamp bulb and it made no difference. I have had the temp sensor fixed in the past. Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #9162 of 9409
Quote:
Originally Posted by talterici View Post

WD-57831. Recently, the picture on my Mits has been going black for about a second. It occurs every 10-20 seconds. The set doesn't power down, or make any noise and the picture is great otherwise. No lights on the unit flash. I just replaced the lamp bulb and it made no difference. I have had the temp sensor fixed in the past. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You might want to try a PM to videobruce who frequents this topic. He seems very knowledgeable on this series of TV. Go a couple pages back and you'll see him.
post #9163 of 9409
talterici;
1. Any specific channel, or input?
2. HD, SD or both?
3. CATV, OTA or both?
4. Any time of day or after a specific amount of 'on' time?

BTW, welcome to the forums.
post #9164 of 9409
guess he doesnt need help anymore
post #9165 of 9409
Typical newbie. Posts onces then leaves. Probably forgot what/where the forum is.
post #9166 of 9409
Quote:
Originally Posted by michanecash View Post

Has anyone ever tried installing LED or the like, back lighting with their DLP mitsu. For ambient effect.

I have a dual incadescent bulb fixture mounted about 6" above the base of the TV, which is on the Misub. stand. I use a fixture I had that was made to mount over a piece of artwork. I just made it point up. It is made to accect two long type std base bulbs. I don't recall exactly but I think I started with two 15w bulbs an unscrewed one for less brightness. (personal taste). The fixture will also accept short round bulbs, so whatever you have around is fine.
post #9167 of 9409
I am ready to pull the trigger an a Monoprice cable order for :
- a 50' Mini-DVI to HDMI cl2, 24awg cable for video (≈$40)
- a 50' Toslink cable + a stereo mini plug to Toslink adapter (≈$12 total)
(both to goo into my Denon 1909 AVR)

It would be fun to surf the net on the 73". ) It would also be nice to stream the free Netflix movies available as 'Watch Now'.

Curious of what people are seeing as picture quality transferring to video to such a large screen. My seating position is 12' from screen.

Thanks, Dave
PS does jumping up from 22awg to 24awg increase the chace of the video signal making it for that distance? The reviews on both the Monoprice toslink and HDMI 50' cables are great (ie they work well)
post #9168 of 9409
I remember reading that the streamed movie were not all that great of picture quality. Any comments on streamed Netflix pic. quality would be appreciated too.
post #9169 of 9409
Quote:
Originally Posted by davekro View Post

I have a dual incadescent bulb fixture mounted about 6" above the base of the TV, which is on the Misub. stand. I use a fixture I had that was made to mount over a piece of artwork. I just made it point up. It is made to accect two long type std base bulbs. I don't recall exactly but I think I started with two 15w bulbs an unscrewed one for less brightness. (personal taste). The fixture will also accept short round bulbs, so whatever you have around is fine.

Are you happy with the effect?
post #9170 of 9409
Yes, after I dropped the wattage down, I am happy with the effect. I now am using a single 11 watt incandescent bulb. The 'art' light fixture is mounted directly against the wall. With the back of the DLP TV ≈6" from the wall and the front of the front of the screen 23" from the wall, all I really notice is an ≈3.5' deep strip of light across the white ceiling. My back wall is medium taupe/beige color, so I do not notice much reflection from the back wall. Mostly due to the light fixture shining up parallel to the wall. If your light fixture was away from the wall some and/or your back wall is white, you may notice more light on it.

I had the fixture already, but the nice thing is that it holds two bulbs, so you have more flexibilty on your light output range. But, I preferred lower light level. YMMV
post #9171 of 9409
Quote:


It would be fun to surf the net on the 73". ) It would also be nice to stream the free Netflix movies available as 'Watch Now'.

I would hate to think just how bad the image quality would be.
I have seen the size of these DVD movie downloads. At 1/2 or less the size of a standard DVD, the quality has to be terrible especially on a large screen size. Ok, for a Laptop, but that is about it.

Most of the recent DVD rentals I have seen on a 57" sitting 12' away are terrible.
post #9172 of 9409
Quote:
Originally Posted by davekro View Post

Yes, after I dropped the wattage down, I am happy with the effect. I now am using a single 11 watt incandescent bulb. The 'art' light fixture is mounted directly against the wall. With the back of the DLP TV ≈6" from the wall and the front of the front of the screen 23" from the wall, all I really notice is an ≈3.5' deep strip of light across the white ceiling. My back wall is medium taupe/beige color, so I do not notice much reflection from the back wall. Mostly due to the light fixture shining up parallel to the wall. If your light fixture was away from the wall some and/or your back wall is white, you may notice more light on it.

I had the fixture already, but the nice thing is that it holds two bulbs, so you have more flexibilty on your light output range. But, I preferred lower light level. YMMV

Thanks. I am going to try it. Any chance you have a picture of it?
post #9173 of 9409
Hope these pics help. The bulb is on the far side. the near side has no bulb. It takes regular full size incandescent base base bulbs. (smaller diameter glass part though)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
post #9174 of 9409
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I would hate to think just how bad the image quality would be.
I have seen the size of these DVD movie downloads. At 1/2 or less the size of a standard DVD, the quality has to be terrible especially on a large screen size. Ok, for a Laptop, but that is about it.

I kind of thought that might be the case. I was confused by folks on Monoprice saying they are getting good picture quality on their 50' HDMI cables from a computer. NO mention was made of HDTV screen size though. Maybe they were using <40" screens.

Quote:


Most of the recent DVD rentals I have seen on a 57" sitting 12' away are terrible.

Do you mean 'actual' DVD's played in the home theater, or streamed (non BD/HD) movies from a computer or other device from Netflix, or wherever?

I don't know how the computer's video card affects pic. quality. The TV is 1080P native of course. The 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo 2 iMac (late 2006) has an ATI Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 SDRAM. Does anyone know if the streaming device's specs makes any significant difference? Or is it just that the streamed content is compressed so much that mediocre at best is all that can be expected? Are some streamed movies good? some OK and some pretty bad? Not that I'd expect BD quality, but if it would at least be DVD quality (or close) that might be worth the hassle and $70 or so for wiring.

As far as surfing, what kind of clarity would i get on font, icon, etc.

Thanks,
Dave
post #9175 of 9409
Actual DVDs'. I wouldn't waste my time and the Internet's bandwidth trying to get a movie that way.
post #9176 of 9409
Quote:
Originally Posted by davekro View Post

Hope these pics help. The bulb is on the far side. the near side has no bulb. It takes regular full size incandescent base base bulbs. (smaller diameter glass part though)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Very simple. Thanks, I think I have just the thing in mind for mine. I appreciate you taking the time to share that.
post #9177 of 9409
Quote:
Originally Posted by davekro View Post

I kind of thought that might be the case. I was confused by folks on Monoprice saying they are getting good picture quality on their 50' HDMI cables from a computer. NO mention was made of HDTV screen size though. Maybe they were using <40" screens.


Do you mean 'actual' DVD's played in the home theater, or streamed (non BD/HD) movies from a computer or other device from Netflix, or wherever?

I don't know how the computer's video card affects pic. quality. The TV is 1080P native of course. The 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo 2 iMac (late 2006) has an ATI Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 SDRAM. Does anyone know if the streaming device's specs makes any significant difference? Or is it just that the streamed content is compressed so much that mediocre at best is all that can be expected? Are some streamed movies good? some OK and some pretty bad? Not that I'd expect BD quality, but if it would at least be DVD quality (or close) that might be worth the hassle and $70 or so for wiring.

As far as surfing, what kind of clarity would i get on font, icon, etc.

Thanks,
Dave

HDNATION says that NETFLIX streaming to a PC is SD. To get HD you need a TiVo or game box (PS3 or XBOX). I have a TiVo, but haven't streamed Netflix. HDNATION episodes stream well in HD though. As do my HD TiVo recordings backed up to my external drives off my PC. Of course, by streaming I mean streaming to my TiVo, not to my PC.
post #9178 of 9409
Quote:
Originally Posted by michanecash View Post

Very simple. Thanks, I think I have just the thing in mind for mine. I appreciate you taking the time to share that.

I'm just glad to be able to give (a small bit of) info back to this forum which has been a huge help to me.
post #9179 of 9409
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post

HDNATION says that NETFLIX streaming to a PC is SD.

Good to know all is SD, so not to have to much of an expectation. Seems from Bruce's comment, I'll likely pass on hooking my iMac to my 73" TV 30' away.
post #9180 of 9409
I never bothered 'obtaining' movies via the Internet. When I took a look at a friends Laptop and the size of those movie files, I saw why. They were less than 1.2 the size of a typical DVD. Around 2GB or less. There is no free ride. The size represents the additional compression (and other methods) to reduce the size of the file(s). Do that, and the quality drops.

No thanks, I'll rent movies from Netflex for $9 a month and get original quality.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread