or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Blu-ray Owners only! Thumbs up or thumbs down.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu-ray Owners only! Thumbs up or thumbs down. - Page 2  

post #31 of 196
Ouch on those results so far. Pitty support forthcoming?
post #32 of 196
Well, right now it is less about the player and more about the software (Blu-ray films). Once the software has been sorted out, then we will likely see different numbers than this. However, with the current problems associated to horrible encodes, it is very hard to recommend the Samsung, which in terms denotes the return of units already purchased by the vocal majority.

I would personally keep the Samsung, but I can't sync it with the HDMI out, so it is going back.
post #33 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEagle
I'm sticking with BD because of the potential for 8-layered discs and the possibility of storing movies with little or no compression.
Are you kidding? Thay can't even get 2-layer movies out the door. What are you going to play those 8-layer disks on?
post #34 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P
The thread is running 30% to keep the BD player. If you asked HD DVD owners to vote im sure it would drop even more.
Why would HD-DVD exclusive owners comment on a Poll asking about people keeping the Samsung BD-P1000? If you feel you need to include HD-DVD users in a poll, create another poll as the following: Which is the current superior video software platform: Blu-ray or HD-DVD?

Quote:
My problem with Army Eagle is that his comments were so crazy 'the potential for 8 layer discs?' They dont even have dual layer discs. Come on...
Instead of answering with the non-constructive "Are you crazy!" you could have explained why his ideal is not a possibility, like angelo913 (though I could have done without the sarcasm). We should be here to edjucate, not humiliate.
post #35 of 196
After doing a comparison tonight I'm wondering if I really would pay $750 for one of these, as I figured before. With my expectation of better encodings coming out I probably would, but now I'm not sure. No way would I trade it for the HD-A1, but if I get one of each I can choose from all content. But I'm not willing to pay $1000 or even $900 for this. I jokingly told somebody tonight that I wished you guys couldn't return your players for full refunds, because then I could get one cheap. I figured people would return it and wait for the Sony, but now that it is scheduled for over 4 months away I wonder how many people will actually return their Samsung players.

Now the timeline seems to be pushing me toward the PS3 (which I ordered early). Here is how I see it now:

Today: Samsung (not a very good player IMO, but the only BD player available)
September: Pioneer (some nice features, but doesn't support advanced audio code decoding or HDMI 1.3, so if disks move to DD TrueHD 5.1 in the future to save space, there will be no way to get it with that player)
October: Sony (based off Pioneer from what I've heard and might be good for the money)
November: PS3 (if it is going to ship on time then I don't see buying the standalone Sony just a month earlier for more money)

Maybe I'll see what some of these open box Samsungs are going for in about 28 days and then decide.

--Darin
post #36 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer
Why would HD-DVD exclusive owners comment on a Poll asking about people keeping the Samsung BD-P1000? If you feel you need to include HD-DVD users in a poll, create another poll as the following: Which is the current superior video software platform: Blu-ray or HD-DVD?



Instead of answering with the non-constructive "Are you crazy!" you could have explained why his ideal is not a possibility, like angelo913 (though I could have done without the sarcasm). We should be here to edjucate, not humiliate.
Lighten up it was a joke and my correct quote was 'Are you kidding me?" My point of this poll is that less than 30% of the owners of the BD player are keeping it.
post #37 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer
Well, right now it is less about the player and more about the software (Blu-ray films). Once the software has been sorted out, then we will likely see different numbers than this. However, with the current problems associated to horrible encodes, it is very hard to recommend the Samsung, which in terms denotes the return of units already purchased by the vocal majority.

I would personally keep the Samsung, but I can't sync it with the HDMI out, so it is going back.
I do agree that picture quality will improve over time, but how long are we supposed to wait? The format was rushed. It is not ready. Id prefer to save my money until it is ready. Enough of the empty promises. Just deliver.
post #38 of 196
It's already gone. It was a nice looking machine, but compared with my A1, the video hardly even looked high def.

Let's hope for a big improvement in PQ with either DL-50 or VC-1. If so, I'll reconsider another unit -- especially if dual format players become available.
post #39 of 196
It's sad to see that 70% of people giving the Samsung a thumbs down. I don't think it's the player as much as the content that is driving this. I for one would have kept my Samsung if even if some of the movies were decent. On my plasma (50 inch panny 8UK) almost all the titles except Terminator and Underworld were just plain bad. There is just something weird about what happens to the image when the camera pans and facial details are 'always' fuzzy. It's almost unbelievable. I thought TFE was the worst, until I saw House of Flying Daggers and then I thought, ok, this is the worst....until I saw Hitch!

This has to count as one of the greatest AV disappointments I can remember! The Samsung OTOH is pretty decent. It plays SD quite well and the player is responsive and generally glitch-free. I would have kept the player if not for the quality of the media. I guess I was blaming the player for faults in the media...
post #40 of 196
If the damn thing pillarboxed 4:3 video, I'd probably keep it. Can't stand watching 4:3 stretched out. Also, what's up with the rewind and ff buttons? I can't get them to work with a BD. Rew gives me the red stop symbol, ff goes into still step mode. Very annoying if I want to backtrack a few seconds to replay something.

Also, has anyone else noticed that you lose button/menu audio when DD5.1 is selected? It's there if you're using uncompressed PCM, though. Minor quibble for now, but what if PIP video commentary is also disabled when DD5.1 is selected? The reasons for Toshiba's "crazy" DTS transcode become clearer.
post #41 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P
I do agree that picture quality will improve over time, but how long are we supposed to wait? The format was rushed. It is not ready. Id prefer to save my money until it is ready. Enough of the empty promises. Just deliver.
Wait as long as you want. There is no statute of limitations. Personally, I am going to return the Samsung then get the PS3. Hopefully by then we will start to see properly mastered films. If not, well, I have another 5 years of waiting ahead of me (lifespan of the average console system).

And really, I can't answer how long we should wait, as it completely comes down to what you are willing to commit in terms of time and money. I want the best possible experience I can purchase within my means, therefore, the format which produces the superior experience, and with the cotent I want, is ultimately the format I support.
post #42 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer
Wait as long as you want. There is no statute of limitations. Personally, I am going to return the Samsung then get the PS3. Hopefully by then we will start to see properly mastered films. If not, well, I have another 5 years of waiting ahead of me (lifespan of the average console system).

And really, I can't answer how long we should wait, as it completely comes down to what you are willing to commit in terms of time and money. I want the best possible experience I can purchase within my means, therefore, the format which produces the superior experience, and with the cotent I want, is ultimately the format I support.
From your response I can gather two things:
1. You are obviously supporting HD DVD at this time
2. You still believe Sony's hype aka PS3.

Sony cant even release their standalone BD player. Now its due in late October. Is it a fair question to ask if they can deliver the PS3 on time? Or will they launch with such small quantities? Microsoft had enough issues and they werent including a next gen optical drive. Id be worried, but thats me.
post #43 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1
Also, what's up with the rewind and ff buttons? I can't get them to work with a BD. Rew gives me the red stop symbol, ff goes into still step mode. Very annoying if I want to backtrack a few seconds to replay something.
I have no problem using the rewind and fast forward features on the the BD-P1000. What I do find very annoying is how choppy and unresponsive they are.

Quote:
Also, has anyone else noticed that you lose button/menu audio when DD5.1 is selected? It's there if you're using uncompressed PCM, though. Minor quibble for now, but what if PIP video commentary is also disabled when DD5.1 is selected? The reasons for Toshiba's "crazy" DTS transcode become clearer.
I believe all of my menu sounds work over optical/coaxial when using DD 5.1. I will have to try it again tonight to verify.
post #44 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P
1. You are obviously supporting HD DVD at this time
Yes I am, because HD-DVD is the current format which produces the best experience at this time.

Quote:
2. You still believe Sony's hype aka PS3.
What hype am I believing in? That it will have Blu-ray support? That it will play games?

Quote:
Sony cant even release their standalone BD player. Now its due in late October. Is it a fair question to ask if they can deliver the PS3 on time?
It is a fair question to ask, but it is not a question that you or I can answer. We will both find out in November what happens.

Quote:
Microsoft had enough issues and they werent including a next gen optical drive. Id be worried, but thats me.
Microsoft's disadvantage with the Xbox360 is that they do not own any of the manufacturing plants. All of the work done on the Xbox360 was done by multiple contractors. Sony and IBM own many of the production plants. Most of the production will be internal, which should produce greater yeilds. Now, if this is an actuality or not is yet to be determined.
post #45 of 196
Neuromancer, it's because I'm an idiot and assumed the two buttons sandwiched between the chapter skip buttons were REW and FF when they were, in fact, still-step buttons. My bad. Maybe I should read the owner's manual before posting?
post #46 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer
Yes I am, because HD-DVD is the current format which produces the best experience at this time.



What hype am I believing in? That it will have Blu-ray support? That it will play games?

Microsoft's disadvantage with the Xbox360 is that they do not own any of the manufacturing plants. All of the work done on the Xbox360 was done by multiple contractors. Sony and IBM own many of the production plants. Most of the production will be internal, which should produce greater yeilds. Now, if this is an actuality or not is yet to be determined.
I support HD DVD at this time as well, because it just so happens to prduce the picture quality that I desire.

1. PS3. The only thing it has going for it is BD. Otherwise it will be similar to Xbox 360 at $200 more.
2. There is more than just plants. Its making sure that all components are readily available. Is HDMI 1.3 confirmed yet? They cant build the machines if the specs arent finalized. Do they have the optical drives? This means that there will be small quanitities available at launch.
3. Sony cant even take the time effort or both to produce 4-5 BD titles that look HD quality for the most important product introduction ever this side of PS3.

When Sony speaks I listen, generally get a good laugh with the hype, and remain skeptical.
post #47 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1
Neuromancer, it's because I'm an idiot and assumed the two buttons sandwiched between the chapter skip buttons were REW and FF when they were, in fact, still-step buttons. My bad. Maybe I should read the owner's manual before posting?
No problem at all. The remote control is badly designed in my opinion. I always hit the Stop button thinking I am hitting Play, or press the Skip Back or Skip Forward buttons when trying to Rewind or Fast Forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P
1. PS3. The only thing it has going for it is BD. Otherwise it will be similar to Xbox 360 at $200 more.
This is something that is straw man argument. On a purely hardware level, the Xbox360 is the better solution. But on a gaming level, I am finding more of my favorite games/developers are supporting the PS3. Much like last generation, MS created superior hardware, but did not have the software. This is what seperates paper trolls from true gamers: a gamer chooses his alegiance based off of the games, not the hardware.
Quote:
2. There is more than just plants. Its making sure that all components are readily available. Is HDMI 1.3 confirmed yet? They cant build the machines if the specs arent finalized. Do they have the optical drives? This means that there will be small quanitities available at launch.
Last I heard the PS3 was not HDMI 1.3. It was 1.1 enabled. Can't comment on the manufacturing of the optics. All consoles have had shortages, it is what makes scalping such a fun business.

Quote:
3. Sony cant even take the time effort or both to produce 4-5 BD titles that look HD quality for the most important product introduction ever this side of PS3.
I can view each entity of Sony on its own. Just because their Sony Viao line is crap, does not mean I think the Sony SXRDs are as well. Each part of Sony is a seperate cell. So, just because Sony Pictures Home Entertainment screwed the pooch, the rest of Sony has as well? Skepticism is good, unless it makes you completely blind.
post #48 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEagle
I'm pleased with mine. The only issues I have so far is that one can't step backwards frame by frame on BD discs. And one can only change output resolutions through the menus and not with a button on the remote. The player does a great job upconverting the King Kong DVD. PQ looks almost as good as the Underworld: Evolution BD.

I'm sticking with BD because of the potential for 8-layered discs and the possibility of storing movies with little or no compression.
The BR Standard for VIDEO limits disks to 2 layer only... (assuming they will ever get those out ;) ), so 50GB it is, which would be plenty anyway...
By the way, there are some voices cautioning that Samsung may not even play DL disks, but I don't think there is any substance to those, hopefully,

Kris
post #49 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer
Why would HD-DVD exclusive owners comment on a Poll asking about people keeping the Samsung BD-P1000? If you feel you need to include HD-DVD users in a poll, create another poll as the following: Which is the current superior video software platform: Blu-ray or HD-DVD?



Instead of answering with the non-constructive "Are you crazy!" you could have explained why his ideal is not a possibility, like angelo913 (though I could have done without the sarcasm). We should be here to edjucate, not humiliate.
Its funny You quoted the one person in thise thread that actually owned a Sammy for a couple of days, and whether you feel he is HD-DVD, he is exactly the type of person this poll is asking for information from.
post #50 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer
No problem at all. The remote control is badly designed in my opinion. I always hit the Stop button thinking I am hitting Play, or press the Skip Back or Skip Forward buttons when trying to Rewind or Fast Forward.



This is something that is straw man argument. On a purely hardware level, the Xbox360 is the better solution. But on a gaming level, I am finding more of my favorite games/developers are supporting the PS3. Much like last generation, MS created superior hardware, but did not have the software. This is what seperates paper trolls from true gamers: a gamer chooses his alegiance based off of the games, not the hardware.


Last I heard the PS3 was not HDMI 1.3. It was 1.1 enabled. Can't comment on the manufacturing of the optics. All consoles have had shortages, it is what makes scalping such a fun business.



I can view each entity of Sony on its own. Just because their Sony Viao line is crap, does not mean I think the Sony SXRDs are as well. Each part of Sony is a seperate cell. So, just because Sony Pictures Home Entertainment screwed the pooch, the rest of Sony has as well? Skepticism is good, unless it makes you completely blind.
Some good points. I like the 360 because the games I play are on there plus it has 'the best online service'.

I guess we will have to wait and see if Sony delivers.
post #51 of 196
The Samsung won't sync via HDMI with the H78DC3 so it went back to BB.
post #52 of 196
Mine is going back as well.

The only thing I like better about the Samsung BluRay player over my RCA HD DVD player is the load/boot time. And that is something I am growing to live with on my RCA unit.

Might try it again down the road...but for now...cannot and will not even attempt to justify paying so much for it. And I love spending money :)
post #53 of 196
The poll now reads that 75% are going back. I would have thought the BD fans would have been more inclined to keep them even after the reports have come out. I think this is truly a telling poll about the first BD player and movies.

I just do not believe anything Sony says anymore. I think they will not get BD50 out the door this year, but even if they do, I wonder how reliable those discs would be. I think if HD-DVD didn't exist and everyone sided with BD (even Toshiba) it would be 2 more years until it actually got released. IMO

I am not posting this to inflame anyone, but just stating what I feel after seeing the poll numbers and peoples comments.
post #54 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5
The poll now reads that 75% are going back. I would have thought the BD fans would have been more inclined to keep them even after the reports have come out. I think this is truly a telling poll about the first BD player and movies.
If you look at most of the posts, people are complaining about the video quality and incompatability issues far more than anything else in relation to the hardware. If the video was more solid, like I siad previously and has been echoed by many users, this poll would have different results.

Many people forgave the shortcomings of the Toshiba HD-A1 because the visual and audible benefits were worth the annoyances. With Blu-ray titles the way they are, there are no such leniencies.
post #55 of 196
"Microsoft's disadvantage with the Xbox360 is that they do not own any of the manufacturing plants. All of the work done on the Xbox360 was done by multiple contractors. Sony and IBM own many of the production plants. Most of the production will be internal, which should produce greater yeilds. Now, if this is an actuality or not is yet to be determined."

The Xbox 360 shortages had nothing to do with Microsoft not having their own fabs (and less so about yeild problems, which have nothing to do with the manufactoring plants). It was due to the shortage of Samsung DDR3 memory chips. Last time I checked Sony doesn't, and never has, produce/fab memory. In fact as far as memory is concerned, if anything, Sony is in much worse shape as they are using two different types of memory chips. Lets hope there are no yeild problems with the Cell, both DDR and XBR memory types, or the GPU. Not to mention BD players needed.
post #56 of 196
IBM had major yeild and quality control issues with the 3 core system of the Xbox 360, MS had to wait for the DVD drives from Thompsons and Samsung because they were slow on the delivery, and Samsung slowed them down more because of their DDR3 shortages.

Most of the fabs which are working on the PS3 were either set up by Sony, or were a joint venture (IBM, Matsushita, Samsung, so forth). This should translate to tighter control of vialble parts, but we will see what happens.
post #57 of 196
As of now 25% thumbs (26) up and 75% (78) thumbs down.

HD-A1 was somewhere at 90% thumbsup and 10% down by way of comparison.
post #58 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman
It's sad to see that 70% of people giving the Samsung a thumbs down. I don't think it's the player as much as the content that is driving this. I for one would have kept my Samsung if even if some of the movies were decent. On my plasma (50 inch panny 8UK) almost all the titles except Terminator and Underworld were just plain bad. There is just something weird about what happens to the image when the camera pans and facial details are 'always' fuzzy. It's almost unbelievable. I thought TFE was the worst, until I saw House of Flying Daggers and then I thought, ok, this is the worst....until I saw Hitch!

This has to count as one of the greatest AV disappointments I can remember! The Samsung OTOH is pretty decent. It plays SD quite well and the player is responsive and generally glitch-free. I would have kept the player if not for the quality of the media. I guess I was blaming the player for faults in the media...
Yea ,it is a shame perhaps the player at that price would have been easily justified if there had been some good titles with killer PQ and sound but not to be.

I still don't get it. They may have been better to wait ... check that . they should have waited.

Art
post #59 of 196
I bought A-! loved it PQ few quirks. Wanted Blu also to get better selection of movies now interested in war. I like the Sammy but PQ is quite inferior to HD. I am afraid to keep it with all the delays Sonny and Pioneer have as I feel it is a software problem and I have no reassurance The sammy will work with better encoding on software. I have a couple weeks if Samsung makes a open commitment to reassure us early adopters I will keep it, I just smell a skunk some where.
post #60 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj
As of now 25% thumbs (26) up and 75% (78) thumbs down.

HD-A1 was somewhere at 90% thumbsup and 10% down by way of comparison.
True but HD DVD has some great looking discs, BD does not. Why keep the Samsung if all the discs are crap? ;)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Blu-ray Owners only! Thumbs up or thumbs down.