Attached the ScanBatch.bat for the MediaChanger GUI i came up with to batch-transfer Data discs using the highly recommandable BeyondCompare utility.
It transfers each disc selected in the MC/GUI's "Full Slots" pick-list to a new folder in the target path named after the actual disc's Label.
I picked BC because:
- It can be used from the DOS CommandLine
- It has very simple yet powerful scripting capabilities on top of this
- It can log much of what it does, including Errors
- It can reset the read-only attribute as well as clone the original disc folders' Timestamps that are normally lost when copying with most utilities (in this script just the 1st level folder timestamps, which is enough for my needs but that can be easely expanded)
- It has a powerful binary compare feature to guaranty data integrity is preserved with transfer (not leveraged here, but quite easy to add in the BC script if you are ok to roughly double batch duration)
Also, due to the recurring misalignement issues i've had while transferring the first 200 discs, i added an additional simplified log file to easely check what slots/discs transferred alright in a given Scanbatch session and then retry these that failed for some reason. Likewise, it will automatically skip transferring a disc when a folder with the disc's volume name already exists in the target folder.
There's some more in the ScanBatch.bat starting comments, including the variables to adjust to your particular setup, target folder... i'll leave up to those interested by the scripts set to check.
As a reminder, i've chosen to work with the Changer's top cover off because with misalignement can come a whole host of possible mishaps like disc being unmounted to the adjacent slot where a disc is already present, thus the disc ending up hitting the top elements of the Changer when the carrousel is spinning. No actual harm to CDs so far but certainly not safe to leave the unit batch-running completely unattended when it happens (i got to love the "Stop scanning" button of the MC GUI for that :-).
The other reason being that i loaded the 200 first discs with the regular "Load" feature so that the Changer's internal DB reckons the corresponding slot as "full". Yet for the next batches i didnt "Unload" these discs but rather manually removed them and replaced them with the next batch (i don't care in which order they are transferred so i'm fine with any slot for each disc).
PS to MediaDogg: not sure this isnt a known issue but last disc 199 isn't included in the ScanBatch. One the symptoms is that when you pick just 199 in the "Full slots" list and trigger Scanbatching nothing happens and GUI says "Processed 0, Picked 0" (where's the link to the your support bugtool again ?:-)
[EDIT] MediaDogg was kind enough to fix it since in his latest GUI version
MediaChangerGUI_ScanBatch_BeyondCompare_v0.02.zip 3.0341796875k . file