or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › HD72 and Panny 900 side-by-side
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD72 and Panny 900 side-by-side - Page 3  

post #61 of 97
From my seating position, with my H31 mounted above me about 3 feet above my head, if I see a sparklie its usually just a 1/2" movement of my head to make it go away....maybe I got lucky, or maybe I'm at that perfect seating height...I'm not sure, but its hardly something I'd give up the screen for.

I tell people as they watch the movie "if you see a bright spot, just move your head or shift your body in the seat and it'll go away" and nobody ever has a problem.

Remember one thing: Some people are natural complainers, some people have legitimately BADLY made screens, and some folks can just tolerate more issues than others can.

For my $200, I doubt I could find a better screen. I wouldn't spend money on an ELITE, if I was going to drop more than $200 or so I'd go right to one of the well-respected names like DaLite or Carada or whatever. No way I'd risk $500+ on a brand-x screen.
post #62 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprro1
post a comparison between the two when you get a chance. I've got a 4805 and D1, but am interested in something 720, as the 4805 dosn't look really good unless I'm 2.5 times screen width.
I got the 900 and only have 2 hours watching, all HD Red Sox. Here is what I can say so far. I am sitting at 1.5 times screen width, 80'', No screen door at all. This thing is way, way quiter than the 4805. I can not say enough about the setup versitility, i had it mounted and a perfect image up in 10 minutes.

Overall better all around than the 4805. My bigest concern was black levels but so far they are not noticably different from the 4805.
post #63 of 97
cool, good to know. I was worried that an lcd might be worse as far as black level and contrast.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack. If you feel like posting another comparison thread with some dvd watching that would be cool. I know a couple people thinking about something dif. than a 4805. For me, I think dlp in general is a little funky with my eyes. LCD seems smother.
post #64 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchayer
I got the 900 and only have 2 hours watching, all HD Red Sox. Here is what I can say so far. I am sitting at 1.5 times screen width, 80'', No screen door at all. This thing is way, way quiter than the 4805. I can not say enough about the setup versitility, i had it mounted and a perfect image up in 10 minutes.

Overall better all around than the 4805. My bigest concern was black levels but so far they are not noticably different from the 4805.
I can second that, made the exact same upgrade to a 900 from the 4805, and agree, quieter, you can even look from 1x and still no SDE, still crystal clear, and SOOOOO easy to setup. You really can't go wrong with the 900. It rocks!!!
post #65 of 97
Thread Starter 
Comparing the ae900 to my H30, I would say that black level is very similar. Contrast, however, is much better on the ae900. The black stays black while the brights get much brighter. I am projecting at 87" diagonal sitting about 8 or 9' back- not a hint of screendoor.

This projector is an INCREDIBLE value.
post #66 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya
very nice post, i wish every reviewer would write a real conclusion like you instead of some useless mumbo jumbo that make both projector equally good and conclude by saying it depends on the user preference bla bla...

Although i think ae900 is great value, the best value to me is still the in72. We need a comparison between ae900 vs in72. That's another $700 difference and it seems the in72 can hold its own even in hd.
Amen to this and just a little plug i made a thread asking for comments on these two projectors
post #67 of 97
Maybe I missed it, but was there anyone that preferred the HD72 over the AE900U? If so, what wa the determining factor?

From the very first post, I'm also confused as to why the AE900U was preferred. Most points made seemed to be in favor of the HD72, except for a few ties. With that said I don't see how one could come to a conclusion that the AE900U image was preferred. Care to explain how you tallied this?

I'm looking to upgrade from my SHARP PGM20x and am definitely looking between these two projectors. Here are the link for them on projector central:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD72.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...-PT-AE900U.htm

I noticed that the HD72 is listed as being able to do 1080p(scaled of course) and the AE900 is not. Yet the maximum resolution (scaled) of the ae900 us is more? Can someone explain these statements?

Is there any other PJ that I should possibly be looking at this price point that I may be missing?

Lastly, can someone hit on the LCD vs DLP concerning these two projectors one more time please?

Thanks!
post #68 of 97
Just to add more to the mix: The Mits HC3000U performs better than the HD72 in contrast/blacks/shadows/dithering (and accurate colors after calibration)...according to just about every comparison review.

It's a bit more $$ than that HD72, especially since it probably doesn't have a rebate going for it.

Fleaman
post #69 of 97
Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie and haven't ever owned a projector. I've been doing a lot of research and reading forums. I've narrowed my selection down to three projectors based on my budget. Those are the Optoma HD72, Panny AE900, and the Epson PowerLite Cinema 550. I'm leaning more toward the HD72 and with the $300 off until July 31 I feel like it might be the best projector if all projectors happened to be the same exact price. Maybe I'm wrong. If so, please correct me.

What I'm mostly needing from the experts (again, I'm green as a ghord) is what will work with my layout. My HT room is 23 ft long, 26.5 ft wide, and my ceilings are right at 12 ft high. The room has 3 windows overall but the abient light shouldn't be too bad based on where the sun rises and sets. I will also be able to mount the projector anywhere from 9 ft to 23 ft. I plan to have a painted screen with either Goo Systems or DIY Theater. Haven't decided and trying to determine the option. My screen size will be 100" in the horizontal with at 16:9 ratio.

I keep seeing where people say the Optoma HD72 won't fit their room layout. What is so peculiar about the requirement for the HD72. Based on what I said would the HD72 work okay for me? Again, my intent is not to start a flame war between which is best. The AE900 does look good. My primary desire will be for watching sports (college football) and watching movies next in priority. I also really like the two digital inputs (DVI and HDMI) that comes with the HD72.

Thank you for your feedback and letting me know if "all systems go" with the HD72.

What's your focus? -- FocusedFreedom
post #70 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusedFreedom
Hi all,
I keep seeing where people say the Optoma HD72 won't fit their room layout. What is so peculiar about the requirement for the HD72. Based on what I said would the HD72 work okay for me? Again, my intent is not to start a flame war between which is best.
The problem with most DLP projectors is that they by-and-large:
1) Lack a Lens-Shift option
2) Generally have a rather high image offset angle

Since you have 12' ceilings, neither of those will be an issue for you if you plan on ceiling mounting.

Quote:
The AE900 does look good. My primary desire will be for watching sports (college football) and watching movies next in priority. I also really like the two digital inputs (DVI and HDMI) that comes with the HD72.
Are you prepared to watch your sports in the dark, or in a very dim environment?
120" Diagonal is pushing it for most low-end consumer projectors, combined with the fact that sports are first and movies second, leads me to believe you'll want to watch with the lights on. These aren't the kind of projectors you see in sports bars, they don't throw out that kind of light to be able to overcome a lit environment. You'll wind up with a washed out image......which will take all the fun out of the HD resolution you'll be enjoying.

Just something to be mindful of.....

All IMHO: Prepare to have others agree and disagree from this point on :)
post #71 of 97
I might add that since the AE900 is a little cheaper it makes it harder NOT to choose it.

The best I've found is:

AE900 - $1749 plus $400 rebate and $300 blockbuster card

HD72 - $1899 plus $300 rebate. (once I saw additional free lamp plus the rebate but can't find that anymore.)

-- FocusedFreedom
post #72 of 97
All 3 are great projectors. The Panny will allow you to bookshelf mount at the rear of your room ( assuming the 23' long side is the way you'll be shooting ), which can be helpful when you have 12 ceilings. Although the Epson has lens shift, it's zoom doesn't have as much range as the 900, so you'd still have to ceiling mount it.

The main problem people have with the HD72 is the steep offset, which doesn't work well with under 8' ceilings. In your case, it's an advantage. You would have to drop it about 3.5 feet from the ceiling though. You could get the Epson up a little higher, but not much. You'd probably still have to drop it 3 feet.

The Optoma and Epson are brighter.

Jonathan
post #73 of 97
Thanks HeadRusch,

That's a good point. I wouldn't be totally dark for ball games. What would be your recommended size for a screen instead of pushing it to the max (100" is what I have between the two windows.)

For my room layout that might be too big of a screen (100" horizontal) anyway. Again, I'm a newbie. I hope it's not too big and then we would all have to sit on the back wall 23 ft away. :)

Again, thanks.

What's your focus? -- FocusedFreedom
post #74 of 97
Thanks Jonathan,

Do they make ceiling mounts that would let me drop it 3 to 3.5 ft? That would put the projector at about 9 ft.

-- FocusedFreedom
post #75 of 97
Yes, I believe you can get extensions so you can drop the projector that far.

If you're going with 900, you might consider bookshelf mounting though. If you get a retro-reflective screen ( instead of the DIY route ) like the Dalite HiPower, you will get the added benefit of about 3.0 gain in the main viewing cone if the projector is bookshelf mounted as close as possible to eye level. The Optoma GreywolfII is also retro-reflective, but with much less gain ( measured recently at about 1.4 vs 3.2 measured from the HiPower ). Retro-reflective screens also help with ambient light.

Jonathan
post #76 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Steagall
Maybe I missed it, but was there anyone that preferred the HD72 over the AE900U? If so, what wa the determining factor?

From the very first post, I'm also confused as to why the AE900U was preferred. Most points made seemed to be in favor of the HD72, except for a few ties. With that said I don't see how one could come to a conclusion that the AE900U image was preferred. Care to explain how you tallied this?

I'm looking to upgrade from my SHARP PGM20x and am definitely looking between these two projectors. Here are the link for them on projector central:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD72.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...-PT-AE900U.htm

I noticed that the HD72 is listed as being able to do 1080p(scaled of course) and the AE900 is not. Yet the maximum resolution (scaled) of the ae900 us is more? Can someone explain these statements?

Is there any other PJ that I should possibly be looking at this price point that I may be missing?

Lastly, can someone hit on the LCD vs DLP concerning these two projectors one more time please?

Thanks!
Anyone care to touch on these questions/issues?
post #77 of 97
I would really love to shelf mount but from what I read I didn't think I could do that with the Panny 900 from 22' to 23' and get a 100" horizontal picture (my maximum.) I was also concerned that the brightness might not be good enough (or as good as the HD72 ceiling mounted around 14') for that long of a throw.

Does anyone have good recommendations for a ceiling mount for the Optoma HD72? I don't need the top of the line, just a good one.

Thanks.

-- FocusedFreedom
post #78 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Steagall
Maybe I missed it, but was there anyone that preferred the HD72 over the AE900U? If so, what wa the determining factor?

From the very first post, I'm also confused as to why the AE900U was preferred. Most points made seemed to be in favor of the HD72, except for a few ties. With that said I don't see how one could come to a conclusion that the AE900U image was preferred. Care to explain how you tallied this?

I'm looking to upgrade from my SHARP PGM20x and am definitely looking between these two projectors. Here are the link for them on projector central:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD72.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...-PT-AE900U.htm

I noticed that the HD72 is listed as being able to do 1080p(scaled of course) and the AE900 is not. Yet the maximum resolution (scaled) of the ae900 us is more? Can someone explain these statements?

Is there any other PJ that I should possibly be looking at this price point that I may be missing?

Lastly, can someone hit on the LCD vs DLP concerning these two projectors one more time please?

Thanks!
Good questions, Ryan- I will give my two cents!

There are several who prefer the HD72 over the AE900. The HD72 is capable of darker blacks and it is a brighter projector. However, the HD72 needs some calibration to get it looking as good as the Panny IMO.

I preferred the AE900 image for several reasons which may or may not apply to you:

1. The projector is extremely well calibrated out of the box- the grayscale is very close to 6500k, and that is important to me. All of ym displays at home are calibrated and honestly, I would not go out of my way to get the Panny calibrated. If I get a chance, great- but I don't see any need to spend $500 bucks for calibration when it looks this good. With the HD72, I definitely would have needed it calibrated. He's Gandalf the Grey, not Galdalf the Blue!

2. The picture is extremely smooth and- I think- very filmlike. People argue that DLP is more filmlike. I have not found that to be the case. That USED to be the case- and I have no doubt that if you move up the quality ladder of DLP it will pull much further ahead than LCD- but at this price range, the Panny is a great competitor and puts up a fantastic image. When I watch certain DVDs, I often get fooled into thinking I'm watching film. It's not all the time- but sometimes- that never happened with my Optoma H30. The H30 is still a great projector, but the AE900 beats it. Plus it's flexibility and features make it even MORE of a bargain.

Now, were the HD72 properly calibrated it may have been a better contest as far as side-by-side goes. But all of this figures into the decision to buy: Do I have to get it calibrated? Will it work with my setup? Honestly, as I have said many times in this thread, these projectors are both terrific. Sight unseen, you will be hapy with either. I would have been happy with either, but I happened to prefer the AE900 for aforementioned reasons and it works best in my setup. And I got a GREAT price.

Thar ye be!
post #79 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJNielson
Good questions, Ryan- I will give my two cents!

There are several who prefer the HD72 over the AE900. The HD72 is capable of darker blacks and it is a brighter projector. However, the HD72 needs some calibration to get it looking as good as the Panny IMO.

I preferred the AE900 image for several reasons which may or may not apply to you:

1. The projector is extremely well calibrated out of the box- the grayscale is very close to 6500k, and that is important to me. All of ym displays at home are calibrated and honestly, I would not go out of my way to get the Panny calibrated. If I get a chance, great- but I don't see any need to spend $500 bucks for calibration when it looks this good. With the HD72, I definitely would have needed it calibrated. He's Gandalf the Grey, not Galdalf the Blue!

2. The picture is extremely smooth and- I think- very filmlike. People argue that DLP is more filmlike. I have not found that to be the case. That USED to be the case- and I have no doubt that if you move up the quality ladder of DLP it will pull much further ahead than LCD- but at this price range, the Panny is a great competitor and puts up a fantastic image. When I watch certain DVDs, I often get fooled into thinking I'm watching film. It's not all the time- but sometimes- that never happened with my Optoma H30. The H30 is still a great projector, but the AE900 beats it. Plus it's flexibility and features make it even MORE of a bargain.

Now, were the HD72 properly calibrated it may have been a better contest as far as side-by-side goes. But all of this figures into the decision to buy: Do I have to get it calibrated? Will it work with my setup? Honestly, as I have said many times in this thread, these projectors are both terrific. Sight unseen, you will be hapy with either. I would have been happy with either, but I happened to prefer the AE900 for aforementioned reasons and it works best in my setup. And I got a GREAT price.

Thar ye be!
What about the Infocus IN76. It comes calibrated out of the box. It can be had, with careful shopping, for only a little more than the AE900.
post #80 of 97
For my use, I'll more than likely always be using an HTPC to push the content. I already have a DVI-I cable too. I'm kind of torn. I've never had a LCD projector. From my very first 2x speed IN170 to the sharp pgm20x I have now.... DLP has been great for me. So... you can see my delima. I'm obviously leaning toward the HD72 for my setup. =\\

When you say calibrated... are you talking about professional calibration or are you talking about just running through one of those discs like avia?

Thanks,
Ryan
post #81 of 97
Thread Starter 
I am talking about pro calibration- full-blown greyscale/gamma/blah blah blah.

I totally understand your dilemma about DLP. I was in the same boat. It wasn't until I saw the Panny that I was willing to pull the trigger.

About the IN76- I haven't seen it in a price bracket near the Panny. So far it seems the Infocus is about $400 more than the HD72 and $500 more than the Panny.
post #82 of 97
I had the ae900...good picture. Then the HD72 arrived...or should I say, the $300 rebate arrived which made it more competitive with the panny. I'm going to pull the trigger on the 72...I think...tonight. What sold me was the review on Projectorreviews.com...they put both the panny and the 72 in their "best picture" modes...and side by side the 72 looked MUCH brighter...the panny looked dull by comparison. I'd like to watch football in the afternoons with some light control, but not complete darkness, so the brighter image of the 72 is really appealing. I honestly couldn't believe the difference because the 900 was a good deal brighter (to me) than my H31. If you read the review on projectorreviews.com then the debate isn't even close between the two...just looking at the pics posted, the HD72 blows the 900 away...ok, maybe not "blows it away" but it looks to be a big difference. The real debate to me would be between the HD72 and the Mitsubishi HC3000...though the 72 again would win based on value. JMHO The 900 was a big step up from my h31 though.
post #83 of 97
How much more does the 72 weigh than the H31, anyone care to hazard a guess without looking at the spec sheets? Comparable? or is the 72 much heavier....??
post #84 of 97
I ordered the HD72 yesterday. It may be in today. Anyone know what screws fit the bottom of the unit? I'll have to modify or make another mount for it to match up with my DIY ceiling mount.

Any setup suggestions or tips I can be studying on until I get the unit?

Thanks,
Ryan
post #85 of 97
Well, I pulled the trigger. Based on a lot of research and much of it from avsforum he is what I have ordered. I'm hoping this newbie can get a good home theater.

- Optoma HD72 for $1830 w/ free shipping. Also got a free lamp ($399 value) and the $300 rebate. Almost like getting it for $1130. Should be here Thursday.
- Chief universal mounting kit. Will have to get extension rods at Home Depot or Lowes. I hope they have them. Mounting kit is shipping with projector.
- Onkyo TX-SR503 (refurb) from shoponkyo.com for $189 w/ free shipping. Seems to have received great reviews.
- Sony DVD Player (DVP-NS75H) which upconverts to 1080i and supposedly has great sound. $114 plus tax w/ free shipping or pickup.
- MCM Custom Audio built-in wall speakers (front and surround). MCM center speaker and sub too.
- Painting my own screen (96 " horizontal) with Screen Goo, Digital Grey Lite
- Process of upgrading to Knology HD with DVR.

I'm planning to go ahead and run component video, DVI-D, and HDMI cables from the front of the room up through the wall and ceiling to the HD72. Planning on using HDMI for the DVD and DVI for the set top box (I'm still trying to find out what Knology's HD set top box has as outputs.) I'm planning on mounting the projector about 13' from the wall. Should the projector be pointed exactly horizontally to the wall or can I angle it down to the wall some? I have a ceiling fan that I have to be below so that answer will tell me how far I really have to drop the HD72.

So I should be busy this weekend. I'm very interested to hear from the experts how I've already started off on the wrong foot. :) Will keep everyone posted about my experience.

Thanks.

-- FF
post #86 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusedFreedom
Well, I pulled the trigger. Based on a lot of research and much of it from avsforum he is what I have ordered. I'm hoping this newbie can get a good home theater.

- Optoma HD72 for $1830 w/ free shipping. Also got a free lamp ($399 value) and the $300 rebate. Almost like getting it for $1130. Should be here Thursday.
- Chief universal mounting kit. Will have to get extension rods at Home Depot or Lowes. I hope they have them. Mounting kit is shipping with projector.
- Onkyo TX-SR503 (refurb) from shoponkyo.com for $189 w/ free shipping. Seems to have received great reviews.
- Sony DVD Player (DVP-NS75H) which upconverts to 1080i and supposedly has great sound. $114 plus tax w/ free shipping or pickup.
- MCM Custom Audio built-in wall speakers (front and surround). MCM center speaker and sub too.
- Painting my own screen (96 " horizontal) with Screen Goo, Digital Grey Lite
- Process of upgrading to Knology HD with DVR.

I'm planning to go ahead and run component video, DVI-D, and HDMI cables from the front of the room up through the wall and ceiling to the HD72. Planning on using HDMI for the DVD and DVI for the set top box (I'm still trying to find out what Knology's HD set top box has as outputs.) I'm planning on mounting the projector about 13' from the wall. Should the projector be pointed exactly horizontally to the wall or can I angle it down to the wall some? I have a ceiling fan that I have to be below so that answer will tell me how far I really have to drop the HD72.

So I should be busy this weekend. I'm very interested to hear from the experts how I've already started off on the wrong foot. :) Will keep everyone posted about my experience.

Thanks.

-- FF
Just wondering where you purchased your pj with both the rebate and the free bulb?

Thanks.
post #87 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbaba
Just wondering where you purchased your pj with both the rebate and the free bulb?

Thanks.
Same question here... please PM me with the info if you don't want to post it! :)



I've been contemplating going with the new 50" Vizio plasma for my BR, but the deal you're describing is almost too good for me to pass up! The only thing that stinks is I'm limited to a 56" width where the screen needs to be placed, but this might not be too bad as the viewing distance (our bed) is only 9' from the screen.


BTW, FF... sounds like you should have a kickazz HT!!! :cool:
post #88 of 97
Thanks Wet1. I can't wait till it's up a going.

I bought mine from projectorpoint.com. I just happened to find it. I actually called and ordered it. Talked to a really good salesman, Derek who was very informative. I just checked their website and supposedly they still have the free lamps "limited supply" and the rebate is good until August 31.

Please ask Derek to send me something free. :) Although I have absolutely no ties to him or the company (I'm in Alabama) if he gets lots of orders he surely could help a newbie out. He should find me, the Hester from Madison, AL.

Good luck on going the HD72 route.

Due to only have 25' for cable (HDMI, DVI, and component) I think I'm going to have to mount the projector at 12' from the wall. This will only give me 91" width and I was shooting for 100", my maximum. Someone please tell me to stop whining and that 91" will be more than big enough for my room. :)

I got the extra outlet put in the ceiling tonight. I received the HD72 today as well as my Goo. Also picked up the Sony DVD player from CC. Tomorrow I hope to get the HD72 mounted and am awaiting my video cables to run all of them. Last thing will be to Goo my walls. Will keep everyone posted.

Focus, focus, focus.

-- FocusedFreedom
post #89 of 97
I've been following threads like this closely for some time and hope to make a purchase in the next few months. I have a few questions that I don't have answered yet, and could use some help from the knowledgeable folks on the forum.

Is there a consensus about watching at 720p vs. 1080i?
What yields superior PQ in front projection?
Should I be concerned with this for eventually piping the PJ an OTA HD or HD-DVD signal?

It seems like most discussions are centered around setup flexibility and working with a particular setup. True?

Does that mean that we are really splitting hairs on PQ with the current generation of semi-budget projectors?

I'm really looking for an interim solution (until 1080p is settled into a second generation and prices have come down ~ 3 years?), so I need to keep it under $2K ($1500 would be much better), but I am also all about the bang-for-the-buck value.

Keeping in mind that I will probably wait until prices change following CEDIA, here are the usual suspects that I've considered. I'm hoping to narrow it down with the help of y'all...

HD72
IN76
HC3000U
AE900
Z4

Any others that I should include?

Could any of these be eliminated right away?

Please consider:

- Totally light-controlled, darkly-painted room
- 95% movies
- ceiling-mounted (on 8' ceiling) at ~13' from screen
- 92" screen (to be purchased after the PJ) - please feel free to comment on what mates well with these projectors
- very interested in deep blacks, no muddy whites, no sparkles, etc.
- not really interested in a $500 calibration

I really have been doing my homework, so I'm not coming here with the "what one should I get question", but for a more big-picture view on how these would stack up for my application.

Also, I'm still confused on the whole offset issue. All I know is that I'd like the adjustability to get the bottom of the image about 30" from the floor while flush-mounting it to the ceiling. <sigh> Still a lot to learn...

Thank you in advance -
Brian
post #90 of 97
Brian

the hd72 and hc3000 have large offsets and probably wont work well for you. that leaves the 2 lcd's with their lens shift and the in76. i would go with the in76 (deeper blacks, better true contrast without dynamic iris), it comes from infocus pretty well calibrated so you don't need the calibration. just make sure you don't see rainbows.

muncey
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › HD72 and Panny 900 side-by-side