or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › plasma connection question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

plasma connection question  

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I have a panny th-50phd8uk and multiple devices that use componant wires. i dont have a blade for this thing so i only have one input. i think its a rgb with componant thingies on it i got it from VA.

is there such a thing as a device that would let me hook up say, 3 or four sets of componant cables to it so i wouldnt have to go and switch cables around in the back of this thing when i want to switch from dvd player to xbox to sat etc :confused:

thanks
post #2 of 20
Thread Starter 
seems like a reasonable question. anyone have an idea??
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRC
I have a panny th-50phd8uk and multiple devices that use componant wires. i dont have a blade for this thing so i only have one input. i think its a rgb with componant thingies on it i got it from VA.

is there such a thing as a device that would let me hook up say, 3 or four sets of componant cables to it so i wouldnt have to go and switch cables around in the back of this thing when i want to switch from dvd player to xbox to sat etc :confused:

thanks


Take a look at this component switcher it will work.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/zehdcoviswre.html
post #4 of 20
You might consider a reciever/amp that includes component switching. Many are available under $300 these days.
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
wow 300 bones!! geeez, i guess ill have to stick with being a cable jockey :(
post #6 of 20
you can get manual component switches for pretty cheap. i got mine from target on clearance for $5 and it has 4 component inputs.
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgnome
you can get manual component switches for pretty cheap. i got mine from target on clearance for $5 and it has 4 component inputs.
awesome. do you have a picture, link, or part name i can search for? would this sit behind the tv or can it go in a media cabinet? and how hard is it to switch? thanx alot
post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 
ok connections are so difficult for me so im stuck once again :o

i have a panny th-50phd8uk and wanted to get a nintendo messiah if it would hook up to my plasma.

thats the thing i cant figure out if it will connect to my plasma. the game console has composite inputs and i dont know if it will plug into my plasma. i have the manual out now and i see the component/rgb part that i use now. then theres another part that says L audio, R audio, s video in, video in, and video out (slot 2)

would it plug into there, or is that something else? why are these things so difficult i dont know. thanks for any help/
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
i need to know if this will plug into this

also need to know if theres a switcher thats relatively inexpensive for componant cables all i can find is s video.
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
hi
post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
6 months ago all any1 could talk about is the th-50phd8uk. now all i need to know is what kinda inputs this tv has, and a simple compatability question and nobody on earth knows what im tlaking about. and the manual doesnt even say. interesting.
post #12 of 20
Quote:
thats the thing i cant figure out if it will connect to my plasma. the game console has composite inputs and i dont know if it will plug into my plasma. i have the manual out now and i see the component/rgb part that i use now. then theres another part that says L audio, R audio, s video in, video in, and video out (slot 2)
You'll need to get a RCA to BNC connector to plug into the back of TV at the video in connection,and then plug the yellow wire from the messiah into that.
post #13 of 20
I'm having a problem. With two (2) slots available for the HDMI blade (posistion 1 and 2),
with the TH-50PHD8UK, I am not able to get any responce from the second blade. This is an attempt to operate a STB and the OPPO DVDP direct, without video going through the receiver, using the receiver for audio only. The 8UK is supposed switch input and does but I'm getting a "no input" response from the #2 slot. Any ideas?
post #14 of 20
JCR- Maybe it's because it is in you owners manual...You have 1 s-video/composite shared connection, 1 BNC-component, 1 VGA-PC, and 2 spaces to add different blades (DVI,HDMI,Component,s-video) VGA can be transformed into component with an adaptor, soyou get 2 compoments. If you need more, add blades or get a switchbox. S-vdeo/composite shared means that if you use one type of connection you loose the other. This is not a cheap hobby you choose, so yes stuff is expensive. And this board is on a voluntary basis, so if no one anwsers your post, well, don't get all worked up....

Fatwhitstyle- You need to reset (unplug) or check you wires also look at the your settings for that input you may have to play with the settings for it to come in. It did that with my Oppo and evrything came back ok
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholerabob
JCR- Maybe it's because it is in you owners manual...You have 1 s-video/composite shared connection, 1 BNC-component, 1 VGA-PC, and 2 spaces to add different blades (DVI,HDMI,Component,s-video) VGA can be transformed into component with an adaptor, soyou get 2 compoments. If you need more, add blades or get a switchbox. S-vdeo/composite shared means that if you use one type of connection you loose the other. This is not a cheap hobby you choose, so yes stuff is expensive. And this board is on a voluntary basis, so if no one anwsers your post, well, don't get all worked up....

Fatwhitstyle- You need to reset (unplug) or check you wires also look at the your settings for that input you may have to play with the settings for it to come in. It did that with my Oppo and evrything came back ok
so do i have composite or not? would i be able to plug this composite thing in the tv?
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRC
so do i have composite or not? would i be able to plug this composite thing in the tv?
YES.

Your set should have come with two pre-installed, removable blades:

- One has L/R audio inputs with both composite AND S-video inputs (but you can't use the two different video connectors at the same time)
- The other has L/R audio inputs with Component video inputs

There is also a fixed VGA input that you can use as a second Component video input if you have the right VGA-to-Component adaptor cable.

Note that both the Composite and Component video inputs use "BNC" style connectors, so you have to use these very cheap little RCA-to-BNC adapters to connect your regular RCA-style cables to them.

All of this info can be found in Bruzzi's excellent Pansconic Plasma FAQ, which is a sticky thread at the top of the forum list.

You can jump straight to the video connections section here: http://www.bruzzi.ws/plasma-faq/showthread.php?t=26
post #17 of 20
Best Buy sells this

Psyclone Source Selector

Fry's/Outpost also sells it, seen it once for under $100 when it was on sale.

Think it has 4 component/s-video/composite in and one out. Dunno if it can convert like compoent -> s-video, I doubt it. The price is good, it's very nice looking, and has a handy remote.

Some reviews mention some of the input ports not being clear, but I have no first-hand experiece. There might be some reviews of it in the xbox or PS2 section.
post #18 of 20
I suggest you first do a little googling to learn the difference between composite, svideo, component, dvi, hdmi & VGA - as well as the difference between BNC & RCA connectors. [EDIT]

What's this about?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...72#post7942672
post #19 of 20
if you make a post, help him with the question, otherwise...don't post.

That's what AVS is for, no matter how basic the question.
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRC
awesome. do you have a picture, link, or part name i can search for? would this sit behind the tv or can it go in a media cabinet? and how hard is it to switch? thanx alot
since it was on clearance, you may have a hard time finding it. it was a GE 4way Audio/Video switch box. i haven't really seen it on sale since i picked one up a couple months ago. there is some vague info over at amazon about it. it is manual and passive, so you will need to press the button for the input source you want.

you can find your little BNC>RCA adapters at monoprice.com:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

personally, i would avoid the NES clones. there are definitely problems with picture quality, compatibility, and audio on those NES-on-a-chip solutions. if you couldn't get an original NES with a composite cable, i would go with emulation. there are NES emulators for several systems available including pc, psx/ps2, and xbox. it would be fairly simple, for example, to get a throw-away pc from a thrift shop/curb side/dumpster/etc., hook it up to the VGA input on your plasma, and run a NES emulator with high resolution filtering that will look way better than anything you would get through composite.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › plasma connection question