Moved from the Pioneer EP 510 thread as it was OT.
As discussed there, I had problems with my 530HD RPTV. Based on symptoms:
it was suggested a convergence amp failure. Thanks to Mr Bob and various threads here on AVS forum (see pinned RPTV repair thread) it appeared my failure was in the red vertical convergence channel, and this problem is very common. Some threads suggest also resistor and maybe cap failures are possible too, at least in some brands. With encouragement from members here I decided to dig in. In worst case I could buy a Sony LCD replacement.
First up was to remove the lower back access panel
The power supply card containing the convergence circuitry is in the middle. There were around 8 ribbon connectors running to cards left and right of the PS card. Also some other connectors. Then there are about a dozen screws holding down the card. There are also some connectors on the "back" of the card (when viewed from behind the set) that aren't very accessible due to the CRT neck/card right above the large heat sink for the conv amps.
There is a panel behind the speaker grill on the lower front of the set. I pulled the screws but it wouldn't budge. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be removable or not. But a couple taps from the inside and it started loosening, so I was confident to give a couple more taps and then pull off from the front. It is located on wood dowels, one on each side and was just stuck at first. Once I got that panel off it was a breeze to get at that end of the PS card, and I would have saved about half my time had I got that off first.
With the panel off you can see the Sanyo STK amps vertically mounted on the HS. Note that on the front right side of the card (looking from the front of the set) there are three identical connectors (RGB) so you need to label the connectors when you remove them.
With everything off and a little juggling the PS card came out the back. There is a small daughter card mounted on the PS card and this has the digital convergence data in EPROMs. I guess the idea is that if you need to replace the PS card you should retain that daughter card. While that card is socketed it also is soldered in as well. Not sure why Pioneer did that, maybe they were getting loose?
The amps are 18 pin single row in line and desoldered from the back. I decided to break down and get a proper de-solder iron from RS which made it easy to remove the amps. The amps are held to the HS with 2 screws. Once off there is some old thermal grease which I removed.
I did a visual of the card and didn't see any evidence of bad parts, and elected not to try to check the resistors etc, just replace the amps and try it. As recommended I sourced the amps from MCM electronics. Got them in about 4 days (I'm in Hawaii). I see those Sanyo parts are discontinued (STK392-180 and many others) so I don't know how long repair is going to be possible.
I used some HS grease from RS (didn't go for the better stuff like AS5 ) applied like I would on a CPU or GPU. No problem soldering the new amps in.
Reassembly was pretty fast (since I knew what I had to do). While in there I tried to blow out as much dust as I could.
I fired it up and just went into the user convergence multi-point adjustment. I considered going into factory mode but my results seemed pretty good so for now I'm not going to.
I took off the AR screen and I want to check the mirror and lenses and clean them up some. Meanwhile I have about 10 hours since the fix and all is well.
Thanks again for all the help on this forum.