Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast
DON'T INITIALIZE MAGIC FOCUS. EVER!
All it will do is hose the results you just painstakingly saved to rom. The lesson here is to do the convergence one small step at a time, saving as you go, each time getting closer to perfect.
And NEVER use magic focus.
below is directly from the service manual, see number 11. If number 11 is NOT done at the completion of a manual service convergence, Magic focus will malfuction with a "static mode" error.
2.12.5 Convergence point adjustment
(1) Select color to adjust.
INFO - Green
0 - Red
ANT - Blue
(2) Use 4, 6, 2, and 5 to move the cursor position
(3) Use thumb stick to move the convergence point.
(4) Three adjustment modes are available:
1. (3x3) Press INFO 5 times (only works
when DCU is in uncorrected state)
2. (7x5) Press 0 5 times
3. (13x9) Press ANT 5 times
For touch-up, only the (13x9) mode is necessary.
This will adjust every cross-hatch intersection point
on the screen.
For complete adjustment, start with (3x3) mode. This
will adjust center point and eight edge points only,
but will greatly reduce adjustment time. Then use
(7x5) mode, and finally (13x9) mode to finish
If S distortion appears between cross-hatch
lines repeat (7x5) mode to change calculation
process while adjusting to remove distortion,
then return to (13x9) mode to finish touch-up
(1) Receive any NTSC signal.
(2) Start adjustment at the center of the screen.
(3) Continue adjustment at next closest position.
(4) Adjust center area first, ending with edge sections.
(5) Press INFO button to perform calculation operation.
This process will take about 1 second and no picture
will be seen at this time.
(6) After interpolation, check convergence again and
repeat (1)-(5) if necessary.
(7) When convergence is acceptable, press PIP MODE
to write data to ROM memory. ROM WRITE? is
displayed to alarm system that ROM will be
overwritten with new data. Press the PIP MODE
button again to write displayed data to ROM.
(8) DATA WRITE TO ROM will take approximately 4
seconds and no picture will be displayed.
(9) Green dots will be displayed when operation is
(10) Press MUTE to return to convergence pattern, then
confirm again convergence is acceptable.(11) Press PIP MODE (ROM WRITE) mode, then press
PIP CH to initialize sensor data positions.
Notes: (1) Display only green for easier adjustment and
match to jig screen. Press MENU, THEN
(2) Perform interpolation and data write to ROM
after green adjustment. Once green has been
confirmed to match jig screen, the jig screen can
be removed. Do not readjust the green color
after jig screen has been removed. This is now
your reference color.
(3) Display green and red only and match red to
(4) Display all colors and match blue to green and
red. Touch-up red color if necessary.
(5) Existing DATA in ROM can be read by pressing
the SWAP button 2 times. This data can be used
after replacing a component (CRT, DY, etc.)
Where complete convergence adjustment is not
necessary, be careful not to overwrite this data.
DO NOT write cleared RAM data into ROM or a
complete convergence adjustment will be
necessary. Remember to try MAGIC FOCUS
before starting convergence adjustment to
minimize adjustment time.
(6) To confirm and fine tune the convergence at the
edge of the screen, press the PIP CH button on
the remote control while in the digital
convergence adjustment mode (DCAM) for
additional lines at the edge of the screen. Fine
tune the edge convergence as necessary. To
exit, press PIP CH again.