or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Don't dump your CRT RPTV!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 10

post #271 of 12296
Hi,
I'm currently on the fence about upgrading from my CRT RPTV, but leaning towards keeping it and having it ISF calibrated. I'm hoping that if I were to keep it and buy a DVD player that will upconvert to 1080i over component video (either out of the box or with a hack), that it would help curb my urge to upgrade. I'm unsure of how much of a difference I would see though. My TV is a Pioneer Elite Pro620HD, and I'm using a Panasonic XP-30 DVD player that has great 480p output. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Would the difference be that noticeable on this TV?

Assuming I would see a significant difference, does anyone have a recommendation on a DVD player that will upconvert over component? I know there are a lot of threads about that in the DVD forum, and I've been reading through most of them. I can't seem to find what apparently would be the magic combination: Faroudja DCDI chip, component output, and pillar boxes 4:3 material (since most older TVs including mine lock to full 16x9 mode when it gets a 1080i signal). I could live without the Faroudja chip, but the consensus seems to be that video quality is poor in most of the players without it.

Thanks for any info/opinions.
-Mighty
post #272 of 12296
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Gibbs View Post

Thanks for the link, looks like I have lots of reading and learning to do.

I have the contrast set around 50 so at least I got that part right.


Here's another one on Hitachis:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...47#post8133747

It has 50 pages.



Mr Bob
post #273 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Ferguson View Post

Hi,
I'm currently on the fence about upgrading from my CRT RPTV, but leaning towards keeping it and having it ISF calibrated. I'm hoping that if I were to keep it and buy a DVD player that will upconvert to 1080i over component video (either out of the box or with a hack), that it would help curb my urge to upgrade. I'm unsure of how much of a difference I would see though. My TV is a Pioneer Elite Pro620HD, and I'm using a Panasonic XP-30 DVD player that has great 480p output. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Would the difference be that noticeable on this TV?

Assuming I would see a significant difference, does anyone have a recommendation on a DVD player that will upconvert over component? I know there are a lot of threads about that in the DVD forum, and I've been reading through most of them. I can't seem to find what apparently would be the magic combination: Faroudja DCDI chip, component output, and pillar boxes 4:3 material (since most older TVs including mine lock to full 16x9 mode when it gets a 1080i signal). I could live without the Faroudja chip, but the consensus seems to be that video quality is poor in most of the players without it.

Thanks for any info/opinions.
-Mighty


Pretty sure the oppo dvd players do all of that.
post #274 of 12296
The Oppo 970 will upconvert non-copyrighted DVDs over component.
post #275 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

The Oppo 970 will upconvert non-copyrighted DVDs over component.

Yeah, I suppose I should have been more specific in my original post. I'm obviously looking for one that will upconvert ALL DVDs, not just non-copyrighted. Thanks for that clarification DavidHir.

I have a feeling there's no player out there that will cover all the features. I hope I'm wrong though.

-Mighty
post #276 of 12296
What a great thread. I couldn't agree more, my Apple IIGS looks great on my Hitachi 51UWX20B. I wish there was some way to put video on vinyl, that would truely yield the best true analog video performance.

I can't wait for my 4 year old 51" tube to die so I can replace it with a 55" plasma.
post #277 of 12296
I have a Sharp 64LHP4000 CRT RPTV (64") that is a little over 7 years old. It has never been cleaned and never calibrated. Still has a wonderful picture that we think rivals the picture quality of most of the new TVs we have previewed, including the new Samsung 50" plasma we recently purchased for the bedroom. We probably don't even know what we are missing, but we don't see anyting wrong with it. My only big issue with it, and for me this is huge, is that I am unable to connect my G5 Mac Computer to it and display pictures and my iTunes music interface, something I have wanted to do for the last 2 years. I even resorted to going over to the dark side and tried an HP media center PC with component outputs but even that thing would not sync with my TV. Frankly, I am fed up with the lack of pc connectivity of the CRT RPTVs. If anyone knows of any good ones out there (new or used) that provide true plug and play connectivity with a Mac G5 and projects a quality computer generated image, I would consider replacing my beloved Sharp with another CRT RPTV. Otherwise mine is going to be replaced by a DLP or Lcos RPTV before this comming thanksgiving. And if anyone is interested in my Sharp, please let me know!
post #278 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Ferguson View Post

Yeah, I suppose I should have been more specific in my original post. I'm obviously looking for one that will upconvert ALL DVDs, not just non-copyrighted. Thanks for that clarification DavidHir.

I have a feeling there's no player out there that will cover all the features. I hope I'm wrong though.

-Mighty

Yes, it against the "rules" to upconvert DVDs over component.
post #279 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Ferguson View Post

Yeah, I suppose I should have been more specific in my original post. I'm obviously looking for one that will upconvert ALL DVDs, not just non-copyrighted. Thanks for that clarification DavidHir.

I have a feeling there's no player out there that will cover all the features. I hope I'm wrong though.

-Mighty

I use the LG 511 to upconvert via Componet. Just need to hack it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4&page=7&pp=30

You may still be able to find it got it at BB and its seens heavy use since its purchase. I must say I lucked out.
post #280 of 12296
There are a few players that do this without problem, such as the momitsu etc. You can also use all manners of video processors to do this, as well as computers, wichout problem.
post #281 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

710's are DEFINITELY worth calibrating, it's not even at its halflife yet. There is an entire thread here in this section dedicated to repairs the x10 series commonly need. .....................................................
Technicians? Never expect a repair tech to know anything about calibrations. Often they just make things worse. I and a just a small, select handful of other guys are the only ones I know who do both field repair and fullscale/fullservice calibrations on CRT based bigscreens. We are a rare breed indeed.

Same for ISF techs. Don't expect 99% of the ISF graduates listed on the ISF website to know anything about the image structure ops critical to CRT based bigscreens, either RPTV or FPTV. ...............................
Qualified? I'm sure you can find info somewhere, but if you want to stay with the tried and true, fly me in. I fly out of OAK.


Mr Bob

Mr. Bob: Thanks for that information. I suspect you are right as far as ISF qualified people in my area who really know what they are doing. Unfortunately as much as I would like you to calibrate my TV, flying you over here and feeding you, not to mention your fees, would be cost prohibitive
post #282 of 12296
Mr Bob


I have a Panny 47x54 RPTV do i need to calibrate all inputs sepertaly( HDMI, Component) or can 1 calibration be good for all inputs?
post #283 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

I use the LG 511 to upconvert via Componet. Just need to hack it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4&page=7&pp=30

You may still be able to find it got it at BB and its seens heavy use since its purchase. I must say I lucked out.

Wytchone,
I scanned through the thread you linked to, and it appears that the LG 511 stretches 4:3 material rather than pillar boxes it. Can you confirm that? If so, that's a problem for me as my TV locks into full mode with a 1080i signal.
Thanks,
-Mighty
post #284 of 12296
You can set the LG player for 4:3 or 16x9. Also my set allows me to change between 4:3 and 16x9 as needed. Yes it does fill up the entire screen but I would not call it stretching per se.
There is a zoom mode which I never use, I tried that once and that did stretch the picture to much for me.

Hope that helps.
post #285 of 12296
Just an update as I expressed some displeasure with my decision to buy a RPTV.

I'm actually happy with my PQ now on my Hitachi RPTV so add me to the happy owners list. After a few days and some adjusting the picture has improved greatly and I doubt I could get a set with such good PQ and size for the price any other way. Going to pick up an XBOX 360 later in month to add to it.

The only problem I'm having is a slight bend or warp in the bottom right hand corner that's semi distracting but I'd imagine fixable.
post #286 of 12296
Coach Gibbs: That's not something you'd normally see on a set fresh from the factory, and you shouldn't have to put up with it. I'd recommed you get the set exchanged while you're still within your 30 day period. The consensus is that these F59 models are generally well-built; chances are your replacement will have no geometry problems.

And yes, with proper video settings, a few easy service menu tweaks, and the 117pt convergence, you will get a picture quality that truly does surpass the other rear projection technologies, and without having to put up with the dreaded "Silk Screen Effect".

There is no better bang for your dollar out there. I was also dubious about CRT rear projection; my local Circuit City had a noisy feed going to their 51F59 display unit, with visible static and horizontal line noise all over the place. Meanwhile their other sets, miraculously, were all getting clean signals via component or HDMI. I had to bring my laptop and a DVI-to-HDMI cable to the store in order to get some idea of what the set was actually capable of. Man, if they had their store unit looking as nice as the one sitting in my living room, they'd have a hard time selling anything else!
post #287 of 12296
yea i have a mitsubishi 52 inch rear projection .a 1999 model.strong tv,great picture quality.but seeing as how new dvd formats are coming out and channels to be brodcasted in hi-def within 2-4 years seems like i'll have to upgrade soon
post #288 of 12296
lol tyson wetzel same here man....my tv wont die yet.i wanna get an hd so bad.but hey i cant complain with what i got at the moment
post #289 of 12296
I work at sears, and we have the Hitachi 51F59 on display, and ours looks like crap. Getting fed HD through coax cable, (nothing I can do about that). Is their anything I can do to improve the PQ? Right now the Magnavox CRT RPTV next to it, (the 51") looks better since its on component getting the same feed. I sadly cannot connect the Hitachi to anything but coax, so what can I do?
post #290 of 12296
Since it seems to lack a HD tuner from the specs, can't see how it's being fed an HD signal. One cable (RCA plugs) would be composite video (analog NTSC), or the same if it's an F-connector RF coax to a NTSC tuner from a signal-distribution system.

A new HD DVD player (see forum here) would be best, playing a HD DVD demo disc if that's a legal requirement for public showings. Or an upconverting SD DVD player putting out 1080i (from 480i) with a demo disc would help; a 480p mode output might look better in some cases. Or, if it's legal, setting up any HD tuner near the set with a small UHF antenna (like the book-size indoor Silver Sensor) might bring in strong local HD signals. Also, assuming limited time, quickly check the convergence mode to ensure the CRTs aren't grossly off (color fringing), and set the brightness/contrast so any images look fairly 'normal': not too dark or bright. -- John
post #291 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaxter View Post

Coach Gibbs: That's not something you'd normally see on a set fresh from the factory, and you shouldn't have to put up with it. I'd recommed you get the set exchanged while you're still within your 30 day period. The consensus is that these F59 models are generally well-built; chances are your replacement will have no geometry problems.

And yes, with proper video settings, a few easy service menu tweaks, and the 117pt convergence, you will get a picture quality that truly does surpass the other rear projection technologies, and without having to put up with the dreaded "Silk Screen Effect".

There is no better bang for your dollar out there. I was also dubious about CRT rear projection; my local Circuit City had a noisy feed going to their 51F59 display unit, with visible static and horizontal line noise all over the place. Meanwhile their other sets, miraculously, were all getting clean signals via component or HDMI. I had to bring my laptop and a DVI-to-HDMI cable to the store in order to get some idea of what the set was actually capable of. Man, if they had their store unit looking as nice as the one sitting in my living room, they'd have a hard time selling anything else!

I called CC and they are going to bring/exchange this set on the 18th. Going to take a while but at least I have a set in the meantime. Thanks for the advice.

Is there a site or writeup(book or anything) that explains how to use the 117 point convergence anywhere? I'm a total noob as far as tweaking goes and I don't understand it a bit.
post #292 of 12296
RTFM

Just kidding but seriously it's in the manul and is real easy to do. It's basically just a big grid that fills your screen and you use the cursor keys on the remote to ensure the blue and red lines are hidden behind the white lines. The goal being to end up with a grid of pure white lines with no red peeking out and as little blue halo as possible. Note that you can't completely hide the blue lines because they're always a little more diffused than the red and green. There will be a faint blue halo around the white grid lines no matter what, but you want to ensure it's uniform, not uneven.

IMO the automatic & 9-point convergence modes are worthless; the only one worth doing is the 117pt manual convergence. Or if you're feeling adventurous you can go into service menu and do the DCAM convergence. But that's for another discussion; I wouldn't worry about that just now.
post #293 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Since it seems to lack a HD tuner from the specs, can't see how it's being fed an HD signal. One cable (RCA plugs) would be composite video (analog NTSC), or the same if it's an F-connector RF coax to a NTSC tuner from a signal-distribution system.

The F59 series tuners do receive HDTV signals just fine OTA. There is just no QAM support. I receive 1080i, 480i and 720p signals just fine.
post #294 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaxter View Post

RTFM

Just kidding but seriously it's in the manul and is real easy to do. It's basically just a big grid that fills your screen and you use the cursor keys on the remote to ensure the blue and red lines are hidden behind the white lines. The goal being to end up with a grid of pure white lines with no red peeking out and as little blue halo as possible. Note that you can't completely hide the blue lines because they're always a little more diffused than the red and green. There will be a faint blue halo around the white grid lines no matter what, but you want to ensure it's uniform, not uneven.

IMO the automatic & 9-point convergence modes are worthless; the only one worth doing is the 117pt manual convergence. Or if you're feeling adventurous you can go into service menu and do the DCAM convergence. But that's for another discussion; I wouldn't worry about that just now.

I had read it in the manual but what I didn't understand was the goal I guess. Now I got it
post #295 of 12296
Hi all. I've lurked on this site for some time, but this is my 1st post. I have a Zenith 56" HD RPTV that I really like. I've had it for quite a few years now & I love the PQ on it. But now I have a problem. This past weekend I noticed 3 small inch-and-a-half long streaks in the left-center of the screen, 1 red, 1 green, & 1 blue. Does anyone know what this could be? Thanks in advance.
post #296 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaxter View Post

.

There is no better bang for your dollar out there. I was also dubious about CRT rear projection; my local Circuit City had a noisy feed going to their 51F59 display unit, with visible static and horizontal line noise all over the place. Meanwhile their other sets, miraculously, were all getting clean signals via component or HDMI.

What better way to sell them $3000 plus rear projection technologies
post #297 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bailey View Post

The F59 series tuners do receive HDTV signals just fine OTA. There is just no QAM support. I receive 1080i, 480i and 720p signals just fine.

Thanks for the correction. My first Googled spec/review was too vague; a second spec listing made this clear. -- John
post #298 of 12296
Questions for you all if you don't mind . . .

I had no intention of dumping my faithful Mitsubishi 65" TW65X81 that I have owned since 2000. However, I just suffered a lightning strike, and afterwards all the guns were way out of whack. I was able to get the picture back to a decent level using the convergence feature in the menu, but it doesn't look like it is quite right, especially on dvd (it never was much to look at on directv SD anyway). The strike also knocked out the set of component inputs that I was using, but I can use the second set.

So . . . is this tv worth the money for a professional calibration? And can I even find someone to do it, given that I live in a very rural area in the mountains of Western Virginia?

If I have to dump it, what to replace it with? A front DLP projector? LCD rear projector? I would like to go front projector if I can get away with it to increase screen size, as my seating is 18 feet from the screen. The room is pretty much a dedicated theater room used mainly for movies and not "background" tv, but I do have three windows with curtains and there would be some day time viewing.

Thanks in advance for the advice . . .
post #299 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpartyshack View Post

Questions for you all if you don't mind . . .

I had no intention of dumping my faithful Mitsubishi 65" TW65X81 that I have owned since 2000. However, I just suffered a lightning strike, and afterwards all the guns were way out of whack. I was able to get the picture back to a decent level using the convergence feature in the menu, but it doesn't look like it is quite right, especially on dvd (it never was much to look at on directv SD anyway). The strike also knocked out the set of component inputs that I was using, but I can use the second set.

So . . . is this tv worth the money for a professional calibration? And can I even find someone to do it, given that I live in a very rural area in the mountains of Western Virginia?

If I have to dump it, what to replace it with? A front DLP projector? LCD rear projector? I would like to go front projector if I can get away with it to increase screen size, as my seating is 18 feet from the screen. The room is pretty much a dedicated theater room used mainly for movies and not "background" tv, but I do have three windows with curtains and there would be some day time viewing.

Thanks in advance for the advice . . .

Do you have a surge protector? I still always make sure to keep my display turned off during a T-storm just in case.
post #300 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpartyshack View Post

So . . . is this tv worth the money for a professional calibration? And can I even find someone to do it, given that I live in a very rural area in the mountains of Western Virginia?

I don't have an opinion on whether or not a random sample of your TV is worth calibrating.

I do think your particular TV is not worth calibrating. If the lightning strike so drastically altered your TV's picture, then you don't know what other hidden damage there could be. Your TV may be barely hanging on. Why pay for calibration under those circumstances?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Don't dump your CRT RPTV!