or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Don't dump your CRT RPTV!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Don't dump your CRT RPTV! - Page 262

post #7831 of 12296
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideswiper View Post

Very cool thread Mr. Bob. I just bought a Pioneer Elite Pro 710 HD tv for $250.00 and the picture is great on it but i have been reading this thread and think maybe i should get a ISF tech to calibrate and setup my tv properly. I have heard the Best Buy Geek Squad do this type of work???. I will check out some other places too but i want someone that knows what they are doing for sure. How much does this cost to get done? If there are any members here from the Peterboro Ontario Canada area that knows a good ISF tech could you let me know Thank in advance.

There are very few CRT grade calibrators left, and no, you won't find them at BB. ISF does courses for BB just like everybody else, but ISF does not teach the image structure aspects of CRT calibration at all, never has.

For that most likely you'll have to fly somebody in.

If you want to know how much I charge, there's a whole menu of things to choose from, a lot of it depending on your particular setup, so we really have to talk about that before we get into specifics. Contact me directly by phone or email. No PM's, please -

b
post #7832 of 12296
Thanks for the info guys i will check out other options for sure now
post #7833 of 12296
Is a Pioneer SD-643HD5 worth 300 bucks in like new condition with low hours. 64 inch widescreen.
Not the Elite model but I have a SD-533HD5 the little brother of this tv and the pic is still amazing. What you think ? Bob, what you think ?
post #7834 of 12296
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideswiper View Post

Thanks for the info guys i will check out other options for sure now

Forgot to mention that the Elite 710 is one of the finest HDready's ever made. To get it for $250 is to get away with stealing it. Grab it! Quick before it goes away!

b
post #7835 of 12296
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post

Is a Pioneer SD-643HD5 worth 300 bucks in like new condition with low hours. 64 inch widescreen.
Not the Elite model but I have a SD-533HD5 the little brother of this tv and the pic is still amazing. What you think ? Bob, what you think ?

Go for it. Quick before it goes away. It's a year younger than the 642.

There's not enough difference to sneeze at between the Elite and non-Elite Pioneers. Except the gleaming shiny piano black piano finish on the Elites. They both use the same service manual and have essentially the same circuits and parts. The images are no different from each other. The pix I create for both of them via my calibration process are identical to each other in every way when I am finished.

If money were tight and I only wanted the picture quality and didn't care about the piano black finish and there were a substantial monetary difference between what is being charged, I would DEFINITELY get the 643 over its Elite brother, the 720. Or the 533 over an Elite 520.

Then contact me and let me help you get both of your sets back to where they have belonged being all along - whcih if they've never been touched I guarantee you they haven't been in years - plus making them even better than that.

Mucho, MUCHO better than that.

b
post #7836 of 12296
I recently purchased a 115 pound unshielded center channel speaker. Can my
Mits WS-73713 support this weight? The speaker is 38 inches long.
post #7837 of 12296
No!!!
post #7838 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

Go for it. Quick before it goes away. It's a year younger than the 642.

There's not enough difference to sneeze at between the Elite and non-Elite Pioneers. Except the gleaming shiny piano black piano finish on the Elites. They both use the same service manual and have essentially the same circuits and parts. The images are no different from each other. The pix I create for both of them via my calibration process are identical to each other in every way when I am finished.

If money were tight and I only wanted the picture quality and didn't care about the piano black finish and there were a substantial monetary difference between what is being charged, I would DEFINITELY get the 643 over its Elite brother, the 720. Or the 533 over an Elite 520.

Then contact me and let me help you get both of your sets back to where they have belonged being all along - whcih if they've never been touched I guarantee you they haven't been in years - plus making them even better than that.

Mucho, MUCHO better than that.

b

Bob,

Thx so much for reply. I was the first to try to see this tv. Was stood up. The owner was a realtor and business called. So I told him
thats ok I understand just give me first shot at it. Set up a 530 appointment for tonight and he no showed again. Called him and he told me he sold it at 2pm that day. Also told me he left a voice mail and email but he did neither.

Oh well if the guy is this unethical the tv was probably worn out or had other issues anyway. Hate to have to deal with this guy on a house since he is a realtor ! Just have to be happy with my 53" Pioneer. Thanks................
post #7839 of 12296
Thread Starter 
Keep your eyes peeled and be ready to pounce! Another will be coming along soon -

b
post #7840 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

Go for it. Quick before it goes away. It's a year younger than the 642.

There's not enough difference to sneeze at between the Elite and non-Elite Pioneers. Except the gleaming shiny piano black piano finish on the Elites. They both use the same service manual and have essentially the same circuits and parts. The images are no different from each other. The pix I create for both of them via my calibration process are identical to each other in every way when I am finished.

If money were tight and I only wanted the picture quality and didn't care about the piano black finish and there were a substantial monetary difference between what is being charged, I would DEFINITELY get the 643 over its Elite brother, the 720. Or the 533 over an Elite 520.

Then contact me and let me help you get both of your sets back to where they have belonged being all along - whcih if they've never been touched I guarantee you they haven't been in years - plus making them even better than that.

Mucho, MUCHO better than that.

b

Bob, I tend to disagree with your comment about Elites vs non-Elites. Here is the press release from Pioneer.
Some differences (c/p):
Other video features for the Pioneer Elite projection TV include:

.52mm super fine pitch screen for razor-sharp image reproduction
New four element lens system
1,400 lines resolution
Advanced super bright lenticular screen
Dynamic picture optimizer
Chromatically pure red and green lens
Detachable tinted protection screen
Five-Step 3D Y/C level set with S-Video only
Improved corner focus
Improved contrast ratio
Detachable bottom rail for custom install flexability
High gloss black finish
post #7841 of 12296
I have a pioneer(not elite) sd-582hd5..I have a marantz av7005 being delivered tomorrow..not quite sure how to connect..more importantly maybe someone can refer a tech that will come clean and calibrate my set...i live on eastern long island ny...i have never cleaned the lens..and don't want to attempt doing it myself..i have the brightness up to its max and the image gets darker every month...should i just dump it???
post #7842 of 12296
Post a pic of it.
post #7843 of 12296
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post

Bob, I tend to disagree with your comment about Elites vs non-Elites. Here is the press release from Pioneer.
Some differences (c/p):
Other video features for the Pioneer Elite projection TV include:

.52mm super fine pitch screen for razor-sharp image reproduction
New four element lens system
1,400 lines resolution
Advanced super bright lenticular screen
Dynamic picture optimizer
Chromatically pure red and green lens
Detachable tinted protection screen
Five-Step 3D Y/C level set with S-Video only
Improved corner focus
Improved contrast ratio
Detachable bottom rail for custom install flexability
High gloss black finish

Perhaps if you put an Elite up beside a non-Elite you might be able to ferret out some differences, but from my experience with having calibrated both, I can't see any differences. They both deliver stealth grade HD when fully dialed in.

I'm sure there are differences, I am just saying they are not worth spending an arm and a leg more for the Elite version when all you're looking for is the best pic possible.

b
post #7844 of 12296
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy24 View Post

I have a pioneer(not elite) sd-582hd5..I have a marantz av7005 being delivered tomorrow..not quite sure how to connect..more importantly maybe someone can refer a tech that will come clean and calibrate my set...i live on eastern long island ny...i have never cleaned the lens..and don't want to attempt doing it myself..i have the brightness up to its max and the image gets darker every month...should i just dump it???

There is a Baltimore tour being formed, are you close by?

Try to keep all connections component. HDMI can be handled using an HD Fury II or III.

I can phone coach owners of Elites and non-Elites in scads of highly relevant and targeted calibration info, meaning that even without an on location visit I can arrange an incredible improvement in your picture quality, including that darkness you're talking about. Many who frequent this thread have availed themselves of that and have become highly pleased.

I started this thread, believe me when I tell you such things. Do NOT buy new, you have an incredible, permanent set there. You're sitting on a gold mine.

b
post #7845 of 12296
pioneer sd-582hd5
LL
post #7846 of 12296
I don't think i would feel comfortable trying this on my own, even with you coaching...i am in my 60's and my eyesight is not what it used to be...
post #7847 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by beazalbob69 View Post

Hi everyone. I had posted on this thread a couple weeks ago that I picked up a Mits 55" ws-55313 for 100$ (actually paid 25$ after selling my broken plasma ). Well I took the screen off to clean the mirror and lenses WOW were they dirty! 7 years and never cleaned. 1st the mirror. It was very dirty almost greasy. Took about 4 rounds of cleaning to get it streak free and perfectly clean. It is a glass mirror so I wasnt too worried. Next was the lenses. They were also very dusty and had a sticky feel to them. Cleaned them very carefully with Monster screen cleaner (which doesnt run as its a little bit thicker) and paper towels as Mr Bob recommends. Got the lenses wet to free up the dust and then just went from the back to the front rolling the paper towel towards me to get the major scum off. Then I just breathe hard on the lens to get a little fog and wiped it off with the paper towel. Not too hard and worked great.

Holy crap what a difference! This set actually looks better than my Panny Plasma that it replaced. I was amazed. If people knew that there TV's were just dirty and not old and worn out I bet they would'nt be getting rid of them so cheap and replacing them with something that has an inferior picture in most cases.



Sounds good. Is this something anyone can do for the first time or does it need a knowledgable tech? I have an old 65 inch toshiba.65H84 ? I think. It's a 1080i picture.

I do have one question first about BluRay. I've never had a BR player, but if I did get one, would I just set the outgoing picture to 1080i from the BR player into the TV?

So, re the cleaning of the insides of the TV, is there a step by step guide to doing this? Should I do it? I haven't done it in all the years I've owned it. Smoke free house, but it does get dusty, if the back of the TV is any indicator.

I do have what I think is burn in on the sides of the TV, from watching unstretched sd shows. You can only see it on certain scenes, but it's really not that bothersome. Can I run something to get rid of it or even everything out? It's an old set.... maybe one day I'll replace it. I was actually thinking the Mits 73" dlps. I actually did have the Toshiba pro calibrated when I first got it, but never again after that.


Should I get the paper towels ready? HA! I do have some Sprayway(?) or something like that under my sink somewhere.


thanks.
post #7848 of 12296
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy24 View Post

I don't think i would feel comfortable trying this on my own, even with you coaching...i am in my 60's and my eyesight is not what it used to be...

Many younger people who could not use age as an excuse have reported that before my calibration they thought their eyes were going out on them when they looked at their sets, and afterwards they see how it really shoulda been all along. And that their eyesight was evidently actually just fine!

b
post #7849 of 12296
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cissado View Post

Sounds good. Is this something anyone can do for the first time or does it need a knowledgable tech? I have an old 65 inch toshiba.65H84 ? I think. It's a 1080i picture.

I do have one question first about BluRay. I've never had a BR player, but if I did get one, would I just set the outgoing picture to 1080i from the BR player into the TV?

So, re the cleaning of the insides of the TV, is there a step by step guide to doing this? Should I do it? I haven't done it in all the years I've owned it. Smoke free house, but it does get dusty, if the back of the TV is any indicator.

I do have what I think is burn in on the sides of the TV, from watching unstretched sd shows. You can only see it on certain scenes, but it's really not that bothersome. Can I run something to get rid of it or even everything out? It's an old set.... maybe one day I'll replace it. I was actually thinking the Mits 73" dlps. I actually did have the Toshiba pro calibrated when I first got it, but never again after that.


Should I get the paper towels ready? HA! I do have some Sprayway(?) or something like that under my sink somewhere.


thanks.

Your set is in incredible need of optics cleaning by now, and the deeper optics as well. Most owners have no trouble bulling that off, but it's best to have pro grade coaching involved.

Screenburn can be evened out if you know Powerpoint and can create a reverse pattern.

I am available if you want the cleaning to get done right. Contact me off board, no pm's please -

b
post #7850 of 12296
Thread Starter 
If all goes as planned, I'll be there from Friday till Tuesday. Let me know if you'll be there too, maybe we can get a drink!

b
post #7851 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

Many younger people who could not use age as an excuse have reported that before my calibration they thought their eyes were going out on them when they looked at their sets, and afterwards they see how it really shoulda been all along. And that their eyesight was evidently actually just fine!

You may want to go back and read what he said again. Because I'm pretty sure he was not at all saying anything like that he would not see a difference or a improvement if his set was worked on to clean it. But instead he was referring to both his age and his eyesight as a reason why did not want to attempt to, or feel comfortable with working on his set himself.
post #7852 of 12296
yes johnla thank you...that what is exactly what i was saying..I am certain that if i were fortunate enough to attain Mr.Bob's services that i would be more than satisfied...So at this stage i am trying to find someone local that can at least clean the lens for me..
post #7853 of 12296
Thread Starter 
I completely agree with both of you, and hope you didn't take my comments as a slight. Was not intended that way, my apologies if it came across that way.

I just don't think your age would get in the way, Cappy. Owners older than you have nailed it, many of them.

But if you really feel that age and/or eyesight might be an impediment, really, don't do it yourself.

Just don't blindly trust local techs, either. They know next to nothing about the process that needs to be adhered to, to protect your incredibly delicate optics in there. You - or they - only get one shot at it.

If I were you I would get a handy nephew to go in there, on the phone with me for safekeeping. At the very worst, get a local tech, but be sure he's on the phone with me for safekeeping.

Don't blindly trust ANYBODY with your set's optics cleaning process. There's too much at stake.


b
post #7854 of 12296
I did not feel slighted at all..I appreciate all of your help and input..having my son present during a phone session with you sounds like the best plan for me...you can pm me if you wish with the details...thank you
post #7855 of 12296
Thread Starter 
That would be great!

My pm box is overflowing, it can only be used for emergencies now. Could you send me an email or phone me? I'll get right back to you ASAP.

Thx

b
post #7856 of 12296
Hey Bob, I sent you an Email. I may want to go that route. A few years' worth of dust is surely to have accumilated on there. Can't hurt.
post #7857 of 12296
Thread Starter 
With 30KV happening in the entire area every minute - every second - the set is on, I can guarantee it. Check out the Nuts and Bolts section of my website for more info.

Saw your email, going to it right now -

b
post #7858 of 12296
Yeah, dump that CRT RPTV. In addition to issues I mentioned back in this old post, there's a new one: failure to sync with HDMI audio. I've tried a couple of different brands of pre/pro and AVR, and they delay audio with respect to video.

The old RPTVs without today's "HDMI Auto Lip Sync" function will always have their video ahead of the processed audio from the digital pre/pro. This will be my last and final straw to roll the Pio 610 to the curb.

In fairness, it's not the RPTV's fault. But it's another brick in the wall of obsolescence. And an adapter like the HDFury won't fix this; it would need to add video delay, and that's probably a hard problem.
post #7859 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

Yeah, dump that CRT RPTV. In addition to issues I mentioned back in this old post, there's a new one: failure to sync with HDMI audio. I've tried a couple of different brands of pre/pro and AVR, and they delay audio with respect to video.

The old RPTVs without today's "HDMI Auto Lip Sync" function will always have their video ahead of the processed audio from the digital pre/pro. This will be my last and final straw to roll the Pio 610 to the curb.

In fairness, it's not the RPTV's fault. But it's another brick in the wall of obsolescence. And an adapter like the HDFury won't fix this; it would need to add video delay, and that's probably a hard problem.

Really because my Pioneer SD-533HD5 with a HDFURY outback has no lip sync issues through HDMI ?
post #7860 of 12296
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

Yeah, dump that CRT RPTV. In addition to issues I mentioned back in this old post, there's a new one: failure to sync with HDMI audio. I've tried a couple of different brands of pre/pro and AVR, and they delay audio with respect to video.

The old RPTVs without today's "HDMI Auto Lip Sync" function will always have their video ahead of the processed audio from the digital pre/pro. This will be my last and final straw to roll the Pio 610 to the curb.

In fairness, it's not the RPTV's fault. But it's another brick in the wall of obsolescence. And an adapter like the HDFury won't fix this; it would need to add video delay, and that's probably a hard problem.

RPCRT are by no means obsolete... YES there is newer technology, but newer does not translate to better. CRT in all its flavor is a matured and proven technology plus as of today is the defacto standards, all technologies are trying to achieve CRT's blacks, CRT's contrast ratio and CRT's dynamic range.

You do not need HDMI for HD and you do not need 1080p at these sizes.

Granted that in order to achieve a superb picture in these sets a little effort is needed, and yes more so than on LCD, DLP, LED or Plasma, but once you are there picture quality is second to none.

Regarding HDMI audio syinc, If you are running the audio through a AVR then most receivers have a function to adjust this, and it usually happens when you are using a post audio processing, I have never seen a tv with audio sync problem going directly to the TV.

I wish you the best in your quest for a better picture, just pass your set to someone, there are many RPCRT lovers still out there.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Don't dump your CRT RPTV!