or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Atlantic Technology owner's thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Atlantic Technology owner's thread. - Page 19

post #541 of 865
well guys im going to join your thread, i have the 350THX series, and i love them. i think the more you use them the better they sound, now you cant say that about alot of speakers. i wish i could find another 350 sub, or a 450 sub for sale, but not alot of people sell used ones. Is there a big diference adding two more rear speakers for 7.1. i had been thinking about it, but i think i would rather upgrade my marantz sr19 reciever, for a denon or onkyo.
post #542 of 865
Guys,

A friend was over to check out my system the other night. He posted a review of it in the Seaton Sound Submersive thread on the Subwoofer forum. However, he also had some nice things to say about the 8200e's, so I thought I would link it here in case anyone was interested.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...59877&page=133
(Post #3980)

Craig
post #543 of 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpenix View Post

well guys im going to join your thread, i have the 350THX series, and i love them. i think the more you use them the better they sound, now you cant say that about alot of speakers. i wish i could find another 350 sub, or a 450 sub for sale, but not alot of people sell used ones. Is there a big diference adding two more rear speakers for 7.1. i had been thinking about it, but i think i would rather upgrade my marantz sr19 reciever, for a denon or onkyo.

I have the 350THXs also. As much as I thought I liked the 350 subs, I got rid of both and bought a Snell ICS Sub24 (now IC-Basis 550) THX U2 sub. Massive difference; easily one of the best HT purchases I've ever made. Might be able to find a great used deal on ebay or audiogon.
post #544 of 865
I have the 450THX'S I moved the sub to the bedroom and replaced it with a SVS PB13 Ultra Big difference
post #545 of 865
I am looking at the IWTS-30 SR surrounds for my 7.1 system, Actually I am also looking at the Triad Silver surround and the Definitive UIW RSS II. Has anyone done any comparing of these surround speakers.

I have a question on the IWTS-30 SR's though. Do they have an integrated sealed back box on them, or are they open?
post #546 of 865
Ideally you'd want your rears to match your fronts, so what front speakers do you have?
post #547 of 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrenduro View Post

Ideally you'd want your rears to match your fronts, so what front speakers do you have?

Well do to budget that can't happen at this time in the game. The fronts are going to have to be my existing Rocket speakers that I have now. RS-760's for L/R and RSC-200 for the center. I do have a pair of RSS-300's surrounds but they aren't made any more and I would like to go with in-walls for the new theater room.

Down the road when we recover from the theater build I would upgrade the fronts to match the surrounds it I feel it would make an improvement. I know it is not the best case but it is what we have to do for now. I also don't want to cheap out on the inwall surrounds since they will be their for a very long time.
post #548 of 865
Your decision should really be what fronts do you want to get when you do buy different fronts. That will then determine your surrounds. Unless you do a lot of multi-channel music listening the surrounds aren't as important as your mains. Subsequently you'd be better served deciding on mains first. I'm sure the surrounds from all three companies are great sounding but having them match your fronts is most important.

I'd rather have a slightly 'lesser' surround in my system that matches my fronts than a better surround that doesn't.
post #549 of 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

I am looking at the IWTS-30 SR surrounds for my 7.1 system, Actually I am also looking at the Triad Silver surround and the Definitive UIW RSS II. Has anyone done any comparing of these surround speakers.

I have a question on the IWTS-30 SR's though. Do they have an integrated sealed back box on them, or are they open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

Well do to budget that can't happen at this time in the game. The fronts are going to have to be my existing Rocket speakers that I have now. RS-760's for L/R and RSC-200 for the center. I do have a pair of RSS-300's surrounds but they aren't made any more and I would like to go with in-walls for the new theater room.

Down the road when we recover from the theater build I would upgrade the fronts to match the surrounds it I feel it would make an improvement. I know it is not the best case but it is what we have to do for now. I also don't want to cheap out on the inwall surrounds since they will be their for a very long time.

Will you have sub(s) in your system? If you don't have subs, and you need to run the speakers "Full Range", I strongly suggest you look at speakers with integral enclosures, which the AT speakers do *not* have. Sending bass to speakers that use the wall as the enclosure can cause wall resonance and bleed through of bass leading to cancellation issues. Bass Management and re-routing of bass from the surrounds to the subs can reduce some of the issues with backless speakers.

Even if you do have subwoofer(s), there are advantages to fully enclosed in-wall speakers that have to do with unwanted "bleed through" of sound to adjacent spaces. Read this article for more info:
http://www.cepro.com/article/how_to_...peaker_systems

The Triad and Def Tech speakers you are considering have integral enclosures. If either of the above "issues" are important to you, I suggest you give them preference.

Craig
post #550 of 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Will you have sub(s) in your system? If you don't have subs, and you need to run the speakers "Full Range", I strongly suggest you look at speakers with integral enclosures, which the AT speakers do *not* have. Sending bass to speakers that use the wall as the enclosure can cause wall resonance and bleed through of bass leading to cancellation issues. Bass Management and re-routing of bass from the surrounds to the subs can reduce some of the issues with backless speakers.

Even if you do have subwoofer(s), there are advantages to fully enclosed in-wall speakers that have to do with unwanted "bleed through" of sound to adjacent spaces. Read this article for more info:
http://www.cepro.com/article/how_to_...peaker_systems

The Triad and Def Tech speakers you are considering have integral enclosures. If either of the above "issues" are important to you, I suggest you give them preference.

Craig


Thank you for the answer about the encloser, that is all I needed to know to elimnate them. The choice has been made now and I am going to order up the Triad's. Thanks again for al the help, of to make a phone call and spend some money now.
post #551 of 865
i just thought i would ask if anyone has bought from this site or not? The price are unbelievable? Any commets?

htt://bestofaudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=57&products_id=9388

i dropped the p from the http so i could post the link it's only my 3 posting
post #552 of 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromo View Post

i just thought i would ask if anyone has bought from this site or not? The price are unbelievable? Any commets?

htt://bestofaudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=57&products_id=9388

i dropped the p from the http so i could post the link it's only my 3 posting

This is the list of "authorized" on-line dealers:

AUTHORIZED ONLINE DEALERS

Authorized Atlantic Technology B-Stock / Discontinued Dealer
www.AVHiFi.com
www.HTMarket.com
www.Amazon.com
www.Audioholics.com
www.Projectorbundles.com

Here's what Atlantic Technology says about unauthorized dealers:
Quote:


PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT!
BUY ONLY FROM AN AUTHORIZED ATLANTIC TECHNOLOGY DEALER/INSTALLER!

Make sure you're buying a genuine Atlantic Technology product by buying from an authorized Atlantic Technology retail dealer/installer. Atlantic Technology product purchased from an authorized dealer/installer is genuine, factory-new and carries the Atlantic Technology limited warranty.
Please be careful. Buying from an unauthorized dealer can void your warranty. Their products may be used, counterfeit or stolen goods, and their sale is a criminal violation in many states. Some dealers, websites and online auctions who are not authorized dealers may claim to sell our products but do not actually have them in stock. Or, they may sell Atlantic Technology products that are either defective or have defaced, missing or altered serial numbers and/or product labels, or have missing owner's manuals and accessories. These products carry no warranty from Atlantic Technology.

Important information for you: Just because a dealer/installer claims to have factory sealed cartons, that is no guarantee that the dealer/installer is an authorized dealer. Legally, once the merchandise has changed hands through a sale, it is no longer considered new. Therefore, if an unscrupulous dealer/installer has acquired Atlantic Technology products through illegitimate means, the product is considered used in the eyes of the law, even if the cartons are so-called factory sealed. We can't offer you warranty protection on used merchandise.

If you have any questions as to whether or not you're dealing with an authorized Atlantic Technology dealer/installer, please call us at 781-762-6300 or e-mail us at sales@atlantictechnology.com. If you reside in the U.S, you can also go to the How to buyU.S. consumers' section of our site to search our listing of authorized dealers and authorized online dealers. You can also contact your local Atlantic Technology representative listed on the How to buydealers' section. If you reside outside the U.S., check the How to buyInternational section' on our website to find your country's contact information.

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/up...atement-09.pdf

If you want great pricing plus a 15-day, no hassle return period, contact the forum store. They're "authorized" and have great pricing. Try Jason Turk, (just search for his username.)

Craig
post #553 of 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromo View Post

i just thought i would ask if anyone has bought from this site or not? The price are unbelievable? Any commets?

htt://bestofaudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=57&products_id=9388

i dropped the p from the http so i could post the link it's only my 3 posting

Their web site says there address is:
2837 Hyperion Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90027

The address is in a corner retail center at Rowena & Hyperion. I am familiar with this area however I left SoCal about three years ago. It was not an area of the city I would expect to find an Atlantic dealer.

A member in L.A. should be able to see if this is a real business.

They are NOT on listed on the Atlantic web site as a authorized dealer.
post #554 of 865
will the onkyo 807 be enough power to run an 8200 system? or should i be looking at say the 4400 system?
post #555 of 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromo View Post

will the onkyo 807 be enough power to run an 8200 system? or should i be looking at say the 4400 system?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum and to the Atlantic Technology thread.

Your receiver is a THX Select2 receiver. The 8200e system is a THX Ultra2 speaker system, while the 4400 System is a Select system. Either specification will provide full Dolby and THX Reference Level, but they are certified to do so in different sized spaces. The Ultra2 certification is for larger rooms, >3,000 cubic feet and viewing distances greater than 12', while Select certification is for smaller rooms of around 2,000 cubic feet, and shorter viewing distances:

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...ce-categories/

So, the pertinent questions are: How big is your room, and; How loud do you like to listen? If you're in a large room and you want full Reference Level, (105 dB at the seats), you'll need the 8200e system, and then you'll likely want an outboard power amp to drive them. The 135 wpc of the 807 is good enough to push speakers to RL in a smaller room, but it will struggle in a larger room.

If your room is small to moderately sized and you don't want to listen at the ear-splitting levels of full RL, then the 4400 series speakers should work extremely well for you.

Another deciding factor is how much subwoofer you're interested in. If you want full RL from the speakers, you'll also need full RL from the subs. The LFE has a 10 dB boost, and the Bass Management system redirects all the bass from the main speakers to the sub. This raises the subwoofer SPL requirements to about 120 dB for full RL.

That kind of subwoofage is not cheap, and it usually involves some significant real estate in the room. If you are thinking of using just one sub, and you want to keep the subwoofer expenditure under about $500, then a Select2 speaker system will match up better with that level of subwoofage.

Atlantic Technology does not currently make an Ultra2 subwoofer system. In fact, in order to hit the Ultra2 specification, dual subs are required. There are other companies that make THX Ultra2 certified subwoofer systems:

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...pe=&category=8

If you are going to get the 8200e system, I strongly recommend a subwoofer system capable of keeping up with the SPL capabilities of the speakers. I use 3 Seaton Sound Submersives in my system. I'm not suggesting you need to go that route, or spend that much. I'm just providing an example of what kind of subwoofer capability you need to match up well with the capabilities of the 8200e speakers.

AT does make a Select subwoofer system:
http://www.atlantictechnology.com/default.asp?NodeId=51
This sub would work well in a small to moderate sized room, although there are many other subs that will work just as well, and are better "values", (IMO).

Good luck, and be sure to let us know what you decide.

Craig
post #556 of 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post

Their web site says there address is:
2837 Hyperion Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90027

The address is in a corner retail center at Rowena & Hyperion. I am familiar with this area however I left SoCal about three years ago. It was not an area of the city I would expect to find an Atlantic dealer.

A member is L.A. should be able to if this is a real business.

They are NOT on listed on the Atlantic web site as a authorized dealer.

Also their website states that they buy up stock from other businesses "going out of business" so besides no warrantee, they likey don't have stock.
post #557 of 865
Thanks for the input, I think that i'm going to have to do a little more research, before i make my purchase, being new at the audio game or HT game it takes a while to understand it all. I really do like the look of these speakers and have heard some good reviews. Haven't heard them yet...lol. No retailers or dealers in vancouver canada that have demos to audtion. Thanks again.
post #558 of 865
guys i have a question, i have the 350 thx system, and have been having reciever probs, now as i was reading diferent things i came along the old manual for my speakers online. it says the system is 4ohm, but on the rear of my speakers it says 150 whatt 8 ohm. so are they 8 or 4. i looked on the AT site and their manual says 4 ohm, but the speakers say 8
post #559 of 865
Does anyone have any ideas on how to wall mount these speakers to a wall? Iam using them as BACK SURROUNDS placed together for ASA, and there is no holes to mount these like the surrounds.

I was thinking on buying some little wall brackets and just drilling them into the back of the speakers with really short screws.

Anyways any ideas?
post #560 of 865
Has anyone heard if AT is planning on offering an in-wall surround with integrated enclosure? I already have (3) IWCB-727s for my fronts, which all have integrated enclosures. I'm getting ready to purchase (4) surrounds but am worried that an IWTS-14 or IWTS-30 might not be the best choice. Won't I experience a lot of sound bleeding through the walls with no back box/enclosure? Should I consider another manufacturer for the surrounds?
post #561 of 865
I just picked up 2 system 350's one 7.1 (no subs) and the other 5.1 + 1 sub, looking to have spares and/or going 11.2 someday. For now I'm just running 7.1 anyway. They were a real bargain and I'm pretty happy with all of them! I'm actually not running the 1 AT sub, I have 2 other home made subs.
post #562 of 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post

I just picked up 2 system 350's one 7.1 (no subs) and the other 5.1 + 1 sub, looking to have spares and/or going 11.2 someday. For now I'm just running 7.1 anyway. They were a real bargain and I'm pretty happy with all of them! I'm actually not running the 1 AT sub, I have 2 other home made subs.

Nice

I have had my Atlantic Technology 350 system( with two 352PBM subs) for several years now

Its a solid system....especially for movies

I actually bought it right after the line was discontinued and replaced with the 370 system...... and thus paid about 50% of retail


Warren
post #563 of 865
I found a used set of 450's for sale. the cost would be $1100 shipped (shipping a little over $400 ) and wanted to get an idea if this is a fair price. he says the speakers are in great shape. I Have a set of the 370's and love the way they sound. just can't seem to find any other used ones out their to do a price comparison.

thanks
post #564 of 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Has anyone heard if AT is planning on offering an in-wall surround with integrated enclosure? I already have (3) IWCB-727s for my fronts, which all have integrated enclosures. I'm getting ready to purchase (4) surrounds but am worried that an IWTS-14 or IWTS-30 might not be the best choice. Won't I experience a lot of sound bleeding through the walls with no back box/enclosure? Should I consider another manufacturer for the surrounds?

If you do in-walls, you want to purchase speakers that have enclosures designed specifically for those speakers. I have never found anything appropriate in a reasonable price range, so when I put my system together, I opted for the AT surrounds and hung them on my wall. Not ideal, but I'll take them hanging on the wall with the sound they produce over anything else at this juncture. I am very, very happy with my AT system.
post #565 of 865
John,
I had a 450 system and really liked it.
The only reason I upgraded to the 8200 system is due to the size of the room in the new house which is something like 6000 cubic feet. The 450s would be fine in most rooms.
post #566 of 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpenix View Post

guys i have a question, i have the 350 thx system, and have been having receiver probs, now as i was reading different things i came along the old manual for my speakers online. it says the system is 4ohm, but on the rear of my speakers it says 150 Watt 8 ohm. so are they 8 or 4. i looked on the AT site and their manual says 4 ohm, but the speakers say 8

I just picked up a set of Atlantic Technology 351 LR fronts & a 353 C center channel, picking up a set of 354 SR rears on the 31st. I am having issues with my receiver as well. My receiver is going into overload protection at higher volumes. The receiver is rated for 8-16 ohm speakers, so I am wondering, as well as lpenix, if these are 4 or 8 ohms?? Any info would be appreciated.
post #567 of 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace420 View Post
I just picked up a set of Atlantic Technology 351 LR fronts & a 353 C center channel, picking up a set of 354 SR rears on the 31st. I am having issues with my receiver as well. My receiver is going into overload protection at higher volumes. The receiver is rated for 8-16 ohm speakers, so I am wondering, as well as lpenix, if these are 4 or 8 ohms?? Any info would be appreciated.
http://www.atlantictechnology.com/Up...350_manual.pdf

Go to Page 7 and look at the spec's. They're 4 Ohm's Nominal.

Craig
post #568 of 865
I think they came in both 8 ohm and 4 ohm, mine say 8 ohm. Their support was very responsive too so you could ask.
post #569 of 865
Anyone here who has bought the new AT speakers with the H-Pass technology?
post #570 of 865
[QUOTE
Go to Page 7 and look at the spec's. They're 4 Ohm's Nominal.

Craig[/quote]

I've read that as well, but the speakers are labeled as 8ohms!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Atlantic Technology owner's thread.