Originally Posted by Talkstr8t
Just because you won't ask doesn't mean everyone else here won't!
You can't point your fingers exclusively at the player(s) or the disc(s). Getting new technology on the street requires a very iterative process of testing and tweaking both the discs and the players. Without suggesting that it can or it can't, whether the Samsung can read a BD50 disc today is irrelevant, as long as it can read them when they're available. If it wasn't yet able to read BD50 discs would it have made sense to delay release of the player knowing that no BD50 discs would be on the market for some months and the players could be easily updated upon release of BD50? What if it could read BD50 discs from one manufacturer but not from another, or could read 95% of them but not the other 5%? There are a lot of shades of gray. The bottom line is that if the BD-P1000 won't play BD50 discs upon availability of the discs then people have a legitimate right to complain. If a firmware upgrade is required to play them, big deal.
Non particulars related question:
Would you agree that 1080p versus 1080i is a non issue, and HDMI 1.3 is totally unnecessary?