or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Just got Samsung BD, have had Toshiba
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just got Samsung BD, have had Toshiba - Page 7  

post #181 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewalker
Try doing a little Google and check the facts before spouting off, mon frere...

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/51512.html

Same as Sony taking a loss on the PS3s...

Peace.
Have you read the isupply article? Its pretty laughable. They take conjecture mixed with retail prices to come to a roundabout value. Its about as accurate as you or I writing an article on teh possible costs of hd-dvd or bd. Logic would dictate that intel gave them a great price on the cpu's since they are discontinued and old stock. Not retail like isupply assumed. Then you have the fact that toshiba isnt alone in this fight and is likely recieving their parts at cost or relatively at cost. If i thought like isupply then my pocketPC cell phone must have cost over 1grand!

Also the difference between this and sony is that sony has said they are losing money, toshiba has said they are not losing money. So not the same.
post #182 of 192
The difference between US speculating as to price and iSuppi speculating on price is that they do it professionally and we're a bunch of armchair experts.

I mean, we should give them a BIT of credit being a professional consulting firm who does this for nearly every major consumer electronics release, right? That's got to be worth something, even with the shrillness of these debates?
post #183 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerloop
The difference between US speculating as to price and iSuppi speculating on price is that they do it professionally and we're a bunch of armchair experts.

I mean, we should give them a BIT of credit being a professional consulting firm who does this for nearly every major consumer electronics release, right? That's got to be worth something, even with the shrillness of these debates?
Im more informed then alot of what i read and they even admit in the article its all conjecture without one source or fact. They didnt even bother to ask or dig for sources from the companies supplying parts. So no, no credit given.
post #184 of 192
I agree I'd like to see some other parties coraborate or refute by doing their own professional break-down...for example, bloggers/websites/mags do this all the time when new iPods and Macs get released, and when the DVDO VP30 shipped, we got to see it with the case off and a cursory breakdown on the components. Now, tracing back to the the suppliers and getting detailed OEM cost-breakdowns would be the hard part. Anyone care to take a shot on their own A1 and report back?
post #185 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Marshall
Valid thoughts for sure.

FWIW - I made the decision to wait for the Pioneer for three primary reasons:

1- I'm very happy with my A1 and it's killer PQ, so it will hold me over for now (no more issues since the firmware upgrade).

2- Questionable Blu-ray content at this point (which IMO will be resolved sooner than later). I've seen Blu-ray at it's finest and it's every bit as good as HD-DVD.

3- I love Pioneer to begin with, and I like the additional features it will offer.

However, I can fully understand why people have bought the Samsung and I applaud there sense of adventure and willingness to explore new technology, just as all of us did with the A1.

Here here, and please read my signature, but unfortunately many folks have lost sight of how exciting this new technology really is.

I commend both Toshiba and Sony for bringing this wonderful technology to us; and folks should lighten up and cut them some slack as they work out the issues :)
Mostly for these same reasons, I have decided to return the Samsung and wait for the Pioneer and Panasonic to come out and compare all three. While there are some issues with the Samsung, I think they have been unfairly bashed when most of the real problems deal with the source material, single layer DVDs, and MPEG-2. Samsung has really done the community a service by getting a player out to market earlier than the others and exposed some of the shortfalls with the current BD DVDs.
post #186 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001
I hear you, the cult-like behavior of HDDVD supporters on here is ridiculous.

That's rather comical considering the majority of Sony fans are blind fanboys. Nearly 80% of Japanese polled said that the PS3's price is too high. Yet if you talk to a Sony fanboy they'll say no it isn't.
post #187 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKing
That's rather comical considering the majority of Sony fans are blind fanboys. Nearly 80% of Japanese polled said that the PS3's price is too high. Yet if you talk to a Sony fanboy they'll say no it isn't.
This is an excellent point. I saw this poll as well. The Japanese are going to buy the Wii and wait for the PS3 to drop in price.
post #188 of 192
It's clear that the crappy quality of the BluRry releases are on the discs and not the fault of the Samsung player - this is indisputable.

Now the real question is - should Samsung be really pissed off at Sony and BR fans pointing the finger of blame at their player??

Pissed off enough to hurry up and release their Hybrid player sooner than later... eh?
post #189 of 192
Indisputable?? I beg to differ!

The method Samsung is using to create 1080P is obviously flawed. The upconversion of the player is not up to par with the Toshiba either. It can't play the newest audio codecs.

Exactly why do you feel the player is so good? The load time does not make it a good quality player, the presentation of the films is all that matters. At least to me, anyway.
post #190 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics
Indisputable?? I beg to differ!

The method Samsung is using to create 1080P is obviously flawed. The upconversion of the player is not up to par with the Toshiba either. It can't play the newest audio codecs.

Exactly why do you feel the player is so good? The load time does not make it a good quality player, the presentation of the films is all that matters. At least to me, anyway.
True, but the software isnt good either. Unless the samsung is using total trash components the fault lies on both ends.
post #191 of 192
Recently, many finally realized that Sony is evil. I would not be surprised if in chines the word 'sony' actually means 'evil'. They seem to only care about how to most efficiently screw their customers, that is us.
That is the reason why we all should support HDDVD, and send Sony back to China.
post #192 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo2300
Recently, many finally realized that Sony is evil. I would not be surprised if in chines the word 'sony' actually means 'evil'. They seem to only care about how to most efficiently screw their customers, that is us.
That is the reason why we all should support HDDVD, and send Sony back to China.
You mean Chinese? and i beleave Sony as well as Toshiba are japanese :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Just got Samsung BD, have had Toshiba