or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs › Any Ideas for Portable Replay
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any Ideas for Portable Replay

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
Wondering if there were any thoughts about a Portable Replay. Not a manufactured one but a home brew one of sorts. Maybe someone has come up with one not sure, have been following this forum for many years now but have not really seen this idea. My idea is something where you could use an older replay maybe the 2000 version all put on a hard drive and hooked up to something like a small screen that could be carried around. I know that we can use dvarchive and such but there are alot of problems with this and not to hurt Gerry's feelings on Dvarchive but it a super slow transfer by the way my understanding this is replay fault. What I am thinking of is something where you could hook up to a portable dvd player or even modify one and take out the dvd player and input the hard drive with a replay on it.

Of course this should have been something that replay and tivo should be going after but I don't think we will ever see anything of this sort. There is Replay PC edition and maybe this is the market they are going after but I am really talking about something smaller. The portable would of course have to hook up to your cable or satellite and be able to hook up to the internet to download the guide but this could all be done just like a external hard drive that could be hot swappable to your pc.

Just some ideas, wondering if there are any ideas that others may have or maybe already done. Please add to this.
post #2 of 36
Q1 '03
post #3 of 36
post #4 of 36
I have a few pelican cases.

I put my bluetooth pda cellphone in one when I listen to podcasts in the jacuzzi.

Another one I intend to bond under the hood of my car to keep frys gift certificates, lifetime warranties for wheel alignments, break pads, ect. Haven't done that yet though, just got a pelican box for it. got to find a cool place under the hood.


Afterthought: aluminum cases could actually matter if for case cooling if you build a puter in a big pelican case. Could retrofit the sides of the case to be aluminum panels and bond heat sinks to it. Then you could have a puter in a pool and the water would cool the puter through the aluminum siding. Don't know how you'd power it, battery only? Tesla believed he could make electricty wireless, bummer that didn't happen. What am I talking about: a replaytv, not a computer. Could retrofit plexiglass to one side of the pelican case and put an lcd monitor behind it. You'd have an underwater replaytv box, something for scuba divers that get bored. Does IR travel through water? gotta change channels. Also would need an underwater sound system. they got those? I know there headphone technology that sends sound through human bone. Another navel technology can be heard by whales. How are these scuba divers going know what the people on the screen are saying?
post #5 of 36
If you want aluminum cases look at Zero-Haliburton (no relationship to the VP)
post #6 of 36
I use an Archos AV700 as my portable replay.

Replay to DVArchive to AV700 works very well for me. Highly recommend it.
post #7 of 36
ReplayTV ->
DVArchive (using tasks) ->
PocketDivxEncoder (free) ->
Dell Axim X50v/X51v (w/ free TCPMP player)
post #8 of 36
Doesn't Archos or one of the other portable players have a TV input and timer function? A very basic DVR. It's certainly not as robust as RTV, but close to what you're looking for.
post #9 of 36
There are a number of solutions for portable video for Video iPods, Sony PSP, Axim, Archos, etc. Search this forum for the portable video player you have and you'll find a solution.

A portable DVR isn't very practical unless you plan to record OTA only and are always within range of a WiFi hotspot. As far as recording satellite or cable programs, you'll need to carry around a ladder, a shovel, a coax tap, or wear a big beanie cap with a dish instead of a propeller.


RF
post #10 of 36
I've owned an Archos AV 420 for over a year and a half now and can honestly say it's one of the best things I own. It's perfect for commuters and travelers. I don't like to sit infront of the TV everynight but I like to keep up on some of the primetime Television shows. The Archos AV 420 (I believe the 500 does the same) allows the user to record directly off of TV. The unit allows timed recordings and even has the ability to change the channel on your Sat/cable box. For me...it's perfect, I sit on a train for over 2 hours a day so having last nigths primetime line up in my hands is priceless.
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb5 View Post

Doesn't Archos or one of the other portable players have a TV input and timer function? A very basic DVR. It's certainly not as robust as RTV, but close to what you're looking for.

Its very basic and no better than what you get with a VCR.

Replay > DVArchive > Archos AV700 is the way to go.
post #12 of 36
Thread Starter 
I appreciate all of the responses so far. Maybe I am asking for too much here. I know somebody has some creative ideas. These are all ideas that have been tried before in the past. I have tried most of the offline portable ideas like the psp which does work pretty good. However still not seeing that creative thought process that includes something where we can grab a portable unit and take it with us. Why can't we see a unit kind of like the portable dvd players out there where we can plug in to our home networking and cable/satellite/pc whatever maybe even a hard drive that is hotswappable. I guess what I am seeing what about an external hard drive with replay software that has a coax input and can record directly the shows you want and then can be taken with you. I know its asking for alot but why can't this be done. Seems simple enough??
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhill103 View Post

I appreciate all of the responses so far. Maybe I am asking for too much here. I know somebody has some creative ideas. These are all ideas that have been tried before in the past. I have tried most of the offline portable ideas like the psp which does work pretty good. However still not seeing that creative thought process that includes something where we can grab a portable unit and take it with us. Why can't we see a unit kind of like the portable dvd players out there where we can plug in to our home networking and cable/satellite/pc whatever maybe even a hard drive that is hotswappable. I guess what I am seeing what about an external hard drive with replay software that has a coax input and can record directly the shows you want and then can be taken with you. I know its asking for alot but why can't this be done. Seems simple enough??

Archos devices can do that too.
I just prefer copying from replay to archos and letting replay manage the recording aspect. But Archos can record directly off the TV without the need for Replay. And it is like a portable DVD player.

www.archos.com

Apologies if i'm misinterpreting what you are asking
post #14 of 36
I'll take this a step further on requirements. I travel on and off for business, but have got VERY used to using RTV, as we all have. I now hate sitting in a hotel trying to watch something on TV only to get distracted and then to realise, no I can't hit pause or rewind, or FF/Skip over the ads. So I WANT a portable DVR as well. Not just to play recorded show but to provide DVR WATCHING capabilities. I was/am thinking of RTVPC as an option here, but I'd prefer a self-contained, non-PC device.

An interesting wrinkle to this is that most of the hotels I have seen recently are trying to stop you from unplugging the cable to the TV. I guess they're scared that we'll copy the PPV stuff, or something.
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFussy View Post

An interesting wrinkle to this is that most of the hotels I have seen recently are trying to stop you from unplugging the cable to the TV. I guess they're scared that we'll copy the PPV stuff, or something.

Or to keep you from walking out with their tv set... guess they never heard of cable cutters...
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFussy View Post

.

An interesting wrinkle to this is that most of the hotels I have seen recently are trying to stop you from unplugging the cable to the TV. I guess they're scared that we'll copy the PPV stuff, or something.


More likely, some of travers of your ilk are not plugging it back in before they leave, then they get calls from the next 'guest' asking why their TV don't work. And the tech-neanderthal hotel management don't see the opportunity to pamper their tech-savy guests with a solution, like an s-video auto detector or sumthin. They'd rather bolt or epoxy the cable to the TV set.


perhaps a company could make some easy cash comming up for a refinned solution for hotels. There's a lot of hotels out there.
post #17 of 36
RTV-->DVA-->iPod is my solution for a really portable device.

Otherwise RTV-->DVA-->MacBook Pro.
post #18 of 36
Thread Starter 
Archos sounds like what I need. For the ones who have such a device and replay. Can you hook the archos up to your replay and get the shows off there that you want while skipping the commercials with the commercial advance option on 5040?? Is the archos a good device for kids and which one of the devices are best--how many hours can you record if you are using the replay or recording directly from the tv? I know that I may have to play the show manually on the replay but can it record the show while playing the show. What about the macrovision??

Thanks
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhill103 View Post

Archos sounds like what I need. For the ones who have such a device and replay. Can you hook the archos up to your replay and get the shows off there that you want while skipping the commercials with the commercial advance option on 5040?? Is the archos a good device for kids and which one of the devices are best--how many hours can you record if you are using the replay or recording directly from the tv? I know that I may have to play the show manually on the replay but can it record the show while playing the show. What about the macrovision??

Thanks

No, you would still need to use DVA to get the shows off your ReplayTV unless you output to the Archos and manually recorded the show on the Archos. If CA is on while you're recording, the ads would be skipped. CA isn't foolproof though, so it would catch whatever pauses you made, whatever fixes you made when it didn't skip, overskipped etc.

If you use DVA, some people go to the trouble of cutting out the ads before loading the shows up on what ever device they use. Personally I don't bother. Nothing I record is for keeps.

How old are your kids? My daughter is 6 and she can handle pretty much any digital device once she's shown how to do it once. I burn kids shows to DVD for long trips and she uses our portable DVD player--its a pretty good and inexpensive solution.
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post

No, you would still need to use DVA to get the shows off your ReplayTV unless you output to the Archos and manually recorded the show on the Archos. If CA is on while you're recording, the ads would be skipped. CA isn't foolproof though, so it would catch whatever pauses you made, whatever fixes you made when it didn't skip, overskipped etc.

If you use DVA, some people go to the trouble of cutting out the ads before loading the shows up on what ever device they use. Personally I don't bother. Nothing I record is for keeps.

How old are your kids? My daughter is 6 and she can handle pretty much any digital device once she's shown how to do it once. I burn kids shows to DVD for long trips and she uses our portable DVD player--its a pretty good and inexpensive solution.



Same response here. You need to transfer via DVA
Archos has quick skip buttons so you use those to easily bypass commericials.
Not worth the effort of cutting them out beforehand.
post #21 of 36
I just got an Archos 604 Wifi for Christmas and I've only had it a couple of days but I'm very happy with it so far. I copied a show directly from DVArchive and it worked fine. It also plays shows I've edited the commercials out of using MPEG Video Wizard. I did buy the software download that lets it play MPEG-2. I does a 30" jump/replay and you can skip forward and backwards a second at a push on other buttons. The 4.3" screen is small compared to other DVD players out there, but for what I wanted it for, it is perfect. I'll write and update with a full review as I use it more.
post #22 of 36
I'd love to get one of these Neuros Technology MPEG-4 Recorders and use it with my Treo 650.
post #23 of 36
I use a Creative Zen Vision:M for my portable needs but the MPEGs do need to be converted before being tranferred to the Zen (RTV -> DVA -> ffmpeg -> Zen)
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abini View Post

I just got an Archos 604 Wifi for Christmas and I've only had it a couple of days but I'm very happy with it so far. I copied a show directly from DVArchive and it worked fine. It also plays shows I've edited the commercials out of using MPEG Video Wizard. I did buy the software download that lets it play MPEG-2. I does a 30" jump/replay and you can skip forward and backwards a second at a push on other buttons. The 4.3" screen is small compared to other DVD players out there, but for what I wanted it for, it is perfect. I'll write and update with a full review as I use it more.

Or you could've DL'd PocketDivxEncoder and converted them to MP4 which the Archos plays natively. Makes the vids a lot smaller and doesn't take too long on a fast PC.
post #25 of 36
I think a slingbox would be ideal, especially if you had wi-fi where you wanted to view your shows...
post #26 of 36
Big nod for the slingbox, especially if you have a phone with a decent screen or a PDA+wifi. Slingplayer works wonderfully on my pocketpc PDA but unfortunately there's no wifi at my gym, so I still have to copy shows to an SD card to be really portable.
post #27 of 36
The reason I dropped the extra $19 for the download on the Archos was to be able to import the shows directly onto the Archos from DVArchive and not have to do anything else.

Here's what I can do. Hook the Archos up to my computer and I can tell it to act like an external hard drive. Using DVArchive I tell it to download shows to that drive, start the download, and leave. When it is done, I disconnect and the show is on the Archos ready to watch. No extra work involved. Not too bad for an extra $19.
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmBubba View Post

I think a slingbox would be ideal, especially if you had wi-fi where you wanted to view your shows...

For me, a requirement would be to be able to watch while I'm on a plane, so while I love the idea of the sligbox, I haven't pursued this too much yet. It may be the best answer for when I'm in a hotel though.
post #29 of 36
Some planes have internet now If the charges are like their phone calls...
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmBubba View Post

Some planes have internet now If the charges are like their phone calls...

Yes, I was aware that the FAA was allowing this from 2007 onwards, although I haven't been on a flight that has it yet. Knowing what data plan costs are like for cellphone no-limit internet access, I'd hate to see what something similar for in-flight access might cost.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs › Any Ideas for Portable Replay