or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 460

post #13771 of 14269
can anyone share with me what they did with their old set (dump it, sold it, traded it etc etc), after Sony made the trade.
post #13772 of 14269
Mine was still a passable set, only got rid of it on the wifes insistance. "We don't need 2 60" TV's"
Sold it and the stand for $600 on Craigslist
post #13773 of 14269
Mine's sitting in the corner of the room until I can find one of those local recycling events that'll take a tv. I thought about fixing it, but then decided that the cost involved just wasn't worth it for something that would eventually go bad again, and I couldn't in good conscience sell the set in the condition it's in.
post #13774 of 14269
My kds-50a2000 will probably end up on the curb. It will be gone before the "official" trash man comes.
post #13775 of 14269
I've had mine on Craigslist for a while, no takers so far. My set's problems are barely noticeable so I was hoping I coud sell it. Doesn't look like that's the case.
post #13776 of 14269
thanks for the feedback, yeah my wife wants it out once the replacement comes in. there may be some value in it though, so that was one of the things i thought about doing.

sell it for spare parts, sell it to someone who is willing to take out the optical block and have it repaired etc etc....
post #13777 of 14269
I put the 50A2000 in the rec-room and my son connected his Xbox to it. Looks fine right now when viewing video games. Probably won't in a few months. Will most likely try to recycle it then.

Question to those of you selling these current/future pieces of crap on Craigslist: Do you disclose that it's a current/future piece of crap? I would hope so.
post #13778 of 14269
if i sold mine, i would definitely say its not working. i bet a lot of the parts in it can be harvested though. and if someone was willing, they could swap out the OB for $350.
post #13779 of 14269
A couple of weeks ago I noticed my 2006 KDS-55A2000 had a very yellow tint to the picture. I replaced the lamp- no difference. Tweeked the picture and made it better but still not right.

I started searching online tonight and found the whole thread about the defective optical blocks. Lawsuits, hassles, and run-arounds. To say I was bummed is an understatement.

Then I found this site and the 1-800-554-6908 number for Sony Listens. Made the call, talked to a rep, and 20 minutes later I'm off the phone. As long as I send in the label and a picture of the screen, I'll have a new 55" flat-screen (KDL-55EX500) in a couple of weeks for $175.

I realise that it took several years and a lot of consumer pressure ( thank you to all that came before) but I can't be anything but thrilled with my Sony experience. I replaced a broken 4 year old projection TV with a new LCD same size for $175- YA HOOO!!!!!
post #13780 of 14269
Received 4 offers today from Sony for my "green screened" KDS-50A2000:

KDL60EX720 $1075.00 + local sales tax
KDL55EX500 $175.00 + local sales tax
KDL46BX421 No Charge
KDL40EX720 $50.00 + local sales tax

Contacted Sonylistens to see if there were any other 55" models that were available for offer. Got a response back within a couple of hours offering the following:

KDL-55NX720 - ?? Forgot to include the price in the e-mail.
KDL-55HX729 - $570.00 plus tax
KDL-55HX820 - $891.00 plus tax

Waiting to hear back on the missing price from the e-mail. I will update when I find out and make a decision (already leaning toward the HX820).
post #13781 of 14269
Got an email from the shipping company today since sony had my number off by one digit. Set up for delivery tomorrow.
post #13782 of 14269
Can someone provide me with address to send my documentation to. I could not hear the rep very well. Thanks.
post #13783 of 14269
Sony Electronics
Attention NSP: (event number)
12451 Gateway Blvd.
Fort Myers, FL 33913
post #13784 of 14269
Thanks busbeepbeep. No sooner than I posted the request and I received the info in an e-mail from Sony.

The paperwork is sent off, I opted for the KDL-55HX820 at $891.

The missing price from my previous post for the NX720 was $644.
post #13785 of 14269
So Sunday night my 50A2000 stopped working. It was flashing the four red light sequence. I pulled the back cover and blew out the bulbs cooling fan no problem.

Once i turned it back on it acted like it was going to come back on, flashing the green standby light for what seemed like a full minute or so then started flashing the five light sequence. Searching around I see people saying that this could be the ballast but 90% of the time is the bulb. Looking at my bulb the filament is still intact but is black in color. Is this a blown bulb? Does anyone have a picture of a blown bulb?
LL
post #13786 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturne0180 View Post

So Sunday night my 50A2000 stopped working. It was flashing the four red light sequence. I pulled the back cover and blew out the bulbs cooling fan no problem.

Once i turned it back on it acted like it was going to come back on, flashing the green standby light for what seemed like a full minute or so then started flashing the five light sequence. Searching around I see people saying that this could be the ballast but 90% of the time is the bulb. Looking at my bulb the filament is still intact but is black in color. Is this a blown bulb? Does anyone have a picture of a blown bulb?

Sometimes you can tell a lamp is gone by looking at it, sometimes not. They fail in a few different ways. It's an arc lamp, and as it is used the arc becomes more and more difficult to both initiate and then sustain. At some point a good ballast will not have the juice to light it.

Sometimes they break internally, sometimes the whole thing shatters.

Because it's an arc lamp you can't test it with a meter.

How many hours on the lamp? If it's about time for it to go, you have to go with the lamp first.

The four-flash is the fan, as you seemed to figure out. That one may come back after you get the lamp running.
post #13787 of 14269
My KDL60EX720 arrived this afternoon. Love the picture. Will have to fine tune it over the next few days.
post #13788 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

Sometimes you can tell a lamp is gone by looking at it, sometimes not. They fail in a few different ways. It's an arc lamp, and as it is used the arc becomes more and more difficult to both initiate and then sustain. At some point a good ballast will not have the juice to light it.

Sometimes they break internally, sometimes the whole thing shatters.

Because it's an arc lamp you can't test it with a meter.

How many hours on the lamp? If it's about time for it to go, you have to go with the lamp first.

The four-flash is the fan, as you seemed to figure out. That one may come back after you get the lamp running.

Yeah ive got a philips bulb on the way so hopefully thatll take car of her. I blew the fan out with compressed air really well so maybe thatll take care of that. Im also gonna do some checking to see if it has the optical block discoloration. Ive definitely been wanting to upgrade to a newer flat screen.
post #13789 of 14269
Had our first issue with the OB a few days ago (after being away for 2 days, tv hadn't been turned on no AC on during that period). Horrendous, not at all subtle yellow blobs over the screen. We took pictures, sent them to sony, got the offers and accepted one, now we need to take a new pic of the tv with event #, problem is the yellow blobs are now quite subtle, having a hard time photographing them. Has anyone had this remitting type of problem with the OB? do you think we're going to have an issue with them accepting the photo? We're thinking of sending along the pictures from a couple of days ago but without the event number as well.
post #13790 of 14269
my set did that, would look fine one minute and then the next minute it was green. was worse when i pulled up my dish network guide, and also worse on SD channels. try different channels or just wait, mine got progresively worse
post #13791 of 14269
Got the new Philips bulb in today Put it in the housing and still getting the five red lights. Any ideas? Also while pulling the housing apart i broke off one of the four guide posts on the front of the housing. Could this be an issue?
post #13792 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturne0180 View Post
Got the new Philips bulb in today Put it in the housing and still getting the five red lights. Any ideas? Also while pulling the housing apart i broke off one of the four guide posts on the front of the housing. Could this be an issue?
Guide posts, not an issue.

With the back of the tv off, look at the lamp connector as it mates with the connector in the lamp hole. Make sure the metal on the pins is clean. Make sure that when the connectors mate, they really mate and don't just push each other out of the way. Those plastic connectors get extremely hot and they can just fall apart from the strain.

Follow the red HV wires to the ballast, make sure they look okay.

In mostly darkness, watch the ballast when someone tries to turn the tv on. Very near to the red HV wires on the ballast there should be a white, small barrel shaped or block shaped device called a spark gap device. If you hear this device sparking/buzzing, and see it giving off a bit of light, that's a sign that HV is present and the ballast is working. The tv (all tvs that use a UHP lamp) will try to light the lamp a certain number of times, (differs by model, between three and five times or so) and each time you should see that spark gap light. If the lamp lights it obviously stops. If it gets to the end of the number of tries, it shuts down and declares a bad lamp.

If you don't see and hear that, then you start testing for voltages on the ballast (380V on the fat black and white wires), and I don't know if you have a meter or feel comfortable getting into that.

If you do see the sparking/buzzing, and there is no problem with the wires to the lamp, then you have to conclude you have another bad lamp.
post #13793 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

Guide posts, not an issue.

With the back of the tv off, look at the lamp connector as it mates with the connector in the lamp hole. Make sure the metal on the pins is clean. Make sure that when the connectors mate, they really mate and don't just push each other out of the way. Those plastic connectors get extremely hot and they can just fall apart from the strain.

Follow the red HV wires to the ballast, make sure they look okay.

In mostly darkness, watch the ballast when someone tries to turn the tv on. Very near to the red HV wires on the ballast there should be a white, small barrel shaped or block shaped device called a spark gap device. If you hear this device sparking/buzzing, and see it giving off a bit of light, that's a sign that HV is present and the ballast is working. The tv (all tvs that use a UHP lamp) will try to light the lamp a certain number of times, (differs by model, between three and five times or so) and each time you should see that spark gap light. If the lamp lights it obviously stops. If it gets to the end of the number of tries, it shuts down and declares a bad lamp.

If you don't see and hear that, then you start testing for voltages on the ballast (380V on the fat black and white wires), and I don't know if you have a meter or feel comfortable getting into that.

If you do see the sparking/buzzing, and there is no problem with the wires to the lamp, then you have to conclude you have another bad lamp.

Yeah....I'm an idiot. I pulled the back off again looking to see if i could see the ballast sparking, and that's when i noticed the plug on the back of the bulb fan that i forgot to plug back in. Works like a champ again.
post #13794 of 14269
Great thread everyone, had to join to say Thanks and try to get my replacement started.

I have a KDS-55A2020 that has had a green 'hue' that can be seen on all inputs and channels. I noticed it during the last NHL season when the white ice looked more like a golf course....I sent in an email today to Sony Listens and I posted a message on the facebook page. I hope I hear back soon and get a decent replacement option. I am happy with the 55" size, so I was wondering about the best replacement option. I was also wondering on the differences between these 2 models, since it seems other have been offered them:
KDL-55HX820 vs. KDL-55HX729
I compared them on the Sony site and the specs were almost the same, so what is the main difference and would the 820 be worth the extra $300, if its offered? Just wondering what people think, or is it better to save money and go for the 729, if offered? Thanks for all the info so far, crossing my fingers....

EDIT: Just realized there is a specific A2020 Thread like 4 pages in, so I will post there.
post #13795 of 14269
A friend of mines is trying to sell his to me. All he says is it needs a new lamp it doesn't turn on. if the lamp is out the tv should have a series of blinking lights or simply wouldn't start?
post #13796 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injected Sin View Post

A friend of mines is trying to sell his to me. All he says is it needs a new lamp it doesn't turn on. if the lamp is out the tv should have a series of blinking lights or simply wouldn't start?

I guess the best plan is to buy a bulb and try it out, if it works then buy it, if not, then the worst thing is you are out a bulb you could just try and resell...just my 2 cents.
post #13797 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injected Sin View Post

A friend of mines is trying to sell his to me. All he says is it needs a new lamp it doesn't turn on. if the lamp is out the tv should have a series of blinking lights or simply wouldn't start?

It should still start but have blinking lights. If it won't power on at all there is something more serious wrong with it. These TVs are so fickle that its not worth losing a friend over if things go bad.
post #13798 of 14269
TV guru's,

I have read many of your posts about problems with several Sony TV's from 2006-2007 and that darn green "hue". I am having the same problem and it is getting progressively worse on my Sony 50KBR1. Lots of you have mentioned calling or Emailing sony and getting the ball rolling about deals they are offering because of this problem. Can one of you be gracious enough to post the process of how we go about getting deals? is there a specific sony 800#, is there an Email address we can send our problem to? I have also read about "Sony Listens", should I contact them first or Email them?

Any advice would be appreciated and let me know any tricks there are to getting the best TV replacement offers. We pay too much for these TVs to have these problems......

Thanks in advance.
Rick
post #13799 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddleD View Post

I guess the best plan is to buy a bulb and try it out, if it works then buy it, if not, then the worst thing is you are out a bulb you could just try and resell...just my 2 cents.

A new bulb costs over $100 and would be an expensive experiment! The best plan would be to get a professional diagnosis (at seller's expense) or avoid it altogether!
post #13800 of 14269
Credit card was charged and I got a tracking number today. My new KDL-55HX820 is on the way!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread