Well, I've now had my KDS-60A2000 since Thursday (3 days now), and I've ran it though a number of tests with the over the air antenna, an Oppo 970 DVD player, and an Xbox 360. I have mostly very positive feelings with this set, but I have noticed a few annoyances (which may or may not bother some of you).
1) First off, to my eyes (not test patterns), it does appear that this set DOES PROPERLY DEINTERLACE 1080i. Solid 1080i content (such as over the air Law and Order HD) is noticeably higher res than 720p content. This is true almost across the board. Both the Xbox 360, and the Oppo 970 looked slightly sharper in 1080i than in 720p (the 360 and Oppo each upscaling lower res images to 1080i, and then the TV deinterlacing to 1080p). If the TV was bobbing, I'd suspect that 1080i would look either the same or inferior to 720, not superior. Note that the best true non-upscaling 1080i content I have seen was Law and Order HD. I do not own an HD-DVD player or BluRay player, nor do I have a graphics card capable of outputting 1080i.
2) This set is plenty bright. When I watch it in my house with the drapes and blinds closed, it is a bit too bright (and I like a bright picture). I was initially worried about how bright the set would be, but now I can confirm IT IS PLENTY BRIGHT for a proper viewing environment, and it is even bright enough when you have the lights on. I think I may even put it in bulb power saving mode when I watch it at night. I'm surprised I'm even considering the power saving mode for anything.
3) The DRC palette is only available with 480i content (this implies that this is DRC 1 not 2 or 2.5). However, many of the nice image enhancement features (detail enhancement, noise reduction, gamma control, etc.) are available without DRC being enabled. For real HQ 720 signal, I would suggest setting detail enhancement to medium. This yields a notably better texture detail on my Xbox 360 in Perfect Dark Zero (low detail enhancement didn't looks as nice, and high detail enhancement looked about the same as medium). Look at the cobblestones on the ground in PDZ desert environments for the benefit of this enhancement. My goal is to only use the features minimally that actually improve PQ.
4) GameMode works in both 480i and 1080i. I run my Xbox 360 in 1080i with GameMode enabled. I do not see any noticeable loss in PQ with GameMode enabled. The Xbox 360 looks a little sharper in 1080i than in 720p. I think it might be slightly smoother in 720p, but the smoothness difference (when testing Burnout Revenge) was negligible, while the resolution difference was noticeable to me. 1080i won out over 720 for the Xbox 360 (which further confirms to me that 1080i is properly deinterlaced).
5) The Oppo 970 upconverted DVDs better than the SXRD. I connected the Oppo 970 via HDMI. I had the Oppo output at 480i (i.e. the raw DVD signal) and had the SXRD DRC 4X algorithm try to up sample it. The image looked sharper when the Oppo up scaled it to 1080i (thus eliminating the need for the SXRD to upscale - it needed only deinterlace). I tried all Oppo resolutions and 1080i looked the best (with the SXRD's default settings). The SXRD's upscaling algorithms do work (and look ok), but the Oppo seemed to beat it at upscaling DVDs (i.e. 480i). The Oppo 971 would likely look even better. I'm borrowing the Oppo right now, but I can see an upscaling DVD player purchase in my near future.
6) You should really consider having a stand that roughly centers the screen to the level your eyes would be. I'm sitting pretty close (about 7 feet 8 inches from my eyes to the screen), and the stand I have it on is 16.5 inches high (yes almost an inch LOWER than the official Sony stand would place it). When seated (eyes centered about 37 inches off the ground) I notice about 2 inches of subtle dimming along the very top of the screen. The screen center is about 39.7 inches off the ground. If I keep this TV, I may have a 15 inch stand built to better center the TV. Certainly, if you sit further away from the TV (like 10 - 12 feet), this would be less of an issue to you. However, I question the wisdom of getting such a tall screen with a 20"+ stand. Those of you putting this set above your fireplaces are doomed to have an inferior brightness uniformity with these types of sets (whether you notice it or not). However, as always ignorance is bliss (sometimes I wish I didn't notice all these subtle things).
7) I have not noticed any GameLag for any games (online or off) in any scenario. I have never tried 480i or 1080i without GameMode on. The set seems to be good enough. However, it should be noted that I have not done any extensive lag testing yet. I've played Halo2 online, PDZ online, and Burnout Revenge offline. When I get a chance, I may try to do some more scientific lag testing, but for now I'll say that things seem OK.
8) The iris options are all in the same menu. Before with the XBR1, you could choose the iris default opening first, and secondly how aggressive the auto iris is. Now you have five fixed iris settings, and two auto iris settings all in the same list. This means that you have far fewer iris setting options than you did in the XBR1s. However, this probably isn't a big deal (since the XBR1 probably had more options than people knew what to do with anyway).
9) The set remembers your settings on a per input basis, but not on a per-input-per-resolution basis (at least in the user menu). This is bothersome. For example, my Xbox 360's 480p DVD player output comes through as brighter than the 720p and 1080i outputs. This means that when I use my calibration DVDs with the 360 (DVD playback is 480p) the settings are the same ones used in the 720p output, and 1080i output. This implies that it is impossible (at least from the user settings menu) to have both proper high-def game calibration, and standard def DVD playback calibration from the Xbox 360. The brightness differences are about 12 SXRD brightness units between the two resolutions on my 360. This is one of the biggest drawbacks I've noticed thus far.
10) Standard def doesn't look that great, but it is manageable (I only have analog cable, so take these words with a grain of salt). I wish I could use my old 32" CRT for standard def, and only bring this out for hidef signals. Alas, life is full of compromises.
11) No green glob. I only really looked for it after it had warmed up for a minute or so. I haven't seen one yet.
12) Blacks are dark, whites are white. This set has great contrast. I'm still playing around with the gamma and iris settings to get the best shadow detail. Definitely look at the gamma options, but use the black fixing options sparingly (if at all).
I may keep this set (50% chance), I may return it and get the 55" (40% chance), or I might buy something else all together (10% chance). Overall it is a solid TV. I am experiencing some eye strain. My current theory is that the set is too bright for my environment, but I also think the amount I need to glance upwards may be influencing the eye strain (get a stand that is the proper height). A primary contributor may be how much I've been using the set over the past few days.
Overall, I highly recommend the a2000 series, but please remember that no technology is perfect across the board. For those of you who are less discriminating than I am, I imagine you would not notice anything at all wrong with the set. I'm very detail-oriented when it comes to expensive technology purchases. I hope this info helps.