or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 232

post #6931 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglerch View Post

... but the point is that 720x480 (DVD) is not the same as 240x480 (VHS) or 330x480 (broadcast TV). Too often people refer to them all as "SD" when they are very different qualities.

True.

I think that I've owned at least one example of every one of them.

I also feel that it is valid to leave out the many levels of distinction found under the label SD if it's going to make an explanation easier to understand from a pragmatic point of view.

In any case, it's worthwhile to also be aware of the distinctions among the SD family.
post #6932 of 14269
One final example of the green faces. This is from CNBC - a SD station. Look at the cheeks area.
LL
post #6933 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I also feel that it is valid to leave out the many levels of distinction found under the label SD if it's going to make an explanation easier to understand from a pragmatic point of view.

Absolutely. The only reason I brought it up in the first place was that many people reviewing their A2000 SD quality say "SD good", "SD bad", "SD average". But depending on which SD they are viewing (DVD, TV, Sat, Cable) there may be a reason other than the A2000 SD capabilities.
post #6934 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglerch View Post

The only reason I brought it up in the first place was that many people reviewing their A2000 SD quality say "SD good", "SD bad", "SD average". But depending on which SD they are viewing (DVD, TV, Sat, Cable) there may be a reason other than the A2000 SD capabilities.

A very good reason.
post #6935 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcran View Post

Just noticed the green face effect on ESPN HD. Decided to show a picture - attached. (The blurriness is just my unsteadiness - not the TV.)


I have the same problem that you have on my 55A2000. Please check out my previous comments regarding the green tinge on this A2000 owner's thread #6662 and #6873.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ge#post8980897
post #6936 of 14269
Based on a number of reviews and some recent good pricing, I have been looking at the 50A2000. However, I have been flat out unimpressed with this set in person, seen at both local SonyStyle and CC. For example, this weekend I was watching the ESPN-HD college FB feed, and an upconverted DVD and the picture was dark, almost muddy, and soft. I have seen the "film-like" look of RP described, but honestly, my Westy 32" LCD to my eyes looks far superior all the time to what I saw on this set.

I am going to be watching mostly HD sports, sourced via a very good quality cable source thru clear QAM (my provider doesn't encrypt) and probably a fair amount of SD for awhile. I have no intentions of doing HTPC, gaming, HD-DVD, etc.

So, can someone who owns and watches the same material from similar sources convince me otherwise that I should keep considering this set? (or what else might I look at, in the 47-50" range?)
post #6937 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripz View Post

(or what else might I look at, in the 47-50" range?)

There are LCD flat panels in that size range.
post #6938 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclements3 View Post

You got the 360 CORE for FREE??????? Good for you! The sales MGR at the CompUsa said that the 360's were only free for UNADVERTISED TVs though I tried to show him that the Ad was titled "UNADVERTISED Offers". Complete idiot. I finally did get him agree to sell me the xbox premium package for 150 off (250 + tax).

It drove me nuts that the compusa Sales staff aren't even aware of their own sales!

Yeah...they didn't know about this "Unadvertised Offer" out here at the Honolulu store either. I was lucky, and ran into another guy shopping for the exact same set who had printed out both the website and the e-mail offer. When presented with the printed offer, they salesman had no problems in marking the price down to $1999. We also both got the Core Xbox 360 because the CompUSA manager agreed that the $1999 price on the A2000 was not an Advertised Special and was an Unadvertised Offer. So we got two of the six available 60A2000s and the only two Core Xbox 360s they had left in the store......

I found a stand the next day at BB for under $230 and it looks great! Can't believe the PQ and my little son loves watching Cars, Ice Age, etc..... Now I'm looking for an upconverting DVD player to see how much of an improvement that makes over the standard DVD. The SD quality from our standard cable feed looks great from anything beyond 4-5 feet. Closer than that and it becomes grainy...but hey, you're not supposed to watch a 60" from 4 feet away anyhoo!!
post #6939 of 14269
QUESTION for A2000 + Oppo 971 owners: What res do you output from your Oppo?

For me 720p is smoother, but 1080i is a bit sharper.

Opinions?
post #6940 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1920x1080 View Post

Try searching the Video Processors Forum; I've seen a few posts that included the A2000, but I do not remember the Crystalio2/A2000 combination specifically (from what I've read about the C2, I don't see how you could go wrong though)...See the 2nd post here: KDS-XXA2000 Tweaks Thread; more settings and adjustments are scattered throughout the thread--search for posts by Googer for starters...

Thanks indeed. I got lost by all the posts here.
post #6941 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutyafal View Post

I've spent an hour vatching a few DVDs and taking some pictures of the two sets I have side by side and this is exactly what I've noticed too. I call it the "5 o'clock (green) shadow" because I found it most noticable on parts of the face that are darker like having a prominent afternoon stubble. I have no idea how and why the Sony does this but it's clear as daylight when you look at the reference screen right next to it which in this case is a Panny PX6U. I wouldn't call it the "green blob" as that problem was mostly on one part of the screen. This seems to be a color rendering artifact.

Unfortunately, it's awful difficult to capture it on camera. I've attached the best one I managed to take.

Interesting. I see green on both Televisions! Anyone else notice this too?
post #6942 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fosse View Post

Holtzd,

I did not see this broadcast but have the same green tinge problem that you have. See my posting of #6662 and follow up replies. I have had my set ISF calibrated and while my A2000 looks stunning on many broadcasts, the green face tinge problem shows up on my broadcasts on various channels. I had my ISF calibrator come back out to check it out. He showed me my problem with a green tinge with the gray scale on my A2000 at 40% brightness. He could not get a perfect gray scale (white) at this level but tweaked it more towards red to rid the green tinge. I had a still image from a recording on my DRV of this green tinge to illustrate this problem to him. He was able to get most of the green tinge out (especially with the beard stubbles on the face---FOX's Dr House). Now I have a slight shift towards red but it has greatly helped the green tinge problem but not completely solved it. My ISF calibrator has seen this problem on a number of Sony SXRDs and says that it is not isolated to mine. I don't know if this problem varies with individual samples of the A2000 and/or if some of us owners are more sensitive to it. I am having another ISF calibrator who knows the Sony SXRD very well come out in several weeks to look at my set. I'll let you know the outcome.

Anyway I really love the PQ post calibration of the A2000 but this green tinge problem still bothers me. One person (kutyafal) had 3 different HDTVs home and tuned to the same broadcasts (all different brands including a 57" Mitsu 732, a 50" Panny plasma, and the A2000). He only saw the green tinge problem on the A2000 so it was going back. He posted on the A2000s owners thread about this. This green tinge face problem appears to be an artifact on at least some of the Sony SXRDs.


Bob, thanks for your Diligence in updating us with your progress on the matter. I look forward to hearing what the other ISF tech has to say about this issue. Also Bob, do you have any other color uniformity (green showing up on an all grey screen)?

I am also experiencing this green tinge on faces occasional (as well as other minor color uniformity issues). Most of the time I dont notice it unless I am doing critical viewing, so its not a huge issue for me at this point. I originally thought it was part of my minor uniformity issue, but it appears there is more to it then that.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone here that is 100% positive that they ARE NOT affected by the green tinge face issue? If so please let us know... Just wondering if there is hope to fix this issue by maybe getting the TV swapped with a new one.

Thanks!
post #6943 of 14269
I've had my 55A2000 for a couple of weeks now and I'm very happy with it, especially after applying many of the settings I found on this forum and using the Avia DVD. But there's one thing I don;t understand and not sure iof it's specific to the TV or just a general issue - Why is that when watching a DVD I get narrow black borders at the top and bottom of the screen?

My DVD player is set to output to a 16:9 display and I have tried all the different screen width settings on the TV. Manufacturers in general, not just Sony, make a big deal about 16:9 being the aspect ratio used in movie theatres, so why don't DVD's take up the whole screen area available to them?

I guess it doesn't help that I couldn;t find a single DVD in Blockbuster that mentioned 16:9 as it's screen format. I saw "Anamorphic widescreen", 2.35:1, 1.85:1, 1.78:1,even weird words about the DVD having been reformatted for use on a widescreen TV, but nothing that claimed to be 16:9.

Pete
post #6944 of 14269
HEY..

I got my KDS50A2000 only 2 weeks ago, I was having problems with a green tinge at the bottom left corner.... at first it was alright but like most AV people it started driving me nuts. The place where I Bought it (Futureshop) wont fix the problem and even if they did the process would be just ridiculous........ so its a no go.

But the fix I did come up with (which kinda sucks but im not really complaining) solves that sorta..... they didnt have the 50" models left in the warehouse... so I couldnt do an exact change over, so I paid the extra cash and got the 60"!

So now in 2 days they are coming to pick up the old one, drop off the new one and the new stand that comes with it!

Anyone have these stands? How are they? I need it kinda because my old one wont hold this new tv. Iam really bummed but even more excited!!!

Ill report in with that, the thing that actually sucks the most is that I gotta get the Calibrator back.
post #6945 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaworth View Post

I've had my 55A2000 for a couple of weeks now and I'm very happy with it, especially after applying many of the settings I found on this forum and using the Avia DVD. But there's one thing I don;t understand and not sure iof it's specific to the TV or just a general issue - Why is that when watching a DVD I get narrow black borders at the top and bottom of the screen?

My DVD player is set to output to a 16:9 display and I have tried all the different screen width settings on the TV. Manufacturers in general, not just Sony, make a big deal about 16:9 being the aspect ratio used in movie theatres, so why don't DVD's take up the whole screen area available to them?

I guess it doesn't help that I couldn;t find a single DVD in Blockbuster that mentioned 16:9 as it's screen format. I saw "Anamorphic widescreen", 2.35:1, 1.85:1, 1.78:1,even weird words about the DVD having been reformatted for use on a widescreen TV, but nothing that claimed to be 16:9.

Pete

If you divide 16/9 then you get 1.7777 which is 1.78:1 as format. 1.85:1 is a little wider and generally used in 35mm films screening. 2.35:1 is even wider and used when the filmmaker used super35mm filming, which is more open in the proportions. As specially in adventure movies the wider proportions give a better room feeling of the scene, directors and DPs prefer to use them. Normal dramas or comedies are shoot more in the 1.85:1 proportion. But this is not a rule, only a kind of usus.
post #6946 of 14269
Hey,
This message is for Hue who is having trouble with his SA8300HD box. I read through some of your messages as I was researching this TV for my brother.

I noticed you asking if there is a way to set your TV to default start on channel 411. If you press "settings" twice on your remote you will get to the "general settings" menu then scroll until you see "Viewer: Power On" that is where you can set a channel to default to when powering on.

Incidentally, my brother is leaning towards the KDS60A2000, but he also has the SA8300HD box. With the problems you are having Hue, would you still recommend this TV to someone with the SA cable box?

Jmac
post #6947 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac35 View Post

Hey,
This message is for Hue who is having trouble with his SA8300HD box. I read through some of your messages as I was researching this TV for my brother.

I noticed you asking if there is a way to set your TV to default start on channel 411. If you press "settings" twice on your remote you will get to the "general settings" menu then scroll until you see "Viewer: Power On" that is where you can set a channel to default to when powering on.

Incidentally, my brother is leaning towards the KDS60A2000, but he also has the SA8300HD box. With the problems you are having Hue, would you still recommend this TV to someone with the SA cable box?

Jmac


While Cnet and reports from here say that SD isnt the best on these HDTVs.... after my own calibration and after ISF Calibtration SDTV looked pretty good in my opinion.
post #6948 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post

Bob, thanks for your Diligence in updating us with your progress on the matter. I look forward to hearing what the other ISF tech has to say about this issue. Also Bob, do you have any other color uniformity (green showing up on an all grey screen)?

I am also experiencing this green tinge on faces occasional (as well as other minor color uniformity issues). Most of the time I dont notice it unless I am doing critical viewing, so its not a huge issue for me at this point. I originally thought it was part of my minor uniformity issue, but it appears there is more to it then that.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone here that is 100% positive that they ARE NOT affected by the green tinge face issue? If so please let us know... Just wondering if there is hope to fix this issue by maybe getting the TV swapped with a new one.

Thanks!

I see the green tinge on faces sometimes as well. Seems to be source related as much as the fault of the set itself. I did find that backing off the green gain and bias a bit on the white balance settings in CUSTOM mode seems to reduce the issue. I notice this same issue on most tv's at stores, the gym, hotels etc though. It's quite common. I am more annoyed at the greenish tint in the middle, and violet tint around the top of my screen for the first 30-60 minutes the set is on. One day I am pissed enough to call for service, and the next day I think 'it's not that bad' and am afraid to call for fear of what a mess they might make of it.
post #6949 of 14269
Does anyone have the official stand that came with their 55" or 60" ??

I got the stand with the new 60" (both are not here for another 48 hours) but I dont know how big the shelving part is... I want to be able to fit my Toshiba HD-A1 and the Reciever in there with no problems. If anyone knows if the HD-A1 fits in there, or how big the shleves are.. I guess how high they are.. .that would be great.
post #6950 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post

So over all reaction? Defenitly worth it and Iam very pleased with the results. A few hours later after he drove back home he sent me via email a before and after Adobe PDF file that showed how it was, then how it looked after. Everything was in line and looking great on paper, and it looked that way on the display too.
... hey.. Im happy about it.

Who did your calibration and can you share the pdf?
post #6951 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post

Who did your calibration and can you share the pdf?


Micheal Chen did it.... very awesome job too! I can post the PDF results tonight. But I replaced my 50" with a 60" A2000 and he is calibrating it this weekend, so I can post both!
post #6952 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

I see the green tinge on faces sometimes as well. Seems to be source related as much as the fault of the set itself. I did find that backing off the green gain and bias a bit on the white balance settings in CUSTOM mode seems to reduce the issue. I notice this same issue on most tv's at stores, the gym, hotels etc though. It's quite common. I am more annoyed at the greenish tint in the middle, and violet tint around the top of my screen for the first 30-60 minutes the set is on. One day I am pissed enough to call for service, and the next day I think 'it's not that bad' and am afraid to call for fear of what a mess they might make of it.

HHAAHAA I am in the same boat as you, but I am not too worried about getting it fixed and them breaking something, as I am sure if you get it repaired 3 times they will just replace the set as it costs them so much money to constantly send out repair people, you know. Alan I think your Color Uniformity issues are a little worse then mine. I think getting your OB may do you some good. I only see the "blob" for like 5 minutes. Then I notice the CU issues on a grey screen but very RARELY when watching content. The green face thing actually annoys me more now, because that is something that I notice. I just dont think there is a perfect TV to get at this point. The Sony is the best one out there right now IMO, so I will live with its imperfections for now I guess, and then just cash in when my warranty is near its end to get the latest TV.
post #6953 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post

...Out of curiosity, is there anyone here that is 100% positive that they ARE NOT affected by the green tinge face issue? ...

I haven't seen it yet; in case it helps reveal a pattern, here are the relevant parts of my setup:
  • September-build 60A2000
  • TiVo Series 3, native passthough via HDMI
  • Sony DVP-S7000 DVD player via component
  • Color matrix set to custom with default mappings (480i/p set to 601, rest set to 709)
  • Black level, white level, saturation and hue set with DVE and InHD Tune-Up
  • Grayscale set with SpyderTV at 20 and 100 IRE on component input, copied settings to HDMI input, then eyeballed with InHD white level test pattern
post #6954 of 14269
i have a september build 55a2000 with both the green face and green blob issues. i'm trying to decide whether the green blob is a big enough issue for me to call sony service

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1920x1080 View Post

I haven't seen it yet; in case it helps reveal a pattern, here are the relevant parts of my setup:
  • September-build 60A2000
  • TiVo Series 3, native passthough via HDMI
  • Sony DVP-S7000 DVD player via component
  • Color matrix set to custom with default mappings (480i/p set to 601, rest set to 709)
  • Black level, white level, saturation and hue set with DVE and InHD Tune-Up
  • Grayscale set with SpyderTV at 20 and 100 IRE on component input, copied settings to HDMI input, then eyeballed with InHD white level test pattern
post #6955 of 14269
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post

Does anyone have the official stand that came with their 55" or 60" ??

I got the stand with the new 60" (both are not here for another 48 hours) but I dont know how big the shelving part is... I want to be able to fit my Toshiba HD-A1 and the Reciever in there with no problems. If anyone knows if the HD-A1 fits in there, or how big the shleves are.. I guess how high they are.. .that would be great.



Here are the measurements.

Space between top and 1st glass shelf = 5.5"
Space between first glass shelf and 2nd glass shelf = 7.5"

The glass shelves are 48" wide in the front but taper in the back so you can't use the full 48" without components hanging over.

I've had my 60" a2000 about a week and it is a November build.

No problems whatsoever and no green haze at all....It's Fantastic!
post #6956 of 14269
Thanks for the info on screen ratios, I think I understand it now.

On a completely separate issue, of interest to anyone with any sort of home theatre setup, take a look at the following link:

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2006/11/h...gulations.html
post #6957 of 14269
Please tell me that this is a bad joke
post #6958 of 14269
If you read all the stories att that site, you soon discover that someone has a great sense of parady humor. Very, very funny. Especially the hd-dvd with 0 conent to prevent any piracy.

Shelly
post #6959 of 14269
I am considering exchanging my Samsung HLS-6188W (pincushion, etc. long story) for a KDS60A2000. When I sift through the thread, there is a lot of talk about having a green blob/tint, which isn't reassuring. With the KDS-R60XBR2, will that tv exhibit the same thing?
Cnet says that the XBR2 and the KDSA2000 are the same basic tv besides bulb, extra HDMI input, etc so does that mean they have the same screen and tech used to produce picture and possible green blob?
post #6960 of 14269
Im also interested in getting the 55a2000 the day after tommorow but i dont know if its really worth it cause i have 2 questions that have yet to be answered...

The distance i will be watching is 2.5 meters and i will be watching almost 2-3 hours per day. Will there be a problem with that ? Mostly with my eyes.....

Also is the radiation a big factor with this screen ?

Oh and im also getting a samsung HD-DVD 960 along with the TV.
Has anyone something else to propose ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › The Official Sony 2006 KDS-(XX)A2000 [NO PRICE TALK] SXRD Owner's Thread