or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony 40" KDL-40V2500 and 46" KDL-46V2500 HDTV Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony 40" KDL-40V2500 and 46" KDL-46V2500 HDTV Thread - Page 179

post #5341 of 5357
I've tried a search but had no luck (I'm sure it's here somewhere) and there is also nothing in the manual, nice... I've tried Sony support too, and that was laughable. Can anyone tell me whcih if the multitude of holes on the back of a 40v2500 are for wall mounting brackets?

There are no less than 7 on each side that look like they could possibly be used. Three of these are unused so I am assuming it's likely going to be these that are supposed to be used, but which ones? How does one tell?

Also, I notice one of the scews tht is used, for what I don't know, sticks out past the case of the TV and interferes with the bracket regardless of which holes are used to mount the bracket. I don't know if these can be removed or not but from what I can tell they have to be or the bracket won't sit flush to the tv.

Thx
post #5342 of 5357
a
post #5343 of 5357
I am purchasing a Sony HT-CT100 Home Theatre System which supports Bravia Sync, allowing operation of the TV through the HTS. My Sony KDL-40V2500 does not support Bravia Sync. Is there some way to upgrade the firmware or something to allow that support?

Thanks!

Randy
post #5344 of 5357
Hello all,

I have the Sony 40" KDL 40V2500 television. My problem I have encountered is that whenever I play a BluRay, it plays on 480p. I know this television is 1080p capable but I've spent a long time trying to figure out how to get it to 1080p and I've had no success.

My BluRay player is a Sony and it's connected by an HDMI cable. It's a good cable, gold plated, but I couldn't tell you what the make is.

My question is... what do I have to do to enable 1080p on this television? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ryan Hall
post #5345 of 5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanghall View Post

Hello all,

I have the Sony 40" KDL 40V2500 television. My problem I have encountered is that whenever I play a BluRay, it plays on 480p. I know this television is 1080p capable but I've spent a long time trying to figure out how to get it to 1080p and I've had no success.

My BluRay player is a Sony and it's connected by an HDMI cable. It's a good cable, gold plated, but I couldn't tell you what the make is.

My question is... what do I have to do to enable 1080p on this television? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ryan Hall

There is nothing to enable on the TV, because it can only output in 1080P. I assume everything seems OK with other sources, which means something is happening at the blu-ray player end causing it to send a 480p signal. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that a blu-ray player could even downconvert to 480p.

There may be a menu setting in the blu-ray player where you have to tell it what resolutions your TV is capable of (i.e. 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p). It's possible that only 480p is checked. It's a longshot, but give it a try. There are experts here that I'm sure could figure this out, but this thread is rarely visited any more.
post #5346 of 5357
Yes, a Blu-Ray player can be set up to output almost any resolution. You definitely need to set it to 1080p 60Hz. The KDLxxV25 series cannot support the native 1080p 24Hz of Blu-ray discs, so you need to turn off the 24Hz output option.

Gary
post #5347 of 5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSB View Post

Yes, a Blu-Ray player can be set up to output almost any resolution. You definitely need to set it to 1080p 60Hz. The KDLxxV25 series cannot support the native 1080p 24Hz of Blu-ray discs, so you need to turn off the 24Hz output option.

Gary

Is that true on PS3, also? How do I change to 60Hz on the PS3 if that is the case? I ask because my Planet Earth BD does not come across as well as I expected -the picture seems to have some ghosting. Minor, but noticeable. Thank you.
Bill
post #5348 of 5357
HELP !

I'm thinking of buying the Sony KDL 46V2500 used for $550 on CL. And I've read 10 pages of this very OLD thread, and I'm still confused as to weather this TV is a 100% 1080p native resolution!

HELP inform me, because I don't want to get a fake-1080p screen for 2010's PS3 material!

Thank you very much, and sorry for bumping a 272 day old thread
post #5349 of 5357
I've owned this TV set, since it came out, I think at least two years ago. It's a great set, and it is full HD 1080p native resolution.

I highly recommend it, although I would spend some time looking at newer models, I think with 550 you could get a nice deal on a better TV set.

anyway hope this helps.
post #5350 of 5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayez View Post

I've owned this TV set, since it came out, I think at least two years ago. It's a great set, and it is full HD 1080p native resolution.

I highly recommend it, although I would spend some time looking at newer models, I think with 550 you could get a nice deal on a better TV set.

anyway hope this helps.

Yes, thank you very much Fayez! Could you please enlighten me about noticeable response-time issues? I'm a hardcore FPS Xbox gamer, and although the Xbox doesn't output 1080p for 99% of its content, I still want the picture to be crisp and clear (as possible) when I'm quickly turning left or right in Call of Duty or Halo. How does the 8ms response time feel to you ? Do things look 'smeary' (if you even play games on it)?

Any additional notes would be excellent! I actually went out and took a look at the TV today, and it has no clouding issues, and seems to be in excellent condition. What would you pay for this TV in 2010, seeing as how it was built in 2006 (or was it 2007 )?

Response times are a huge deal for me (being a big gamer), so any input on that would be vastly helpful. I own a Samsung from 2007 that has a 8ms response time, and I don't have any problem with it; and I know Sony/Sammy both used the same LCD panels for a while, but your input (and others) would be greatly appreciated!

Fayez (and other owners), since you are a owner of the TV, please imagine that your V2500 broke today, and the only option of a new TV was to get the exact same TV: at what price would you buy a used Sony KDL 46" V2500 (in today's 2010 LCD market)? It appears to be in mint condition and has only had one owner.

Thank you very much
post #5351 of 5357
I'm a hardcore gamer as well, only I'm a PS3 person, I hate XBOX (no offense). I've played my fair share of Halo, don't get me wrong, but I've been a loyal sony playstation fan for quite some time now.

The 8 ms response time was one of the highlights of this TV set when it came out, I know that's not the best you can find right now, but I can assure you, you won't have any problems when playing video games. I've been playing SOCOM series, as well as the Call of Duty (modern warfare, then world at war, and currently Modern Warfare 2) Black Ops is coming out soon though...

The cloudiness issue is nonsense, I can tell you that you could see the clouds, if you have a trained eye, but when you are in an input (video 1, 2 or anyone you like) that has no signal coming to it. You'll never see any cloudiness on cable, dvd, blu ray, or a video game, only when you turn off your PS3, you might see some traces of white, but not a big deal if you ask me.

One thing I do recommend though, is spending some time calibrating the TV. I picked off some ideas in this thread, from other TV and PS3 owners. It can make a huge difference if you set the TV to your specific needs, such as gaming, and there is not any perfect setting, just go through trial and error until you like what you are seeing.

The only trouble I had with the TV, was not being able to see OTA HD channels, and it's fairly easy to scan for them, you just have to make sure, that you have antenna instead of cable in the settings.
post #5352 of 5357
...Believe me I have a trained eye (I was starting at his TV for ~20 mins adjusting its settings; I bet he thought I was insane)! When I looked at his TV I brought my PS3, and I did adjust his settings to "Full Pixels" (or whatever it was called to get all the 1080p pixels on the screen). ...Anyway, I played Avatar and I adjusted TV's brightness/backlight and contrast, and was quite happy with it overall (despite the color looking different than I'm used to, but I didn't spend much time on the color), and did not see clouding in any black areas of the TV (I was using HDMI input #6, with the PS3 set to 1080p). ...Just a quick question, when we're talking about "clouding" we're not talking about "bloom" right (where bright areas bleed into dark areas - I didn't see any bloom either TV looks solid).

But my question still stands, what should I offer to pay him since my experience with the TV is very limited? Just assume your TV broke today and money isn't an issue for you and all you want to do is get a replacement TV - what would you pay to replace it with a used model (assuming you were 100% dedicated on getting the exact same TV; taking into account the quality and price of current 2010 LCDs with ~equal features).
post #5353 of 5357
Well, all I can tell you, is that I can get a better TV with 1/3 of what I paid for back in (June) 2007 when I got it. Since I got it here in Mexico, I did pay a little extra back then it cost a little over 2 grand. So 500 bucks is not that bad when you look at it that way. But just check any walmart or target store, even at a bestbuy store, and you could probably get a better TV for that kind of money...

Some people might freak out, but what I've seen, and it's just my personal opinion, you can get a 720p (no full HD) TV but a newer model for a cheaper price, and your HD gaming is still going to look great, I know 1080p looks great, but not all people can tell the difference from 720p to 1080p, specially since a lot of games still use only 720p, so just make sure you want to get a used (very old) 40" TV for that kind of money, or you want to go with a newer higher dynamic contrast ratio and maybe even 6ms response time, without the full HD part.

think about it
post #5354 of 5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN99 View Post

I've tried a search but had no luck (I'm sure it's here somewhere) and there is also nothing in the manual, nice... I've tried Sony support too, and that was laughable. Can anyone tell me whcih if the multitude of holes on the back of a 40v2500 are for wall mounting brackets?

There are no less than 7 on each side that look like they could possibly be used. Three of these are unused so I am assuming it's likely going to be these that are supposed to be used, but which ones? How does one tell?

Also, I notice one of the scews tht is used, for what I don't know, sticks out past the case of the TV and interferes with the bracket regardless of which holes are used to mount the bracket. I don't know if these can be removed or not but from what I can tell they have to be or the bracket won't sit flush to the tv.

Thx

All the holes are for different brackets that are made. If the bracket doesn't sit flush against the back then you have to use the provided spacers. The spacers make the bracket sit tight but about a 1/4 in off the tv itself. You just have to look through the manual for the bracket and see what hardware to use for your tv. You WILL have a TON of extra hardware and it's only because every tv is different and they try to make the brackets universal. Hopefully that helps.
post #5355 of 5357
How do I set up my Sky box (which I've got connected via HMDI (AV4) to automatically come on when the Sky box is powered up. Currently, I need to cycle through the AV channels to get to AV4 for it to display but I'd like it so that when I power the Sky box on it automatically 'tunes' to AV4 - is this possible?
post #5356 of 5357
I still have this tv and it is still the best tv in my home. Despite being the oldest, the picture is just awesome
post #5357 of 5357
I agree with you. My TV continues to perform excellently.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony 40" KDL-40V2500 and 46" KDL-46V2500 HDTV Thread