or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Owners ONLY thread - >>>KDS-A2000's<<< - Settings/Tweaks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Owners ONLY thread - >>>KDS-A2000's<<< - Settings/Tweaks - Page 100

post #2971 of 3250
With a rear projection TV you are doing a crapshoot using other peoples settings or trying to eyeball a calibration.

Take the time to learn how to do your own calibration. All it takes is a laptop, a sensor and free software, and a little bit of time on your part.

The final results are well worth the effort. Every RPTV is different and settings that are dialed right in for one set will be way off for another TV.
post #2972 of 3250
Man I found my settings for life....LOL....I'm stoked, My friend told me to use VIVID an long time ago and I said nah, I was using this guys settings called AVbill at avs forums, and Man I set my set up to Vivid yesterday for both my cable box and PS3 and it look freaking incredible.... I played NCAA and man O man it looked like it did in the stores crisp clean and just beautiful. I will list the settings below if you wanna try them. I watched 2 NFL games on these settings and I was just so happy, It's like I got a new TV...
I was grateful for some of your guys tweaks, but these are just the best man, well for at least.

VIVID is awesome. When playing the PS3 too, WOW.....




Picture
Picture Mode - Vivid
Advanced Iris - Auto 1
Picture - 95
Brightness - 55
Color - 40
Hue - 0
Color Temp. - Neutral
Sharpness - 10
Noise Reduction - Low



Setup
Game - Mode Off
Color Matrix - Standard
Power Saving - On (My bulb is over year and a half old,but I still keep it on)
Cooling Mode- Normal
post #2973 of 3250
Vivid is bad. You are now seeing things no where near what they are supposed to look like. Turn off vivid and calibrate it properly.
post #2974 of 3250
I agree but was going to let it slide. Vivid jacks up the blue palette and turns on sharpening, DNR, etc.

At first blush, because the human eye finds the color blue attractive, it might look better to you, but I can assure you that if your set was properly calibrated it would look a heck of a lot better than the vivid setting.
post #2975 of 3250
If he likes vivid, let him use that setting. Enjoyment gets lost on AVS sometimes. It should be about what looks good to you, not what is supposed to look good.
post #2976 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by assasyn View Post

If he likes vivid, let him use that setting. Enjoyment gets lost on AVS sometimes. It should be about what looks good to you, not what is supposed to look good.

I think the point of this forum is to help people get the best from their sets. While he is welcome to view his set however is most appealing to him, it would be wrong to imply to others that vivid is accurate or able to deliver the best image our sets are capable of. Personally, I feel the time and effort I invested in learning to use test patterns to set my grey scale, contrast, and brightness properly, then adjusting the color saturation were rewarding and have yeilded a far more pleasing viewing experience across a broad range of content from multiple sources. And, I thank those on this forum who helped guide me to and thru that process.
post #2977 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post

I think the point of this forum is to help people get the best from their sets. While he is welcome to view his set however is most appealing to him, it would be wrong to imply to others that vivid is accurate or able to deliver the best image our sets are capable of. Personally, I feel the time and effort I invested in learning to use test patterns to set my grey scale, contrast, and brightness properly, then adjusting the color saturation were rewarding and have yeilded a far more pleasing viewing experience across a broad range of content from multiple sources. And, I thank those on this forum who helped guide me to and thru that process.

would you be willing to share your settings. VIVID just looks so clear and crisp then anything I have ever used. If Vivid was so bad then why would be an option to use? Anyway can you share what you have and I will give it a shot.
post #2978 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballforever View Post

would you be willing to share your settings. VIVID just looks so clear and crisp then anything I have ever used. If Vivid was so bad then why would be an option to use? Anyway can you share what you have and I will give it a shot.

Vivid is mostly there for use on the showroom floor where the sets are sitting side by side trying to grab your attention - the colors are oversaturated. Others on this forum know a lot more about it than I do and could explain further.

I've posted info on how I went about adjusting my grey scale and colors multiple times in the past as well as having posted the spread sheet I made with ALL the service menu settings. If you search my past posts you can find this information. I definately recommend that you do a grey scale adjustment specific to your set and not just try someone else's settings. As you've already noted, you've tried that previously and been frustrated by the results. Each set is somewhat different, so, you really need to work through the process to get the right settings.

You can find the spreadsheet on message 1616. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...26#post9217326
post #2979 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post

Vivid is mostly there for use on the showroom floor where the sets are sitting side by side trying to grab your attention - the colors are oversaturated. Others on this forum know a lot more about it than I do and could explain further.

I've posted info on how I went about adjusting my grey scale and colors multiple times in the past as well as having posted the spread sheet I made with ALL the service menu settings. If you search my past posts you can find this information. I definately recommend that you do a grey scale adjustment specific to your set and not just try someone else's settings. As you've already noted, you've tried that previously and been frustrated by the results. Each set is somewhat different, so, you really need to work through the process to get the right settings.

You can find the spreadsheet on message 1616. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...26#post9217326

Jim, I set all my settings to what your using and honestly, not in gay way I love you man, your settings rock, the only thing is, I have a PS3 and I want the best settings I can get, in your chart you don't have anything listed about any game system hooked up, I have IO cable from cable vision and I have it hooked up through HDMI and it looks great so far. Since I have my PS3 hooked through HDMI can I use the same settings you have listed for your DVR cable box? Also I just ordered two NEW HDMI cable from monoprice but there 1.3, will I have any issues using them on my cable box and PS3 with this set?


Again thanks Jim.

One more Things, I notice that I have some dust in the back where the fan is, is there any recommended ideas on how to clean out the Set from dust?
post #2980 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballforever View Post

Jim, I set all my settings to what your using and honestly, not in gay way I love you man, your settings rock, ...
Again thanks Jim.

Unless you also went into the service menu and adjusted your RGB GAIN/BIAS and a few other things, you really don't have the same settings I do, and, even if you did, there is no assurance they are the best settings for your set. Sorry to rain on your parade, but, the right way to do this is:

1) Set all user settings to normal then adjust color to zero (B&W)
2) Go into the service menu, and set up the IRE graduated bars test pattern
3) Adjust brightness and contrast (picture) so all the bars are distinct from the background and each other with the darkest one almost fading into the black background.
4) Still in the SM adjust RGB gain & bias to make all the grey true shades of grey (to pure white) - this is to set the overall color balance of the set to be true
5) Turn off internal test pattern and display an IRE graduated bar test pattern from each of your sources, setting the User RGB Gain/Bias to get true grey for each source
6) Turn the color back up until flesh tones look natural

This is probably an over simplification but it is generally the process.

On the other hand - if you are happy with how it looks now - great - enjoy it.

Regarding the PS2, it has a dvd player right? So you can put a dvd with test patterns in it and do your grey scale adjustment with that.

Another tip - go back and read posts by DaveHancock and UMR - those guys really know what they are talking about relative to setting this set up to get the very best out of it.
post #2981 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballforever View Post

Jim, I set all my settings to what your using and honestly, not in gay way I love you man, your settings rock, the only thing is, I have a PS3 and I want the best settings I can get, in your chart you don't have anything listed about any game system hooked up, I have IO cable from cable vision and I have it hooked up through HDMI and it looks great so far. Since I have my PS3 hooked through HDMI can I use the same settings you have listed for your DVR cable box? Also I just ordered two NEW HDMI cable from monoprice but there 1.3, will I have any issues using them on my cable box and PS3 with this set?


Again thanks Jim.

One more Things, I notice that I have some dust in the back where the fan is, is there any recommended ideas on how to clean out the Set from dust?

You need to burn the free test disc in AVCHD for your PS3 which has all of the test patterns to adjust the set. You can find this disc (AVS Test Disc), as well as free calibration software in the calibration forum here at AVS. You will want to set the color type on the calibration software to 709 for HD.

You will need a sensor to really do calibration on your set, but you can get a pretty good sensor for around $100. Small change compared to what was spent on these TVs.

As others have mentioned, every one of these sets is unique and there is a LOT of variation in them. The settings for one persons TV is not going to look right on a different TV. This is part of the nature of projection systems.
post #2982 of 3250
Well guys, I think you so much for your help, but all this going back and forth with settings and I have found my own a dn they look better then anything I have used from users hear....I looked through the manual thoroughly and I came away with these settings and I the most happy I have been with my picture EVER. The best mode I believe is standard mode and that's what the Manual recommends.

My Settings, I use these for my HD Cable Box and my PS3 and couldn;t be any happier since owning the set for a 1 1/2.


Setup
Game Mode = Off (I have this on for my PS3 settings, if it says game mode I'm using in when playing my games, thats what it;s for.)

Picture
Picture Mode = Standard
Advanced Iris = Auto 1
Picture = Max
Brightness = 53
Color = 51
Hue = 0
Color Temp = Neutral
Sharpness = 30
Noise Reduction = Low

Advanced Settings
There are none for Standard mode, and that's how I like it, I don;t have to worry about playing with a hundred settings. Guys I swear my picture is just awesome now.
post #2983 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballforever View Post

Well guys, I think you so much for your help, but all this going back and forth with settings and I have found my own a dn they look better then anything I have used from users hear....I looked through the manual thoroughly and I came away with these settings and I the most happy I have been with my picture EVER. The best mode I believe is standard mode and that's what the Manual recommends.

My Settings, I use these for my HD Cable Box and my PS3 and couldn;t be any happier since owning the set for a 1 1/2.


Setup
Game Mode = Off (I have this on for my PS3 settings, if it says game mode I'm using in when playing my games, thats what it;s for.)

Picture
Picture Mode = Standard
Advanced Iris = Auto 1
Picture = Max
Brightness = 53
Color = 51
Hue = 0
Color Temp = Neutral
Sharpness = 30
Noise Reduction = Low

Advanced Settings
There are none for Standard mode, and that's how I like it, I don;t have to worry about playing with a hundred settings. Guys I swear my picture is just awesome now.

Your funny, are these really really really your final settings?
post #2984 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballforever View Post

Well guys, I think you so much for your help, but all this going back and forth with settings and I have found my own a dn they look better then anything I have used from users hear....I looked through the manual thoroughly and I came away with these settings and I the most happy I have been with my picture EVER. The best mode I believe is standard mode and that's what the Manual recommends.

My Settings, I use these for my HD Cable Box and my PS3 and couldn;t be any happier since owning the set for a 1 1/2.


Setup
Game Mode = Off (I have this on for my PS3 settings, if it says game mode I'm using in when playing my games, thats what it;s for.)

Picture
Picture Mode = Standard
Advanced Iris = Auto 1
Picture = Max
Brightness = 53
Color = 51
Hue = 0
Color Temp = Neutral
Sharpness = 30
Noise Reduction = Low

Advanced Settings
There are none for Standard mode, and that's how I like it, I don;t have to worry about playing with a hundred settings. Guys I swear my picture is just awesome now.

Look, all we're telling you is that the best settings that you've gotten EVER are not as good as what you can get with a meter.

You can't calibrate your TV correctly with your eyeball any more than you can properly tune a piano without a tuning fork.
post #2985 of 3250
If one were to buy the calibrator, how does it work exactly? I have seen some that look like they plug into the computer, does the program tell you the necessary adjustments that need to be made, or does it simply read what it is seeing then the user has to interpret it and make the adjustments?
post #2986 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolkid1935 View Post

If one were to buy the calibrator, how does it work exactly? I have seen some that look like they plug into the computer, does the program tell you the necessary adjustments that need to be made, or does it simply read what it is seeing then the user has to interpret it and make the adjustments?

Weird, as I thought I posted a response, but don't see it now.

In any event, the calibration forum has stickies that provide tutorials on how to use free software tools to do the calibration. The software needs to be loaded onto a laptop and you need to provide a compatible USB connected sensor to take the readings.

There is lots of info on doing this in the calibration forum as well as people who will help you with getting things debugged if you run into problems.

For the less adventurous out there you can hire someone to do a calibration. These guys (even the cheap ones) will be using much higher quality gear than what most are willing to purchase (a typical test rig and software is $5,000).

Even a budget calibration is going to provide far better results than what you can do fiddling around with the controls and going by eye. The human brain prefers the color blue and different people perceive things differently. The only way to get a proper calibration is to do it with tools and sensors that are impartial.

When calibration is being done you can always ask for the calibrator to pump up the brightness, give it a bit of a red boost, etc, if that's your thing. They will shoot for accuracy but you can insist on an inaccurate picture if you think it looks better.
post #2987 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

Your funny, are these really really really your final settings?

Um Yeah, looks so much better then what I have used from others on here , a lot better. Other after watching my TV with these settings and Playing my PS3, I;m kicking myself for not using them earlier, also even the manual says that the Set should be used in Standard mode for home entertainment. My set looks great right now.
post #2988 of 3250
Guys, does MY set support HDMI Full and Super White?
post #2989 of 3250
I have often wondered that, and I suspect not. Whenever I set the range to full on the PS3 or my 360, it seems as if the image is too dark, way too dark.
post #2990 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballforever View Post

Guys, does MY set support HDMI Full and Super White?

Assuming you are talking about the PS3, set Superwhite to on and RGB to "limited". RGB "full" is for when the PS3 is hooked to a computer monitor (it's a bad name for an option because you don't lose anything by setting "limited", it just needs to match the RGB range that the TV/Monitor is expecting).
post #2991 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis View Post

Assuming you are talking about the PS3, set Superwhite to on and RGB to "limited". RGB "full" is for when the PS3 is hooked to a computer monitor (it's a bad name for an option because you don't lose anything by setting "limited", it just needs to match the RGB range that the TV/Monitor is expecting).

Thanks.

So this set does super white.
post #2992 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballforever View Post

Thanks.

So this set does super white.

Yes
post #2993 of 3250
sorry, another question, I have been seeing a bit more of a screen door effect on my set as of late, does this mean anything, or just could it be the channels I'm watching.
post #2994 of 3250
SXRDs don't exhibit screen door effect (unless you're viewing from a foot away). It must be something else, maybe macroblocking from less than perfect sources.
post #2995 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

SXRDs don't exhibit screen door effect (unless you're viewing from a foot away). It must be something else, maybe macroblocking from less than perfect sources.

you mean maybe my cable box.
post #2996 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballforever View Post

you mean maybe my cable box.

The cable box itself might have nothing to do with it. It could just be how compressed the signal is from the cable company.
post #2997 of 3250
I get blocking in HD & SD programs received via DirecTV and even OTA. Its definitely not SDE. Its overcompression by the providers.
post #2998 of 3250
Heres a question for you guys I would appreciate any help with, I have a kds 55-a2000 out of warrenty and no help from sony, I recently noticed the green haze and now the only thing the tv is good for is watching spongebob does anyone have any good setting ideas (service menu or user menu) that might counter the green haze, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #2999 of 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by KALSIDHU View Post

Heres a question for you guys I would appreciate any help with, I have a kds 55-a2000 out of warrenty and no help from sony, I recently noticed the green haze and now the only thing the tv is good for is watching spongebob does anyone have any good setting ideas (service menu or user menu) that might counter the green haze, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There is nothing you can do with the settings of the TV that can overcome this problem if you have it. You need to have the light engine replaced. The light engine is supposed to be warrantied for 2 yrs so you should still be covered. If you call Sony mention to them that they extended the warranty on these TVs due to defective light engines and you expect them to make this right.

If all other avenues fail you can check with local shops to see if you can get a light engine at a reduced price. Out of warranty it's usually a $1500 repair which would make the set completely worthless.
post #3000 of 3250
I thought the 2 year warrenty only applied to the 50 and 60 inch sets not the 55a2000 i have. I wont get the set repaired out of pocket for $1500, for that amount of money I'll just buy a new set. I just wanted to make the set bearable to watch until the bulb blew out then I would just replace the tv. thanks for the help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Owners ONLY thread - >>>KDS-A2000's<<< - Settings/Tweaks