Originally Posted by MENDEN
Ed, Thanks for the info. I upgraded my Musica to firmware 2.3.18 without any issue. However, the problems I had with WPA and the internet radio still remain (WEP is working fine). But at least I know now that I'm not alone on the internet radio problem. I also finally finished browsing the past posts in this forum, and found lots of useful info. Thank you in particular for experimenting other versions of firmware from Hifidelio!
You're more than welcome. I love to try out new things, and am a sucker for new, untried stuff. It definitely gets me into trouble sometimes, but I can usually wiggle out of it somehow.
As I said, I'm currently running 2.3.21 on my 2 Musicas and 1 Symphony (I know, very sick puppy) without any problems. But, since I never was able to find out what was different from .18 to .21 I don't recommend it to anyone else. It still doesn't fix internet radio. :-(
One thing some might find interesting is an experiment I tried last week. My trusty old Musica - the one in which I upgraded the hard drive to 500GB - started having a problem with the display getting darker. Then the jog/shuttle wheel started "sticking" so you had to manually turn it back to center every once in a while. Then, the last straw, I removed the analog output interconnects and the "gold" contacts pulled right off the built-in connector! None of these problems prevented me from using the Musica, but I started to hunt for a replacement - as some of you know. Besides, the old Musica was silver, and the only silver unit in my whole Hi-fi setup, so I wanted a black one.
I found a 160 GB black Musica in like-new condition, and bought it. Here's where the fun started. I wanted to put the 500GB drive from my old unit into the new, but I figured that I would have to do an HD reset on both drives and re-load all of my music - many, many hours worth of work. So, I took the 160 GB drive out of the new one and put it into the old one. I then ran the HD reset program, and to my amazement, when I restarted it booted up perfectly, and my library showed up completely intact! I couldn't believe it! So, I put the 500GB drive into the new Musica, did the HD reset, and voila! - all my music was immediately available. No re-loading required!
I doubt that too many of you will be swapping hard drives from one Olive to another, but if you ever need to do it at least you'll know that it does work without a complete re-load of your music.