or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › Very Happy With BFLF - Thanks MMan/PB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Very Happy With BFLF - Thanks MMan/PB - Page 3

post #61 of 154
Thanks mynym! Just one more request...can you hang the samples as flat as possible? Please and thanks.
post #62 of 154
Hey, your screen looks great! While I agree with the need for the on axis shot, something other than animation, and the materials as flat as possible, I think from these you can clearly see a difference. Nice work. And do it on *your* timetable ... life is always more important than forum time. Just know that there are people getting schooled from your examples. Like me ... the noob on the block.
post #63 of 154
Nice shots. Some shots from lord of the rings (daytime and night shots) or the matrix would be nice if possible.
post #64 of 154
Hmmm, from those pics it looks like nothing works worth a fiddlers fuk in ambient light.
post #65 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

The screen can help some but the only real solution is to reduce the ambient light. There's no way around it.


Thems the facts jack
post #66 of 154
Thanks for the pics mynym .

I just wanted you to twist your projector a quarter inch to the left then try to take the same focussed straight on shots of the same screen shots you originally did . I was hoping you would do this and show us how great your screen is over the wall !!
Too bad your screen is not that great other wise you would have jumped at the challenge to REALLY show off your new screen directly compared to your wall .

Bruce

The fact that you did not do a straight on comparison of half wall and the screen in the same shot should show newbies all they need to know.
post #67 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce can View Post

Too bad your screen is not that great other wise you would have jumped at the challenge to REALLY show off your new screen directly compared to your wall .

Bruce


Bruce, why do you always have to be so negative? He obviously has a nice screen and is quite happy with it. We all want better screenshots, but you should respect people if you want to be respected back.
post #68 of 154
Thread Starter 
If it means anything I was born and raised in Ontario too!
post #69 of 154
Quote:


Bruce, why do you always have to be so negative? He obviously has a nice screen and is quite happy with it. We all want better screenshots, but you should respect people if you want to be respected back.

I guess it sounded a little harsh I am usually having a little fun and come off sounding more blunt and pissed than I really am .

Dog didn't you get a painted Black flame in the LA clinic ?


Mynym I do not really care that much , but if you are showing off the screen again with some pics an easy to do shot that really gives a good example of great an ambient screen is over a wall is to project half the image on the wall. People then cannot blame exposure or other camera attributes to the screen shot comparisons from different pictures .
Mynym if you really don't want to do any more comparisons tell me to *&^% off . I will get not offended .


Bruce
post #70 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce can View Post

Dog didn't you get a painted Black flame in the LA clinic ?

Yup. Got me a big ol' BFLF at the LA clinic. I was interested to see how other non LF BFs performed.

I like my screen, but it is not quite what I expected. Still very decent though.

~D~
post #71 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogllama View Post

Yup. Got me a big ol' BFLF at the LA clinic. I was interested to see how other non LF BFs performed.

I like my screen, but it is not quite what I expected. Still very decent though.

~D~

Dogllama - Just curious, what about the BFLF was not what you expected?
post #72 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post

Dogllama - Just curious, what about the BFLF was not what you expected?

The ambient light performance was really talked up. I do think that for the price of construction, BFLF peforms admirably in aimbient conditions, but I was expecting much more. I'm running the AE900 with 100 inch image at around 13 feet. btw.
post #73 of 154
Thread Starter 
Got some pics?

Was it painted on a mirror or the acrylic substrate?
post #74 of 154
Nice comparison, from the pics it looks pretty good. Probably the best way to compare them would be to get all the different screen materials stick them to a thin carton and hang it over one half of you screen and then take pictures from the front.
post #75 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym View Post

Got some pics?

Was it painted on a mirror or the acrylic substrate?

Here are the pics I took about a week after I put it up.

http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser/7524790

It is painted by MM on an 1/8 inch acrylic mirror.
post #76 of 154
Are the pics with a light on or is it sunlight? (What time of the day were these taken?)
post #77 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbassett View Post

Are the pics with a light on or is it sunlight? (What time of the day were these taken?)


light. night time.
post #78 of 154
Hey DOG,

How you been...long time.

Glad to see you still have your screen, you do right? I too have mine still.

I am not going to put down my screen as it serves me well. I was the host of the LA Clinic and did expect better ambient light performance; however, other than going to a much higher priced true black screen it does very well compared to things like a FireHawk. With that said, I have removed a couple of my track lights and pointed them away from the screen and onto the side walls and now I can have plenty of light and better performance on the screen for watching HD sports and TV. But honestly movie watching for me is only acceptable in the dark....I suppose you could watch one of those nice colorful CGI animated flics in some light but beyond that your wasting your time.

With that said, I am going to buy the new Panasonic PT-AX100U and my thought is that once I throw up 1500 to 1800 lumens up on that 122" BFLF I will be able to have my 4 track lights up all the way and have a very punchy picture for watching HD sports and general TV watching. Again, I still say movie watching will be done in the dark, but then again I am lucky enough to have a dedicated room with good light control so I can do that.
post #79 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangc View Post

With that said, I am going to buy the new Panasonic PT-AX100U and my thought is that once I throw up 1500 to 1800 lumens up on that 122" BFLF I will be able to have my 4 track lights up all the way and have a very punchy picture for watching HD sports and general TV watching. Again, I still say movie watching will be done in the dark, but then again I am lucky enough to have a dedicated room with good light control so I can do that.

Good to hear from you DangC, I feel the same way, but I sacrifice quality for lighting when watching TV or playing vid games with friends. Playing in the dark is just too dreary sometimes.

The PT-AX100 looks nice. Proj.Cen. gave it an amazing review, but if I were you I'd wait until the PT-AE1000 comes out since it will be natvie 1920x1080 instead of a 1280x720 upres.
post #80 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogllama View Post

Good to hear from you DangC, I feel the same way, but I sacrifice quality for lighting when watching TV or playing vid games with friends. Playing in the dark is just too dreary sometimes.

The PT-AX100 looks nice. Proj.Cen. gave it an amazing review, but if I were you I'd wait until the PT-AE1000 comes out since it will be natvie 1920x1080 instead of a 1280x720 upres.

I was honestly all set to go the 1080P route this time but once the PT-AX100 came out I changed my tune. The reason I did this was because honestly I need light more than anything else and since none of the new 1080Ps are going to give me light I decided to buy this new nice bright new 720 for about $1500 to $2000 less than the 1080Ps and wait and see if any brighter 1080Ps will come out that will work with my setup.

The improvements I wanted were:

1. more lumens (122" grey screen needs more light)
2. less noise at min. required brightness (have to run in high mode all the time with no dynamic IRIS, actually IRIS wide open via service menu tweak)
3. Less SDE
4. 1080P would be nice but honestly I have seen for instance a Ruby in my house on my screen and it was not bright enough....I would have to change screens to higher gain screen. Also going to 1080P from 720P is not as big and improvement as you think...it is there with good 1080 source material but not night and day. Biggest difference is reduced SDE and very good shadow detail, two stregnths to SXRD in general.

I figure I will get 3 of the improvements I want and I think the extra lumens will make the biggest improvement for me (more so than 1080P). I am hoping that this projector will be a big hit and they will come out with a 1080P with the same number of lumens. If not I will wait for 1080P DLP to fall in price and buy something like the upcoming Benq W10000 for movie watching in the dark and keep the AX100 for day time viewing and standard TV shows etc.
post #81 of 154
Go Dan!

I'm already looking to replace 1 of the PJs I'm currently using in my Home Show (Z4) with a Panny by this weekend. That machine is made to order for BFLF and BF-Board/Wall applications, and I expect "glowing' reveiws.

I'm sure it will make mucho difference as far as your current situation is concerned.

Good luck!
post #82 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangc View Post

I was honestly all set to go the 1080P route this time but once the PT-AX100 came out I changed my tune. The reason I did this was because honestly I need light more than anything else and since none of the new 1080Ps are going to give me light I decided to buy this new nice bright new 720 for about $1500 to $2000 less than the 1080Ps and wait and see if any brighter 1080Ps will come out that will work with my setup.


I can't say I blame you. I just took a look at the lumens for AE1000 and you're right, its a lot less than the AX100.

Bummer, I was really hoping that it would be brighter.

I was planning on getting the PS3, so I think 1080P would be worth it for me since both the video games and Blu-Ray would be 1920x1080 native. I know it's hard to see a diff between 720P and 1080P, but when you are sitting as close as I am to your screen, you can definitely see the diff.

I wonder if the lower lumen outputs from the projector make a big difference for the BFLFs? I mean there has to be enough light to penetrate the paint going to the mirror, then again bouncing back through right?

So maybe the reason why our screens ambient performance is mediocre compared to expectations is because of lumen output compared to paint penetration. Just a thought.

~D~
post #83 of 154
D,

maybe. but then again maybe the culprit is you two guys have the very first of the BF screens to be made. much has been improved. the screens have gotten lighter without the use of upw (which might be causing some of your washout) and of course brighter... and with that... increases in gain and contrast do make a difference. i'm getting excellent results without the use of an acrylic mirror... or light fusion as we currently know it. of course, mm would say that what works great without an acrylic mirror can only work better with it.

right now, i'm testing using a viewsonic cine1000 in low mode... or about 425 lumens as tested by projector central.

next up will be a hitachi txj1000 LCD at a manufacturer rating of 1200.
post #84 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

maybe the culprit is you two guys have the very first of the BF screens to be made. much has been improved. the screens have gotten lighter without the use of upw (which might be causing some of your washout) and of course brighter... and with that... increases in gain and contrast do make a difference.

possibly, but I'd like to see some screen comparisons between the old mix and the new mix before I'd agree with this.

if you'd be willing to send me a sample pane, I'd love to put it up next to my screen and snap a few pics. what do you think?
post #85 of 154
i'll try to do that soon. i've got a couple of things on my plate right now... such as newborn twins and fixing up a foreclosed home... but please pm me your address and i'll try and get a couple of samples to you.

...oh and i'm also working on a new ambient screen prototype.
post #86 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

i'll try to do that soon. i've got a couple of things on my plate right now... such as newborn twins and fixing up a foreclosed home... but please pm me your address and i'll try and get a couple of samples to you.

...oh and i'm also working on a new ambient screen prototype.


Yes, I imagine you do have your hands full right now. Congratulations on the twins!

I'll PM you my address. And if anybody else wants me to put up samples or snap photos of something when I do this test, just let me know and I'll do my best to accomodate.

Can't wait to here about the new ambient screen prototype...
post #87 of 154
Hi all,

My PT-AX100 will be here tomorrow.

I will try to do some before and after pics to show the difference in performance between my Sony HS51 and new PT-AX100 under the same conditions, ambient light, and camera f-stop and shutter speed.
post #88 of 154
Quote:


...oh and i'm also working on a new ambient screen prototype.

That is good news . Is it a Diy formula or do we have to buy it ?

Bruce
post #89 of 154
Bruce,

it's not so much a paint formula as it is a design concept i've been wanting to try... which is sorta why i'm calling it a prototype. actually, i'm not even sure it will even work!? for now though, i prefer to sorta keep it to myself so as not to be ridiculed for even thinking of trying such a crazy idea. i will say that should it have any promise that probably very few folks in the DIY community will not even attempt it... and secondly, because it won't be a cheap off the shelf paint mix solution... you will actually have to build it. but then again, given the fever of the rgb, wilsonart, and smx folks... i won't put it past them.

...actually, i was sorta hoping my slip up would go away without anyone noticing.
post #90 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Go Dan!

I'm already looking to replace 1 of the PJs I'm currently using in my Home Show (Z4) with a Panny by this weekend. That machine is made to order for BFLF and BF-Board/Wall applications, and I expect "glowing' reveiws.

I'm sure it will make mucho difference as far as your current situation is concerned.

Good luck!

MM, sent you a PM....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › Very Happy With BFLF - Thanks MMan/PB