or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › FYI: New URC policy on MX series....no updates...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FYI: New URC policy on MX series....no updates... - Page 17  

post #481 of 508
If anyone here is in a predicament due to the new URC policy, please email me.
post #482 of 508
Ummm.. caveat emptor.

I wonder if some sleazeball is going to try and class action this.. it might work for them. (Points up)

I have used Harmony remotes. Congrats to those who converted. They work. I don't like them. They are cheap feeling and the new remotes are getting worse.
The peanut remotes were nice - 659, 676, 680, 880, 890, and 1000.

Then again I don't care for the 900 either. Give me the 850 with a better color screen.

Why does it matter if Ebay dealers are gone, yet online guys like (sorry) Mike from SurfRemoteControl just knock down the price. What's the point?

Do all of you guys have jobs anywhere? How do you waste so much time arguing?
post #483 of 508
Johnla,

You've completely missed the point. If you need to service your car, you do not call Michigan, nor take it to Michigan; that's the point. You go to the place you bought the car from; or, in some places, any place that services your Ford. Not Michigan.

Point is, go to the place you bought your remote from.

HT Nut,

In the time it took you to go to small claims, you could probably sweat your vendor enough so maybe you could get Live Update.

Thomas,

I'm not arguing, but everyone else is! LOL
post #484 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa

You've completely missed the point. If you need to service your car, you do not call Michigan, nor take it to Michigan; that's the point. You go to the place you bought the car from; or, in some places, any place that services your Ford. Not Michigan.

Point is, go to the place you bought your remote from.
NO, you have no POINT! And again, you even COMPLETELY missed the point! And you even just said so! The car has MANY options for repair and service, and not just as you mistakenly said "in some places, any place that services your Ford" because there are a hell of a lot more than only a few Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealers around, and not just "some". The remote does not, and I sure do doubt that you as a CI, actually do any form of actual circuit "repairs" on any physically defective remotes, and no just exchanging them for another is NOT a repair! Also the car dealers are a franchise of the car manufacture, and in some rare cases the car dealership is even owned and operated by the manufacture, but either way they both have a direct connection to the manufacture. You CI's and other people that are selling the remotes are not, you are not a franchise of URC or owned by URIC, and you also do not have any real direct connection with URC other than you sell some of their products. You are simply nothing more than a reseller! Plus a little more info for you, yes you CAN call Ford up in Michigan and talk to them, and even get some support and also even technical information, if you know the right phone numbers to call. But why in the hell would anyone 2000 or 3000 miles away from Michigan, even want to take their cars back to Dearborn just to have something like a starter motor replaced under warranty? And I sure as hell don't see anyone wanting to send their remotes back to the factory in China that assembles them for URC, to have anything done to them. So again, your reasoning is totally flawed. But hey, that's nothing new for you!
post #485 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa

You've completely missed the point. If you need to service your car, you do not call Michigan, nor take it to Michigan; that's the point. You go to the place you bought the car from; or, in some places, any place that services your Ford. Not Michigan.

Point is, go to the place you bought your remote from.
NO, you have no POINT! And again, you even COMPLETELY missed the point! And you even just said so! The car has MANY options for repair and service, and not just as you mistakenly said "in some places, any place that services your Ford". There are a hell of a lot more than only just a few Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealers around. The remote does not, and I sure do doubt that you as a CI, actually do any form of actual circuit "repairs" on any physically defective remotes, and no just exchanging them for another is NOT a repair! Also the car dealers are a franchise of the car manufacture, and in some rare cases the car dealership is even owned and operated by the manufacture, but either way they both have a direct connection to the manufacture. You CI's and other people that are selling the remotes are not, you are not a franchise of URC or owned by URIC, and you also do not have any real direct connection with URC other than you sell some of their products. You are simply nothing more than a reseller! Plus a little more info for you, yes you CAN call Ford up in Michigan and talk to them, and even get some support and also even technical information, if you know the right phone numbers to call. But why in the hell would anyone 2000 or 3000 miles away from Michigan, even want to take their cars back to Dearborn just to have something like a starter motor replaced under warranty? And I sure as hell don't see anyone wanting to send their remotes back to the factory in China that assembles them for URC, to have anything done to them. So again, your reasoning is totally flawed. But hey, that's nothing new for you!
post #486 of 508
I don't really see a problem with URC, being th owner of a couple of MX700 a MX850 and a 250
extender. All you do is buy them from an authorized dealer. I got mine from Pro Remotes for a great price. Just call them and see if they got a deal going. Got mine for a 30% discount off of list and they sent all the data for the programing.
post #487 of 508
BP,

Why should I sweat anyone but URC? They made the dumb decision. I don't get mad, I get even.

1/4 pony,

When did you buy these remotes? I got mine in January 2005.
post #488 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut
BP,

Why should I sweat anyone but URC? They made the dumb decision. I don't get mad, I get even.

1/4 pony,

When did you buy these remotes? I got mine in January 2005.
Whatever IDIOT made the decision to SCREW their existing customers and future victims should be fired. While greed fits in somewhere here, it's a feeble attempt to make certain dealers and installers feel that they can overcharge their customers who they "think" will have no other choice but to pay an inflated price. :mad:

How come AMX and Crestron (or even Extron) doesn't feel it's necessary to "lockout" customers from their updates and technical information? Because those companies know that the "average" customer either can't, won't or doesn't have the time or patience to program their own system and merely wants to read the information (which in most cases is greek to them).

For the potential new customers of URC I say, there are OTHER companies just waiting to take your money and who don't pull that crap.

For the existing customers who were summarily locked out with NO warning after years of it being supplied with no problem, all I can say is it's REALLY POOR BUSINESS SENSE, which I'm sure will translate to their bottom line in the long run.

In addition, if there is one thing I've learned, the laws from state to state in this country are as varied as some of the fools that write them, but, this practice is probably in violation of the law in some states.

And for the rest of you, all I can say is: I__S M E L L__C L A S S__A C T I O N! :p :D :p
post #489 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimnifnof
Well as I'm finishing up my home theater I have been in the market for a good remote for awhile. The MX700 was at the top of my list and I could have gotten it at a good price from an authorized distributor.

But my concern was dealing with all these software issues and this new ridiculous self serving policy of URC. Even though I could have gotten the 'latest' version of the software, what's to keep them from changing their minds again in the future? What kind of support will I get from them down the road? Some big if's there that turned me off.

Unfortunately for URC, I ended up with a Harmony, programmed it, thoroughly enjoying it and not doubting my decision one bit. Thanks to URC's misguidedness for directing me to the Harmony's. ;)

You're off to a good start! If you need any help, just ask. ;)

I told all my customers that if there was any problem that I couldn't take care of, I would give them a comparable Pronto (or better) fully programmed at my cost.

Until URC pulled this nonsense, when a customer asked why their remotes were so much more than all the others (that could do essentially the same thing), I would say it was a professional product. I guess I wasn't lying, because they NO LONGER want any "consumers" on their website. :rolleyes:


Someday someone will say, what was the name of that company that used to make those professional remotes? :D .......It's on the tip of my tongue. :)
post #490 of 508
Sorry all, this thread really has now gone past the topic at hand and has gone into an issue of members fighting members. We will not let this continue and will remind you that accounts can be suspended or banned for such abuse.

Keep it in check. Only warning.

Thank you.
post #491 of 508
Yes, well, uh...

All comparisons to Ford and SHOUTING aside, this still comes to channel control, not feeble attempts to 'screw people' or create an environment where CI's feel empowered to screw their customers. That's pure hyperbole not based in reality.

In the end, all that's happened is that; you have to get support from the place you bought the remote from, and URC will still provide SW, although without Live Update.

Most people won't need Live Update; should you need to update, you have to uninstall your current app and reinstall the newest app, if there's even an available update.

I think URC, CI's, and end users will net sum benefit, though there were many that were inconvenienced in this transitional period. It's too bad many think it's all based in greed or negative influences perpetrated by other groups, although that makes for good foible.
post #492 of 508
No matter how you try to spin it, it's still pretty much a policy based on greed. If you buy a retail box of WinXP at a place like Best Buy, you don't see Microsoft making you have to go back to Best Buy to get WinXP product support, or for any of the new service packs that Microsoft may come out with after you bought it.
post #493 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa
In the end, all that's happened is that; you have to get support from the place you bought the remote from, and URC will still provide SW, although without Live Update.

It shouldn't be the purchaser's responsibility to have to determine who IS and who ISN'T and "authorized dealer". Do you think companies like Buy.com are stealing them off a truck?


Quote:
Most people won't need Live Update; should you need to update, you have to uninstall your current app and reinstall the newest app, if there's even an available update. .

Can I tell all MY customers that BIGPAPA says they can go ahead and buy that MX-3000 because they won't ever need Live Update, because BIGPAPA is going to check all the new code for bugs BEFORE the product is released to the public. Do you have a phone number at URC where people can reach you if they have a problem? I think not. :rolleyes:


Quote:
I think URC, CI's, and end users will net sum benefit, though there were many that were inconvenienced in this transitional period. It's too bad many think it's all based in greed or negative influences perpetrated by other groups, although that makes for good foible.
The ONLY people who "might" benefit are "some" CI's, since the end user doesn't play into this at all.....except to be held hostage by some CI's. ;)
post #494 of 508
There is absolutely no way, that any end users will benefit from this.
post #495 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla
No matter how you try to spin it, it's still pretty much a policy based on greed.
Why is it that you think I'm 'spinning' it?

If this was based purely on greed, URC would likely push all MX remotes on every store shelf it could, as well as every website it could. It's clear this isn't happening because most vendors online, will have 5 of this model, and 4 of this model, but not the entire product line. I was in a larger market BB last weekend, and of all their URC remotes they offered, they only had two MX650's. There's not a consistent product offering with all these outlets. I would think there would be if they're just trying to move boxes.

Likewise, they'd probably go the Pronto route and completely abandon call-in tech support. And abandon CI protection too.

The Greed story just doesn't add up, and all supportive evidence is anecdotal.
post #496 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa
Why is it that you think I'm 'spinning' it?

If this was based purely on greed, URC would likely push all MX remotes on every store shelf it could, as well as every website it could. It's clear this isn't happening because most vendors online, will have 5 of this model, and 4 of this model, but not the entire product line. I was in a larger market BB last weekend, and of all their URC remotes they offered, they only had two MX650's. There's not a consistent product offering with all these outlets. I would think there would be if they're just trying to move boxes.

Likewise, they'd probably go the Pronto route and completely abandon call-in tech support. And abandon CI protection too.

The Greed story just doesn't add up, and all supportive evidence is anecdotal.
Me thinks thou dust protest too much. :p
post #497 of 508
Oh it adds up all right, if you do the math correctly.
And your comment about being worried about "CI protection", pretty much even proves that.
post #498 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla
Oh it adds up all right, if you do the math correctly.
And your comment about being worried about "CI protection", pretty much even proves that.
He's just telling the truth when he say CI protection. :) I'm a CI, but why is it that I don't need any protection? :confused:

If a CI wants (or needs) protection, they should just DO THEIR JOB properly and they'll find they don't need protection.
post #499 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
It shouldn't be the purchaser's responsibility to have to determine who IS and who ISN'T and "authorized dealer".
It shouldn't? What about all the other manufacturers the make the same requirement for their products, including projectors, displays, AV equipment... etc.

Why is URC expected to play by a different set of rules?


Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
Can I tell all MY customers that BIGPAPA says they can go ahead and buy that MX-3000 because they won't ever....
I never said 'ever.' I said unlikely, for most people. Quite making things up.... and SHOUTING. I can hear you quite fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
The ONLY people who "might" benefit are "some" CI's, since the end user doesn't play into this at all.....except to be held hostage by some CI's. ;)
Totally disagree. This theory doesn't hold up well with the 'greed' theory though, since net sum URC might acutally sell less MX remotes.
post #500 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
Me thinks thou dust protest too much. :p
At least I'm not SHOUTING LOL.
post #501 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla
Oh it adds up all right, if you do the math correctly.
And your comment about being worried about "CI protection", pretty much even proves that.
Protection is a term that most here like to call it, I should have put in into parenthesis because it's not a proper term it's one of the hyperbolically loaded terms being thrown about. I'm not worried about protection at all, and nowhere in my statement does it mean that. You're just imagining it.

I was being facetious by using the term. But, I'm sure hay will be made of it in leiu of discussing URC policy :D
post #502 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa
I'm not worried about protection at all, and nowhere in my statement does it mean that. You're just imagining it.
Well I did not imagine it at all, because you did say it.

From http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8573522

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa
go the Pronto route and completely abandon call-in tech support. And abandon CI protection too.
post #503 of 508
Well, you know what? I give up, now you want to try and change what you said or what it means after you are questioned about statements that you do make. It looks like all you really want to here, is intentionally have people argue with you, just like at remotecentral. Have fun..... But I'm with what David Bott said, and it's not worth it to argue with you.
post #504 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla
It looks like all you really want to here, is intentionally have people argue with you, just like at remotecentral. Have fun..... But I'm with what David Bott said, and it's not worth it to argue with you.
So why have you been doing it for umpteen pages?
post #505 of 508
Jeez...
Is this still going on with you guys...
This is really, really getting old.
This thread has become useless.
post #506 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ
So why have you been doing it for umpteen pages?
And why are you even asking now?
post #507 of 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaByte
This thread has become useless.
Considering it was a thread that was started mainly to complain about a policy change at URC, that's not really surprising. Because it's very unlikely that it was ever going to do much to convince URC to change their minds about the policy change. And those resellers and CI's who back them making such a move, thinking it's good for some reason, are not going to change either.
post #508 of 508
Ok, even with the note above it is still going the same way. As such, this thread has outlived it use and went from a topic of interest, to a topic of attacks.

Regretfully the thread is now closed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Remote Control Area
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › FYI: New URC policy on MX series....no updates...