or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony 40",46" XBR2, XBR3 - Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony 40",46" XBR2, XBR3 - Owner's Thread - Page 102

post #3031 of 3414
i placed my order for my 40BXR2 on amazon on jan 30 when it was temporarily 2200 bucks.

should i be suspicious? did anyone else bit on this deal? anyone even order one of these from amazon recently? i'm hoping everything's ok with it, whether it's clouding, or just because it was sitting in the stupid freight warehouse since saturday in this freezing midwest state (that place BETTER be heated) and the whitegloves are finally going to be brining it to me tommorow.
post #3032 of 3414
Thanks a lot guys, I apprecaite the help.

Is the component better than VGA cables? Also, have they said anything about fixing the problem and being able to use component on the 46? And lastly, does it really make that much of a difference? Is it noticeable?

My understanding is the TV will always up convert to 1080p. Thanks!
post #3033 of 3414
spincut - I bought a floor model in Dec for $1900, and I saw new ones in the showroom as low as $2499 at that time. $2200 including shipping would surprise me a little. $2200 plus shipping for a perfectly good, unopened set would not surprise me starting about now.
post #3034 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd599 View Post

Thanks a lot guys, I apprecaite the help.

Is the component better than VGA cables? Also, have they said anything about fixing the problem and being able to use component on the 46? And lastly, does it really make that much of a difference? Is it noticeable?

My understanding is the TV will always up convert to 1080p. Thanks!

I assume you are talking about the 360. For games, it doesnt really matter since *NONE* of the 360 games are native 1080p. The only "benefit" you'll have with components is access to the DRC functions and color controls. For movies, however, IMHO VGA is better as its the only way to get 1080p from HD-DVD (limited to 1080i for component). I'm not sure where you heard about a "fix" for allowing 1080p over compinent for the 46. Some have speculated that since the 52" can accept 1080p component that the 40/46" "should" be able to via a fw fix, however, this is purely conjecture at this point. I actually think it looks better over VGA. My main reason for having mine hooked up with VGA is for the native 1080p for HD-DVD's, some people think the VGA pic is "Washed out" compared to what you can do via component. However, most of the time these people are just cranking the bejesus outta the color setting to get a "WOW" factor (aka OMFGBESTBUYFLOORSETTINGSMYEYESAREBLEEDING), which frankly looks quite stupid. (Do you watch movies in "Vivid" mode to get a "WOW" factor? -- No because it looks like trash ) In any event, its a subjective decision - different people will tell you different things, in the end, you'll be the one who has to decide if it looks better or not to your own eye.
post #3035 of 3414
Hi guys, noob here with a 46xbr3 and I'm trying to hook up my 360 to the TV via the VGA cable. I can change the resolution seting on the 360 to 1920x1080 but then I get a little box on the lower right hand corner that said "unsupported signal, check your PC output"... what am I doing wrong? TIA.
post #3036 of 3414
Well that was a long break from AVS - almost a whole day!

I have a question about the audio outputs on the TV itself.

Do the RCA Fixed/Variable or optical outs pass Dolby 5.1? Like if I run everything into the TV's inputs, and just run the RCA's and/or the optical outs from the TV to a receiver, will I get surround from the DVD player, TiVo, (Eventually the PS3), etc.?

My new TV has better connectivity that my 12 year old receiver, so this might work for me. My wife and I like using the TV sound for most viewing. And she likes to use everything without powering up the whole set-up when I'm not around.
post #3037 of 3414
Just read this up on X-S

"Following yesterday's news that Sega's March 20 release of Virtua Tennis 3 would herald the first Xbox 360 game to feature native 1080p support, a representative from Electronic Arts has revealed to Gamasutra that its upcoming NBA Street Homecourt, shipping a month earlier on February 20, will also support the high end resolution on Xbox 360."

Be interesting to see how NBA Street looks @ native 1080p on component vs VGA. I can't wait to see how a native 1080p 360 game looks on here.
post #3038 of 3414
sudofre, did you download the latest updates from xbox live that enable 1080p
post #3039 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_K View Post

some people think the VGA pic is "Washed out" compared to what you can do via component. However, most of the time these people are just cranking the bejesus outta the color setting to get a "WOW" factor (aka OMFGBESTBUYFLOORSETTINGSMYEYESAREBLEEDING), which frankly looks quite stupid. (Do you watch movies in "Vivid" mode to get a "WOW" factor? -- No because it looks like trash ) In any event, its a subjective decision - different people will tell you different things, in the end, you'll be the one who has to decide if it looks better or not to your own eye.

No, the vga signal really is screwy hence the washed out responses you read. It is not an opinion discussion, the signal itself is messed up.
post #3040 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

i placed my order for my 40BXR2 on amazon on jan 30 when it was temporarily 2200 bucks.

should i be suspicious? did anyone else bit on this deal? anyone even order one of these from amazon recently? i'm hoping everything's ok with it, whether it's clouding, or just because it was sitting in the stupid freight warehouse since saturday in this freezing midwest state (that place BETTER be heated) and the whitegloves are finally going to be brining it to me tommorow.

Yea, I jumped on that deal. I had to get a TV to replace my Sharp 37" 1080p LCD that broke on me. Sharp is going to send me a refund for the broken TV.

I live in NY and Eagle shipping called me 2/7/07 Weds. to tell me the TV will be here 2/9/07 Fri. anywhere from 10am to 4pm. I asked if it was Whiteglove and she said yes.

I'm going to have my PS3 downstairs plugged in ready to test the new TV. If it doesn't work, I'll just refuse to sign for the shipment.
post #3041 of 3414
Does the XBR2 have HDMI 1.2 or 1.3?
post #3042 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam153 View Post

Does the XBR2 have HDMI 1.2 or 1.3?


Nope,

new 92u sharps do.
post #3043 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomhitman View Post

No, the vga signal really is screwy hence the washed out responses you read. It is not an opinion discussion, the signal itself is messed up.

]

I don't know what signal yer looking at but my VGA signal is fine and has plenty of saturation (with Vid 9 set to "Video")
post #3044 of 3414
yeah, but the new Sharps 92u's have BANDING
post #3045 of 3414
How do I get the full screen PC display on my 40" XBR2 using a Macbook (not Pro)? I have the Macbook connected into the Sony's PC External Input #9 and the computer desktop display on the TV is fine. The only problem is, it's a smaller window centered on the TV, not full screen on the TV. Thanks.
post #3046 of 3414
I'm afraid of Sharp now that my last set died on me while playing Blu-Ray.

Even if it had HDMI 1.3, what would I be able to do with it right now?
post #3047 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReBReTHa View Post

Nope,

new 92u sharps do.

eh? Did anyone actually confirm that?
I don't remember reading that in either the D62U owners thread or the D92 speculation thread and I've been following both of them for months. It would seem to me if it had 1.3 Sharp would have been touting it at CES and listed it as part of the feature set during thier presentation.
post #3048 of 3414
at minimum its 1.2a

Yet to be confirmed for 1.3
post #3049 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReBReTHa View Post

at minimum its 1.2a

Yet to be confirmed for 1.3



Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReBReTHa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam153 View Post

Does the XBR2 have HDMI 1.2 or 1.3?

Nope,

new 92u sharps do.

Then perhaps you should revise your quote
post #3050 of 3414
So speaking of HDMI versions...does anyone really know what version of HDMI the non 70 XBR2/3s were shipped with precisely? I mean, I've heard of 1.1., 1.2, 1.2a

I know for a 100% fact it's not equipped with 1.3 (as was previously confirmed by another poster), but where do we find out what version of HDMI it is? I know the 70XBR3 is supposed to be equipped with 1.3 according to Katzmaier

Thanks in advance... I bet this was confirmed a while ago somewhere in this thread so I'll try searching some more and edit this post if I find out..
post #3051 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieStation View Post

So speaking of HDMI versions...does anyone really know what version of HDMI the non 70 XBR2/3s were shipped with precisely? I mean, I've heard of 1.1., 1.2, 1.2a

I know for a 100% fact it's not equipped with 1.3 (as was previously confirmed by another poster), but where do we find out what version of HDMI it is? I know the 70XBR3 is supposed to be equipped with 1.3 according to Katzmaier

Thanks in advance... I bet this was confirmed a while ago somewhere in this thread so I'll try searching some more and edit this post if I find out..

I just did some random google searches and got everything from 1.1 thru 1.2a so I'm not sure exactly what revision it is.

As for the 70", for 33,000 it damn well better have the latest HDMI spec
post #3052 of 3414
So I have a HDMI 1.3 PS3.

So I read up on the new HDMI 1.3 how it can display more colors since it's a higher bit and also it has a new mini connector for digital camera's etc...


I thought this was interesting since everyone is wondering if their devices are HDMI 1.3.

From the website - http://www.hdmi.org/resourcecenter/hdmi_1_3_faq.asp#q2

Q: How will consumers know which products have the latest implementation of HDMI 1.3?
Consumers should not look for a particular version of HDMI, but rather for the functionality that they want the device to support (Deep Color, specific audio formats, etc.). Alternatively, consumers can look for support for these features called out in the manufacturer's product information.
post #3053 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by LESLIE317537 View Post

So I have a HDMI 1.3 PS3.

So I read up on the new HDMI 1.3 how it can display more colors since it's a higher bit and also it has a new mini connector for digital camera's etc...


I thought this was interesting since everyone is wondering if their devices are HDMI 1.3.

From the website - http://www.hdmi.org/resourcecenter/hdmi_1_3_faq.asp#q2

Q: How will consumers know which products have the latest implementation of HDMI 1.3?
Consumers should not look for a particular version of HDMI, but rather for the functionality that they want the device to support (Deep Color, specific audio formats, etc.). Alternatively, consumers can look for support for these features called out in the manufacturer's product information.


That looks like a BS answer to me. Since HDMI 1.3 will have 2x the bandwidth of the previous incarnation, how could they make a statement like this one?

It may be true that these sets aren't readily available and that the PS3 will work with them, but I find the phrasing of the answer to be disingenous.

Here are some details regarding HDMI 1.3 It's true that one could look for something like Dolby TrueHD, but it's possible to provide descriptions that would lead you to believe HDMI 1.3 is present when it's really not.
post #3054 of 3414
I just got the set today and it looks great.

Just one question about standby mode.
I know for VGA if it doesn't get a signal, the monitor will go into standby.

What if I leave the TV on a HDMI input and shut off my PS3 say for example? Will the TV enter Standby mode, or will it just display the Input in the top left hand corner until I manually press power?

Thanks.
post #3055 of 3414
I received the firmware update for my 46XBR2 yesterday and applied it last night.
It really does take at least 15 minutes to complete. My TV did not have clouds (August build) but the firmware fixed the one thing I did not like. It kills the backlight when an input has no signal. Before, when I would turn my Motorola 6416 or Xbox 360 off, the screen would blank out but you could see that the entire screen was a bit bright. Now the screen stays dark until an input is active.

I did not see any auto-dimming action going on at any point when watching TV. I am very familair with this TV and can say that it works as well if not better than before the update. No new settings have been added to the menus.

I am glad I have the latest firmware available on my TV now.

I tried to upload the files from the USB drive but they are 8.42 MB and this site has a 500 kb limit.
Send me a PM with your e-mail and I will send them to you.
Note: These are for the 40/46XBR2, not the XBR3!!!
I just popped it into my PC and copied them to my HD and zipped. The date on the files is 12-19-06 which just happens to be my birthday.

Thanks Sony for making my already nice TV even better.
post #3056 of 3414
Nascard Dog,

Awesome, that fixes my issue above with Standby.... backlight off is awesome...
I guess they do this so if yuo do have clouds, yuo can't notice them as much when no signal is being sent , since thats when the LCD isn't active and blocking the light transmission.

Please send me the file - I'll PM you my email address now. Thanks...

BTW you were born in 06? Awesome, your one smart 3 month old. lol j/k
post #3057 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar Dog View Post

Note: These are for the 40/46XBR2, not the XBR3!!!

Since the XBR2/3 are supposedly the same electronically (difference being bezels, warranty, remote), why would the update be different between the two?

I went to the Sony site, and it warns that they *are* different.
post #3058 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

Since the XBR2/3 are supposedly the same electronically (difference being bezels, warranty, remote), why would the update be different between the two?

I went to the Sony site, and it warns that they *are* different.

They may have different firmware/flash revisions in which case each would need a different upgrade. Or perhaps there really are more differences other than the shiny black bezel.
post #3059 of 3414
it appears my mount is indeed blocking the USB panel. Now aside from nascars account (which appears to render the update at the very least harmless, and maybe useful to ignore the clouds, since honestly if i didnt see them during the input screen i may not often notice them with my tweaked settings) i dont know if i still want to install it though anyway.

question is is there ANY other way to install it? some adapter to utilize another port on the monitor maybe?
post #3060 of 3414
Can somebody direct me to the best settings for the 40'' xbr3. Just a general idea. I posted in the reg. forum and a whole bunch of nothin' in the replies. We just got it set up and I don't have Digital Vid. Essen. here with me. I ran a search also and didn't really find it. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony 40",46" XBR2, XBR3 - Owner's Thread