or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony 40",46" XBR2, XBR3 - Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony 40",46" XBR2, XBR3 - Owner's Thread - Page 104

post #3091 of 3414
Hi, I just got the 46" XBR3 and I am loving it. This is a great forum and was a lot of help. I have a question about my hook up. I have the Pace 775 HDDVR and DVD running a HDMI to my receiver and then a HDMI to the TV. also I have component video straight from the pace to the tv. when I change the source to the receiver the picture takes about 5 seconds to come on the tv and then flashes 2 or 3 times before displaying correctly. Is this normal? Is this delay because of the hdmi getting recognized thru the AVR? thanks.
post #3092 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total_Mule View Post

I have been through several settings on each cable box setting the output to 1080i, 480i or 1080i only, or 480i, 720p, 1080i. All yielding the same problems. I have tried the Utra 800 HDMI cable and traded it for the HMDI X cable from tweeter. No luck. I dig the tv, just worried. I've experienced the black fickering problem 3 times now. Like you, I turned it off and started back and it was a while before I saw it again. This past time it happened I let it run. With no resolve I rebooted everything. This time in the different order. I then discovered that when I booted the TV before the cable box I recieved a dialog that stated the TV is not compatibile with HDCP and needed to be hooked up through the component inputs. BAhh..where would I hook up my WII or my 360 .
Thanks for all your input.

man ... same problem with losing picture / black screen ... audio constant and don't lose it ... so wierd. replaced cable box, replaced HMDI's ... replaced brand new onkyo receiver ... no avail. anbody got anything on this???
post #3093 of 3414
i said earlier too i have an odd problem where if my xbox360 idles too long in the dashboard the tv cuts the signal or somesuch, or at least it's back to the rergular blank input screen (sound still works through my receiver though).

i dunno if the xbox does this or the tv does (but i can still hear the dashboard sounds) but it's like the tv just decided to ignore the video signal. Someone mentioned it might be burn in protection but it's an LCD so it shouldnt have that, and if it was i dunno how to get the signal back without restarting my xbox.
post #3094 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkfan31 View Post

Hi, I just got the 46" XBR3 and I am loving it. This is a great forum and was a lot of help. I have a question about my hook up. I have the Pace 775 HDDVR and DVD running a HDMI to my receiver and then a HDMI to the TV. also I have component video straight from the pace to the tv. when I change the source to the receiver the picture takes about 5 seconds to come on the tv and then flashes 2 or 3 times before displaying correctly. Is this normal? Is this delay because of the hdmi getting recognized thru the AVR? thanks.

sounds like an HDMI handshake. My Motorola takes a few seconds to sync up on power as well.
post #3095 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by scherer326 View Post

rbknox, I ended up exchanging my ati graphics card for an nvidia 7900. Something with ATI isnt right, it accepts 1080p (1920x1080 at 60hz) but doesn't fill the whole screen. The nvidia 7900 does.

I don't think contacting ATI will help because I did already and they were no such luck. But if you get different advice please post. Good luck.

Yeah, I don't expect to hear much from ATI -- although I think the problem would be easy to fix -- I have managed to get desktop and MCE to full screen by forcing to 75Hz and then back to 60 Hz -- not confidence building though. I've already ordered one of these: MSI NX7600GS-MTD256E-HD (GeForce 7600 GS w/ HDMI). I have the additional constraint of requiring a low profile card. There aren't too many out there -- this seems to have just hit the market.
post #3096 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by LESLIE317537 View Post

Yes I tested plenty of cards and I find that the NVidia cards work alot better at 1080p. I just picked up a GF7900 that has HDCP, so I can play HD-DVD's or Blu-Ray from my PC. DVI to HDMI.

Thanks, that supports my decision to order one of these: MSI NX7600GS-MTD256E-HD (GeForce 7600 GS w/ HDMI). I have the additional constraint of requiring a low profile card. I think this has the hdcp support also.
post #3097 of 3414
My 46XBR2 is a floor model....I am thinking it must be on "Shop Mode" because the DRC mode keeps resetting every time I turn the tv on. I thought it was supposed to have saved its settings for each particular input?

Anyone know how to turn Shop Mode off on this tv? I have been up and down the menu and don't see anywhere to do it.
post #3098 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post

My 46XBR2 is a floor model....I am thinking it must be on "Shop Mode" because the DRC mode keeps resetting every time I turn the tv on. I thought it was supposed to have saved its settings for each particular input?

Anyone know how to turn Shop Mode off on this tv? I have been up and down the menu and don't see anywhere to do it.

Change the CMOS battery.
post #3099 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar Dog View Post

Change the CMOS battery.

Yikes....the tv is only 6 months old...that doesn't sound encouraging at all.
post #3100 of 3414
I am on the fence for purchasing a 46" XBR (as long as the cloud problem ends) but my sofa is about 18 feet from the wall the TV will be mounted on.


I know I should really be looking at the 52" XBR, but not sure I want to spend that kind of $$.

Anyone else have the 46" about 18 feet from the seating position?

How does it look? Any regrets not getting the 52" (besides the obvious, bigger is better...)?

Thanks.
post #3101 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie1020 View Post

I am on the fence for purchasing a 46" XBR (as long as the cloud problem ends) but my sofa is about 18 feet from the wall the TV will be mounted on.


I know I should really be looking at the 52" XBR, but not sure I want to spend that kind of $$.

Anyone else have the 46" about 18 feet from the seating position?

How does it look? Any regrets not getting the 52" (besides the obvious, bigger is better...)?

Thanks.

why dont you get the 60 xbr2 sxrd? its cheaper than the 52 and has a better picture.you could probably even shop around and get the 70 incher for less than the 52 lcd. my 60 certainly has a better picture than any lcd.
post #3102 of 3414
Need on-wall capability. OK, WANT on-wall capability, and off axis viewing will be an issue.

Good idea though.

Anyone else?
post #3103 of 3414
no argument on the on wall. the off axis viewing is no issue though. good luck, I love my 60 but I want a 40/46 for the bedroom. these backlight issues need to get fixed.
post #3104 of 3414
Do I have the set too close and thats why I see so much fuzzyness in SD (dont have HD setup yet in rural area) ? 40 inch XBR2 is 9 feet from couch?
post #3105 of 3414
Quote........Do I have the set too close and thats why I see so much fuzzyness in SD (dont have HD setup yet in rural area) ? 40 inch XBR2 is 9 feet from couch?

I use a Sony 40V2500 (about the same as an XBR2) and watch SD at 8-9 feet. SD looks good but obviously not as good as HD.

However, my SD signal is good digital one using an HDMI connection from the cable box. Component was good too but S-Video was not soo good.

I should add, 7 feet is not bad either but I usually use the chair at 8-9 feet.
post #3106 of 3414
Hey there,
Purchased my tv back in November for resonable price at a local electronic store. Been enjoying it ever since but since I started researching more about the tv and current issues, found out about the clouding problem. And yes my tv has it too. Chatted with Sony tonight trying to get the firmware update from them to no avail. I guess I'll try the phone tom.
Anyways any of you guys mind posting the firmware update online? or do I have to wait till Sony send me the update?
Thanks
G'day
post #3107 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ97 View Post

Do I have the set too close and thats why I see so much fuzzyness in SD (dont have HD setup yet in rural area) ? 40 inch XBR2 is 9 feet from couch?

Its an HD display, of course SD isn't going to look great on it. (SD looks downright bad on alot of HD panels)

Having said that, SD looks fine on mine via a Motorola digi cable box @ HDMI 1080i. I leave 4x3 override off so SD is sent to the TV @ 1080i instead of the TV upscaling it and I use Wide Zoom. While nowhere near HD, it still looks pretty good (better than the S5053 Plasma w/SD we got downstairs).
post #3108 of 3414
Does anyone have a wii hooked up to their xbr2/3? I just got my xbr2 a few weeks ago and the wii looks terrible on it. I got hd component cables from play-asia but it only looks slightly better. My brother got the same cables and it looks better on his 46in panasonic plasma.

Is it a problem with the cables? Or is it just the tv is doing a lousy job of converting the 480p signal or something?
post #3109 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubsy3 View Post

Does anyone have a wii hooked up to their xbr2/3? I just got my xbr2 a few weeks ago and the wii looks terrible on it. I got hd component cables from play-asia but it only looks slightly better. My brother got the same cables and it looks better on his 46in panasonic plasma.

Is it a problem with the cables? Or is it just the tv is doing a lousy job of converting the 480p signal or something?

I can't test it since I sold my Wii, but on my last 1080p 37" LCD the component didn't make much difference.

But have you also tried shutting off all the added options in the TV menu? Like DRC mode to off etc..
post #3110 of 3414
BTW for you who have this hooked up to a PC.

I have tried both the HDMI and VGA connections from the PC and the VGA has far better color reproduction and the fonts are alot easier to read.

The HDMI must process the signal slightly therefore it affects what the fonts and colors look like.
post #3111 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubsy3 View Post

Does anyone have a wii hooked up to their xbr2/3? I just got my xbr2 a few weeks ago and the wii looks terrible on it. I got hd component cables from play-asia but it only looks slightly better. My brother got the same cables and it looks better on his 46in panasonic plasma.

Is it a problem with the cables? Or is it just the tv is doing a lousy job of converting the 480p signal or something?

I have the official Nintendo component cables and they look much better than the composite cables that came with the Wii. You can only do so much with 480p...
post #3112 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by LESLIE317537 View Post

I can't test it since I sold my Wii, but on my last 1080p 37" LCD the component didn't make much difference.

But have you also tried shutting off all the added options in the TV menu? Like DRC mode to off etc..


No I didnt turn off added options. I am really not sure what should be on and what should be off lol. The descriptions they give you make it seem like they should all be on haha.


Maybe I need to try some official cables though. Maybe i got a defective one.
post #3113 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by LESLIE317537 View Post

BTW for you who have this hooked up to a PC.

I have tried both the HDMI and VGA connections from the PC and the VGA has far better color reproduction and the fonts are alot easier to read.

The HDMI must process the signal slightly therefore it affects what the fonts and colors look like.

DVI-PC and DVI-VIDEO use different color specs (PC - 0-255, VIDEO - 16-235) so when you hook up a PC device to a video connector, the color space is off, this is why it looks slightly "off". You can compensate for this and tweak the RGB values in the nvidia and ati control applets and get it looking good tho. Also, as far as font readability goes, after you tone down the sharpness, turn off DRC and all the advanced PQ features, text is nice and crisp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubsy3 View Post

Does anyone have a wii hooked up to their xbr2/3? I just got my xbr2 a few weeks ago and the wii looks terrible on it. I got hd component cables from play-asia but it only looks slightly better. My brother got the same cables and it looks better on his 46in panasonic plasma.

Is it a problem with the cables? Or is it just the tv is doing a lousy job of converting the 480p signal or something?

I have Wii hooked up to mine via generic third party component cables @ 480p and it looks fine. Nowhere near the quality of PS3 or 360 but still very decent. His plasma is probably a 720p device so of course its going to look better. It only has to scale the res to 1280x720 (or 1366x768 of its a 720p plasma), the XBR has to scale it to a significantly larger 1920x1080 so of course it won't look as good. (Wii looks MUCH better on my ancient Pioneer RPTV HDTV then it does on my XBR because it can display it natively @ 480p without scaling). Mess around with the DRC a bit and try playing with the detail enhancer and sharpness. I got it looking pretty sharp by fiddling with these options.
post #3114 of 3414
I received my USB device from Sony today, and verified that it was the correct device for my KDL46XBR2. I turned on the TV and plugged in the USB device and watched it work.... for a couple minutes.... then it went into an endless UPGRADE FAILURE...REBOOTING cycle. (Attempting to upgrade APP)

I immediately called Sony Customer Service and asked what I should do. Is it safe to unplug the USB device? Turn off the TV? And the answer was "It's OK". Well, now I have no TV. Just a black box hanging on the wall asking for a functioning USB media device.

Actually the USB device works fine. I plugged it into my PC and copied the files to my hard drive. I'm assuming that I can copy files back to the device and try again. Can someone here provide me with a known-good copy of the files? There are only four files on my device that I can see. Should there be others?

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to get this thing working? I've got a service call scheduled, but it's not until Monday. I don't think I can last until Monday.
post #3115 of 3414
Speaking of updates, did anyone ever identify the numbers to confirm IF a TV already had the update or not? Oddly enough my TV is an August build but I think I have the update.???
post #3116 of 3414
Has anyone tested the "steady sound" automatic volume control ?
Is it effective ?
post #3117 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsterin_fl View Post

Speaking of updates, did anyone ever identify the numbers to confirm IF a TV already had the update or not? Oddly enough my TV is an August build but I think I have the update.???

There's no way in hell your August TV has the update unless you applied it, or bought it used.

The update wasn't even in existence when the August sets were being sold.
post #3118 of 3414
A quick question for XBR2/XBR3 owners out there who also own a Nintendo Wii and component cables (official or OEM).

Does anyone else receive a messed up signal while viewing the opera browser in 480p or dropped video signal in Zelda: The Twilight Princess during bright cutscenes?

I've tried using OEM component cables and official ones and am getting both the errors described above. Either the cables are messed up, my console, or the tv.

If anyone who has the above setup and games could report back I would be very grateful.
post #3119 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorinoCobra View Post

I received my USB device from Sony today, and verified that it was the correct device for my KDL46XBR2. I turned on the TV and plugged in the USB device and watched it work.... for a couple minutes.... then it went into an endless UPGRADE FAILURE...REBOOTING cycle. (Attempting to upgrade APP)

I immediately called Sony Customer Service and asked what I should do. Is it safe to unplug the USB device? Turn off the TV? And the answer was "It's OK". Well, now I have no TV. Just a black box hanging on the wall asking for a functioning USB media device.

Actually the USB device works fine. I plugged it into my PC and copied the files to my hard drive. I'm assuming that I can copy files back to the device and try again. Can someone here provide me with a known-good copy of the files? There are only four files on my device that I can see. Should there be others?

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to get this thing working? I've got a service call scheduled, but it's not until Monday. I don't think I can last until Monday.

TorinoCobra,

Look at posts #6223-#6227 here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...page=208&pp=30, someone had a similar problem and fixed it by downloading the files in post #6229 from the same thread.

Good luck...
post #3120 of 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by txs View Post

Has anyone tested the "steady sound" automatic volume control ?
Is it effective ?

All it seems to do on mine is increase the volume a bit when enabled. I leave it on just because I can...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony 40",46" XBR2, XBR3 - Owner's Thread