or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Bose Attack. Ouch that Hurts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bose Attack. Ouch that Hurts - Page 2  

post #31 of 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by renips
I have been accused by John of having a pitiful life. Do you know me John? I did not slam everyones opinion. I was reacting to a challenge from a member here who I am related to to answer his jokes about me owning a Bose system. You Isolate the word Goon. Between my Bro and I that is an inside thing. A very funny thing. You say I will not be taken seriously ever again in this very serious forum. What else can you tell me about my future John? I will be around just to keep you honest John. Whenever I hear of an injustice or the condescending tone of those elitist audiophiles I will be there John. Whenever the word Troll or Newbie is uttered I will be there John. Maybe then John, the pitiful life that you so want me to enjoy will be one that I can truly embrace.
One question. Do you like DirecTV?
post #32 of 941
Surprised no one has posted this.
post #33 of 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by renips
Powerful stuff coming from an AVS Gold Club Member with over 11K ****ing posts. How in the Hell do you rack up 11K worth of posts? Maybe with the type of short 10 word inarticulate posts up above.



By the way the answer to your quizical question is "those things that create a Tea Bag"
Or maybe because I have to moderate aholes like you every day? If you'll notice, I didn't attack you. I didn't say Bose were horrible, or that you were a moron for listening to them. Other than the fact that they are overpriced, they aren't that bad. What I was commenting on was your long-winded diatribe that essentially seemed to be "woe is me, I listen to Bose and you all hate me." Did you really think anyone actually cares? Enjoy your Bose. I'm sure they defy the laws of physics, get you all sorts of chicks, and even make pizza.

-MP
post #34 of 941
I got a chance to hear the 301s yesterday for movie playback (in a 2.0 system in a real living room.)

Much to my surprise I really liked what I heard. With the rear firing tweeter they definitely sound different than other speakers. I was watching the 1973 sci-fi movie "Westworld" and it only has Dolby 2.0 sound. The 301s created a wide cinema-like soundfield. The Bose may roll off the high end but that was almost a good thing as the soundtrack didn't sound nearly as harsh as it does with higher resolution speakers. Bottom line is that I liked the sound and since much of what I watch are older movies from the 50s, 60s and 70s they may be a good choice.

I'm trying to find some plasma-friendly speakers in a reasonable price range and it's not easy. I've listened to both the Klipsch SLX and Paradigm Cinema 330s and neither one impressed me much for their $600 price tags.

I may try the 301s and see if I like them in my room. As other have pointed out if I don't like them the resale value of Bose is very high.

In any event I really don't know why I'm even bothering to post this because mentioning Bose in this forum is like mentioning Microsoft at a Linux convention.
post #35 of 941
Oh gee, another Bose thread.....yippee....

To the original poster, if you like your Bose system, then great....enjoy. What typically causes a lot of negativity is when people come on here and start trying to piss into the wind, NOT simply stating how much you enjoy your Bose system. Whether you want to accept it or not, when you buy Bose, you pay more for their marketing than you do for their audio products. If you're okay with that, all the power to you. Also, at any given price point, there are better alternatives than Bose for those who are interested in sound quality - which is of interest to the majority of people who come to forums such as this one. If the way the Bose stuff looks is just so appealing to you that it takes precedence over sound quality, then great! Further, there are lots of other better sounding alternatives for those who need a system that is small and unobtrusive, but still want the best sound quality for their dollar.....some of them have been mentioned above (e.g. Hsu, Orb, Cambridge Soundwords, Mirage).

If all you want to do is talk about how much YOU enjoy your Bose speakers, then I don't think you'll find that much resistance. If, however, you want to begin trying to convince people that Bose is a good value or better than other similarly priced audio gear, you won't get very far....we know better than that.
post #36 of 941
I listened to the 301's a number of years ago. I thought the that competitive offerings from other mid range companies sounded much better.

My main problem with Bose is they deliberately market their products in a deceptive manner - they do not publish technical performance specifications, and in the stores they are always set up in such a way to prevent consumers from comparing them with other offerings. They also have a history of suing magazines that publish negative reviews. This is unacceptable behavior because it prevents consumers from making a fair evaluation and comparison in the market of their products.

As others have noted here their product is overpriced for what you get. There are web sites are out there that detail the poor build quality and measured performance of the equipment. Clearly you can buy better constructed and performing equipment for a lot less money.

Some people like the aesthetics of Bose - that is fine. That choice of aesthetics over sound quality is one every user must make.

Some people are happy with the sound of their Bose system - it meets their needs. That is fine too. But the truth is that the sound quality is very poor by any measurable objective or reasonable subjective criteria, and people buying Bose should realize that what they are buying is the aesthetics and lifestyle choice, not good sound.

Audio enthusiasts, like those that inhabit this forum will not be happy with Bose for these reasons.
post #37 of 941
Well, as to WAF, I'm a woman, and I wouldn't pay $50 for those ugly cube things...ugh! My home is full of nice looking tower speakers, I'm not afraid to
show where my money went! :D

Anyway, I've never heard Bose, but my guess is the OP bought them either 1) to fit in with the yuppy crowd who "thinks" they're the best thing out there, or 2) to satisfy the wife. Either is not a convincing argument to choose Bose over the other great offerings out there, imho.
post #38 of 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by renips
Very recently when I mentioned to my little brother that I was going to set up my Bose Acoustimass 7 system in my newly constructed house I was unmercifully attacked with such phrases as Bose sucks. Its cheap overpriced and marketed as something better than it is.

My apelike brother has become a member of this forum and has seemed to have adopted the mentality of some of the elitist members who fancy themselves as authorities as to which speaker systems are worthy and which are not.
After surviving the first round of attacks my goon like brother with his newly found zombie like Bose sucks mentality for no other reason that he has mentioned that the opinion on this forum is his credo wanted to up the ante of his attacks. He exclaimed that he would bring over to me 2 RTI4 Polk speakers and assured me that they would in his words blow away my Bose A7 system. My brother is a lonely man and therfore I accepted his challenge of sorts to see how ****** my A7 system really is. Maybe I do not know something that I should. We agreed that we would just change out wires into the same receiver and leave it at that.

What happened you ask? Well from the look on Frankensteins face you would have thought that MMMMMMMM Bose good, Polk Bad. The bolts in his neck started to glow.First off I never prognosticated any results before hand. From my vantage point the Bose system sounded more balanced and clear. The top end had more crispness and the low end was more pronounced. According to my brother the Bose system has no low end. Judging from the way the sofa was thumpimg from the Bose during our little experiment you could have fooled me. Maybe it was the marketing that was blinding us as has been mentioned on here and is one of the battle cries my brother has adopted. By the way he still owns the A7 system that I have, only it sucks now that he has his new Polk speakers. For the record, the RTI4 speakers did not do what my simple minded brother had said they would do.
And that is to blow away my A7 system

My brother owns a very large and very pricey speaker setup compared to my A7 system. He has separate amps yet he is too stupid to get a nice EQ. My Bose system can't compare with the overall sonic bombardment that his system will produce. But that is not the point. My Bose system fits in with my minimalist decor and the phrase uttered by those that see it saying How can those little speakers make such a big sound is priceless.

My Bose system has given me years of listening enjoyment. They give me enough sound to get into trouble yet are very easy on the eyes. With so many choices on the market one has to choose what is right for their lifestyle. I have enough large Marshall tube amps and cabinets to get the shock and awe thing going anytime, but that is another story.

So what have i learned. First my brother is a tool, a Ring yes that is merely parroting or apeing what he has heard on this forum. My Bose system does not suck. So all the closet Bose owners come out into the sunlight. And finally the words from my alltime favorite band Cheap Trick who by the way are way overdue for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" Rolling numbers, Rocking Rolling, got my Kiss records out!! Surrender, Surrender but don't give it all away!!

Peace Brothas
If you are happy with dumping all that money on Bose, cool. All that matters is that you like the sound. However, I don't prefer Polk speakers either, so in my opinion it was a contest on which was the crappiest speaker rather than which one is the nicer speaker. You could have spent the same amount of money and gotten something MUCH nicer in my opinion. But hey, if you like it, more power to you. You are the one who has to live with it ;)

Hmm, I wonder if you are the same guy as Directtvfreak...?
post #39 of 941
The wrecking crew has arrived...
post #40 of 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by renips
I have been accused by John of having a pitiful life. Do you know me John? I did not slam everyones opinion. I was reacting to a challenge from a member here who I am related to to answer his jokes about me owning a Bose system. You Isolate the word Goon. Between my Bro and I that is an inside thing. A very funny thing. You say I will not be taken seriously ever again in this very serious forum. What else can you tell me about my future John? I will be around just to keep you honest John. Whenever I hear of an injustice or the condescending tone of those elitist audiophiles I will be there John. Whenever the word Troll or Newbie is uttered I will be there John. Maybe then John, the pitiful life that you so want me to enjoy will be one that I can truly embrace.
The bottom line: Your initial post was made with with the sole intent of sparking argument and controversy. There is no place for that here.
If you came in here and said you know some dont like Bose here, but can you help me with some placement options, you would have had plenty of helpful answers. Do a search, they are there.
You have simply reaped what you have sown.
post #41 of 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by renips

I hope this thread will open the eyes of some people who think they know it all and if they spend enough then they must be an expert.
LOL, so I bet you think you are that guy who knows it all. Tell me, what else did you audition to compete with the Bose system? What brands did you perform direct comparisons with? If you have done this, what methodology did you use while performing these comparisons?

The only reason people say Bose suck is because they have heard better sound for much less. Of course, sound is subjective, but it is obvious you have not "subjected" yourself to any good sound. I agree with Chris, you are trolling. Look up the definition of a troll if you aren't familiar with it (it has nothing to do with post count).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrunet
Implying Dr. Amir Bose does not "understand" the laws of Physics is laughable ;)
He understands marketing a lot better;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno
One question. Do you like DirecTV?
LOL, exactly! I think the same thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma
Surprised no one has posted this.
Wow, those measurements are HORRIBLE. Gee who would have thought a Bose system would measure crappy? :rolleyes:

And what kind of a jag lights his own brother up on a forum of thousands of people? He was trying to help you out genius!
post #42 of 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance
However, I don't prefer Polk speakers either, so in my opinion it was a contest on which was the crappiest speaker rather than which one is the nicer speaker.
LOL!
post #43 of 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma
Surprised no one has posted this.
nice, interesting read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel5
Well, as to WAF, I'm a woman, and I wouldn't pay $50 for those ugly cube things...ugh! My home is full of nice looking tower speakers, I'm not afraid to
show where my money went! :D

Anyway, I've never heard Bose, but my guess is the OP bought them either 1) to fit in with the yuppy crowd who "thinks" they're the best thing out there, or 2) to satisfy the wife. Either is not a convincing argument to choose Bose over the other great offerings out there, imho.
marry me! :)
post #44 of 941
^ LOL :D
post #45 of 941
This forum is dedicated to the science or audio/video. We are here as collegues to find answers.

How do comments like these fit into that profile:

Rabbit97 "I think you projecting your Bose insecurity onto others"

Madpoet "your long-winded diatribe that essentially seemed to be "woe is me, I listen to Bose and you all hate me." Did you really think anyone actually cares?"

Jewel5 "I'm a woman, and I wouldn't pay $50 for those ugly cube things...ugh!"

Jdcrox's jewel: "You will never be taken seriously in this forum ever again. Enjoy your pitiful life."


The wrecking crew has arrived!
post #46 of 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by renips
I am up to 7 posts. Am I still a troll ?

You are right about the condescending tone among some audiophiles. I have found the same thing in the music business when some musicians downgrade others equipment because it does not cost a certain amount or it is not easy to find.
The way you've worded your post, to me, it seemed like you had an agenda. Though you have a good point, people constantly talking badly about boses, and Id guess a good number of those people have never listened to a bose system.

ive listened to a few, and for the size... Ive been impressed. I dont think there is any other home-theater in a box system you can go and buy at a store, that will sound as good as a bose. And what ChrisWiggles said about laws of physics and bose. The bose systems ive listened to, use small satellite speakers with what seems to be 3" drivers and nothing else. There is only so much one small driver can do.

For the amount of space the bose takes up, and for the people that they are marketed toward... The are a good deal. Great sound in a little package, but seeing how their 3-2-1 system costs ~$2,000.00 USD, I certianly know that I can do far better at making a 2.1 system for half the price, but it wouldnt be small. This forum is full of Do-it-myself'ers, its natural for any DIY-er to realize you can do just as good for half the cost.

No matter where you are, or what your into (cars, computers, audio...), there will always be several brands that people trash-talk. Its just a matter of being mature and handling it in a professonal manner. If you cant handle having your favorite brands being critizied, you have a lot of growing-up to do.

And to the individual who posted about people driving hondas/toyotas... They are a lot like some of us. They see a good value, in a $20,000 or less car which has had a very respectable history of quality products.
post #47 of 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel5
Well, as to WAF, I'm a woman, and I wouldn't pay $50 for those ugly cube things...ugh! My home is full of nice looking tower speakers, I'm not afraid to
show where my money went! :D

Anyway, I've never heard Bose, but my guess is the OP bought them either 1) to fit in with the yuppy crowd who "thinks" they're the best thing out there, or 2) to satisfy the wife. Either is not a convincing argument to choose Bose over the other great offerings out there, imho.
What kind of speakers do you own? Just curious.
post #48 of 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by renips
Whenever I hear of an injustice or the condescending tone of those elitist audiophiles I will be there John. Whenever the word Troll or Newbie is uttered I will be there John.
Wow, paraphrasing lines from "The Grapes Of Wrath".

Who do you think you are, Tom Joad?
post #49 of 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom
This forum is dedicated to the science or audio/video. We are here as collegues to find answers.

How do comments like these fit into that profile:

Rabbit97 "I think you projecting your Bose insecurity onto others"

Madpoet "your long-winded diatribe that essentially seemed to be "woe is me, I listen to Bose and you all hate me." Did you really think anyone actually cares?"

Jewel5 "I'm a woman, and I wouldn't pay $50 for those ugly cube things...ugh!"

Jdcrox's jewel: "You will never be taken seriously in this forum ever again. Enjoy your pitiful life."


The wrecking crew has arrived!
Yeah! I`ve been quoted! :D
post #50 of 941
There is no argument that Bose poures more money into marketing then they put into R&D. Their marketing is placing their product in the market as a lifystyle product. Something that is not for everyone, which is further underlined by their pricing. They don't pretend to cater to the wishes\
eeds of audiophiles. They don't publish specs of their systems. They even go to great lengths to not let you compare them to other speakers in a store.
So, when you buy a Bose system, don't expect audiophile quality. Expect a designed lifestyle system at an appropriate price point. And if you're happy with the package, including the sound: that's great!

Anyone remember what AVS stands for? If i'm not mistaken, it stands for Audio Video Science. If you read the various threads on this forum, the majority is about scientific\ echnical topics or are at least within a scientific\ echnical (sub)context. Technical as in speaker spec's (which Bose does not publish). Technical as in speaker accoustics (which Bose gives no data on). Technical as in receiver spec's (which Bose again does not publish).

Given the nature of this forum i do not get why people even come here talking about Bose the way the OP did, other than for intentionally creating argument, controversy and name-calling, and then complaining about the replies and what a sh*tty forum this is afterwards.
I also don't get how someone who (judging by the language in his posts) is reasonably well educated, but:
- simply believes the words of his brother w.r.t. this forum without even checking what he says is true (a simple search would have sufficed)
- with his first post rushes head-first in to this forum without investing time in checking it's nature
Have you checked forum rules and regulations? Ever hear about Netiquette?

I agree wholeheartedly with the previous poster (jdcrox) concerning this thread.

Can't there be a rule like the "no links under 5 posts" one, that says: no mention of the word "Bose" for the first 20 posts??? This would stop the Bose marketing employees who roam these forums...
post #51 of 941
Gosh I have heard Bose and it is mediocre at best. Paying lots of money for mediocre sounding gear seems a waste, but its not my money.
post #52 of 941
For the $3K-$4K you spend on a lifestyle system, you could assemble a hella system...

Good receiver
Good DVD player
5, 6, or 7 good speakers
Good subwoofer
Good cable/wire
Rack/stands
Media...
post #53 of 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenW


Given the nature of this forum i do not get why people even come here talking about Bose the way the OP did, other than for intentionally creating argument, controversy and name-calling, and then complaining about the replies and what a sh*tty forum this is afterwards.
Exactly....well said.
post #54 of 941
I thought his first post had a good point. it did not seem like a trolling post. Pot shots from the peanut gallery are always tripled in Bose posts.

Quick ? when hooking up the Polks were you still going through the passive bose bass module thing. Maybe that had an effect very high crossover and phase "tricks."

Which member is your brother? Frankly, I think the "Jag" is anyone who comes to my home and tears down something I purchased the way forum members do with Bose, but family usually gets a pass on this.

Bose is just an expensive option out there. There's plenty worse and better.

My roommate worked for CC and he said Bose get's everything right, but the price and sound ;). He says they get picked on, b/c they outsell everyone regularly.
That's what popular opinion gets you.. that and our current presidente.

I find the Bose system very creative and I actually know someone on this forum who has a Bose Lifestyle system and an SVS sub. That's hilarious.

I am waiting for your brother's reply. I find it funny he tried to help in a very condescending way and got made a fool of.
Some people need to take the troll and newb comments and shove them or get a bette radar. They are just trying to be cool in front of random people on an AV forum, IM"H"O.
post #55 of 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenW


Given the nature of this forum i do not get why people even come here talking about Bose the way the OP did, other than for intentionally creating argument, controversy and name-calling, and then complaining about the replies and what a sh*tty forum this is afterwards.

I disagree.

He did not some to an AV forum and say AV stuff is stupid. He just said he likes his Bose system and prefers it to his brother's Polk system despite his brother's obnoxious attempts which he thinks is caused by his time spent on this forum. If I summarized incorrectly, please correct. I just want his brother to reply back and make sure we know who the older one is.
Then I will wait for the Mother's reply to settle the arguement, but hopefully we will get a taste of the wives and/or significant other's arguing about this as well before that.
LOL :).
post #56 of 941
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet
Or maybe because I have to moderate aholes like you every day? If you'll notice, I didn't attack you. I didn't say Bose were horrible, or that you were a moron for listening to them. Other than the fact that they are overpriced, they aren't that bad. What I was commenting on was your long-winded diatribe that essentially seemed to be "woe is me, I listen to Bose and you all hate me." Did you really think anyone actually cares? Enjoy your Bose. I'm sure they defy the laws of physics, get you all sorts of chicks, and even make pizza.

-MP
I know. Your sarcastic passive aggressive original post was worthy of a moderator. Now you come out and call me an *******. I guess you can rack up a another post to your count. I can't wait till you pass 12K. Do you have any special plans for that day?

This forum has such passion. I am glad to have livened up an otherwise bland day for this forum.

For those who have offered some constructive info and even disagreement I thank you. For the others who have not understood the original intent of the post or have tried to bully the newbie,troll and now ahole(is that how the moderator said it) I thank you as well.

Keep em coming fellas
post #57 of 941
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenW


Given the nature of this forum i do not get why people even come here talking about Bose the way the OP did, other than for intentionally creating argument, controversy and name-calling, and then complaining about the replies and what a sh*tty forum this is afterwards.

I disagree.

He did not some to an AV forum and say AV stuff is stupid. He just said he likes his Bose system and prefers it to his brother's Polk system despite his brother's obnoxious attempts which he thinks is caused by his time spent on this forum. If I summarized incorrectly, please correct. I just want his brother to reply back and make sure we know who the older one is.
Then I will wait for the Mother's reply to settle the arguement, but hopefully we will get a taste of the wives and/or significant other's arguing about this as well before that.
LOL :).
You nailed it. You are correct about why I came on here. Also maybe we can turn this whole thing into a Jerry Springer episode :D
post #58 of 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555


I disagree.

He did not some to an AV forum and say AV stuff is stupid. He just said he likes his Bose system and prefers it to his brother's Polk system despite his brother's obnoxious attempts which he thinks is caused by his time spent on this forum. If I summarized incorrectly, please correct.

Okay, I'll correct ya....he actually says a lot more than that.

One of the very first things he says is, "I was unmercifully attacked with such phrases as Bose sucks. Its cheap overpriced and marketed as something better than it is."

Being that the predominant viewpoint on this forum is that bose IS cheap, overpriced, and disingenuously marketed, he's setting himself up as an antagonist, IMO. His brother may be pompous and without tact, but that doesn't invalidate any of the objections that most of us have about bose products.
post #59 of 941
Well this post makes me wanna run right out and buy Bose. Maybe I'll meet some nice people like renips while in the store.
post #60 of 941
This isn't his first time here..........
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Bose Attack. Ouch that Hurts