or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › DIY Screen Section › Laminate Screen Material and Testing!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Laminate Screen Material and Testing! - Page 10

post #271 of 2849
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post

I ordered the grey today from my buddy. It is supposed to be in tomorrow. I got the 5X10. It should be $75. Not bad I can't wait. Football on Saturday!

Edit
Forgot to mention thanks for all your work wbassett.

Thank Clarence, Ericglo, HG57 and Prof They are the ones that brought this back up from the archives and Prof did the testing
post #272 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post

I ordered the grey today from my buddy. It is supposed to be in tomorrow. I got the 5X10. It should be $75. Not bad I can't wait. Football on Saturday!

Edit
Forgot to mention thanks for all your work wbassett.

Which gray did you order?

(And another word of thanks to wbassett for all his hard work...)
post #273 of 2849
I ordered grey. 1500-60
post #274 of 2849
Does anyone happen to know the RGB values for do-able?

Thanks,
post #275 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedeal View Post

Couldn't stand it any longer. Picked up a 5x8 sheet of Designer White yesterday.
Some screens shots


...


Thoughts?

Thanks for the screen shots.
In the second shot, which has a seagull sitting on its eggs, the bird looks significantly more grey. The opposite is true on the shot of Brad Pitt on Troy. Did something different happen?
post #276 of 2849
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post

Does anyone happen to know the RGB values for do-able?

Thanks,

I have a sample of it, and can send that to Prof if he is willing to test more samples for us. I sent him a bunch of samples besides the Wilsonart, so he may be looking at that stuff now and I don't want to inudate him... he's already done more than I hoped for.

In the end I would like to see data from samples of all the various substrated people use as well as the most widely used paints and the top mixes. The Do-able samples that were sent to me do look like they would be nice for screens, but it doesn't come in premade grays nor can a custom color be ordered, that's why we focused on the laminates in here.
post #277 of 2849
Quote:


I used the recommended 3M glue.

What glue is this (to attach laminate sheet to a frame/pegboard?) TIA.
post #278 of 2849
I ordered a 5x10 of designer white from lowes last night. It came to $105 - a little more than i wanted to spend on the screen, but hopefully worth it

I'll post impressions and photos once I get it up, hopefully this weekend.
post #279 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post

Thanks for the screen shots.
In the second shot, which has a seagull sitting on its eggs, the bird looks significantly more grey. The opposite is true on the shot of Brad Pitt on Troy. Did something different happen?

Can't explain it. I had the camera setup on a tripod and the 15sec timer on, used the same setup for all shots taking them in the course of about 45 mins total. I see from the exif that this is one of the shots I adjusted the zoom and shutter so that could have something to do with it but I don't think the changes would alter color, just brightness.


Here is the exif from the images:
Bird -
Focal 26mm
F22, 8..0 sec
ISO 100
Partial Metering

Brad:
Focal 28mm
F25 10 sec
ISO 100
Partial metering


I should have fifth element today so I can take a few more.
post #280 of 2849
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixkillerNYC View Post

I ordered a 5x10 of designer white from lowes last night. It came to $105 - a little more than i wanted to spend on the screen, but hopefully worth it

I'll post impressions and photos once I get it up, hopefully this weekend.

It sounds like Lowes is a little more than Home Depot, and home Depot is more than if you can get it from a local distributor...
post #281 of 2849
Thread Starter 

This is just one way to mount the laminate as a screen...
post #282 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

Thoughts! You want thoughts??? I'll give you some thoughts alright! I'm going to take all my screen paints, dump them in a pail and paint the inside of the garage tonight. Then I'm going to take all my paint rollers and toss them in the trash.

Nice screen shots! I'm so jealous, wish I didn't have to settle for a crapy electric retractible screen with some kind of mud on it!

Now watch some movies and play some games!

WOW! Very nicely done W.


Problem now is I still have to figure out how to mount it. If it takes as long for me to figure that out as it did to get this far I will be too old to see the darn thing

Like your idea wbasset, what kind of glue did you use. Any concerns about warping? Will velcro hold the border, haven't tried it before?
post #283 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbassett View Post

One possible option for mounting the trim is industrial strength velcro

Here's another option...

I ordered some of this and it came today...

http://mysticalley.com/berwick_velvetribbon.html

"VELTEX BLACK VELVET RIBBON
Completely waterproof veltex, velvet type, ribbon from Berwick.
2 3/4in x 25 yards per spool."




It was only $7.95 for 25 yds... I only needed about 12 yards, but I had to order 2 rolls to meet their minimum order.

So now I have enough for 4 large screens.

Looks like good stuff. I think it'd glue down nicely on the edges of the peg board above. Just miter the corners. I'll try to post some pics tonight.
post #284 of 2849
Thread Starter 
Losta good idea's pouring in

Dave the pegboard shouldn't warp unless it's really really humid inside your house. My dad used to have peg board all over the place... the garage, the basement, attic... anyplace where he wanted to hang tools and I don't ever remember it warping.

My screen isn't up yet (not until I get back from PA and NJ from travelling for work) but I am going with the pegboard backing. Some may not be thrilled because the pegboard is going to add another $25-30 to the total cost. You should be able to mount it right to the all like Clarence did. Tiddler had a great idea about mounting french cleats to the peg board, then the trim can screw on from the back through the holes in the peg board.

The slight twist I am doing with mine is I am mounting a long thin center channel speaker as part of the bottom trim. (speaker dimensions that I am looking at are 26" long x 3" high x 4.3" deep) so I just may go with the french cleats to move the screen out slightly so the speaker is flush (or close)with the trim.
post #285 of 2849
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

Here's another option...

I ordered some of this and it came today...

http://mysticalley.com/berwick_velvetribbon.html

"VELTEX BLACK VELVET RIBBON
Completely waterproof veltex, velvet type, ribbon from Berwick.
2 3/4in x 25 yards per spool."




It was only $7.95 for 25 yds... I only needed about 12 yards, but I had to order 2 rolls to meet their minimum order.

So now I have enough for 4 large screens.

Looks like good stuff. I think it'd glue down nicely on the edges of the peg board above. Just miter the corners. I'll try to post some pics tonight.

If some of you guys want to split my order at cost, PM me and let me know if you want a whole roll ($7.95 + $4.05 shipping, enough for 2 screens) or half a roll ($4 + $4 s/h... more than enough for one screen).

That's a helluva lot cheaper than Flock or the Duve-Pro tape. I already have 4 yards of Black Suede I got at Wally World for $2.77 a yard so I want to see how that looks and works. I really don't have much spill, just a little at the top of my screen so it should work. Hey for $2.77 a yard I had to check it out
post #286 of 2849
Very nice work guys. Thanks.

Have a question to throw out there....wouldn't this stuff be a nice candidate for a curved screen?
post #287 of 2849
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCreole View Post

Very nice work guys. Thanks.

Have a question to throw out there....wouldn't this stuff be a nice candidate for a curved screen?

I know some people have brought this up before, and since it is flexible it does seem like it would work perfect for a high gain curved screen. I don't know if anyone has tried it though. Maybe a slight curve with some of the paints/topcoats that have too high of a gain and some hotspot issues could be overcome this way... something to think about once I can start my experiments over in the Laminate Top coat thread...

Quote:


From Wikipedia: Curved screens can be made highly reflective without introducing any visible hot spots, if the curvature of the screen, placement of the projector and the seating arrangement is designed correctly. The object of this design is to have the screen reflect the projected light back to the audience, effectively making the entire screen a giant "hot spot". If the angle of reflection is about the same across the screen, no distracting artefacts will be formed.
post #288 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbassett View Post

I know some people have brought this up before, and since it is flexible it does seem like it would work perfect for a high gain curved screen. I don't know if anyone has tried it though. Maybe a slight curve with some of the paints/topcoats that have too high of a gain and some hotspot issues could be overcome this way... something to think about once I can start my experiments over in the Laminate Top coat thread...

Interesting...thank you for the feedback. Good read.

Have any Canadians found this material? All I found at HD up here is some formica.
post #289 of 2849
King

I just received a call from Janovski Countertops in Markham On (905-475-0185)and the lady (Manny?) quoted me a price of $60 CDN + tax for a 4' x 8' sheet and $100 CDN + tax for a 5' x 12' sheet of Designer White. Not stocked but would take about two weeks to receive. Sounds like an even better deal than our friends south of the border
post #290 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddy View Post

King

I just received a call from Janovski Countertops in Markham On (905-475-0185)and the lady (Manny?) quoted me a price of $60 CDN + tax for a 4' x 8' sheet and $100 CDN + tax for a 5' x 12' sheet of Designer White. Not stocked but would take about two weeks to receive. Sounds like an even better deal than our friends south of the border

Very cool!

Thank you!
post #291 of 2849
Thread Starter 
I already have a thread started to discuss possible top coats and for testing. That was we don't bog down this one with a bunch of different topics. Any milestones of major items to report of course would be posted in here and linked to any applicable test.
post #292 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

The purpose of this post is to get an idea whether I should post some of my thoughts regarding top coating here or should we start a separate thread to discuss that topic.

So what do you folks think?

I think you think too much about posts vs separate threads.

A post asking if you should post your thoughts?!
"The purpose of this post is to get an idea whether I should post"

Don't worry about trying to maintain the purity of every thread. If you've got a post that's related to the topic, feel free to toss it in. If it takes on a life of it's own, spin it off into a separate thread.

Personally, I'd rather read one rambling thread with 3 or 4 related discussions instead of trying to track down 3 or 4 different threads... that way with one click I can catch up on the day's discussions.

Plus, when it eventually ends up in the archives, it might help someone in a couple of years who might ponder... "gee I wonder if they ever thought of applying a clear coat?"

As a tangent, as I was laying in bed, I wondered how buffed car wax would affect laminate... could it increase gain or would it just increase glare?
post #293 of 2849
What sort of gain would this material be considered as?
post #294 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartseff View Post

What sort of gain would this material be considered as?

from post #221 earlier in this thread:


gain is about 1.25
post #295 of 2849
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartseff View Post

What sort of gain would this material be considered as?

Like the graph Clarence reposted, this material is comparable gain wise to commercial screens on the market.
post #296 of 2849
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

...
As a tangent, as I was laying in bed, I wondered how buffed car wax would affect laminate... could it increase gain or would it just increase glare?

If this did cause some glare and hot spotting, what would happen if the laminate was curved in some??

lol wouldn't it be funny though if it worked without curving or anything like that?

Somehow I doubt life would be that simple.
post #297 of 2849
Thread Starter 
Tiddler I'm looking at one of the samples I didn't send Prof (It's Frosty White and was deemed as not a good choice by Ericglo's initial test so I didn't bother sending it) It is still in the 60 grade finish (matte surface) Anyway... It's not a 'flat' paint type look. There is a slight sheen to it, maybe like an eggshell type look, but not as far as a satin finish. The 'texture' looks like a really fine roller texture, at least to me. When I say fine, I mean I don't know if a human could roll that fine and consistant, but I'm not going to say that as an absolute either... It's not a super smooth surface like the white sanitary panels I have seen in Home Depot, but it's also not textured to the point you can see it unless you look for it.

In contrast the Formica samples I have are much smoother but there is a touch of texture there. That might explain why some people report hot spotting with Formica and other's don't. Two different projectors, one most likely with higher lumens.

HG57 is using Pionite White Suede. (I think that's what he said it was, I'll have to dig back through this thread to make sure). By the name alone it conjors up a mental image of slightly more texture, but being countertop material it won't be anything radical because of cleaning reasons.
post #298 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler View Post

A couple of questions for those with laminate screen installed and in use:

I'm using the Pionite 813 Ice White laminate, projector is a PLV-Z4, theater room has dark taupe walls with white ceiling and is completely black (can't see a thing) with lights and projector off.

Quote:


Is the screen visible in the image?

I'm not sure what this means, if I'm close enough to the screen it is visible because of the SDE.

Before adding a velvet border, the position of the screen was very visible, but now it's hard to judge where the screen position actually is (is this what you mean by the above?)

Quote:


Does the image look realistic and natural?

Watching HD on PBS (Utah: National Parks) is phenomenal, it feels like you're actually there.

Quote:


Does it look like you are looking through a window on the scene in the image?

see above

Quote:


Are you dissatisfied in any way with the image?

I would like to have darker blacks, but not at the expense of an overall darker image.

I've tried taping a piece of aluminum foil (dull side out) to my screen, thats the screen I'd like... if it just didn't have the narrow viewing cone.


Re: laminate textures,

I've examined some laminate samples under an 8x optical magnifier...

Formica has the smoothest texture, followed by the Pionite, followed by the Wilsonart (coarsest). Texture on all three is only slightly larger than the DA-Lite HCCV sample I have.

Even though the Wilsonart Designer white is alot whiter than the Pionite Ice White under daylight, the projected image is darker than the Pionite... I think it may be due to the Wilsonart having a coarser texture and less sheen than the Pionite.

I also tried projecting an image on a larger (2'x4') piece of Formica and noticed a huge variance in the brightness where the panel had a slight bend in it. I think the smooth texture on the Formica may have some hotspotting issues with brighter PJs.

Also... if anyone's considering using manual 2.35:1 screen masks, rare-earth magnets can be placed behind the laminate to firmly hold a light weight mask to the screen.
post #299 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by hg57 View Post

if anyone's considering using manual 2.35:1 screen masks, rare-earth magnets can be placed behind the laminate to firmly hold a light weight mask to the screen.

That's exactly what I'm doing... using rare earth magnets to slide my top and bottom borders to match the content's aspect ratio.
post #300 of 2849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

That's exactly what I'm doing... using rare earth magnets to slide my top and bottom borders to match the content's aspect ratio.

Please elaborate. Size, type, where you got them etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Screen Section
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › DIY Screen Section › Laminate Screen Material and Testing!