or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread - Page 7

post #181 of 6414
Their sensitivity is 91.5db. Their Nominal impendence is 8ohms. It is just that they have that dip. You should be fine with leaving it in the 8ohm mode. The Halo is a very good amp. The specs look pretty beefy on it. If they were 4ohm's nominal then you would need to make some changes. But you should be fine with that amp.
post #182 of 6414
Well surprisingly my special ordered XLR cables came in today. So I kind of did some scrambling to find an XLR to RCA adapter from a local guitar shop. They had the perfect adapter with the male RCA and femal XLR. So I was all excited to finally have a reason to open up my amp and get it connected to get a taste of what these speakers really can do. Luckily for me I decided to plug in my adapters into the back of the receiver before I completely unpackaged the amp and set it in my entertainment center. Because as I was afraid of after loocking at a diagram of the RCA connectors, the adapters where too wide to fit side by side.

So.... I can either buy some RCA cables. Look into a different sort of adapter. Or bite the bullet now and order the Parasound C2. Luckily I am single and have no dependents so the decision is all mine. Because I think based on the fact that I am wanting to get this C2 eventually anyway, I might as well get my system completed from the start.

Oh yeah, I had Saving Private Ryan on today and my receiver was cutting out ever minute or so at one point. It definitely was not volume related. I ended up just turning it off. So I guess certain movies and shows are off limits until I get my situation resolved.
post #183 of 6414
"Or bite the bullet now and order the Parasound C2. Luckily I am single and have no dependents so the decision is all mine. Because I think based on the fact that I am wanting to get this C2 eventually anyway, I might as well get my system completed from the start."
That is what I am talking about. Do it now so you will not be wondering. As I said I have the C2 and it sounds fantastic. It is so much better then my Showcase was. Also, the menus are very easy to use. For me, music is important. The C2 has a bypass mode that you have to select from the menu. It is really good on music that way. But it is good for music all around.
post #184 of 6414
Are there any reviews of the center channel in the Electra Be line?

Thinking about 5 1027Be's, but might have to go with 4 1027Be's and the center channel instead.
post #185 of 6414
I haven't seen any, but I am sure it is a good center. I have the 901 and it works and sounds great. But 4 1027's will be quite a setup.
post #186 of 6414
the cc1000be is as smooth as baby's bottom. the unbelievable tweeter do smooth out the edges and integrate well with the mid and bass units. it can handle dynamics very well too.

what can you say!!!

suggest mike to trade 901 for this just as he traded up the 927be for the existing 1027be
post #187 of 6414
CPU, I probably will, just a bit down the line. I have money commited else where for a different upgrade.
post #188 of 6414
I am loving my 826V's I get a nagging feeling they are underpriced, they just sound & look real purdy. Anybody see any reviews yet? I know they are brand spanking new but I eager to see what someone might say about these amazing speakers...IMHO they are perhaps one of the best looking speakers in ANY price class!
post #189 of 6414
AudioArchitect,how do the new Chorus speakers stack up against Dynaudios? Compared with the Focus and Contour series.

You sell both lines,can you give us your opinion on pros and cons of each.

Vampryo, I too am surprised at the cost of these speakers. Focal makes their own drivers and cabinets like Dynaudio and do not contract out. Amazing.
post #190 of 6414
I just picked up the CC800v center and I heard the $8000 JMlabs and must say the 826V can really hold themselves proud compared to their more expensive siblings...I am convinced that nothing under $3000 can't stack up to the 826V
post #191 of 6414
That is really great to hear Vampyro. I am glad that JM has quality stuff at all levels. And if they are like other JM's with better equipment they can sound even better. Make sure to keep us posted on how everything progresses.
post #192 of 6414
What do you guys think of this 5.1 by focal?

http://www.tweeter.com/sm-focal-sibs...i-2138378.html

Its on sale for 999.99 dollars for this thanksgiving weekend. I heard it and liked it but i am a novice so let me know what you think please.
post #193 of 6414
Focal seems to be having a sale on the Profile Series
http://www.audioplusservices.com/frame.html
They look like good deals to me

Profile 908 : $2,295
Profile 918 : $3,995-$500
Profile 928 : $5,500-$800
Profile CC908 : $1,695-$200
Profile SW908 : $2,995-$200
post #194 of 6414
hastley

get the sib and cub and join as owner of focal
post #195 of 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastley View Post

What do you guys think of this 5.1 by focal?

http://www.tweeter.com/sm-focal-sibs...i-2138378.html

Its on sale for 999.99 dollars for this thanksgiving weekend. I heard it and liked it but i am a novice so let me know what you think please.


I am sure it sounds alot bigger than it looks, ,you simply cant go wrong!
post #196 of 6414
I like the sound in fact i listened to alot of polks and such, and they dont even compare but alot of people on another thread are giving me doubts
post #197 of 6414
of course they will give you doubts because they never ever lived with focal speakers
and their hearing preferences are different
post #198 of 6414
Hastley, don't doubt what you hear. Everyone else wont have to live with them, you will. If they sound good to you then there really is only one choice. Get them and join the Focal family.
post #199 of 6414
Thanks for the comments on the Electra center channel.

Looking over Focal's lineup, I wonder if they're working on a 1017Be? Seems to be a gap there as compared to the other Focal lines.
post #200 of 6414
Esox50, true that the other lines seem to have a few more options. Even more towers. Time will tell if they bring out a 1017Be. If they did, I wonder what it would be like?
post #201 of 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Esox50, true that the other lines seem to have a few more options. Even more towers. Time will tell if they bring out a 1017Be. If they did, I wonder what it would be like?

I could see the 1027Be getting a price increase to $7,998 (or even $8,498), and them releasing a 1017Be at around $5,998-6,498 (especially now that Paradigm just announced the Signature S6 with a Beryllium tweeter for $5,500).

What would it be like? Hmmm.
1-1" Pure Be IAL tweeter
1-6.5" W cone Midrange, 32mm voice coil (same as the Profile 918)
1-6.5" W cone Woofer, 40mm voice coil (same as the Profile 918)
FR: 42Hz-40,000kHz

And it would be maybe 2-3" shorter.

Just a thought, not saying it's going to happen. There just seems to be a gap there in the Electra range. I guess in that price range ($5,500) you got the Profile 928 but it does not have the Be tweeter (BTW, I haven't heard the 928 but it looks very stupendous in that new Diamond Black). The "gap" I speak of though is that every other line has a model that could be considered a "small tower", except the Electra Be line.

To be honest, I only thought of this because I'm not sure for a home theater that I need the bass extension of the 1027Be, since I'll most likely be installing two 15 subwoofers. Figured I could save a little dough with a 1017Be, if there were such a thing. I bet it would sell really well though, don't you guys think?
post #202 of 6414
I can tell you that they will most likely have a newer model above the 1027's. But a lower model might be interesting. And I agree about HT. I am into music as well so I really like having the low bass that the 1027's give me. Maybe they will show something new at CES this year. But it does seem like a good idea.
post #203 of 6414
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox50 View Post

I could see the 1027Be getting a price increase to $7,998 (or even $8,498), and them releasing a 1017Be at around $5,998-6,498 (especially now that Paradigm just announced the Signature S6 with a Beryllium tweeter for $5,500).

What would it be like? Hmmm.
1-1" Pure Be IAL tweeter
1-6.5" W cone Midrange, 32mm voice coil (same as the Profile 918)
1-6.5" W cone Woofer, 40mm voice coil (same as the Profile 918)
FR: 42Hz-40,000kHz

And it would be maybe 2-3" shorter.

Just a thought, not saying it's going to happen. There just seems to be a gap there in the Electra range. I guess in that price range ($5,500) you got the Profile 928 but it does not have the Be tweeter (BTW, I haven't heard the 928 but it looks very stupendous in that new Diamond Black). The "gap" I speak of though is that every other line has a model that could be considered a "small tower", except the Electra Be line.

To be honest, I only thought of this because I'm not sure for a home theater that I need the bass extension of the 1027Be, since I'll most likely be installing two 15 subwoofers. Figured I could save a little dough with a 1017Be, if there were such a thing. I bet it would sell really well though, don't you guys think?

Paradigm is probably using a substrate material and vapor depositing the Berrylium, hence the lower price point. Furthermore, Focal is 6 years ahead of anyone in Be tweeters and obviously has the inverted dome which no one else has.

As far as being a gap in the Electra product line, realistically the 1027 sells so well, from a manufacturing standpoint, a smaller floorstander wouldnt make sense. For many systems the 1007 with a sub just makes as much sense.
post #204 of 6414
AudioArchitect, how do the Focal Chorus 816 and 826 V stack against Dynaudio products. Please give the pro and con since you sell both.
post #205 of 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

"
That is what I am talking about. Do it now so you will not be wondering. As I said I have the C2 and it sounds fantastic. It is so much better then my Showcase was. Also, the menus are very easy to use. For me, music is important. The C2 has a bypass mode that you have to select from the menu. It is really good on music that way. But it is good for music all around.

Well, I placed my order for the C2 last Wednesday so I should definitely have it today or tomorrow at the latest. I was wondering for your setup if you are utilizing the component video switching capability of the C2 or if you purchased that seperate HDMI switching unit that they sell seperately? That is one of the few disappointing things about the C2 is that it does not provide HDMI switching out of the box. But I understand the designs for it were created a few years ago when HDMI was not in widespread use at the time. I do anticipate the sonic quality of this unit to offset my HDMI disappointment.

One other thing I noticed about this unit is the lack of an FM tuner. This is obviously not a deal breaker but it would have been nice since I usually listen to morning radio before work. But normally for music I am listening to satellite radio through direct tv or CDs or DVDs. Do you use an FM tuner with your system? I am contemplating eventually adding a low cost FM tuner for this system but obviously it is not high on the priority list.

I am still anticipating what my new Focal 836V surround system will sound like after adding the C2. It is very hit and miss with the shutdowns of my Onkyo receiver. I purchased the new Gears of War Xbox game and played it through the system. The sound effects were amazing for the quick momement before my Onkyo shuts itself down. Pretty much anything in dolby digital will eventually shut it down. So hopefuly in a day or so I will be able to release my new speakers from their shackles.
post #206 of 6414
I don't need HDMI right now. I only have my TV connected to my player through a DVI cable. I also don't listen the the radio on this system so the lack of a tuner is not an issue for me. Did you mention what amp you are getting? I am sure that once you have everything in place it will sound great. I noticed an immediate difference. Again, congrats and be prepared to have a kick butt setup. Of course I know you will keep us updated.
post #207 of 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I don't need HDMI right now. I only have my TV connected to my player through a DVI cable. I also don't listen the the radio on this system so the lack of a tuner is not an issue for me. Did you mention what amp you are getting? I am sure that once you have everything in place it will sound great. I noticed an immediate difference. Again, congrats and be prepared to have a kick butt setup. Of course I know you will keep us updated.

I have had the Parasound Halo A52 (125W x 5) amp for several weeks now but have been unable to use it due to my decision to go with XLR cables rather than RCAs. I was trying to go the the XLR to RCA adapter route but the connector configuration on the back of the Onkyo unit did not allow for enough space for the adapters.

I will initially go with the component switching as I still have some nice component cables. Honestly the video between component and DVI/HDMI is not that far apart. This whole HDMI thing really is all about copy protection. Although it would be great to eliminate the need for a seperate fiber or Coax digital audio cable.
post #208 of 6414
With that amp you will have a very nice sounding setup. I am sure of it. Right now I only have a 34 in TV. The picture I can get with my player is simply fantastic. If I had a projector I might consider a high def player, but not with this TV. It looks really impressive as it is.
post #209 of 6414
Hi,

I am considering buying the 706 are these better than the focal sibs? I can get a pair of the 706s new for like 350/pair? Let me know
post #210 of 6414
Hastely
It may depend on what sibs you are talking about. The floor standing models I think got at least one nice write up. The 706 is a fine monitor I am sure. If you are talking about the sib and not the sib xl or xxl, then I might say the 706 is the way to go. It looks like a very fine monitor speaker. So I would say yes, they are better then the sib.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread