or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Programming a remote for a Vizio TV???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Programming a remote for a Vizio TV???

post #1 of 126
Thread Starter 
I want to program my Comcast cable remote so that I can operate my Vizio TV. Does anyone know the remote codes for Vizio. Mine is the 32 incher. I'm also looking to unlock the volume control on the remote and reassign it to my tuner. Any suggestions.

Thanks.
post #2 of 126
Try the codes under LG or perhaps Zenith. If the remote is made UEI, then the code would be 0178.
post #3 of 126
Shoot...I just programmed a remote for a Vizio.......I did have to use some different brands codes.....and now I cant remember what it was!....If I remember before you find it, I will post it.
post #4 of 126
Per Vizio's web site:
http://www.vizioce.com/site/support/

What are the codes for programming the remote for my Cable Box to control my Vizio?
1758; 0178; 10178; 627; 502
post #5 of 126
I have a VIZIO 32" LCD and a Comcast Motorola HD/DVR Box the code that worked for me was 0178. It controls the Power and volume Controls, all other functions I still need the TV Remote.
Thanks.
post #6 of 126
Dear crazycoltrane,
Thanks SO much for posting the code for a vizio tv using a comcast universal remote. It seems to work great !!
David
post #7 of 126
Two others mentioned code 0178 before crazycoltrane did.
post #8 of 126
But what about the "input" button on the Comcast Universal Remote? I can't get it to switch inputs on the Vizio TV. It does the power and volume just fine.
post #9 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post

But what about the "input" button on the Comcast Universal Remote? I can't get it to switch inputs on the Vizio TV. It does the power and volume just fine.

If you are using TV/0178, do the following:

1. Press and release TV device key
2. Press and hold SETUP until remote blinks twice
3. Type 994
4. Press and release SETUP
5. Type 00090
6. Press TV/VCR key
The remote should blink twice if successful

You can also assign the following to other keys (the number is for step 5, and choose whatever key you want for step 6):
Wide = 00138
TV = 00110
AV = 00105
Component = 00231
HDMI = 00174
post #10 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post

But what about the "input" button on the Comcast Universal Remote? I can't get it to switch inputs on the Vizio TV. It does the power and volume just fine.

If this is a UEI made remote. with the tv on and the remote set to tv device, what happens when you tap SETUP and release, then enter either 059 or 0059?
post #11 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupakai View Post

If you are using TV/0178, do the following:

1. Press and release TV device key
2. Press and hold SETUP until remote blinks twice
3. Type 994
4. Press and release SETUP
5. Type 00090
6. Press TV/VCR key
The remote should blink twice if successful

Thanks! That worked! The last thing that would make it perfect is if I could then assign it when in AUX or CABLE. I tried the keymover and it didn't work. I'm guessing because of the special 00090 code only applying to the TV function?
post #12 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post

The last thing that would make it perfect is if I could then assign it when in AUX or CABLE. I tried the keymover and it didn't work. I'm guessing because of the special 00090 code only applying to the TV function?

After programming the new function on the TV, you should now be able to do the keymove to assign it to AUX or CABLE:

1. Press and hold SETUP until two blinks
2. Type 994
3. Press TV device key
4. Press INPUT key
5. Press AUX or CABLE device key
6. Press INPUT key

I just tried on my remote and it worked.
post #13 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupakai View Post

After programming the new function on the TV, you should now be able to do the keymove to assign it to AUX or CABLE:

1. Press and hold SETUP until two blinks
2. Type 994
3. Press TV device key
4. Press INPUT key
5. Press AUX or CABLE device key
6. Press INPUT key

I just tried on my remote and it worked.

Hmmm...that's exactly the method I tried twice on each AUX and CABLE. I wonder why it didn't take. Worked fine for moving the TV Power button to each of the other two.
post #14 of 126
It didn't work because you can't map an advanced code, then keymove it. It has to be done in one operation like so:

1. tv
2. press and hold SETUP for two blinks
3. enter 9-9-4
4. tap SETUP for one blink
5. enter 00090
6. press CABLE or AUX
7. pick a key
post #15 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

It didn't work because you can't map an advanced code, then keymove it. It has to be done in one operation like so:

1. tv
2. press and hold SETUP for two blinks
3. enter 9-9-4
4. tap SETUP for one blink
5. enter 00090
6. press CABLE or AUX
7. pick a key

That did it!!! Thank you so much!!!
post #16 of 126
Thanks Kupakai for all the info. I was wondering though, is there a way to reset the remote back to its default settings?
post #17 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny76 View Post

Thanks Kupakai for all the info. I was wondering though, is there a way to reset the remote back to its default settings?

There are a couple of different resets. I'll go from the least destructive to the most complete reset.

You can clear the keymoves for individual devices:
1. Press the button for the device you want to clear (ie TV, CBL, AUX)
2. Press and hold SETUP until two blinks.
3. Type 994 (remote will blink twice)
4. Press the device button twice
The remote will blink twice

If you want to clear all the programming, ie keymoves, macros, learned keys:
1. Press and hold SETUP until two blinks.
2. Type 980
The remote will blink four times
CAUTION: it will also clear any macros the cable company might have put in the remote. I know my Comcast remote has a macro for the "On Demand" button, and it has an upgrade for a cable box. If you do clear the "On Demand" macro, it's simply the following keys: "CABLE", "1", "OK/SELECT", so you can reprogram it yourself.

If you want to clear all the programming, and reset the device codes to the default setting, do as above, except use "977" for step 2. Also, the same caution as above.

If you want to clear EVERYTHING, including device code assignment, and device upgrades, do the same as above except use "981" for step 2.
CAUTION: in addition to clearing the macros, it will also clear any device upgrade that the cable company might have put in the remote. On my Comcast remote, there is a "1376" device number upgrade that the remote uses for the cable box. This reset will clear that and you'd need a JP1.2 cable to upload that back on the remote.

I would think you'd probably want to do the first reset if you were playing around with keymoves. If you want to do a more thorough reset, you might do a 980 or a 977 reset and you can reprogram the macro for "On Demand" (or not, if you don't really use it). I wouldn't do the 981 reset though, unless you have a JP1.2 cable.
post #18 of 126
Thank you so much again Kupakai! Like you suggested, I went with the first option. I wasn't expecting such a detailed response, but I greatly appreciate you taking the time. One other question (sorry ), but is there a code that would allow me to access the Vizio settings menu through the Comcast remote? I just hate having to use the Vizio remote to change the TV settings like backlight and contrast, especially when it isn't close by.
post #19 of 126
The menu key code is 00171. Use it in step 5 on the procedure outlined in my first post (post #9). If you are going to use the menu, you will also need the arrow keys and the OK key:

MENU = 00171
UP = 00168
DOWN = 00166
LEFT = 00170
RIGHT = 00037
OK = 00164
post #20 of 126
Is there also by chance a code for the "Wide" button?
post #21 of 126
Wide = 00138
post #22 of 126
This should be all of it:
Code:
0               00117
1               00121
2               00119
3               00123
4               00116
5               00120
6               00118
7               00122
8               00245
9               00249
Vol +           00183
Vol -           00187
Mute            00057
Channel +       00181
Channel -       00185
Power           00053
Enter           00164
Last            00247
Menu            00171
Guide           00244
Up              00168
Down            00166
Left            00170
Right           00037
OK              00164
Sleep           00054
PIP             00197
Info            00251
PIP Swap        00198
PIP Mode        00199
Exit            00216
Audio           00059
Input           00090
Wide            00138
TV              00110
AV              00105
Component       00231
HDMI            00174
MTS             00055
CC              00025
Zoom +          00165
Zoom -          00169
Freeze          00200
RGB             00253
PIP Ch +        00196
PIP Ch -        00203
PIP Input       00199
PIP Size        00201
Got the codes originally from here
post #23 of 126
Thanks! I set the "FAV" button to "Wide". Worked perfectly!
post #24 of 126
Also, I have a Panasonic DMR-E25S DVD Recorder hooked up to my Vizio. Is there a code that will allow the DCD remote to turn on/off and control the volume of the Vizio? Vizio is not listed in the Panasonic manual. Thanks!
post #25 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post

Also, I have a Panasonic DMR-E25S DVD Recorder hooked up to my Vizio. Is there a code that will allow the DCD remote to turn on/off and control the volume of the Vizio? Vizio is not listed in the Panasonic manual. Thanks!

Try LG or Goldstar tv codes.
post #26 of 126
thanks for the tips
post #27 of 126
I just want to say this is an AWESOME forum and you all rock!!!! You guys have addressed a large portion of my setup but i have one missing piece. I have a Samsung Complete Home Theater System (HT-X40) which comcast had the code for. However, how can I control Receiver inputs with that remote?
post #28 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrokat View Post

I have a Samsung Complete Home Theater System (HT-X40) which comcast had the code for. However, how can I control Receiver inputs with that remote?

What is the setup code you are using for the HT-X40?
post #29 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupakai View Post

What is the setup code you are using for the HT-X40?

I am using Code 1932.
post #30 of 126
Try this to assign DVD input to a key:

1. Press and release AUX
2. Press and hold SETUP until the remote blinks twice
3. Type 994
4. Press and release SETUP
5. Type 00249
6. Press and release the button you want to assign the function to
The remote should blink twice if programming is successful.

Repeat the above steps for the other input selection keys and use the codes below in step 5:

Tuner = 00057
AUX = 00121

I found these from JP1 site's upgrade files for similar models, but I haven't found one for USB, which I think your model has.

EDIT: I just looked at a similar model of Samsung HT device and I guess USB is accessed through the AUX button. Is that correct?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Remote Control Area
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Programming a remote for a Vizio TV???