or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Revel Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Revel Owners Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlm9 View Post

RMK,
How are you likeing those F32's and F52's? Have you had a chance to give them a good break-in yet?

Jason


Hi Jason,

They are getting a lot of work and I'm loving every minute with them. The Revel/Parasound combo is a good match. I use the F52's for two channel backed up by the dual Fathom F113's and my system has reached a new level and never sounded better. I have been watching the Band of Brothers DVD set and the 5 channel sound is just unbelievable. I wish I could work those M22's in somehow.

I have been working on the Pre-Pro side of the system to get rid of my amp/speaker switching. Adding another pre/pro did the trick. I am now fully automated in my speaker switching. If you are going to be in the area give me a call and come by and check it out.
post #122 of 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Obviously, I am happy with this purchase and now I get it when people rave about a speakers imaging and soundstage. For me, these speakers were worth every penny spent. To quote a line from one of my favorite movies, come on in boys, the waters fine.

Im jealous, but ... looking at your pictures, I think you might consider moving your F52s out somewhat from the wall and that huge cabinet.

Maybe inch them about 3 inches forward, and 3 inches out, and then toe them in a tad ....
.... or whatever you can get away with in your house
post #123 of 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

Im jealous, but ... looking at your pictures, I think you might consider moving your F52s out somewhat from the wall and that huge cabinet.

Maybe inch them about 3 inches forward, and 3 inches out, and then toe them in a tad ....
.... or whatever you can get away with in your house

Thanks John, actually I have moved them out a bit since the photos were taken. Not ideal positioning but the best I can do currently. They are some nice sounding speakers.
post #124 of 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlm9 View Post

The M22's are an incredible speaker and would do very well for HT in a small to medium size room if you are running them with a good subwoofer. They would do well with music and would only be a little lean on the bass. The F32's & F52's are incredible as well and they should be for their price tag. The F32's & F52's would only need a subwoofer for HT.

If you are just starting off, you can get the M22's and C52 now and when you get the extra cash, move the M22's to the rear and get a pair of F32's for the front. The F52's are amazing, but are they worth double the F32's, I personally don't think so. If you don't have a tight budget get the F52's at that point, but I think the $2-3K would be better off spent on a great amplifier or processor.

Bottom line, the M22's are the best bargain in the line-up.

P.S. If you don't care about color, take a look at the maple finish Revels that have been surfacing lately. Revel blew them out to their dealers at 50% off. That would be at 25% of Retail. Good luck.

Jason

Hi Jason:

Thanks for the info. Assuming I go the M22 route, I'd be running them with an HSU VTF3 (not an exotic sub by any means, but dead flat to 20Hz) and a C50 center. I'm thinking that would all come together nicely.

Yeah, I saw they were phasing out the maple finish. I'm partial to the cherry and I've got my eye on a few used pairs that are going for just above the $1k mark. Sounds silly, but a buddy of mine has been enamored with the F12's and keeps wanting to buy them from me. Bottom line, if I do it....I'd esentially be trading the F12's for the M22's. What's not to like about that trade, right?

I really liked the F52's too, but if I'm going that far out into speaker spending, I'll probably just hold back a little longer and work up into some Ultima Studios.

Thanks again.

Scott
post #125 of 6783
What is Revel going to do with the "surround" speaker category? I can't use M22's for sides or surrounds, and their current surrounds (S30's) have been around for years, are expensive, and don't seem to be "great" performers from what I've heard. In addition, the new Ultima 2 line doesn't even show any true surrounds.

So, what's the skinny on surrounds from Revel?
post #126 of 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

Well, I am now a member of the Revel Owners Club. I will be receiving the remainder of my system (I already own two pairs of M22s) on Thursday. My Setup is as follows:

Revel F52 Mains
Revel C52 Center
Revel M22 Surround and Rear
HSU VTF3 - MKIII

Its funny, my budget went form a simple mid-fi bookshelf system @ roughly $2,000 to ~ $8,000 for the Revels. For those who are in the market for Revels, shop around and get the best price (I got my entire system - all 7 Revel Speakers - for 40% off list). At that price, nothing (IMHO) contends with the Revel Performa Series! I can't for the life of me figure out why they aren't talked about more. The entire line is really amazing!

John

I just joined the Revel club as well.. My setup is as follows:

Revel F32 Mains
Revel C32 Center
Revel M22 Rears
JL Audio F112 SUB
Bryston SP2 Precessor
Bryston 9B SST amplifier

My Budget went through the roof with this setup... But I figured I might as well do it right this time, then to waste more money by trying different things... I did have a arcam avr300 abd paradigm studio 60's before this, but was not happy with the sound.. I have achieved a totally different level of sound, and it is simply amazing..
post #127 of 6783
Some nice all Revel setups guys, how about posting some pictures?
post #128 of 6783
BamBam.
You say you can't use M22's for your surrounds, is there a specific reason for that? size or something?
I ask because I have M22's all around other then my C52 center for my 7.2 system and they are fabulous.
post #129 of 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

BamBam.
You say you can't use M22's for your surrounds, is there a specific reason for that? size or something?
I ask because I have M22's all around other then my C52 center for my 7.2 system and they are fabulous.

I was wondering the same thing. The M22's are outstanding speakers so I must assume is is a size/placement issue.
I am using the I-30 in-wall as a center channel speaker in combination with the F52/32 floor standers in my room and as Revel claims it blends very nicely with the Performas. These are often used as surrounds where room or esthetics issues dictate a low (or no) profile speaker.
post #130 of 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

BamBam.
You say you can't use M22's for your surrounds, is there a specific reason for that? size or something?
I ask because I have M22's all around other then my C52 center for my 7.2 system and they are fabulous.

It's both a size and a placement issue. Ideally, I need surrounds that "hug" the wall closely - like the Revel Embrace surrounds - due to my theater seating set up. If I had M22's mounted on the walls - which in of itself would be tough - people would be hitting their heads on them when taking their seat for a movie.

To me, while I know the M22's are great speakers, they are simply more of a front - and/or stand mounted bookshelf - speaker.
post #131 of 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

BamBam.
You say you can't use M22's for your surrounds, is there a specific reason for that? size or something?
I ask because I have M22's all around other then my C52 center for my 7.2 system and they are fabulous.

Isn't the M22 rear-ported? So in fact it CAN'T be mounted directly against a wall. I wonder if placing it 1-2" from a wall (rather than 1-2 feet) would have an audible effect on the port "breathing" noise?
post #132 of 6783
Stopped by a nice AV store the other day looking for info on the new Ultima Salon2's. The Salons look to be a couple of months out but they had the Performa's setup in a demo room with really good acoustic treatments and electronics (Krell and SIM Audio as I remember). I had heard the speakers there before and that is what prompted me to buy the F52's and F32's for my HT. Now that I have spent a few weeks with them, I was interested in comparing the sound in a close to ideal setting. Let me tell you that the room makes a difference. As good as they sound in my less than ideal space, they really shine when provided with the right environment. The guys at the store are serious about audio and they told me that the majority of their employees (they have two stores) have Revels at home. I also listened to some Wilson's (Watt Puppys) and Joseph Audios (RM25's) and liked them as well but the Revels gave up nothing to the Wilson's except for a bit more bass and were clearly better than the Josephs.

My plan is to eventually build out a dedicated space for music and HT. At this point, the Revel's will be the speakers. I can't wait to hear the Salons2's
post #133 of 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by syswei View Post

Isn't the M22 rear-ported? So in fact it CAN'T be mounted directly against a wall. I wonder if placing it 1-2" from a wall (rather than 1-2 feet) would have an audible effect on the port "breathing" noise?


I was told by engineers at HSG that I needed min of 4" back room and that is what I have on surrounds and it seems to work great.
post #134 of 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

I was told by engineers at HSG that I needed min of 4" back room and that is what I have on surrounds and it seems to work great.

Thanks for that info because it helps my decision...in this case ruling out the M22 for rears/surrounds, since I had thought to use Omnimounts or something like them for wallmounting with only a 1-2" rear gap. Might still go with M22s in front and something less expensive (and not rear-ported) elsewhere.
post #135 of 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by syswei View Post

Thanks for that info because it helps my decision...in this case ruling out the M22 for rears/surrounds, since I had thought to use Omnimounts or something like them for wallmounting with only a 1-2" rear gap. Might still go with M22s in front and something less expensive (and not rear-ported) elsewhere.

If in-wall's are a possibility you should check out the I-20 and I-30 Revels. They are a good sonic match for the Performa's but as is true with all good in-walls, not cheap.
post #136 of 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

If in-wall's are a possibility you should check out the I-20 and I-30 Revels. They are a good sonic match for the Performa's but as is true with all good in-walls, not cheap.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had looked at the pricing and pretty much ruled them out based on price.
post #137 of 6783
I know they are expensive, just the back box alone is $400. In my situation, I could not accommodate a true center channel and the I-30 was the best match for my Performas.
post #138 of 6783
New Revel owner here. Just yesterday, I took possession of and set up a 6.1 surround system of F12s, C12, and three S12s along with a B12 sub.

Incredible bang for the buck! Think about it, for about the same price as some competing mass marker mid-fi brands like Polk, Boston, Klipsch, Def Tech, etc., etc., one can get some Revels in the house!

I plan on picking up another S12 surround, a pair of M12s, and maybe another B12 sub eventually for the theater system, and maybe moving the F12s over to a dedicated 2 channel rig.
post #139 of 6783
Hi guys. A new Revel owner here. I have a question about the Ultima line. I have the 2004 and 2005 buyers guide. there is a big difference in prices. For example, the 2004 Studios have a msrp of $11,000 or so. The 2005 Studios are $15,000. Did they add different drivers or crossovers? How come the big price increase. Just courious. Thanks.
post #140 of 6783
Aw, crap. I just discovered there's a pair of mint F-30's available here in my area. I've always been intrigued by these speakers. But never really pursued them until now, when it's probably too late.

I'd have to find a matching C-30 in rosewood to make a jump at these.. and it appears that's not going to be easy to find.
post #141 of 6783
I picked up a pair of F12's & a C12 this past weekend. They sound great. I also listened to some F52's. Wow. As soon as I move into a bigger place, the F52's are the first thing I'm going to purchase. I had Magnepan 3.6R's before I moved to FL in November and never thought I would own anything but Magenpans (I consider the current theater a temporary thing) but my opinion changed last weekend.

Anybody with the S12's care to comment on how they sound and how you have them mounted?

My current theater room is about 11' wide by 13' deep. I have a 110" diagonal screen and the F12's are actually in front of the screen a little but from where I sit, they don't block my view of the edges. I'm curious as to the best way to mount the S12's. On the back wall or on the side walls. The position of the drivers has me a bit confused.
post #142 of 6783
Assuming you are doing a 5.1 system you would mount them at the sides of your seating and starting about 60" from the floor. If you have more than one seating row mount them between the two rows.
post #143 of 6783
Is there a big jump from the Performa to the Ultima series. I was wondering because I just picked up the Ultima package (Studios,Voice,Embraces) for my 7.1. I also have the performa S30's for the rears. Do you think that I will notice the difference in sound between the Embraces and the S30's? Or should I switch the S30's for another pair of Embraces for the rears? It seems like overkill, and the price difference is quite alot. Any thoughts on this. BTW,. my speakers will be here tomorrow.
post #144 of 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkledorf View Post

Is there a big jump from the Performa to the Ultima series. I was wondering because I just picked up the Ultima package (Studios,Voice,Embraces) for my 7.1. I also have the performa S30's for the rears. Do you think that I will notice the difference in sound between the Embraces and the S30's? Or should I switch the S30's for another pair of Embraces for the rears? It seems like overkill, and the price difference is quite alot. Any thoughts on this. BTW,. my speakers will be here tomorrow.


I spoke with Revel about this as I wanted to add a Ultima Voice CC to my Performa F52's LR's and was told they would be a good sonic match. They were.

I'd give it a listen and see if you are happy. If not get the Embraces.

BTW, that is a great system you are putting together ... what is the .1?
post #145 of 6783
I was thinking that the S30's should be fine. I just wanted to make sure. As of now I have a pair of Paradigm PW2200's for the .1. I'm looking into upgrading those, but not for awhile.
post #146 of 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkledorf View Post

I was thinking that the S30's should be fine. I just wanted to make sure. As of now I have a pair of Paradigm PW2200's for the .1. I'm looking into upgrading those, but not for awhile.

When the time comes, check out the JL Audio Fathom Subs ... you will be pleasantly surprised.
post #147 of 6783
Still waiting for someone to report on the Ultima2 Salons (or Studios).

Anyone?
post #148 of 6783
They are not shipping yet. Be patient.
post #149 of 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

They are not shipping yet. Be patient.


Last I heard from an authorized dealer was late April. I guess Revel missed it. No wonder the dealer hasn't called back.

Since they were announced last September 14th and promised by "early 2007," I think I am being patient.
post #150 of 6783
According to an HSG rep I spoke with late last week, they are curently in a "soft launch" mode with the new line rolling out to only a percentage of dealers. They estimated that the line will fully roll out to all dealers in the next 4-6 weeks. One surprising thing was that she said they expect to roll out all 4 models of the new line at that time vs. a staggered launch for the various models (I was told late last year that they would roll out the new line like that).

Jeff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Revel Owners Thread