or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Revel Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Revel Owners Thread - Page 9

post #241 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

I did get the Voice as well, I will be using this for HT and music but have had little time with the speakers so far. My job has kept me plenty busy the last month. I will have 10 days off coming up shortly and will give some feedback then.

I will say this the first words out of everyones mouth who has heard these things has been either "OMG" or "I have never heard anything like that in my life"......I would have to agree.

Thanks. We all look forward to your commentary, and alwynwilliams'.
post #242 of 6861
F32's with emotiva mps1? good idea, or need better amp/ more power? don't really want to carry 110lbs amp around to demo
post #243 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by syswei View Post

Salon2 is out of my price range, but Studio2 and F52 are both possibilities. Would appreciate comments on the Salon2 vs your F52s.

The Salon2's are TRUE full range speakers designed for two channel listening. My primary use is HT and for that the Performas are great. As good as they are, the F52's can't compete with the Ultimas for 2 channel music listening. I'm not good at Audiophile descriptions of sound (fluid, full, ripe) but if you hear them in a good room with the right electronics (source, material and amplification), you will understand.
post #244 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

I did get the Voice as well, I will be using this for HT and music but have had little time with the speakers so far. My job has kept me plenty busy the last month. I will have 10 days off coming up shortly and will give some feedback then.

I will say this the first words out of everyones mouth who has heard these things has been either "OMG" or "I have never heard anything like that in my life"......I would have to agree.

Russdawg,

How would you compare the top end of each speaker? I currently have the S8 towers and was looking at Revel speakers. I find the S8 upper mids and tweeter too hot for my liking. My room doesn't help either, it is very reflective. Are the upper mids and highs more relaxed? Any comparisons that you can think of off the top of your head? I was actually looking at the performa line, but if I can swing it, I would love the ultima 2's.
post #245 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spdnb View Post

Russdawg,

How would you compare the top end of each speaker? I currently have the S8 towers and was looking at Revel speakers. I find the S8 upper mids and tweeter too hot for my liking. My room doesn't help either, it is very reflective. Are the upper mids and highs more relaxed? Any comparisons that you can think of off the top of your head? I was actually looking at the performa line, but if I can swing it, I would love the ultima 2's.

Uplifting and Powerful, unbelievable dynamic range, no coloration, and the imaging and soundstage are some of the things that the Salon's has over the S8's. Mind you I am and always will be a big fan of Paradigm but these things (and rightly so given the cost) is a different animal altogether. For the time being I'm driving them with a McIntosh 207 which is a very nice laid back amp. You really need to demo them....
post #246 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay L View Post

F32's with emotiva mps1? good idea, or need better amp/ more power? don't really want to carry 110lbs amp around to demo

What's the power output on the MPS1? The F32's aren't particularly efficient, so if you have them in a large room, they'll require a decent amount of power (depending on your listening habits). I run them off a 200W Sherbourn in a smallish room and am very pleased with the results.


Scott
post #247 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel01 View Post

What's the power output on the MPS1? The F32's aren't particularly efficient, so if you have them in a large room, they'll require a decent amount of power (depending on your listening habits). I run them off a 200W Sherbourn in a smallish room and am very pleased with the results.


Scott

mps-1:
200 watts per channel at 8 ohms, 300w/ch @ 4 ohms and 400w/ch @ 2 ohms


room 11x17
post #248 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay L View Post

mps-1:
200 watts per channel at 8 ohms, 300w/ch @ 4 ohms and 400w/ch @ 2 ohms


room 11x17

Looks fine to me. Very similar to the specs on my amp and my room is about 13x13.

Don't know much about Emotiva in general (though I do hear good thing through the grapevine), but from a power perspective, you should be all set.


Scott
post #249 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel01 View Post

Looks fine to me. Very similar to the specs on my amp and my room is about 13x13.

Don't know much about Emotiva in general (though I do hear good thing through the grapevine), but from a power perspective, you should be all set.


Scott

With all due respect, that is a shame that you have those wonderful speakers in a square room. Having equal dimensions in both width and depth is gauranteed to create a nasty peak or null (depending on where you sit) somewhere in the mid to upperbass. I have a small but nice AV system in one of my spare bedrooms that I use as a gaming system (I work for a video game company). The room is 11 x11 and I had to buy a parametric EQ for the subwoofer to tame a 10dB peak around 70 Hz. The bass in that room without the EQ was horrible. It still isn't perfect, but it is at least listenable now.

Have you noticed any problems with the bass in your room?
post #250 of 6861
Can anyone suggest a good tube integrated to power the M22s? I know the M22s are not extremely sensitive (85db) so do most people use a solid state amp instead? BTW, love the M22s..fantastic speaker for the 1k sales price.
post #251 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

With all due respect, that is a shame that you have those wonderful speakers in a square room. Having equal dimensions in both width and depth is gauranteed to create a nasty peak or null (depending on where you sit) somewhere in the mid to upperbass. I have a small but nice AV system in one of my spare bedrooms that I use as a gaming system (I work for a video game company). The room is 11 x11 and I had to buy a parametric EQ for the subwoofer to tame a 10dB peak around 70 Hz. The bass in that room without the EQ was horrible. It still isn't perfect, but it is at least listenable now.

Have you noticed any problems with the bass in your room?

Yes, the room is decidedly not ideal, but such is life. I've been in love with these speakers for a while and just couldn't hold out any longer. The "master plan" is to have a dedicated 2 channel listening room in the next house where I'd REALLY get to hear what they're capable of.

Actually, it's 12x13 at the narrowest and 13x15 at it's widest. There is a predictable, but VERY nasty peak (~10db) at 40Hz that I have to notch out out via my processor. Other than that, it's not too bad. I just added some acoustic treatments too, which have made some nice improvements. Once I get the hang of REW, I'll post some LF decay times and FR's. I was pleasantly surprised by how well things measured out, given the room constraints.


Scott
post #252 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel01 View Post

Once I get the hang of REW, I'll post some LF decay times and FR's. I was pleasantly surprised by how well things measured out, given the room constraints.


Scott

What's REW?
post #253 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by syswei View Post

What's REW?

Room Eq Wizard. Pretty nice, especially for freeware. Not sure how it compares to TrueRTA, but seems to work well enough.


Scott
post #254 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel01 View Post

Room Eq Wizard. Pretty nice, especially for freeware. Not sure how it compares to TrueRTA, but seems to work well enough.


Scott

Thanks. I've been wondering what I'll do for room EQ when I build my HT. Maybe it makes sense to measure it with something like this first, and add EQ later. I had originally been looking at Audyssey but the lack of user control and inablity to recallibrate without calling an installer in decided me against it. Have also considered the Behringer DEQ2496 but it is something I would get from a store where I could return it if I thought it had an adverse impact on sound quality (it appears to be a very capable unit but it is so cheap that i question the parts quality).
post #255 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel01 View Post

Yes, the room is decidedly not ideal, but such is life. I've been in love with these speakers for a while and just couldn't hold out any longer. The "master plan" is to have a dedicated 2 channel listening room in the next house where I'd REALLY get to hear what they're capable of.

Actually, it's 12x13 at the narrowest and 13x15 at it's widest. There is a predictable, but VERY nasty peak (~10db) at 40Hz that I have to notch out out via my processor. Other than that, it's not too bad. I just added some acoustic treatments too, which have made some nice improvements. Once I get the hang of REW, I'll post some LF decay times and FR's. I was pleasantly surprised by how well things measured out, given the room constraints.


Scott

I completely understand your situation. We all have compromises to make. My next house too will have to have a room suitable for good sound. The dimensions of my current living room / AV room are fine, but I have limited placement options for my speakers in that room due to door and window locations. yargh!

It sounds like you have a handle on the current situation by using the notch filter. I was just afraid that you had unknowingly placed very fine speakers into a room that would severly alter the sound quality.

Haooy listening!
post #256 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

I was just afraid that you had unknowingly placed very fine speakers into a room that would severly alter the sound quality.

Haooy listening!

Not a chance my friend. I'm happy....they're happy....everyone is happy. Except for my wife who now feels that our TV room "sounds great, but looks like Tweeter".

Can't win 'em all.


Scott
post #257 of 6861
Hello,
have now been running the speakers and amps for about 200 hours now to run them in,and they are sounding very good indeed,as I mentioned in a previous post,I have the Esoteric X-01 D2 cd/sacd player with the pre amp Mark Levinson 326s.The room is 20ft long by 12ft wide and has a 10ft cieling.Iwould have included a picture of my system for you to see,but I dont think that is permitted.The Salons are something to both see and hear,their appearance is superb,I had some friends down and one of them remarked that he would be afraid to touch them as they looked so perfect,and the sound from them is just as inspiring.The Ayre amps are also a sight to see,they measure 19x11x3.75 inches L W D and weigh over 50 pounds each they are carved from a solid piece of aluminium.Their output is 300 watts into 8ohms and 600 into 4ohms.Their apperance is superb and I have had two plinths made out of blue pearl granite for them to sit on next to each Salon speaker.
I have found the Salons good in both music and a/v surround sound set up with the Voice centre, and rear and side m22 revel speakers giving very dynamic 7.1 surround sound. I have in the past found it nessasery to use my Rel Q400,but the Salons do not need this. In total I am very happy with my complete system and consider my-self very fortunate to have it.
alwyn
post #258 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwynwilliams View Post

Hello,
have now been running the speakers and amps for about 200 hours now to run them in,and they are sounding very good indeed,as I mentioned in a previous post,I have the Esoteric X-01 D2 cd/sacd player with the pre amp Mark Levinson 326s.The room is 20ft long by 12ft wide and has a 10ft cieling.Iwould have included a picture of my system for you to see,but I dont think that is permitted.The Salons are something to both see and hear,their appearance is superb,I had some friends down and one of them remarked that he would be afraid to touch them as they looked so perfect,and the sound from them is just as inspiring.The Ayre amps are also a sight to see,they measure 19x11x3.75 inches L W D and weigh over 50 pounds each they are carved from a solid piece of aluminium.Their output is 300 watts into 8ohms and 600 into 4ohms.Their apperance is superb and I have had two plinths made out of blue pearl granite for them to sit on next to each Salon speaker.
I have found the Salons good in both music and a/v surround sound set up with the Voice centre, and rear and side m22 revel speakers giving very dynamic 7.1 surround sound. I have in the past found it nessasery to use my Rel Q400,but the Salons do not need this. In total I am very happy with my complete system and consider my-self very fortunate to have it.
alwyn

Sounds like you have quite an impressive set-up. I'd love to see pictures. Why don't you post a link to a file hosting website, like www.photobucket.com, or insert a couple of pics?
post #259 of 6861
I get a bit mixed up about sending pictures that way,I can send one by e mail and you can show it on the forum if you like.
alwyn
post #260 of 6861
I am a relatively new Revel owner. I thought I was happy with the audio coming out of my old setup, which consisted of NHT (super series) speakers, a Pioneer Elite Receiver and Universal Player. I figured that I would purchase new monitors to start listening to 2-channel material from an even older Yamaha receiver with a phono pre.

Stopped in at my local hi-fi dealer in January looking to listen to a pair for under 2K. I tried the Sonus Faber Domus Concertino, The Quad 12L2, and the M22 (would have like to have heard the Focal Profile 908 but it was not on hand). The Sonus had the upper frequencies and imaging dead on but lacked a bit of bottom extension. The Quads sounded good but had the least amount of upper and inner detail of the three. The Revels had me in tears (In fact, I prefer the M22s to my F32s, bought soon therafter, for2-channel listening of classical and jazz; they sound just a bit more cohesive. And, believe me, I love the F32s). They just disapeared.

Three months later, I have upgraded my whole system to separates for 2-channel and HT, just because I chose the M-22s. They openned my eyes and ears (and wallet) to the type of experience that you cannot get from the mass marketed kit.

Here is a link to my system. It may be the bottom end of "high-end" but listening has become a much more moving experience; one that I did not find at any audio superstore.

I'm afraid to audition pieces like the new Ultima2 line as I am not yet ready to upgrade and I do not want to be left wanting. When I do though, I'll probably need a few tissues.
post #261 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklnj View Post

I am a relatively new Revel owner. I thought I was happy with the audio coming out of my old setup, which consisted of NHT (super series) speakers, a Pioneer Elite Receiver and Universal Player. I figured that I would purchase new monitors to start listening to 2-channel material from an even older Yamaha receiver with a phono pre.

Stopped in at my local hi-fi dealer in January looking to listen to a pair for under 2K. I tried the Sonus Faber Domus Concertino, The Quad 12L2, and the M22 (would have like to have heard the Focal Profile 908 but it was not on hand). The Sonus had the upper frequencies and imaging dead on but lacked a bit of bottom extension. The Quads sounded good but had the least amount of upper and inner detail of the three. The Revels had me in tears (In fact, I prefer the M22s to my F32s, bought soon therafter, for2-channel listening of classical and jazz; they sound just a bit more cohesive. And, believe me, I love the F32s). They just disapeared.

Three months later, I have upgraded my whole system to separates for 2-channel and HT, just because I chose the M-22s. They openned my eyes and ears (and wallet) to the type of experience that you cannot get from the mass marketed kit.

Here is a link to my system. It may be the bottom end of "high-end" but listening has become a much more moving experience; one that I did not find at any audio superstore.

I'm afraid to audition pieces like the new Ultima2 line as I am not yet ready to upgrade and I do not want to be left wanting. When I do though, I'll probably need a few tissues.



Welcome to the wonderful world of Revel. Nice setup you have -- the M22's certainly are quite addictive!
post #262 of 6861
I have a problem with screwing in the spikes on these speakers,they will screw in with the glide end protruding no problem,but when you try to screw them in the other way to have the sharp end protruding,they will not go in.I just wondered if anyone else had this problem,and found a solution.
I cant get any help from Revel,as I imported these into the uk,and they dont like that.
post #263 of 6861
The earliest Studio2s came with incorrectly threaded spikes. They were replaced by Revel.
post #264 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwynwilliams View Post

I have a problem with screwing in the spikes on these speakers,they will screw in with the glide end protruding no problem,but when you try to screw them in the other way to have the sharp end protruding,they will not go in.I just wondered if anyone else had this problem,and found a solution.
I cant get any help from Revel,as I imported these into the uk,and they dont like that.

I got mine about a month ago and my feet didn't fit either but my dealer brought new ones over the next day which fit fine.....Might have been a bad batch or something.
post #265 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

I got mine about a month ago and my feet didn't fit either but my dealer brought new ones over the next day which fit fine.....Might have been a bad batch or something.

Thanks for the info. I contacted Revel by e mail and they just told me to use the glide end on the carpeted floor,no offer to supply new ones
post #266 of 6861
I have owned Studio for few years and have been enjoying it immensely. Originally I was thinking of upgrading to Studio2 but after seeing the Salon2 at Lyrics, now I am thinking about the Salon2 instead. Can someone fill me in as far as sonic comparison between the Studio and Studio2/Salon2? I am using Pass Lab 350.5 and Rowland Consummate and Sony SCD-1(Modded). Thanks.
post #267 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifatchoi View Post

I have owned Studio for few years and have been enjoying it immensely. Originally I was thinking of upgrading to Studio2 but after seeing the Salon2 at Lyrics, now I am thinking about the Salon2 instead. Can someone fill me in as far as sonic comparison between the Studio and Studio2/Salon2? I am using Pass Lab 350.5 and Rowland Consummate and Sony SCD-1(Modded). Thanks.

One things for sure,to get the best out of the new salons you need power at least 300 watts,I am using the Ayre MX-R and they sound great
post #268 of 6861
A little off topic but, I was hoping that some of the Studio/Salon owners would chime in. I own a pair of the Studios and was wondering if there's a polish that you can use on the speakers that would remove swirls.
post #269 of 6861
I know about that. My Pass has 350 wpc. Any other inputs? Thanks
post #270 of 6861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkledorf View Post

A little off topic but, I was hoping that some of the Studio/Salon owners would chime in. I own a pair of the Studios and was wondering if there's a polish that you can use on the speakers that would remove swirls.

The original series (not the /2) were done with automotive paint/process and good quality auto polish should do the job.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Revel Owners Thread