or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Revel Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Revel Owners Thread - Page 94

post #2791 of 6798
Which ones?
post #2792 of 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Which ones?


I have a set of M22s crossed to a pair of JBL PS1400 subs, and a 5.2 set of JBL PT800/PC600/PS1400s (PT800s are a cousin of the Revel2 Gem).
post #2793 of 6798
Nice.
I love well-designed 2-way monitors.

I had a pair of Harbeth HLP3ES speakers hooked to a sub.

Unless you're looking for high SPL, they disappear with the right recording and just sound like music.
post #2794 of 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Nice.
I love well-designed 2-way monitors.

I had a pair of Harbeth HLP3ES speakers hooked to a sub.

Unless you're looking for high SPL, they disappear with the right recording and just sound like music.

Never heard anything but praise for Harbeth -- they must have sounded terrific.
post #2795 of 6798
Well, looks like I will soon be joining the revel club. Just put a deposit down for a used pair of studio 2's in great shape. Should hopefully have them in a week or two. Upgrading from paradigm studio 100s so i'm hoping this is a nice upgrade.
post #2796 of 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by howaboutthat41 View Post

I have a set of M22s crossed to a pair of JBL PS1400 subs, and a 5.2 set of JBL PT800/PC600/PS1400s (PT800s are a cousin of the Revel2 Gem).

I also have the JBL PT800/PS1400 stacks. To me, the PT800's tweeters are very detailed, yet at the same time buttery smooth. How do feel the Revel M22s' top end compares/contrasts with the PT800's?
post #2797 of 6798
The Revel F208s have a 6 week wait. What would be a good alternative to this?
post #2798 of 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post

The Revel F208s have a 6 week wait. What would be a good alternative to this?

How soon are you looking to buy, and where are you? I know where a set of F208 are in TX. Also a set of F206.
post #2799 of 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

How soon are you looking to buy, and where are you? I know where a set of F208 are in TX. Also a set of F206.

Early Feb. is my timeframe and in Chicago area. We have dealers here but no one has it in stock.
post #2800 of 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by howaboutthat41 View Post

Never heard anything but praise for Harbeth -- they must have sounded terrific.
They do, I just heard them a couple weeks ago at my friend's house:)

Hey robbbby, congratulations!!

I confidently predict you are going to love the Studio2s.
I hope the next 2 weeks go by fast;)

Please be sure to post your impressions.
Edited by Milt99 - 1/20/13 at 8:54am
post #2801 of 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post


Early Feb. is my timeframe and in Chicago area. We have dealers here but no one has it in stock.
rolleyes.gif why let a short wait deprive you of the speakers you heard and want. Speakers you'll be living with for the next 10-15 years...
post #2802 of 6798
I got worried about the supply of the M106, so I just went ahead and reserved the only pair the local shop have coming in next week. Sight Unseen! or heard. smile.gif

It will be interesting to compare them to the Focal 1007Be that I have now, which is a higher end line in brand than the Performa. The shop did have a pair of M22s. Smooth and clear and balanced. They had a pair of Focal 807v, the M22 sounded better in the midrange and a more relaxed. I would not call it hot. The 807 sounded a little congested and a bit boomy. The shop had a pair of KEFs (i think it was their entry line) that I didn't care for. tongue.gifsmile.gif

It's tough to judge speakers in most of these hifi shops. They had a square room that was boomy and all speakers close up against the wall and couch was up against the back wall, just a bad environment for bass. And the Focals were towards the corner of the room making them even more boomy. They did have a couple bass traps in front corner but they were wimpy size.
post #2803 of 6798
I have the Studio 1's, and I wonder how the 208's would compare to them. I may have to make a trip to Columbus to give the 208's a listen.
post #2804 of 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

I also have the JBL PT800/PS1400 stacks. To me, the PT800's tweeters are very detailed, yet at the same time buttery smooth. How do feel the Revel M22s' top end compares/contrasts with the PT800's?

They are extremely similar to my ears.
post #2805 of 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkledorf View Post

I have the Studio 1's, and I wonder how the 208's would compare to them. I may have to make a trip to Columbus to give the 208's a listen.

That would be interesting. As I said according to the Revel rep the Performa3 F208 is 90% of the studio2's sound quality. And I agree that it's close but still very distinguishable.

Also the overall tone is extremely similar.

I wonder what the improvements were when they designed the studio2 vs studio1.
post #2806 of 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post

That would be interesting. As I said according to the Revel rep the Performa3 F208 is 90% of the studio2's sound quality. And I agree that it's close but still very distinguishable.

Also the overall tone is extremely similar.

I wonder what the improvements were when they designed the studio2 vs studio1.

IF you care look through the Stereophile website, their initial review of the Salon2s talks about the differences and yo ucan also read the original review of the Studios and go from there.

All new drivers, cabinets and crossovers basically.
The original Studio had 2 tweeters the front firing one made from aluminum and the rear is cloth, the woofers were a composite of materials, the mid was titanium as now but the magnets(neodymium rare-earth) at the least is different.
The front baffle is radically different as is the cabinet.
Just a tweak here and there wink.gif
post #2807 of 6798
That would be interesting for me aswell...
post #2808 of 6798
Hey guys, while i'm waiting for my studios to show up i'm trying to clean up and organize everything and figure out speaker placement. My room is 13 feet deep with the listening couch directly against the back wall. There are essentially no side walls since it is a large living room with the gear in the middle, the width of the room is about 30 feet. As a starting point before I start making adjustments, what would be a good distance between the speakers to start with?
post #2809 of 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post

Well, looks like I will soon be joining the revel club. Just put a deposit down for a used pair of studio 2's in great shape. Should hopefully have them in a week or two. Upgrading from paradigm studio 100s so i'm hoping this is a nice upgrade.
i think it will be one awesome upgrade. Congrats.
post #2810 of 6798
Can anyone please help me with the information about how to find out the manufacturing date of a Revel Speaker by using the Serial number appearing on the back of the box? Will really appreciate!
post #2811 of 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich wu View Post

It's good to see the Revel thread active again. I am a huge Revel fan and have owned many of their speakers over the years. I just posted pictures of my Revel Salon 2 in the equipment configuration thread. If you guys are interested, here's the link:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1289800/modest-system-in-my-living-room/30#post_22857235

that's pretty nice Rich, but is that what you call a modest system? smile.giftongue.gif

Since that's such a sweet system I would suggest moving the screen lower and maybe bigger and definitely darkening the walls.
post #2812 of 6798
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post

Hey guys, while i'm waiting for my studios to show up i'm trying to clean up and organize everything and figure out speaker placement. My room is 13 feet deep with the listening couch directly against the back wall. There are essentially no side walls since it is a large living room with the gear in the middle, the width of the room is about 30 feet. As a starting point before I start making adjustments, what would be a good distance between the speakers to start with?

Equilateral triangle is a good place to start if you are listening to stereo.
post #2813 of 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Equilateral triangle is a good place to start if you are listening to stereo.
+1 and it applies to L\C\R speaker system as well.

You can also experiment with the Normal, Contour and Boundary settings on the back of the speaker if need be.
If your speakers don't have the manual included, I recommend downloading it from the Revel website.
If nothing else it will help pass 25 minutes or so until your speakers arrive wink.gif
post #2814 of 6798
Wow, that places the speakers quite far apart. Did a little sketchup drawing and it works out to be 9' 5" between speakers from center to center.
post #2815 of 6798
In my opinion and experience, too much space between two speakers isn't the best solution. I have seen professional demo's in huge rooms and they always kept the distance relative small, if I remember correctly, the Revel manual also states that you need to keep that in a specific range, but you have to keep in mind the boundary effect too.
post #2816 of 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post

Wow, that places the speakers quite far apart. Did a little sketchup drawing and it works out to be 9' 5" between speakers from center to center.

That is not automatically too much. My system is setup in a room about 27 ft wide and my L/R are spread 9.5 ft C/C.
I played around with finding the best locations for two months. And it works for both the L212 and PT800 (think Gem2).
So it make no difference if I am listening to a stereo source or MCM. In stereo I get a strong phantom center.
If you find out that you do not have a good center image, then you would need to move them closer together.
post #2817 of 6798
The Performa3's center channel C205 has the very MTM configuration that Harman's former head of research has denounced. From Floyd Toole's book "Sound Reproduction":
Quote:
Never use simple midrange-tweeter-midrange horizontal center loudspeakers because of their atrocious off-axis performance.

The C205's tweeter is crossed at a relative low 1.7khz, but even at this frequency the wavelength is 20cm, less than the distance between the two midranges, which subjects the speaker to interference artifacts.

All of Harman's other center channel speakers have an extra midrange below the tweeter to avoid this problem. Even the Concerta line's C12 has it.

I'd like to see if Harman has an explanation here.
post #2818 of 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralguy View Post

The Performa3's center channel C205 has the very MTM configuration that Harman's former head of research has denounced. From Floyd Toole's book "Sound Reproduction":
The C205's tweeter is crossed at a relative low 1.7khz, but even at this frequency the wavelength is 20cm, less than the distance between the two midranges, which subjects the speaker to interference artifacts.

All of Harman's other center channel speakers have an extra midrange below the tweeter to avoid this problem. Even the Concerta line's C12 has it.

I'd like to see if Harman has an explanation here.

The C205 does have one difference, that being the waveguide is rotated 90* from normal. But I still don't like it does not have a MR driver. And as such, I doubt its as good as the JBL LC2 and certainly not as good as the PC600.
post #2819 of 6798
Does anyone have any more information on the backorder status of the Performa3's? ETA still on 02/27, or has that changed any?
post #2820 of 6798
Addicto,

I was told 1/30/13 for the C208 and F206s, and 2/10/13 for the F208s. I have not been informed otherwise at this point. It is possible that dealers who orgered later may be getting later deliveries. I already have all of the other speakers in the series with exception of the two subwoofers. I do not believe there is a firm release date for these subs yet.

Dennis
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Revel Owners Thread