or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The BEST Movies Nobody Has Heard Of?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The BEST Movies Nobody Has Heard Of? - Page 17

post #481 of 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

+1 BTW, Tangerine Dream does the soundtrack for "The Sorcerer"!!

Needs a widescreen disc; the only copy I've seen is 4:3.

The scenes where they cross the flooding river on that bridge: I can't believe they had people who were actually willing to do it.

-Bill
post #482 of 601
This is one of very few cases where I like both the original Wages of Fear and the remake. I think they each stand on their own as very good films and am not asking why did they remake that?
post #483 of 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyth22 View Post

This is one of very few cases where I like both the original Wages of Fear and the remake. I think they each stand on their own as very good films and am not asking why did they remake that?

Actually there were two remakes: Violent Road (aka Hell's Highway), directed by Howard W. Koch in 1958; and Sorcerer, directed by William Friedkin in 1977, both are American remakes of the French film Le salaire de la peur aka The Wages of Fear.
post #484 of 601
Check out "Guilty Conscience" (1985) starring Anthony Hopkins. Don't be put off by the fact this was a TV movie . It's a murder mystery with plenty of twists. Hopkins, Blythe Danner, & Swoosie Kurtz all put in worthy performances.
post #485 of 601
post #486 of 601
A movie I had never heard of.

5 Minutes of Heaven (2008)... The balcony scene is way cool.

Stumbled upon it flipping channels.
post #487 of 601
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. The thread is here for this gem of a movie. Every movie buff should watch this masterpiece.
post #488 of 601
a tale of two sisters, im a cyborg but that's ok, ponette.
by nobody, im going to interpret that as usa audience.
the first two titles are korean and did fairly well. the third is french and the first foreign film i ever viewed. i'd be certain many here have watched it, but if not, queue it from your rental company of choice. the girl will put any child star to shame, dakota fanning, mcauly caulkin, hannah montana girl.

a domestic film im not sure many would enjoy is me and you and everyone we know. for certain i know those with an agenda against everything will hate it. but if youve got 90 minutes i'd recommend this as well.
post #489 of 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp7 View Post

a domestic film im not sure many would enjoy is me and you and everyone we know. for certain i know those with an agenda against everything will hate it. but if youve got 90 minutes i'd recommend this as well.

+1 "Me and You and Everyone We Know"
post #490 of 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

Actually there were two remakes: Violent Road (aka Hell's Highway), directed by Howard W. Koch in 1958; and Sorcerer, directed by William Friedkin in 1977, both are American remakes of the French film Le salaire de la peur aka The Wages of Fear.

Hey Airboss: Thanks for that; I'll check it out if I can find a copy.
post #491 of 601
Daddy and Them. Watched this last night on DVR from IFC. Billy Bob wrote and directed this quirky and unusual story with a cast of...

Billy Bob Thornton
Laura Dern
Diane Ladd
Kelly Preston
Andy Griffith
Jamie Lee Curtis
Ben Affleck

Walton Goggins has a LMAO confession toward the end. What a great job!

This one is not for the little ones because of the strong language, and may not be for some adults simply because they may not like it - my wife left after about 20 minutes, saying, “I guess there are people like that.” Yep, there are, which is what makes it funny and very real. You just have to hang in there or you will miss some funny scenes. This is classic Billy Bob.
post #492 of 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Daddy and Them. Watched this last night on DVR from IFC. Billy Bob wrote and directed this quirky and unusual story with a cast of...

Billy Bob Thornton
Laura Dern
Diane Ladd
Kelly Preston
Andy Griffith
Jamie Lee Curtis
Ben Affleck

Walton Goggins has a LMAO confession toward the end. What a great job!

This one is not for the little ones because of the strong language, and may not be for some adults simply because they may not like it - my wife left after about 20 minutes, saying, I guess there are people like that. Yep, there are, which is what makes it funny and very real. You just have to hang in there or you will miss some funny scenes. This is classic Billy Bob.

Daddy and Them is the blackest of black comedies, which, alas, a lot of people don't like. I love black comedies, though, and thought that Daddy and Them was a gem. Interestingly, IMDb voters widely hated it, giving it a average score of only 5.7 Stars out of 10. In stark contrast, 83% of the reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes were favorable. Go figure.
post #493 of 601
I had never heard of Baby Doll until I saw the DVD. It was withdrawn from theaters in 1956 for reasons of obscenity and has been hard to find since.

I have a brief review here.

-Bill
post #494 of 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I had never heard of Baby Doll until I saw the DVD. It was withdrawn from theaters in 1956 for reasons of obscenity and has been hard to find since.

I have a brief review here.

-Bill

But if you really want to see all of Carroll Baker, you need to see Baba Yaga.

Personally, I wouldn't categorize either of these films as "great". But Baby Doll (if nothing else) is historically significant.
post #495 of 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I had never heard of Baby Doll until I saw the DVD. It was withdrawn from theaters in 1956 for reasons of obscenity and has been hard to find since.

I have a brief review here.

-Bill

I've always liked Baby Doll. Carol Baker couldn't act but at the time I didn't really care. By some miracle, she was nominated for an Oscar, which I thought had more to do with the quality of the screenplay and direction than anything else. More seriously, Baby Doll is a solid film, with a screenplay by Tennessee Williams, directed by Elia Kazan, and starring Karl Malden and Eli Wallach. That's not too shabby. Thanks for the reminder. I might get the DVD from NF and watch the movie again sometime.
post #496 of 601
I tripped and fell over the BD of the 2007 director's cut of Payback (1999) at my neighborhood BB yesterday. The original sank like a stone amidst a lot of controversy. Fortunately, Brian Helgeland, who both wrote and directed it, extensively recut it in 2007 to match what he had wanted to do in the first place. The original was so unremarkable that I forgotten I had seen it until a wonderful scene with James Coburn as a mob boss reminded me that I had, indeed, seen the original, different than it was in many ways from the director's cut.

I understand why Helgeland, at that time a first time director, was not allowed to make his version of what he later did with the director's cut. The recut version on the 2007 BD is the blackest of black comedies, with Mel Gibson as a mean, murderous psychopath, who nonetheless has a curious streak of morality. Despite the film's having been written and filmed in the '90s it struck me as refreshingly original and compelling. Highly, highly recommended, 9 Stars out of 10!

EDIT: It occurred to me after I posted the above that I failed to point out the only downside to the BD. Unfortunately, it lacks an HD soundtrack. The only audio choices are DD 5.1 and the director's commentary. DD 5.1 was fine, though, because there is not much going on in the surround channels and the LFE is underwhelming, although the DD 5.1 track handled the dialog admirably.
post #497 of 601
Tunes of Glory (1960), Alex Guiness. Haven't seen it in years. Stiil can hear the theme music and feel great sadness. Just added it to my amazon cart. 4.94 stars at amazon.
post #498 of 601
Tell No One is a delightful French mystery based on a story by Harlan Coben. It is challenging and reguires your full intention but I found it completely engaging. Francois Cluzet, Marie-Josee Croze and Kristin Scott Thomas are first rate in their roles and the legendary Jean Rochefort is a wonder to behold. Subtitles

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362225/
post #499 of 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I tripped and fell over the BD of the 2007 director's cut of Payback (1999) at my neighborhood BB yesterday. The original sank like a stone amidst a lot of controversy. Fortunately, Brian Helgeland, who both wrote and directed it, extensively recut it in 2007 to match what he had wanted to do in the first place. The original was so unremarkable that I forgotten I had seen it until a wonderful scene with James Coburn as a mob boss reminded me that I had, indeed, seen the original, different than it was in many ways from the director's cut.

I understand why Helgeland, at that time a first time director, was not allowed to make his version of what he later did with the director's cut. The recut version on the 2007 BD is the blackest of black comedies, with Mel Gibson as a mean, murderous psychopath, who nonetheless has a curious streak of morality. Despite the film's having been written and filmed in the '90s it struck me as refreshingly original and compelling. Highly, highly recommended, 9 Stars out of 10!

EDIT: It occurred to me after I posted the above that I failed to point out the only downside to the BD. Unfortunately, it lacks an HD soundtrack. The only audio choices are DD 5.1 and the director's commentary. DD 5.1 was fine, though, because there is not much going on in the surround channels and the LFE is underwhelming, although the DD 5.1 track handled the dialog admirably.

I had picked this up for $10 and finally got around to watching it. I wouldn't put it on any "best" list, but it was good and entertaining enough. I put in the "sell on ebay" afterwards thought because I can't see myself ever caring to watch it again.
post #500 of 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug2 View Post

Tunes of Glory (1960), Alex Guiness. Haven't seen it in years. Stiil can hear the theme music and feel great sadness. Just added it to my amazon cart. 4.94 stars at amazon.

Tunes of Glory is one of my all time favorite films. I have owned the DVD for years and still watch it from time to time. Alec Guinness and John Mills were both at the tops of their games. Too many more actors to mention in its large ensemble case were wonderful, too. It is a thoughtful character study in which the immovable object and the irresistible force collide with disastrous results, It is a great, great movie!
post #501 of 601
Whale Music - (1994)

IMHO, one of the finest films to come out of Canada. Maury Chaykin is astonishing as the Brian Wilson-esque Desmond Howl, a successful musician and composer who lives in self-imposed exile in a ramshackled mansion. Driven to extreme eccentricity and hallucinatory experiences, he lives alone, shunning contact from the outside world. He wakes one morning to find Claire, a runaway / exotic dancer asleep on his couch. He eventually gives her permission to stay, and she soon finds out about his latest musical project. He is writing a musical composition that he hopes will summon the whales who come near his oceanview mansion. As the movie progresses, Desmond and Claire form an unlikely and unusual bond. We also slowly learn the true reasons behind Desmond's despair, and the real inspiration for wanting to write his magnum opus....

Deeply moving, funny, tragic, and unltimately uplifting, with an inspired and haunting soundtrack by the legendary Canadian band, The Rheostatics, Whale Music is a wonderful film.

Good luck finding it.
post #502 of 601
post #503 of 601
"The Secret In Their Eyes" is a really good foreign movie about a man's search for a woman's murderer. It was supposed to come out on DVD in mid-August but the street date may have been delayed.

Apologies if this title was posted earlier.
post #504 of 601
Last night I watched In Search of Beethoven on Netflix streaming. Wow, what a great film! Over the course of 139 minutes, the director, Phil Grabsky, uses actors, artists, conductors, and writers, and, of course, Beethoven's great music to tell his inspiring but sad story. Despite his genius, Beethoven was an emotional cripple and was cursed with ever deteriorating health, including total deafness. That he could retain his focus and creative energy to give us his massive body of work is a tribute to his dedication. Highest recommendations!

In Search of Beethoven is also available on DVD from Netflix.
post #505 of 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagination View Post

"The Secret In Their Eyes" is a really good foreign movie about a man's search for a woman's murderer. It was supposed to come out on DVD in mid-August but the street date may have been delayed.

Apologies if this title was posted earlier.

Here's a thread I started back in Feb on this movie:

"The Secret In Their Eyes"

Excellent movie!
post #506 of 601
Rampage
post #507 of 601
A Great Day in Harlem
Buffalo 66
Deadman
Downfall
Eat, Drink, Man, Women
Everything Is Illuminated
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Lost Highway
Mountains of The Moon
My Life As A Dog
Pelle The Conqueror
Quills
Seven Beauties
She's The One
Slaughterhouse Five
Straight, No Chaser
Swept Away (Original Version)
Swimming to Cambodia
The Fast Runner
The Marriage of Maria Braun
The Proposition
The Secret of Roan Inish
The Secret of Santa Vittoria
The Straight Story
The Tin Drum
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Tell No One
Track 29
Vanishing Point
Waking Ned Devine
post #508 of 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tao View Post

A Great Day in Harlem
Buffalo 66
Deadman
Downfall
Eat, Drink, Man, Women
Everything Is Illuminated
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Lost Highway
Mountains of The Moon
My Life As A Dog
Pelle The Conqueror
Quills
Seven Beauties
She's The One
Slaughterhouse Five
Straight, No Chaser
Swept Away (Original Version)
Swimming to Cambodia
The Fast Runner
The Marriage of Maria Braun
The Proposition
The Secret of Roan Inish
The Secret of Santa Vittoria
The Straight Story
The Tin Drum
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Tell No One
Track 29
Vanishing Point
Waking Ned Devine

Well, I have heard of 11 of these, but only seen 4 of them.
post #509 of 601
Barbarosa
post #510 of 601
Caught this one on cable PPV. Very good.

The Man of the Year (O Homem do Ano)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312773/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The BEST Movies Nobody Has Heard Of?