or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › New DVDO iScan VP50
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New DVDO iScan VP50 - Page 5

post #121 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by StooMonster View Post

Josh said above that VP50 (and I believe VP30 and VP20) will soon have EDID edit capabilities so that we can force interlaced signals over HDMI.

In Sky HD's case we know that this works (you're all welcome BTW ) but if it doesn't Dale Adams has dicussed his "reinterlace" algorithm in other forums/posts, this algorithm extracts an SD interlaced signal from a deinterlaced one. i.e. it extracts the original 480i from 480p (or 576i from 576p) so that VRS can deinterlace it "properly".

Either or both of these should solve the forced progressive SD over HDMI issue with Sky HD, HD DVD, BluRay, etc. If we don't see them in first version of VP50 software, I am hoping that we'll see them in later versions.

StooMonster

Would this upgrade be in the form of just a firmware download then if as you say it is not in the first issue of the units?
post #122 of 6314
See the Upgrade program has been posted
post #123 of 6314
Can I buy through AVS using the upgrade program?
post #124 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus430@zen.co. View Post

Would this upgrade be in the form of just a firmware download then if as you say it is not in the first issue of the units?

Yep, that's right.

One of the interesting things about VP50 is that a lot more of it can be upgraded via firmware update than was the case for VP30+ABT102, where ABT102 could not be changed once it was in production.

Josh etal are aware that this is a critical feature for many of their customers, and I believe we'll see something before too long.

StooMonster
post #125 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus430@zen.co. View Post

Josh,
Unless the vp50 is able to force the sky box to transmit sd signals at 576i through hdmi its not going to be of much use to us in the uk,I know that we can recieve this signal through component but sky intend to cut off this output before very long.Will you do something to sort this out for us very soon?

The EDID or de-progressive news is good, but I don't think the sentence in bold is true. Do you have a source for that?

Apart from which, I don't want digital until I've got a panel that can take native res @ 50 over digital. Seems little point having a scaler otherwise. If the vp could transcode digital to analogue, then great. Thanks good ol' HDCP :angry:
post #126 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by choddo2006 View Post

The EDID or de-progressive news is good, but I don't think the sentence in bold is true. Do you have a source for that?

Apart from which, I don't want digital until I've got a panel that can take native res @ 50 over digital. Seems little point having a scaler otherwise. If the vp could transcode digital to analogue, then great. Thanks good ol' HDCP :angry:

I think the "Sky will stop supporting...." is probably refering to the fact that the second generation HD boxes won't have a component output. They can't "stop supporting" component on the current boxes - they've been sold with that capability - I can't see they'd be allowed to turn it off. And, with the second gen. of boxes, who knows if they'll have the same 576p issue.
post #127 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS View Post

I think the "Sky will stop supporting...." is probably refering to the fact that the second generation HD boxes won't have a component output. They can't "stop supporting" component on the current boxes - they've been sold with that capability - I can't see they'd be allowed to turn it off. And, with the second gen. of boxes, who knows if they'll have the same 576p issue.

I dont think Sky have used hdcp yet but when they do,hdmi will be the only way.I think I am right in saying this.
post #128 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus430@zen.co. View Post

I dont think Sky have used hdcp yet but when they do,hdmi will be the only way.I think I am right in saying this.

All HDMI output of Sky HD is HDCP encrypted, except channel 998. Trouble with Sky HD's stb is the component output is 'soft' and has chroma timing issues.

Back on topic, is VP50's Precision Video Scaling II the same as VP30 or has this been tweaked and enhanced?

StooMonster
post #129 of 6314
StooMonster,

I'm sure you noticed on page 1 that Josh noted Precision Video Scaling with Enhanced Sharpness control. This may be an answer to the softness that some have noted with DVDO's scaling as compared to Lumagens. I'd love to hear a more detailed description from Josh though.
post #130 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post

I'm sure you noticed on page 1 that Josh noted Precision Video Scaling with Enhanced Sharpness control. This may be an answer to the softness that some have noted with DVDO's scaling as compared to Lumagens. I'd love to hear a more detailed description from Josh though.

That's very perceptive of you AndyN, you hit the nail on the head. Lumagen's scaling is impressive, it is not at all soft and is 'ringing' free. I am hoping that VP50 is the same.

StooMonster
post #131 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by StooMonster View Post

That's very perceptive of you AndyN, you hit the nail on the head. Lumagen's scaling is impressive, it is not at all soft and is 'ringing' free. I am hoping that VP50 is the same.

StooMonster

StooMonster,

I'm hoping too. BTW, I should have said "I don't know if you noticed.." in my above post. Didn't mean to sound all snooty.
post #132 of 6314
Pricing and trade in details are up (see the top sticky)! All I can say is ACT SOON to SAVE!!!
post #133 of 6314
the deal for trade in, is up

all in all you trade in a VP30 with 102 you get a VP50 for 999$

sweet sweet deal IMHO

-Gary
post #134 of 6314
Yes indeed. And considering you are getting a $2000 credit for it, I know many customers didn't even pay that originally!

I feel like Crazy Eddy...these prices are INSANE!!!
post #135 of 6314
or Crazy Gideon

-Gary
post #136 of 6314
Doh!
post #137 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

Pricing and trade in details are up (see the top sticky)! All I can say is ACT SOON to SAVE!!!

Jason, are these going to be drop-shipped from DVDO in Campbell, or are they going all the back to NY first?
post #138 of 6314
The upgrades will drop ship. For those who are straight purchasing, we are getting them in stock and shipping from here.
post #139 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

The upgrades will drop ship. For those who are straight purchasing, we are getting them in stock and shipping from here.

Thanks, I can do ground shipping then, it's overnight for me.
post #140 of 6314
There you go.
post #141 of 6314
Jason, is this offer available for international customers? PM sent
post #142 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

Yes indeed. And considering you are getting a $2000 credit for it, I know many customers didn't even pay that originally!

I feel like Crazy Eddy...these prices are INSANE!!!

Simply amazing! The trade in for my Iscan HD+ is $1000 which is about what I paid for it years ago. Add in the AVS discount and this is an unbeatable deal for truly cutting edge performance.
post #143 of 6314
How true. The $2000 credit (w/ABT) more than fully recovers my investment (and that's what this deal makes my original purchase) on the VP30. It's like an added discount to get the latest and (hopefully) greatest. Now I can really consider HD-DVD since the VP50 will probably scale the 1080i down to a beautiful 720p for my 3 chip DLP. When do these ship again?
post #144 of 6314
Josh,

The VP30 thread indicated that the next gen VP from DVDO (now called the VP50) would continue to use the Sil504 DI chip. Is this still the case?
post #145 of 6314
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen View Post

Josh,

The VP30 thread indicated that the next gen VP from DVDO (now called the VP50) would continue to use the Sil504 DI chip. Is this still the case?

I believe that reference may have had to do with the now released VP20. All video processing in the VP50 was developed in house at ABT.
post #146 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen View Post

Josh,

The VP30 thread indicated that the next gen VP from DVDO (now called the VP50) would continue to use the Sil504 DI chip. Is this still the case?

Mark, I wouldn't presume to answer for Josh, but in my reading of the comparison page, it shows the Sil504 "check marked" for the VP30, but NOT for the VP50. It shows a box solely for the VP50 with: "VRS HD Precision Deinterlacing (1080i)" which may mean this replaces the Sil504. Otherwise, it may be a typo. Just what I took from the comparison chart.

EDIT - Oops, I see Josh got in just ahead of my, now useless, post. Sorry.
post #147 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino AUS View Post

Jason, is this offer available for international customers? PM sent

Never mind, I read that its an extra $250 for international customers. Was too excited
post #148 of 6314
Did I read correctly that the VP50 does not give the benefit of full de-interlacing to analog (component video) 1080i sources? According to the feature comparison on the website that source is just scaled. Or is this a misprint?
post #149 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino AUS View Post

Never mind, I read that its an extra $250 for international customers. Was too excited



All in all international customers have to pay $2849 including shipping?

Honestly, it doesn't look fair to me, because it is meant to be a promotion special for ALL members of the AVS Forum. In the forum, there is large number of international users. Everybody - doesn't matter where from - should be treaten the same way!
Additional $250 for what? I mean, in the end it is still me who has to pay for additional taxes and custom fees - not DVDO.

I hope that this is not DVDO's last word regarding the VP50 "Preorder Special".
post #150 of 6314
Occasionally a potential customer posts that they don't want to buy the latest DVDO processor because they want to wait for the next model. Everybody chimes in that DVDO is generous with the upgrades, but you've really got to see it to believe it. Here's a break down of my two years or so on the DVDO upgrade train and this isn't even the cheapest way to do it.

All prices are MSRP or AVS, so I believe this is within the forum policy.

Code:
Fall 2004   +$1499 - HD+
Fall 2005   +$1999 - VP30 
            -$1000 - DVDO Trade In to VP30
            -$300 - AVS Discount on VP30
Spring 2006 +$499 - ABT102
            -$300 - Intro Discount on ABT102
Fall 2006   +$2999 - VP50
            -$1600 - DVDO Trade In to VP50
            -$400 - AVS Discount on VP50
Total outlay $3396 vs. cost of new VP50 $2999. Not bad for two years of enjoyment and several major upgrades. Not to mention that I just keep reusing my SDI card or the countless features that were added in free software upgrades.

- Collin
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › New DVDO iScan VP50