or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Customer Reports About Their Professional Calibrations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Customer Reports About Their Professional Calibrations - Page 3

post #61 of 838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post

Here you go:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...page=350&pp=10

It's posted now. Thanks.
post #62 of 838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

How about a
Toshiba 65H82 ?

I only follow a few owner's threads so I depend on others to let me know when a report is posted in threads that I'm not reading.
post #63 of 838
Chuck Williams added a neutral density filter when he calibrated my set. I thought it looked pretty good before but I must admit quite an improvement, even my wife noticed it. Blacker blacks much truer colors and more 3 D like. Changed the picture setting from natural to briliant with the added filter. Very happy!
post #64 of 838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAS ZOSS View Post

Chuck Williams added a neutral density filter when he calibrated my set.

Thanks for the report.
post #65 of 838
I just joined this forum and see that I am not the only one with the shadow problem. I bought my Samsung DLP HL-R5668W in Dec 2005. It worked real great until I came back from a 2 week vacation last week when I noticed a 2 inch (approx.) shadow on the left side of the screen. Unfortunate I am out of warranty. Can anyone tell me what it would cost to get it fixed (Light engine tunnel (integrator) and all? Would appreciate a response.
post #66 of 838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor2 View Post

I just joined this forum and see that I am not the only one with the shadow problem.

Somehow you posted in the wrong thread. This is the one you seem to be interested in.

Shadow on left of Samsung DLP screen
post #67 of 838
There do not seem to be any calibration reports for Toshiba dlp rptv's, either last year's HM196 or this year's HM197 models.

Any reasons or did I miss it?

Shelly
post #68 of 838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

There do not seem to be any calibration reports for Toshiba dlp rptv's, either last year's HM196 or this year's HM197 models.

Any reasons or did I miss it?

Shelly

Yes. There is a reason. I can only read so many threads.

That's why I asked, in the first post, for others to let me know when they found a calibration report that's not in the list.

Reading Samsung, Sony, and some Mitsubishi threads keeps me busy.
post #69 of 838
Wrong Forum:
post #70 of 838
Here's one from earlier this year - Mr Bob does Socal.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=871388


Mr Bob
post #71 of 838
Thread Starter 
If you know of reviews that I've missed let me know. I'm only able to read a few threads.
post #72 of 838
Hey, ht. Love your thread!


I am very grateful for your thread, allowing people to look us up and see reports from others on the work we do.

I am occasionally in PA, it's just a coupla miles down from SC and RC, where I go every week for chiropractic and massage therapy. I live in East Bay, in San Lorenzo, just a quick hop across the SM Br and I'm there, not far from you.

Let me know if there's something I can do to give back to you, now that you have given so much to us calibrators so far. How about a complimentary house call and optics cleaning, if you have a CRT set? It's on the house.

Next time I'm gonna be around PA, I would be glad to stop by and check out your sys and see if there's something I can do for you, either for nothing if it's something like optics cleaning, or for greatly reduced rates if it's a calibration. Or a free checkout of your sys. Yesterday I did a checkout on a guy's new 1080p Samsung, and to the amazement of both of us, it needed no calibration! Was not strictly linear in its grayscale tracking, but averaged out, at his chosen light level it needed no calibration work on grayscale!

And with the DVE filters - the best filters out there, that I know of - it didn't have red push either, and was in fact VERY linear in its color decoding. Didn't need any work there either.


Keep up the good work -




Mr Bob
post #73 of 838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

Hey, ht. Love your thread!

Thanks.

Quote:


Let me know if there's something I can do to give back to you, now that you have given so much to us calibrators so far. How about a complimentary house call and optics cleaning, if you have a CRT set? It's on the house.

That's very generous. I'm covered (720p DLP Samsung HL-P5063 - 2004) at the moment. Thanks for the thought.

Quote:


Yesterday I did a checkout on a guy's new 1080p Samsung, and to the amazement of both of us, it needed no calibration! Was not strictly linear in its grayscale tracking, but averaged out, at his chosen light level it needed no calibration work on grayscale!

That's amazing. Which model was it?

Did you have a chance to see a grid on it? There have been a lot of people complaining about bowing lines -- much more than in the past when Samsung's cases were a bit more rigid.
post #74 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Thanks.

That's very generous. I'm covered (720p DLP Samsung HL-P5063 - 2004) at the moment. Thanks for the thought.

That's amazing. Which model was it?


I don't have the exact model number, but it looked like a 57", and was 1080p, so you know it's the latest and greatest new offering in their lineup. All plasmas before it will have been 720p.


Quote:


Did you have a chance to see a grid on it? There have been a lot of people complaining about bowing lines -- much more than in the past when Samsung's cases were a bit more rigid.


Yes, and there were no problems at all with it. Everything straight and very linear in there. As a fixed pixel plasma, this was not unexpected. I have never seen a plasma with bowed edges, as it's all fixed. I don't believe that can be changed, in a plasma.


Mr Bob
post #75 of 838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob View Post

I don't have the exact model number, but it looked like a 57", and was 1080p, so you know it's the latest and greatest new offering in their lineup. All plasmas before it will have been 720p.

I just did a google and found these 1080p Samsung plasma sets currently available.

FP-T5084 50" 1080p
FP-T6374 63" 1080p

These models seem to be due in September. Maybe you saw a Korean market set.

FP-T5884 58" (Due out in September -- Google in April)

FP-T5094 50" 1080p (Wireless due in September -- Google in April)
FP-T5884 58" 1080p (Wireless due in September -- Google in April)

Quote:


Yes, and there were no problems at all with it. Everything straight and very linear in there. As a fixed pixel plasma, this was not unexpected. I have never seen a plasma with bowed edges, as it's all fixed. I don't believe that can be changed, in a plasma.

Sorry. I assumed that you had seen a RPTV given the forum.
post #76 of 838
Sony KDS70XBR2

This will be fairly short for now - I'll probably add more after living with my "new" set longer.

Jeff came to Arizona on Monday on one of his only occasional Southwestern trips and I sprung for the full setup with him.

I'm still checking out the picture and noticing all the improvements, but the sound improvement (especially with the subwoofer integration) is nothing but astounding.

And he is such the ultimate professional. It was such a pleasure being with him for the 5 hours!

Too bad I can't point all this out to my wife - I hid the whole visit from her. Oh, well, she probably would say that she doesn't notice anything different anyway.
post #77 of 838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryaz1 View Post

Sony KDS70XBR2

Jeff came to Arizona on Monday on one of his only occasional Southwestern trips and I sprung for the full setup with him.

I'll link to your report in the owner's thread for the XBR2 sets.
post #78 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post


Sorry. I assumed that you had seen a RPTV given the forum.

No 1080p CRT RPTVs were ever produced. 1080i only. Ceiling pjs, yes. RPTVs, no.


Mr Bob
post #79 of 838
Thread Starter 
I'm not able to read all the threads where folks post reports of their calibration. If you know about reports that I've missed please let me know.
post #80 of 838
Just thought I'd liven up this thread a bit with some eye candy...

And to show that CRT is NOT dead -




CSI from awhile ago on my Dish HD DVR -

They eyes have it. Doesn't LOOK like a db, does it?...

[/url]

Dean Cain, guest appearance

[/url]
post #81 of 838
Bob, Mits has a 73 inch CRT ? They stop making the 40 inch Analog & said they would do Big Screen Projection till Plasma lasts as long as Our old sets do... I know they hated it when Sony had the HD 40 inch CRT...Now You say the make CRT 's again ?
post #82 of 838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post

Bob, Mits has a 73 inch CRT ? They stop making the 40 inch Analog & said they would do Big Screen Projection till Plasma lasts as long as Our old sets do... I know they hated it when Sony had the HD 40 inch CRT...Now You say the make CRT 's again ?

I don't think so. Bob calibrates and does mods to existing CRT based RPTV sets.
post #83 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post

Bob, Mits has a 73 inch CRT ? They stop making the 40 inch Analog & said they would do Big Screen Projection till Plasma lasts as long as Our old sets do... I know they hated it when Sony had the HD 40 inch CRT...Now You say the make CRT 's again ?

Yes, there has been a 73" CRT in their lineup since their initial early adopter HD units began, their WS 73903 was one of the very first of their HDreadys. Till they stopped making ANY CRT based units about 3 years ago. They stopped making DV CRTs many years before that.

Triple gun, of course, not DV. 42" was the world's largest DV CRT, made by Sony on a limited basis, never thoroughly mass produced and marketed.

It only went up to S video in res, was not HDready, was before that time. Looked fantastic, tho, for SD video, both that and the Mit 40" did. Mit never made HDready DV CRT, tho Sony came out with their sizzling 34" DV HDready, with limited convergence capabilities and the first to ever make a 16x9 DV CRT, ready and eager for true HD content. Those really respond to supertweaking on the image structure, tho were not as equipped as the RPTV class of HDreadys.

Prospective HDready new buyers can prolly find excellent deals on the Sony 34" DV on the used market. It would be hard to find a better DV HDready.


Mr Bob
post #84 of 838
ht,
do you keep a thread going for plasma and lcd calibrations?
i'd like to check it out if you do or someone else does

thanks
post #85 of 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

ht,
do you keep a thread going for plasma and lcd calibrations?
i'd like to check it out if you do or someone else does

thanks

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post11858390
post #86 of 838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

ht,
do you keep a thread going for plasma and lcd calibrations?
i'd like to check it out if you do or someone else does

thanks

Yes. There are two threads. This one and a flat panel thread. They are both cross linked at the top of the first message in each thread.
post #87 of 838
How or where do I find an ISF Calibrator for my Mits WD73734 in Pasadena, CA? Any help would be appreciated. Also, any ideas on the range of cost for such a calibration? Thanks.
post #88 of 838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLord82 View Post

How or where do I find an ISF Calibrator for my Mits WD73734 in Pasadena, CA? Any help would be appreciated. Also, any ideas on the range of cost for such a calibration? Thanks.

David Abrams is in your area. You can read reports about his work using the links in the first page of this thread.

You can contact David at his web site here:

Avical

Say "Hi" to him for me.

You can also find a list of calibrators and their location here:

ISF Calibrators, where are you located? Please post here!
post #89 of 838
htwaits,

Thank you for the recommendation! I hope things are going well up north.

Best,

Dave
post #90 of 838
Sorry, I just have to crow a little...

I just learned that I have been mentioned on the Curt Palme site, a site dedicated to the best CRT reproduction possible, primarily dealing with the immensely capable and expensive triple gun CRT front projectors, the kind they used to buy $20,000 Faroudja scalers for. It is dedicated to the best big screen picture possible, and ceiling pj people are incredibly dedicated to that site. It's a reference site, it's where the REALLY committed videophiles go to get their systems looking their best.

This was in regards to equipment they sponsor there that successfully transcodes HDMI video to component, in all its splendor, with its resulting images NOT limited or neutralized by HDCP. And arriving at the display fully ceiling projector grade.

So if you have a component-only CRT RPTV and have been considering buying new just to get HDMI, your worries are over. Keep your set, spend a few hundred equipping it with ceiling pj grade transcoding equipment, and continue to enjoy the incredible images your CRT set is capable of, head and shoulders better than a lot of the new tech out there, and standing shoulder to shoulder with the best of it.

I am mentioned there in a testimonial by James A, whose Mit 55905 I just calibrated last week, around a year 2001 HDready model. He swears by it, says his set now "outperforms some of the newest stuff out there"...

Check the Curt Palme site -

www.curtpalme.com

and this in particular, it's in the testimonials down below -

http://www.curtpalme.com/Box1020.shtm


Mr Bob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Customer Reports About Their Professional Calibrations