or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Just Got the Toshiba 62HM196 (First Impressions)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just Got the Toshiba 62HM196 (First Impressions) - Page 8

post #211 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

No off setting on yours? I noticed any setting at all crushed blacks.


yea, there is a off option but i thought the pic looked too flat on that setting

Edit: jerastan , what level is your brightness set at? with DC on med i am at 56% but i think i will switch my DC to low .
post #212 of 343
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post

yea, there is a off option but i thought the pic looked too flat on that setting

Hmmm I couldn't stand it on. Crushed blacks and very artificial looking.
post #213 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

Hmmm I couldn't stand it on. Crushed blacks and very artificial looking.


I think your right, I will have to make some changes
post #214 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post

yea, there is a off option but i thought the pic looked too flat on that setting

Edit: jerastan , what level is your brightness set at? with DC on med i am at 56% but i think i will switch my DC to low .

funny. i'm at 57% i used avia to come to that setting, as well as the rest.
post #215 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerastan View Post

funny. i'm at 57% i used avia to come to that setting, as well as the rest.


Ok, thats it, I want to know all your settings, spill it!
post #216 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post

Ok, thats it, I want to know all your settings, spill it!

Not a problem.

Contrast: 70
Brightness: 55 (so I was off by 2..)
Color: 72
Tint: 17
Sharpness: 50 (It didn't make a difference no matter what I did, so I left it at 50)
post #217 of 343
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerastan View Post

Not a problem.

Contrast: 70
Brightness: 55 (so I was off by 2..)
Color: 72
Tint: 17
Sharpness: 50 (It didn't make a difference no matter what I did, so I left it at 50)

Wow yours are vastly different than mine were and are before and after calibration, especially colour and tint.
post #218 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

Wow yours are vastly different than mine were and are before and after calibration, especially colour and tint.

I'm not claiming that these are the "best." It's just what I came up w/ using the AVIA disc. Care to share yours?
post #219 of 343
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerastan View Post

I'm not claimint that these are the "best." It's just what I came up w/ using the AVIA disc. Care to share yours?


Tint -3
Colour 43
Brightness 61 for HD 43 for SD 47 for DVD
Contrast High 50s
NO DC
Sharpness 15
post #220 of 343
Has anyone noticed a slight clicking noise during operation? I believe it's the iris opening and closing in transition from bright scenes to dark scenes, but I'm not sure. It's not too bothersome, but I wanted to know if it was just normal operation?
post #221 of 343
I just purchased the 72HM195. I have noticed blurring and noise when there is fast motion. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a liimitation of DLP technology?

Thanks for any help.
post #222 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jym View Post

I just purchased the 72HM195. I have noticed blurring and noise when there is fast motion. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a liimitation of DLP technology?

Thanks for any help.

It has to be the signal. I have had many different types of DLPs over the past several years and have not had a problem with blurring. Does it happen on DVDs to? With a screen that big you will notice problems with the source a lot more.
post #223 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

Tint -3
Colour 43
Brightness 61 for HD 43 for SD 47 for DVD
Contrast High 50s
NO DC
Sharpness 15

Thanks, I'll try them out. How's your ambient lighting?
post #224 of 343
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerastan View Post

Thanks, I'll try them out. How's your ambient lighting?

It varies but usually pretty dim.
post #225 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

It varies but usually pretty dim.

your settings were a bit too light for my room. i've got sunshine coming in from the left of the room that is unavoidable, so it's got to go back.
post #226 of 343
I told you guys I would give you an update on the Toshiba 62HM116 (196), vs the A-2000 SXRD. In a nutshell both are very nice sets. Had I not seen constant rainbows, the Toshiba would have done me nicely. Side by side at home though, I would have to say the Sony beats the Toshiba overall. It shows fine detail a bit better, color temp is closer to correct, contrast ratio looks a bit better, a little less SSE, and it just looks more 3D overall. The Sony has a bit of mis-convergence though, which is mostly seen around white text. If I was passing out letter grades for overall PQ the Toshiba would get a B and the Sony an A- Good luck to all you Toshiba owners..you have a nice set for sure.
post #227 of 343
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerastan View Post

your settings were a bit too light for my room. i've got sunshine coming in from the left of the room that is unavoidable, so it's got to go back.



It was the colour and tint differences that got my eye.
post #228 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

It was the colour and tint differences that got my eye.


Yeah, I could see that. I was totally shocked at the settings while using AVIA. They were much different than I anticipated.
post #229 of 343
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerastan View Post

Yeah, I could see that. I was totally shocked at the settings while using AVIA. They were much different than I anticipated.

They're so far off from every review and everything I've read you may want it checked.
post #230 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

They're so far off from every review and everything I've read you may want it checked.

I have to agree. Using Avia, I came up with 42-45 color and ~+8 tint. I'm going to be brave one of these days and venture in the service menu because Ferrari red is still not right

I'll try asking again. Is there a source for Toshiba service manuals?
post #231 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post

I have to agree. Using Avia, I came up with 42-45 color and ~+8 tint. I'm going to be brave one of these days and venture in the service menu because Ferrari red is still not right

I'll try asking again. Is there a source for Toshiba service manuals?

I have my brightness (or black level if you prefer) set to 55 with the DC set at low. The 3d color management looks interesting but really not sure how to tweak it.
post #232 of 343
I'm curious, are those settings exclusive to the MX196, or are they available in the HM196 as well? I have the HM116 Costco OEM model and I can only set DC to On or Off and there's no such thing as 3d color management.
post #233 of 343
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post

I'm curious, are those settings exclusive to the MX196, or are they available in the HM196 as well? I have the HM116 Costco OEM model and I can only set DC to On or Off and there's no such thing as 3d color management.

Only the mx196.
post #234 of 343
Update on the SXRD...I have gone from DLP rainbows, to SXRD color uniformity problems. My August build A-2000 looks greenish on the left side, and pinkish on the right side! Quite noticeable on B&W material, or white screen. I am in television hell! HH Gregg is bringing me a new set tomorrow..if it is bad also I give up! Too bad I can't stand the Toshiba rainbows....I still think it's a great set.
post #235 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Update on the SXRD...I have gone from DLP rainbows, to SXRD color uniformity problems. My August build A-2000 looks greenish on the left side, and pinkish on the right side! Quite noticeable on B&W material, or white screen. I am in television hell! HH Gregg is bringing me a new set tomorrow..if it is bad also I give up! Too bad I can't stand the Toshiba rainbows....I still think it's a great set.


Each of these technologies has pluses and minuses, you just have to pick the one thats best for you and your budget. I just love the improvement in the gray-scale with this years Toshiba. Macroblocking and rainbows (for some) still seem to show up depending on the source material from time to time but more often than not this TV looks outstanding!

With the higher bit video processing I have noticed that contouring and banding has been more or less fixed and fade in and fade outs are much more natural
post #236 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Update on the SXRD...I have gone from DLP rainbows, to SXRD color uniformity problems. My August build A-2000 looks greenish on the left side, and pinkish on the right side! Quite noticeable on B&W material, or white screen. I am in television hell! HH Gregg is bringing me a new set tomorrow..if it is bad also I give up! Too bad I can't stand the Toshiba rainbows....I still think it's a great set.

You may need to go look at the new Mitsubishi with its 6-color wheel, it might reduce the RE by going to 6 colors vs. 3.
post #237 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post

You may need to go look at the new Mitsubishi with its 6-color wheel, it might reduce the RE by going to 6 colors vs. 3.

I did check out it...still rainbow hell for my eyes..but otherwise very nice PQ.
post #238 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post

Each of these technologies has pluses and minuses, you just have to pick the one thats best for you and your budget. I just love the improvement in the gray-scale with this years Toshiba. Macroblocking and rainbows (for some) still seem to show up depending on the source material from time to time but more often than not this TV looks outstanding!

With the higher bit video processing I have noticed that contouring and banding has been more or less fixed and fade in and fade outs are much more natural

I guess within reason I can better deal with some color uniformity issues vs constantly seeing rainbows...BUT it pisses me off to pay that much for something that is somewhat defective. Maybe I need to wait 2 or 3 years till LCD, or plasma panels are cheaper in the 60 inch sizes.
post #239 of 343
what is everyone's sitting distance from the 72hm196? i'm thinking about getting one, but have never seen the 72" model... as no stores carry this size. i've only been able to view the 62" model and i like what i see. my sitting distance will be approx. 10-12 feet. will this be far enough away in your opinion? thanks.

- Jason
post #240 of 343
sounds levely to me!!

you will be far enough. i envy you
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Just Got the Toshiba 62HM196 (First Impressions)