or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official JVC HD-xxFH97 HD-xxFN97 HD-xxFC97 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JVC HD-xxFH97 HD-xxFN97 HD-xxFC97 Owners Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltennis View Post

WOW!!! Just got my 61FN97 yesterday. WOW!!! The picture quality is fantastic, even without adjusting any settings the PQ is great. WOW!!! We have floor to ceiling windows on 3 sides of the room, we see very little reflection. When the set is off you see a lot of glare and reflection but when you turn it on the vast majority of it goes away. You have to really look for it to see the glare. My wife noticed immediately that the reflections were gone compared to our old CRT. WOW!!! I attached my old Toshiba DVD with an S-Video cable. The PQ was very good, not as good as HDTV but much better than I was expecting. I can't wait until the DVD war is over and see HD-DVD, Blue Ray on this set. WOW!!! SD picture quality is acceptable. Of course it is not as good as HDTV but it won't stop me from watching an SD channel. WOW!!! In the manual it says that Macintosh computers are not supported but they do work. I am writing this as I am connected to the JVC. I am using a 17" Powerbook G4. You must have video mirroring turned on. I could not get the JVC to be a second monitor to expand my screen space. Be sure to choose 640x480 or 1024x768 at 60Hz. The PQ is crisp and clear, I can read my email from 20 feet away. Now I might have to purchase a longer cable. iPhotos look fantastic. WOW!!! I am going to go back to playing with the settings now. In case I forgot to mention it my overall impression of the JVC is WOW!!!

Damn, I'm so jealous... I live within a few miles from the JVC Corp headquarters and can't find this TV in stock anywhere...


Quote:
Originally Posted by bojingles View Post

Costco has the 56fn97 up on thier website.

Do these tv's support full 1080p signals?

Yes, over HDMI.
post #122 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I wonder what mltennis thinks of his set??

Do you have cable and/or a OTA (indoor or outdoor) antenna that you could do a channel scan and see if the digital channels (NOT analog) that are in your area that are NOT picked up by the original scan (because od direction) can be accessed by entering in the actual UHF channel number (if you know it) or the re-mapped number. Example; the NBC affiliate here is analog ch. 2, their digital channel is ch 33. Most sets it will be re-mapped to 2.1

PS; welcome to the forums.

VideoBruce-

I'm still trying to figure out what you are wanting to test. You want somebody to channel scan, find a channel that didn't come in, then try to go directly to that channel(either by UHF or remap)?

If thats it, I can probably try it this weekend.

When I initially hooked up my TV to my antenna I received like 11 channels. Most of them were junk that I never heard of but I was missing the FOX and NBC affiliate. On a side note, now I have my antenna passed thru my DishNetwork VIP 622 and it only picked up 4 channels so apparently the TV has the better tuner.
post #123 of 6625
Just wondering what size the base is on the new 61" sets? Is it the same as last year?

I have one of last years stands with an approx 34" x 15" swivel pedestal on it and wondering if the new models will fit.
post #124 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I wonder what mltennis thinks of his set??

Do you have cable and/or a OTA (indoor or outdoor) antenna that you could do a channel scan and see if the digital channels (NOT analog) that are in your area that are NOT picked up by the original scan (because od direction) can be accessed by entering in the actual UHF channel number (if you know it) or the re-mapped number. Example; the NBC affiliate here is analog ch. 2, their digital channel is ch 33. Most sets it will be re-mapped to 2.1

PS; welcome to the forums.

I only have cable. I do not have an indoor or outdoor antenna. We live about 35 miles from the closest tv station. Reception was bad so I got rid of the antenna years ago. Sorry I can't check out the unscanned channels.
post #125 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojingles View Post

Costco has the 56fn97 up on thier website.

Do these tv's support full 1080p signals?

I thought Costco was supposedly getting the xxFC97 sets??

Any idea if the FC97's are really the same PQ, just different cabinet and no center input, gold plated terminals or RS232 input?? A dealer here is supposed to get some in 2 weeks.
post #126 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemandan View Post

Alright guys, I gotta ask this...hows the PC and console gaming on these sets? Also, anyone know the max refresh rate thru component, s-video, HDMI, etc? Are they all limited to 60hz?

Thanks!


From what I have read it doesn't matter what input you select or what kind of signal is being carried on it. All signals are converted by the tv to its native resolution, unless of course it is already in its native resolution. In the case of these new JVCs, native resolution is 1080p/60. As for gaming, the biggest problem is ghosting and other image lag problems caused by fast motion. However, LCoS technology driven sets have the fastest refresh rates compared to other RPTV technologies. They all are running between 5 - 10ms, regardless of MFG. For a tv to be able to display 60 frames a second, it must be able to refresh at 16ms or faster/lower. So while the LCoS sets are more than capable of producing the 60 frames a second, they may actually displaying double that due their fast refresh rates. I believe, though I could be wrong, that the LCD driven tvs have the slowest refresh rate. I say this because LCD computer flat panels have only hit 16ms or faster in the last year or so and there was dispute about how the MFGs timed there flat panels. I can't say if the same technology is being used on the LCD HDTVs. I hoped this helped. If you want a good article to read about LCoS technology, do a search for a website called "extremelcos". I can't post urls/hyperlinks yet because I haven't posted enough yet. Oh well.

- joebmed
post #127 of 6625
Cheers joebmed!

Any owners wanna chime in?
post #128 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohurst View Post


Just picked up the 61FN97 today at BB - have not taken it out of the box.

I wanted the FH97 because it was all black, but no one had it in stock in Denver.

Please let us know, as soon as you've unpacked your 61FN97, if you're happy with the black/silver trim, as opposed to the all black cabinet. As far as the gold connectors and the RS232 is concerned, I can't get exited about them, but the cabinet appearance is important to me.

Thanks, John.

.
post #129 of 6625
The silver trim doesn't bother me... it is really thin.
TV in niche

I have 2 black (receiver and HTPC) and 2 silver (HD-DVR and Oppo DVD) components , so the silver is not completely out of place. I personally could care less about the gold connectors or the RS232 input as well...

...and, don't mind the picture, I suck with my camera because it's smarter than I am.
post #130 of 6625
The 'official' JVC website specs show the 70FH97 being smaller in height and depth than the 70FN97. Anyone know if this is true or just a typo?
post #131 of 6625
Thanks, Lankness.

John.
.
post #132 of 6625
Anybody heard anything about shipments of 70" models yet?

Thanks, John
.
post #133 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-berta View Post

I thought Costco was supposedly getting the xxFC97 sets??

Any idea if the FC97's are really the same PQ, just different cabinet and no center input, gold plated terminals or RS232 input?? A dealer here is supposed to get some in 2 weeks.

I have been patiently waiting for these sets to be available in more numbers, and especially through Costco. I figured since they have carried the 720P models of JVC, they would be carrying the 1080P models as well.

My ideal tv would have been the FH97 (I want the all black).

Since Costco is now already showing the FN97, i guess there is no chance they would carry the FH97 as well.?

It is very encouraging to see the initial responses have been great.
Keep them coming....

Thanks
KG
post #134 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnja View Post

Please let us know, as soon as you've unpacked your 61FN97, if you're happy with the black/silver trim, as opposed to the all black cabinet. As far as the gold connectors and the RS232 is concerned, I can't get exited about them, but the cabinet appearance is important to me.

Thanks, John.

.


Not a bit...the silver is subdued and hardly noticeable. My wife was the concern, but she said it looks great!
post #135 of 6625
OK, it seems my 61FN97 has a non-working HDMI digital in 1. It worked until today...I hooked up a 2nd DirecTV H20 direct (bypassing the JVC A/V) and still no picture.

Any ideas on how to further test this before I take it back to the store?
post #136 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohurst View Post

OK, it seems my 61FN97 has a non-working HDMI digital in 1. It worked until today...I hooked up a 2nd DirecTV H20 direct (bypassing the JVC A/V) and still no picture.

Any ideas on how to further test this before I take it back to the store?

That is alarming I saw some similar reports on the 96 series threads. I think that they had two options to fix it:

1) Unplug the TV for a few minutes
2) Use a function in the service menu to reset the HDMI port

I just ordered the same set but I am starting to have second thoughts after looking through the other JVC threads. Sounds like their service is less then steller. I am hoping others will chime in here and set the record streight on that
post #137 of 6625
Does anyone know where I can find a softcopy of the users manual? I searched JVC's support and cannot find one there. It doesn't matter which model, fn or fh. There are just a few items I wanted to know more information about. Thanks.
post #138 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohurst View Post

OK, it seems my 61FN97 has a non-working HDMI digital in 1. It worked until today...I hooked up a 2nd DirecTV H20 direct (bypassing the JVC A/V) and still no picture.

Any ideas on how to further test this before I take it back to the store?

Not sure if its the same in the 97s but, the 96s had a photo sensor in the back that was to disable the HDMIs if anyone were to open the back of the set up. It apparently senses light without opening the set up. In other words, don't use a flashlight around the back of the set. If you have other, non-controlable sources of light back there you'll want to figure out a way to cover the sensors up.
post #139 of 6625
When my wife sat back in the new Berlkine Model 90's in our family room (media room in progress) last week, she said get the big one. For us, that means a 70 JVC rather than a 58 (or so) plasma. You're thinking, wife says buy it what's the problem? Well, I've got my self all tied in a knot over HDMI 1.3. I'm definitely waiting for it before buying a HD-DVD or new receiver. I'm first and foremost an audio nut and will hold out for the much awaited HD-audio formats that require HDMI 1.3.

For the video display, it's not the billions of colors promised by 1.3, but rather the lip sync that has me anxious. We've been suffering along with a Westinghouse 32 LCD and sometimes the delay makes it look like I'm watching a dubbed B-movie. HDMI 1.3 is said to overcome this by synchronizing the source and the display automatically. Just today however, I read something to suggest that the LCOS TVs may not be as susceptible to lip sync issues as DLP sets.

So, for all you new, proud (and fortunate) JVC series 97 owners, what convinced you to spend up to $4500 (for the 70) now rather than waiting 6-9 months for HDMI 1.3 enables TVs?
post #140 of 6625
Quote:


I'm still trying to figure out what you are wanting to test. You want somebody to channel scan, find a channel that didn't come in, then try to go directly to that channel(either by UHF or remap)?

I guess I'm not explaining this right. It's really very simple.

Example; there are 5 stations NW of your location. There are an additional 3 stations south of you. That's too far apart for a directional antenna to pickup (assuming the xmitters are not close or it's not a cheap antenna). You have to p[oint the antenna either one way or the other though you may get lucky and point it half way in between and get them all. Assuming that doesn't happen, when you do a scan say for the five station bunch those other three won't get included.
With many sets if you enter either the actual channel number in say 38.1 or the NAB/FCC re-mapped channel 2.1 (assuming these are examples) the sets tuner will not accept the entry because it is not in the original scan. Now, some sets will. This is what I was trying to determine. It's usually not in the instructions.
Some of the newer sets have a separate feature to "add digital channels" by doing another scan that doesn't erase the original list as a re-scan usually does.

I have no idea why the Asians can't seem to understand this comming out with tuners that wouldn't allow this in the first place. What, they all think every xmitter in the same market is in the same location?
post #141 of 6625
Separate observation.
I just got back demoing this set, but since BB doesn't have a clue what they re doing, the set on the floor for the last three weeks has either a vertical sync or a de-interlacing problem, so I wasn't really able to make much of a judgement. What I did notice was this;

Looking for video processing delay I demoed a Mits, JVC and two Sammys (this years and last years 'floating design") sets and to my surprise the Mits had the shortest delay (if any). Last years Sammy 720 'R' series had the most (no surprise), followed by this years 'S', then the JVC 1080 (another big surprise) and finally the Mits 1080.

All sets had the same component feed and were side by side. I was watching video with numerous scene changes. I centered my vision in the center of the four sets and through peripheral vision watched each scene change to see which set showed the next scene first and which show the change last. It took a while to verify the results, but that was what I came up with.

I was very surprised that the JVC was slower (taking longer to display the scene change) than the Mits 1080.
post #142 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohurst View Post

OK, it seems my 61FN97 has a non-working HDMI digital in 1. It worked until today...I hooked up a 2nd DirecTV H20 direct (bypassing the JVC A/V) and still no picture.

Any ideas on how to further test this before I take it back to the store?

I have a JVC HD-61FH96 and after working great for 7 months my HDMI ports somehow became DISABLED (sound from digital cable but no picture through the HDMI cable). I was able to RESET the HDMI ports via the following information. Not sure if it's the same for the new sets but I suspect it is.

Go to this page
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=70&pp=30
and read my post # 2075.

Hope this helps.
post #143 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_av_newbee View Post

I have a JVC HD-61FH96 and after working great for 7 months my HDMI ports somehow became DISABLED (sound from digital cable but no picture through the HDMI cable). I was able to RESET the HDMI ports via the following information. Not sure if it's the same for the new sets but I suspect it is.

Go to this page
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=70&pp=30
and read my post # 2075.

Hope this helps.

THANKS -
I did the reset but without unplugging the power and it worked.

I have a question though --
does your unit remain on the same input after your power off and then turn it back on? I need mine to stay on digital in 1 all the time.
post #144 of 6625
Well, I just heard today, from a reliable scource this time, at JVC that the FH97 series sets started shipping today to distribution warehouses. I also inquired about the bulbs in the new sets and they replied that Philips had problems with the bulbs in the 96 series sets. They have been replaced, and are now rated at 7000 hrs half life. at 4500 hrs you will get a notification that its time to start thinking about a new bulb.

I was also told that the ONLY store in the country that has the FN97 series sets is Best Buy. They will not carry the FH97

I saw an earlier post about HDMI 1.3. All this years sets have HDMI 1.0. They are not going to implement anything else until next year. The reason for this is because up until 1.3 all revisions (1.1, 1.2, 1.2a) have had to do with audio. 1.3 incorporates 48bit color. So this is likely to be implemented next year. This years set does support the new cable card technology that allows two way communication. Or CableCard 2.0 as it has been dubbed.
post #145 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majeskty View Post

Any one has any dates for release of the 56" model of FH97

They're available now here in Canada so they should be out soon in the US. I ordered mine a few days ago.
post #146 of 6625
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemandan View Post

Alright guys, I gotta ask this...hows the PC and console gaming on these sets? Also, anyone know the max refresh rate thru component, s-video, HDMI, etc? Are they all limited to 60hz?

Thanks!

We are limited to the Sony PS2 with its component video input at this point. According to my gaming fanatic Son, the video is awesome. I watached a bit, and did not perceive it to be a 480i picture blown up to fill a large screen. In other words, just like the way it handles Digital Cable, the processing is very good.

I can't wait for PS3/BlueRay, and real pure 1080i input. (1080i Cable HD feed is absolutely awesome, by the way.
post #147 of 6625
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-berta View Post

I thought Costco was supposedly getting the xxFC97 sets??

Any idea if the FC97's are really the same PQ, just different cabinet and no center input, gold plated terminals or RS232 input?? A dealer here is supposed to get some in 2 weeks.

The C for Costco was pure speculation over on the speculation thread. All of the the technical info on all three models FC, FH and FN were identical. All menu options on the menus were idential (with exceptions already noted, like no center channel setup on the FC model) on all three models.

NOTE TO IBNJA: Don't let the "silver trim" bother you, it is a 1/4" wide edge at the extreme outer edge of the screen bezel. In a dark room, it is absolutely a non-issue. In a lighted room, the black edge of the all black bezel would also just as likely throw off a bright highlight that would be hard to distinguish from the silver. Get the screen size that fits first, and the features, like center channel input or RS232C input(FH only) or Computer input (FN and FH only) that are important to you.
post #148 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post

The C for Costco was pure speculation over on the speculation thread. All of the the technical info on all three models FC, FH and FN were identical. All menu options on the menus were idential (with exceptions already noted, like no center channel setup on the FC model) on all three models.

NOTE TO IBNJA: Don't let the "silver trim" bother you, it is a 1/4" wide edge at the extreme outer edge of the screen bezel. In a dark room, it is absolutely a non-issue. In a lighted room, the black edge of the all black bezel would also just as likely throw off a bright highlight that would be hard to distinguish from the silver. Get the screen size that fits first, and the features, like center channel input or RS232C input(FH only) or Computer input (FN and FH only) that are important to you.

I would agree, I could hardly see the silver, and had to look closer.
post #149 of 6625
I was very hung up on the silver trim and all set to get the FH until I saw the FN in BB - it is not an issue.
post #150 of 6625
A can of flat black and a good 1" brush will solve the problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official JVC HD-xxFH97 HD-xxFN97 HD-xxFC97 Owners Thread