Before I start to comment on my new 56FN97
, I would just like to thank you all for sharing on this thread. I found the information very helpful.
Now for my critique: BB setup my unit a few days ago.
1) The fan is noisy and can be heard only when the TV is playing at low volumes. So most of the time, you will not hear it. On the other hand, it is annoying just knowing it is there.
2) In High Definition the PQ is great and I love the set when HDTV signals are being pumped through it.
3) Standard Definition (SD) signals are, at least from my perspective, barely acceptible. I believe this is due to the technology and screen size, and probably would be a problem with any HDTV projection set.
4) The colors in HDTV are fantastic.
5) Size definitely matters. I'm not sure I like the size of this set. Part of me loves the large screen, another part of me wants to see more of the picture at the same time. This is one of the reasons I might send this unit back. I think I would be happier with a small unit if I am able to get a comprable PQ. If any of you have ideas about this, please comment.
6) Moving from one input to another is slow as reported. This is another negative from my perspective.
7) The SSE or SDE, depending on how you see it is very noticable to me. Our sitting area is about 11.5 feet from the TV and it is more noticeable than I would like. I moved the couch back a foot to see if it help and I would say, "not really".
8) Sound is great on the unit. Love it.
9) Menu's - Barely acceptable
10) TV - Controller - Barely acceptable
I really want to like this unit.
If I had one function I would like manufacturers to build into there HDTV's it would be this: It would be great, if technically possible, to be able to select the size of the image you want to watch on the screen. For example, I would like to be able to select a 50" image rather than the 55" image that is standard. I don't know if this can or can not be easily done with the technology. I do know that if it could be I would have no reason to want to take this unit back for a 50" SRVX.
I watched the opening game on Thursday night (dolphins - steelers). The images were great when you shown relatively static scenes that the camera could easily focus on. Examples, faces, helmets, uniforms when players were in the huddle. Moving images, such as runs and other plays, were distracting for me. Just was not a clear for me and with the size of the image at 55"'s it was extremely distracting. That's just my personal opinion. My son thought having a HDTV was awesome. So, there you have it, some people are more particular than others...
Please feel free to make suggestions and/or comments.
That's about it for now. Thanks again for those of you who have posted.