or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official JVC HD-xxFH97 HD-xxFN97 HD-xxFC97 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JVC HD-xxFH97 HD-xxFN97 HD-xxFC97 Owners Thread - Page 218

post #6511 of 6625
If you need a bulb, get it thru Discount Merchant.com . They are PHILLIPS bulbs.
I have been thru three bulbs and the Phillips lasted the longest and was the brightest of the three, by alot. They have free shipping right now too! (I ordered one yesterday). If you can turn a screwdriver, order the one w/o the housing to save a few bucks.



http://www.discount-merchant.com/Sea...ch=TS-CL110UAA
post #6512 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedclampit View Post

If you need a bulb, get it thru Discount Merchant.com . They are PHILLIPS bulbs.
I have been thru three bulbs and the Phillips lasted the longest and was the brightest of the three, by alot. They have free shipping right now too! (I ordered one yesterday). If you can turn a screwdriver, order the one w/o the housing to save a few bucks.

http://www.discount-merchant.com/Sea...ch=TS-CL110UAA

Wow...pricy!! Amazon has that same bulb for almost half that price! With housing!
post #6513 of 6625
Phillips bulb? Shoot me a link ,if you would, I just ordered one!
post #6514 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedclampit View Post

Phillips bulb? Shoot me a link ,if you would, I just ordered one!

http://amzn.com/B004SPHPI8
post #6515 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLucasTheatre View Post

http://amzn.com/B004SPHPI8

That's not a Philips lamp, it's what appears to be, in the opinion of the seller, an "OEM-equivalent".

That's like the Subaru salesman saying, sure, trust me, this is the equivalent of a BMW.
post #6516 of 6625
You get what you pay for, the knock off I had lasted no where near as long as the Phillips and the OE JVC.
Now none of them quit working, but the light output drops off alot quicker with the "equivlent", and I did not compare them side by side by my eyes and memory go for the Phillips, an OE JVC may be just as good.
The is an OSRAM brand bulb out there also @ laptopsforless.com.

Thanks for the link, good viewing to you, whatever you choose.
post #6517 of 6625
Hey guys --

Major problem to report (not the green/yellow blob).

The silver matte layer on the bottom right corner of my screen appears to have somehow melted off(?!).

Basically, it looks like a couple big triangular black shadows, as if someone put pieces of duct tape behind my screen. I removed the screen (for the first time ever) to see what the hell was going on...

And on the backside of the screen, this silver matte type finish just seems to have been wiped away in those few spots. I have the screen laying face-down on the floor, under a light... and the silver matte finish reflects most of the light back... but in the problem areas, you can just see right thru.

Anybody know what the hell happened, or more importantly how to fix/replace the screen? I have no clue. I have a 3.5 yr old daughter and a 10 month old son, so anything is possible, though I saw no attack on the TV.

ADDED:

Well, think I figured out HOW it happened. 3 yr daughter was left to her own devices for a few moments while my wife was getting the 10 month old ready for the pool, and I was finishing up work in the garage... in that short amount of time, she managed to move a chair to use as a step ladder to get Windex. I saw her in the kitchen with it when I came in the house, took it away and forgot about it... she must have managed to spray some on the TV before I caught her.

Does Windex seem like a likely culprit for what I've described?
post #6518 of 6625
I reconfigured my home theater room and upgraded to a larger set.

I've had the Pro 70" for 4 years and it has worked flawlessly and is in very good condition.

I'm selling the set in the southern California area, if anyone is interested, pm me.
post #6519 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP32 View Post

Hey guys --

Major problem to report (not the green/yellow blob).

The silver matte layer on the bottom right corner of my screen appears to have somehow melted off(?!).

Basically, it looks like a couple big triangular black shadows, as if someone put pieces of duct tape behind my screen. I removed the screen (for the first time ever) to see what the hell was going on...

And on the backside of the screen, this silver matte type finish just seems to have been wiped away in those few spots. I have the screen laying face-down on the floor, under a light... and the silver matte finish reflects most of the light back... but in the problem areas, you can just see right thru.

Anybody know what the hell happened, or more importantly how to fix/replace the screen? I have no clue. I have a 3.5 yr old daughter and a 10 month old son, so anything is possible, though I saw no attack on the TV.

ADDED:

Well, think I figured out HOW it happened. 3 yr daughter was left to her own devices for a few moments while my wife was getting the 10 month old ready for the pool, and I was finishing up work in the garage... in that short amount of time, she managed to move a chair to use as a step ladder to get Windex. I saw her in the kitchen with it when I came in the house, took it away and forgot about it... she must have managed to spray some on the TV before I caught her.

Does Windex seem like a likely culprit for what I've described?

Windex with Ammonia is very bad for plastics. We are always warned not to use it to clean the mirrors or lenses in these tvs, and I guess the screens. Generally it is supposed to cloud the plastic, haven't heard of this peeling.
post #6520 of 6625
I can get it on my other TV's to work. I have a JVC HD-56FH97 but under digital options on tuner all I see is Digital Cable/ATSC. The OTA works just poorly so wanted something more reliable than it. It doesn't pick up any channels
post #6521 of 6625
On the leftmost of the remote, just under INPUT, is a key labeled D/A that should switch you to the digital tuner.You probably have scanned for channels already. You need some sort or antenna to pick anything up, bunny ears usually will do.
Go to http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx to see what you should be able to get.
post #6522 of 6625
I got it to work fine now. It was actually something stupid. The splitter was bad. Didn't see that coming. It picked up hundreds of channels. The only problem was most were encrypted so had to sort through them.
post #6523 of 6625
I'm new here and recently acquired one of these in trade from a friend. It's a JVC HD-56FN97. I was hoping I'd get this working, unfortunately I found out last week that I need the light engine fixed and it's just not worth it. So, on that note if anyone needs parts from mine, I'd rather help out folks rather than scrapping the whole thing. I'm in Portland, Or so PM me for anything you need. I'd rather not deal with shipping so hopefully there are some local PNW folks that need parts. I have 2 bulbs that work great along with everything else...except the light engine. (rolleyes)
post #6524 of 6625
Hi All,

While browsing at my local Costco today they had a 60" Panasonic TC-60PS34 on sale for $1000. I currently have a JVC HD61FH97 LCOS rear projection that I purchased in late 2006. Its a good set and still performs well with regular bulb changes.

Right now I don't have the disposable cash to go buy a 65" 3D set and related Blu ray player but I couldn't help but wonder if the picture quality of the Panny will be significantly better than my current set. I think its an entry level plasma but for $1K I can't really go wrong.

Any ideas or opinions on this?
post #6525 of 6625
Hey, guys. I've had a 70FH97 for almost 5 years, and the original lamp finally popped last week. I ordered a replacement Philips lamp from DiscountTVLamps.com, who I've used in the past (to replace the same lamp in my Father-in-law's set). However, after replacing the lamp, my set is actually DIMMER than it was with the 5 year-old lamp! I'm sending it back for a replacement, but is there anything else that might be causing this problem?

I'm sure my set could use a good cleaning, but even so, I would expect the new lamp to be brighter than the old one. I remember when I first got my set, the dynamic setting would hurt my eyes, and even with that on now, it seems dim.

FYI, I did finally notice a little yellow blob issue after changing the lamp, so I'm sure I'll be shopping for a replacement soon -- just didn't notice it until I was tweaking settings. Just hoping to get a little more time out of this one. What's a good replacement nowadays?
post #6526 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzmisl View Post

Hi All,

While browsing at my local Costco today they had a 60" Panasonic TC-60PS34 on sale for $1000. I currently have a JVC HD61FH97 LCOS rear projection that I purchased in late 2006. Its a good set and still performs well with regular bulb changes.

Right now I don't have the disposable cash to go buy a 65" 3D set and related Blu ray player but I couldn't help but wonder if the picture quality of the Panny will be significantly better than my current set. I think its an entry level plasma but for $1K I can't really go wrong.

Any ideas or opinions on this?

I have a 42" plasma and 42" LCD in addition to my 61" LCoS. IMO, the LCoS is better than both. With a new bulb every couple years its like getting a new set each time. I personally wouldn't replace the JVC if it is still working well.
post #6527 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by klgood1 View Post

Hey, guys. I've had a 70FH97 for almost 5 years, and the original lamp finally popped last week. I ordered a replacement Philips lamp from DiscountTVLamps.com, who I've used in the past (to replace the same lamp in my Father-in-law's set). However, after replacing the lamp, my set is actually DIMMER than it was with the 5 year-old lamp! I'm sending it back for a replacement, but is there anything else that might be causing this problem?

I'm sure my set could use a good cleaning, but even so, I would expect the new lamp to be brighter than the old one. I remember when I first got my set, the dynamic setting would hurt my eyes, and even with that on now, it seems dim.

FYI, I did finally notice a little yellow blob issue after changing the lamp, so I'm sure I'll be shopping for a replacement soon -- just didn't notice it until I was tweaking settings. Just hoping to get a little more time out of this one. What's a good replacement nowadays?

There's not substitute for a good bulb (Philips is the correct MFG, I believe). I would (have) paid more for quality. It was very apparent when I changed the bulb. Much brighter.

The "yellow blob" you describe sounds very much like the issue most of us have had with these sets. The bulb is not the cause. Its a defect in the light engine. Its not a cheap fix - mine was replaced under warranty.
post #6528 of 6625
My yellow blob has been getting worse. Might have to call a JVC shop soon here and get a quote. What did you guys pay for your LE repairs??
post #6529 of 6625
As I have found through some research, the light engine is no longer available.
And I have not found anyone that rebuilds them either.
I was quoted 1675 to repair my set by a authorized JVC service center, but they are unable to get the part, and I tried JVC directly, same story.

Bad business by JVC, can't concede to their mistake and provide replacement sets, like SONY has.And then not make the causeual part available!

I will never purchase their product again.
post #6530 of 6625
Hi..I have the JVC 56fn97. Picture is really messed up. Very bright colors and fuzzy. Lots of green hue. Swapped out hmdi and RCA cables. Swapped out cable box and tried a DVD as well. Could it be a lamp problem? Or is it the dreaded light engine I've been reading about on this thread? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #6531 of 6625
hey all. I had the 56 in model for 3 years before the bulb blew. Lucky for me, It blew just outside of my fancy best buy extended warranty by about a month!! Ah well I thought, I had a good run with that first bulb, I must've reset that lamp timer 4 times! Lucky for me, I won an Amazon gift card at work just that week, and it was enough to cover an OEM Philips Bulb, shipping and everything. Lucky me! Or so I thought.

After replacing the bulb, however , I started to get a purple spot just off of center, about 7 o'clock.. I really loved this set, so I told myself maybe there was an adjustment period for the bulb or something, and it would go away. It got worse, in about a weeks time the purple blob ended up being about 6 in in diameter. After 10 days, I developed what looked like a black rip inside of the blob where no picture is visible at all. This 'rip' is sizable, it makes it hard to play any kind of video games on for example.

JVC says its the light engine, and I went through that debacle with a Panasonic I had prior to this one, so I didn't ask how much (I never got the panny fixed, it became part of a class action lawsuit so I just upgraded to the JVC). They said there were no recalls or reports that would constitute repairs outside of the standard warranty. So, again, I upgraded - and unfortunately am having my share of bad luck with the new set as well

I paid just shy of 2 grand for this set, I would have hoped it would last me longer than a little over 3 years.

Just thought I'd share my story in case anyone has anything similar. Oh, and by the way, did any of you have to clean dust out from inside of this TV frequently? Seemed like any time I dusted behind the set, Id find nice black splotches on the picture the next time I'd sit down to watch it. I'd have to open the side panel up, clean the lense or the mirror with a microfiber cloth until I found the culprits. I had to do this all the friggin time! So much that I just stopped dusting the set as often so that I didn't have to open it up as much.
post #6532 of 6625
I've really enjoyed this television for many years, and it still competes with the best of what I've seen. But it's showing signs of the green/yellow blob in sections. If you had one of these, with this error in PQ, what would you feel comfortable in getting in a sale?

The Green/Yellow tint is only visible in specific circumstances, like a white background etc. Watching a movie it looks spectacular as it always has.
post #6533 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by samone View Post

Hi..I have the JVC 56fn97. Picture is really messed up. Very bright colors and fuzzy. Lots of green hue. Swapped out hmdi and RCA cables. Swapped out cable box and tried a DVD as well. Could it be a lamp problem? Or is it the dreaded light engine I've been reading about on this thread? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a problem where my hdmi will not work with my PS3 but will work with my dTV box. I called the warranty people a month before it ran out and the repair people have tried changing out the input board but that did not work. They have not returned for about a week. I have had periods of time when I have gotten either green tint all over or magenta tint all over. I have also had periods when the HDMI was working that it would, for lack of a better term, hiccup. It would for a split second show noise and emit audible noise. After a day or two it would straighten itself out and play normal. If repair cannot fix the HDMI I am not sure what I will do with the TV but hope I can get some type of an adjustment for a new TV.
post #6534 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwat View Post

I have a problem where my hdmi will not work with my PS3 but will work with my dTV box. I called the warranty people a month before it ran out and the repair people have tried changing out the input board but that did not work. They have not returned for about a week. I have had periods of time when I have gotten either green tint all over or magenta tint all over. I have also had periods when the HDMI was working that it would, for lack of a better term, hiccup. It would for a split second show noise and emit audible noise. After a day or two it would straighten itself out and play normal. If repair cannot fix the HDMI I am not sure what I will do with the TV but hope I can get some type of an adjustment for a new TV.

I have had this happen with mine after installing a new AV receiver. Is your PS3 connected to your set through a receiver? Also does anyone know if there is a way or even a need to update the firmware?
post #6535 of 6625
I have a friend that has a 56" unit and has run into a problem. He has an Xbox 360 connected to the tv via hdmi. He is wanting to connect a pair of turtle beach headphones for gaming that use a stereo RCA connection. He tried connecting these to the audio output RCA's on the tv but is not getting any sound. Is there a setting in the menus that needs to be changed? Looking at the manual for the unit it seems as though the only options are variable and fixed for the audio out which is just relating to how the volume is controlled. Are the audio outputs always active for a given input? Thanks!
post #6536 of 6625
I have a 56" JVC connected to my Onkyo A/V receiver and a Motorola cable box via HDMI. Sometimes when changing channels we see the green screen, but we still get audio.

Changing channels from standard def to hi-def usually causes a reset HDMI handshake during the resolution change and fixes the problem, otherwise we power cycle everything and all is fine. It happens periodically, but is not enough of a pain to do anything drastic.
post #6537 of 6625
Can someone please post a link or PM me the YA409 manual. The link that is used in this thread no longer works. Thanks
post #6538 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB_KSU View Post

I have a friend that has a 56" unit and has run into a problem. He has an Xbox 360 connected to the tv via hdmi. He is wanting to connect a pair of turtle beach headphones for gaming that use a stereo RCA connection. He tried connecting these to the audio output RCA's on the tv but is not getting any sound. Is there a setting in the menus that needs to be changed? Looking at the manual for the unit it seems as though the only options are variable and fixed for the audio out which is just relating to how the volume is controlled. Are the audio outputs always active for a given input? Thanks!

Funny.... I just ran into a similar problem. I wanted to attach a Turtle Beach headset via Optical-Out from the JVC, but didn't have any luck. I figured my TV had been taken apart and put together so many times that the optical out jack got screwed in the process (I've had 4 different Optical Blocks put in).

Maybe it has do to with not working with audio from HDMI inputs?
post #6539 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB_KSU View Post

I have a friend that has a 56" unit and has run into a problem. He has an Xbox 360 connected to the tv via hdmi. He is wanting to connect a pair of turtle beach headphones for gaming that use a stereo RCA connection. He tried connecting these to the audio output RCA's on the tv but is not getting any sound. Is there a setting in the menus that needs to be changed? Looking at the manual for the unit it seems as though the only options are variable and fixed for the audio out which is just relating to how the volume is controlled. Are the audio outputs always active for a given input? Thanks!

Digital audio that it input to the TV via HDMI is not transcoded and output to the optical audio output. The only time that optical audio output is active is when you are using the internal tuner of the TV.

The analog audio output should always be active for any audio source (hdmi, analog input, internal tuner). I don't think there is any menu option to enable this, it should always be active.
post #6540 of 6625
Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post

I posted the above in 12/08. It's a year later, so I thought I'd update my info. My TV is still running beautifully:
1. Model: 56FH97
2. Date manufactured (on back of TV): Aug 2006
3. Length of ownership: 29 months
4. Total hours viewed: 1950
5. Average hours watched per week: 17
6. Bulb replacements: None
9. Issues experienced (If any): None

I posted the above in 12/09. 2 more years have gone by, so time for another update.

1. Model: 56FH97
2. Date manufactured (on back of TV): Aug 2006
3. Length of ownership: 53 months
4. Total hours viewed: 3624
5. Average hours watched per week: 17
6. Bulb replacements: None
7. Ventilation: Sitting on a tabletop, so open air on all sides
8. Climate: 45 months desert (warm and dry). Last 8 months west coast (moderate temp and humidity).
9. Issues experienced (If any): No problems or repairs, but picture is noticeably more dim and dull than it used to be. Even though I only have 3600 hrs on the lamp, I plan on buying a new one to see if it improves the picture.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Official JVC HD-xxFH97 HD-xxFN97 HD-xxFC97 Owners Thread