Excellent. I think I am now 99% decided on the 46D62U. Like many of you I was considering the Sony and Samsung as well, and also debating about waiting for D92U and other things, but no more.
For me, the pros:
- Excellent price (the 46" is cheaper than a 40" Sony XBR2!)
- Excellent specs
- 1080p 1:1 mapping over HDMI --> perfect for HTPC
- Slim bezel, hidden speakers, overall looks nice (I have no opinion on the piano black finish, I don't hate it nor love it)
- Only 2x HDMI = will need a switch in the future if/when I get another HDMI device (i.e. HD-DVD/BluRay, can't think of anything else on top of HTPC and HD cable box), but other than the XBRs this is also an issue with Sony/Samsung.
- No HDMI 1.3 = I really don't think this will affect me. There are only two major advantages to HDMI 1.3 (see Wikipedia on HDMI 1.3): better color reproduction and lossless audio formats (Dolby ProHD and DTS-HD, only available on HD-DVD and BluRay). As for the color, I doubt after being wowed by the PQ difference between this and a 27" CRT I will care or notice increased color depth -- if it looks fantastic then it looks fantastic, does it matter if it can look slightly better? As for the audio, this has absolutely nothing to do with your TV. If you care that much about audio, you will pipe it straight to a receiver or decoder. If your HD-DVD/BluRay player has a built-in decoder, you don't even need HDMI 1.3 to carry the decoded signal. So in my opinion, it is not worth waiting until next year and missing half a season of HD programming just for these things.
- Can you think of others (except "piano black")?
Really I can't think of any reason to get Sony or Samsung over this, except for that 1% chance that after people start taking it home they discover some major issues. That's why I'm only 99% decided, but that should change in a couple weeks.